Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Just remember, pictures or it didn't happen smile.gif

Keep the updates coming on those subs! I

Believe me........I will take pictures! Seems that the "Call of Nature" has visited my home recently......................my Son seems to want to change the pecking order...............he maybe 6' 4" tall and 240 lbs...................but good ole' Dad knows all about leverage! wink.gif

Thinking of stuffing his car glove box and his work out bag with my flat pack packing peanuts................................seems like a good use of materials!!!! biggrin.gif

On the subject of subs......................received my second package today....................so I'm back to building!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1770 Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Just went thru your thread.
Awesome HT, how'd I miss this earlier?
My 2015/2016 PJ upgrade....4k like you with AT screen.

1) I really like your home style, the rustic look
2) see 1

I'm going to plagiarize your PJ wood cover and AV rack trim job, excellent work there.
Kudos for the style points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

New milestone..............

The Sony VPL-VW 1000ES has finally been installed....................
Took some time to have a friend of mine build and create a box to hid the power bridge and 2'' PVC pipe for connects.
I had the projector delivered the first of May, and today was the first time I gazed in the box. This projector is HUGE!!!!
Will follow with comments on my opinions of the projector...........I'm at 16.5 ft throw on a 140" wide 2.37 screen......hoping I have enough light.

Quote:

Evidently I received my A-31 rack shelf yesterday............went out to ranch to pick up and just finished installing. All I need now are the subs......
Checked tracking............S2 shows up on Tuesday. Will install.......measure..........and look for recommendations for fillers.
Here's a few pics of the finished.....for now.......rack.
post #363 of 1770 Old 12-19-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Just went thru your thread.
Awesome HT, how'd I miss this earlier?
My 2015/2016 PJ upgrade....4k like you with AT screen.

1) I really like your home style, the rustic look
2) see
Quote:

Thanks for the complements!

Probable reason for you missing thread was due to my lack of information at the onset of thread. I've tried to do a better job of late to help others with their builds.

My thread was one of the worst in regards to documenting building process as I was too stressed for time to do so!

BTW, I love your home..........rustic, lodge type decor in homes are far and few between. I'm an ex-city boy who loves to hunt, fish and help with cattle drives on horseback ......................love the good ole' days! biggrin.gif
post #364 of 1770 Old 12-19-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

I'm really looking forward to the clear skies with a high of 25 degrees and a low of 9 degrees! eek.gif

Reason why I mentioned temperatures, last night woke up several times due to very loud pops.....................well, our Australian Cypress seems to not like the cold weather! 8-10 very, very loud pops last night due to hardwood floor shrinkage............................

I will sleep better tonight knowing that. I was afraid it was my trusses giving out (this is my first home with hardwood floors).

Nice cozy home. How well does the vw1000 light your screen? Do you notice any convergence problems?

post #365 of 1770 Old 12-19-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I will sleep better tonight knowing that. I was afraid it was my trusses giving out (this is my first home with hardwood floors).

Nice cozy home. How well does the vw1000 light your screen? Do you notice any convergence problems?

My throw with the 1000 is just short of 17 ft and have close to 500 hours now...................no real light degradation. Picture is very bright............well, bright enough for me considering the negative gain on the S-SE 4k screen. After coming close to purchasing a 3 chip DLP, glad I went with the 1000ES. On the subject of convergence issue................none that I can see, but then again I have not really used any test patterns to verify. Picture is sharp, bright, and beautiful!

Roger Dressler was impressed with machine.....................was fortunate to have Roger visit my room..............great guy and very knowledgeable!

On the subject of hardwood floors, I've always used them in my three custom builds over the years......................with each build, wood floors seem to grow in size..................this build, we used close to 1200 sf of Australian Cypress which is a unique wood. Never heard popping in our past floors, but this Australian Cypress is a new breed......................beautiful, but will have to be more careful due to wood characteristics.
post #366 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well...................

Off to Harbor Freight for more 24 inch clamps then out to family ranch which is 25+ miles from home. There is a full size shop there........same place I built my columns for theater.

Titebond II glue in had.............kreg jig at shop.........need more screws......need more clamps............flat packs in hand........I'm good to go!

Will try to download a few pics of progress with sub cabs by tonight..............
post #367 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Just glue your flat packs, no need screws.

Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #368 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 10:26 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 278

It's 25 miles to the camp. I've got a full bottle of TiteBond, half a pack of Kreg screws. It's daylight and I'm wearing USC Trojan underwear....

HIT IT! smile.gif
post #369 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

It's 25 miles to the camp. I've got a full bottle of TiteBond, half a pack of Kreg screws. It's daylight and I'm wearing USC Trojan underwear....

HIT IT! smile.gif

Too funny! Classic....................

Trojan in my underwear? eek.gif

I'm too old to go there.............................................

Only dry fitted boxes and cleaned up surfaces today.............came home early as wife had things to do. rolleyes.gif

Tomorrow is glue day..................should go together real easy as pieces are tight and fit together perfectly. Looking forward to this process................would be much easier to purchase, but more fun to put together yourself. I have to build these two flat packs quick as I'm leaving town in a few days................
post #370 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today's work..............not much, but it's a start!

As earlier mentioned, tomorrow is glue...................then on to number two.

post #371 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Nothing more fun than building DIY subs IMO. Looking good!

War Eagle!
post #372 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just glue your flat packs, no need screws.

Thanks................

After reading your reply in sub build, I'm treading lightly as I'm one than goes beyond what is required...............I tend to over-build! I'm a little nervous about building a jig for enlarging inner baffle..................definitely need to enlarge the baffle to accept the UM-18. I'll dry fit the driver once it arrives before I go to town on router. Specs for UM-18 states 17" inside baffle...........I'm a hair over 16-3/4" with SI flat pack which means some of the bracing will have to be trimmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

Nothing more fun than building DIY subs IMO. Looking good!

I've built a lot of things in my life..............I'm looking forward to this one! My first sub..............but I still want to take out my kreg jig, but will take mtbdudex's advise. wink.gif

As far as looking good.....................guess I'm good at dry fitting!!!! biggrin.gif
post #373 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I'm a little nervous about building a jig for enlarging inner baffle..................definitely need to enlarge the baffle to accept the UM-18. I'll dry fit the driver once it arrives before I go to town on router. Specs for UM-18 states 17" inside baffle...........I'm a hair over 16-3/4" with SI flat pack which means some of the bracing will have to be trimmed.

Thinking about getting that front baffle perfect makes my head hurt. Just remember if you screw it up you can also make another one. Just build a jig or get a Jasper circle jig. Hell I will even mail mine to you if you want to use it.

War Eagle!
post #374 of 1770 Old 12-20-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

Thinking about getting that front baffle perfect makes my head hurt. Just remember if you screw it up you can also make another one. Just build a jig or get a Jasper circle jig. Hell I will even mail mine to you if you want to use it.

Wow...................trust me? biggrin.gif

Thanks, that's a kind, thoughtful offer......................never know, might take you up on the offer. I have until February to figure out if I'll need to take those measures. I wont prime and paint cabs until I dry fit the drivers. Strange that the HO-18 is that much smaller than the UM. The UXL-18 would fit perfectly.......but a one year warranty is my MAJOR issue. UM has 5 year which I feel very comfortable with.
post #375 of 1770 Old 12-21-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glue process begins! I have to hurry for Las Vegas Bowl...........12:30 PM. Less than 3 hours to complete job!!!eek.gif

Boy how I miss the days.................... "Fight On!"
post #376 of 1770 Old 12-21-2013, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Glue is done on one cab.............the baffles aren't glued due to driver situation. Not enough time to start 2nd cab..........

I do know one thing, I was short a few clamps...............other clamps were at shop 25 miles away, so I won't start the second until I have a minimum of 10 clamps.

Rushed, so I buttered both sides due to time element..............will not do that again. Too much glue as expected since I was in a rush. Will try to finish second cab tomorrow after church and then will get ready to visit my daughter overseas.

Merry Christmas everyone.............

post #377 of 1770 Old 12-22-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Looks good to me!

Merry Christmas and have a safe trip!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #378 of 1770 Old 12-23-2013, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All done with glue!

Easy as pie.....................have enough clamps is my suggestion. Second cab was much better put together due to more clamps and aligns true............more sanding on first build due to not having enough clamps.

Now the waiting game................will sand and fill, then wait for drivers. Will not attach baffles until drivers are in hand and all measurements are done to insure good fit. Am anticipating having to widen baffle..............but will verify.

February 12th is departure time aka. UM-18's................................

Have to get going............the misses is yelling at me!!!!!

Müssen Sie zum Flughafen!!!!!!

Auf Wiedersehen!!!!
post #379 of 1770 Old 12-30-2013, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Will be home in 5-6 hours!

New developments on subwoofer situation which happened while I was away. Been tough being away with out my laptop, but still kept tabs on what was happening from afar!

No jet lag, I'm raring to finish cabs and talk about my Peavey IPR2 7500 purchase and for now, two UXL-18's. Holy cow......I must be getting in touch with my feminine side since I keep changing my sub driver configuration. There's a rationale behind my decision to change........

Lots more pictures coming with sub cabs.........to be honest, I'm having so much more fun building the subs, wished I would have done so from the beginning! We shall see if I change my mind when all is said and done!

BTW, using a cell on AVS is painful! biggrin.gif
post #380 of 1770 Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Came home to this after 28 hours of being awake..................decided to get interior chalked and glued................

Decided to spend 40 minutes to seal interior bracing and seams with Liquid Nails I was absolutely exhausted but I can be a task-master..................many DIY posters feel there is no need to use PL Premium or such, but I feel better adding the sealant due to not using Kreg jig.

Glued the top of 2nd cab and left over night...........................today, began sanding which is MOST time consuming.................

For the most part, most seams fit like a glove especially on 2nd cab, so minimal wood filler..................the first cab another story. I'm hoping to get away with primer covering most glue seams.

Tomorrow will begin priming using Rustoleum Zinzer 123 with added black tint.........................
post #381 of 1770 Old 12-31-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Looks good to me!

Merry Christmas and have a safe trip!

Thanks....................................same to you..............and have a Happy New Year too!

BTW, boy do I miss my daughter.....................she needs to move back to the States.................but I'm not very convincing! frown.gif
post #382 of 1770 Old 12-31-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice progress on the subs....

post #383 of 1770 Old 12-31-2013, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice progress on the subs....

Thanks,

I'm enjoying the experience and wished I had started building subs much earlier but felt at the time building subs would slow me down on room.

I have 4 Ultimax drivers reserved, along with two UXL's in the recent group buy. I now have to decide between Peavey ipr2 5000 or 7500 along with which driver.
With my wife wanting to get another seat for front row ie. she wants to sit in center too..........I may have to forego end table subs. So..........

No modifications needed with sub cabs for UXL...........therefore leaning that way regarding drivers. Drop in always sounds good to me!
post #384 of 1770 Old 01-01-2014, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Getting ready for the big day in college football..........but between games I'll be using these items to sand and get first of two coats of primer. Hopefully, will have pictures of first coat.

At the end of all this, I'll try to put together a list of all items and total cost of project. So far, I expect to be well under the cost of an S2 yet with much better performance........well, the expectation at least.
post #385 of 1770 Old 01-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
doublewing...I need your shipping address and phone/email contact info for your two UXL-18 drivers. Please PM that info to me
post #386 of 1770 Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post

doublewing...I need your shipping address and phone/email contact info for your two UXL-18 drivers. Please PM that info to me

Thanks,

Done!

I was holding on to the last minute.......,

4 Ultimax 18's or two UXL's..........

Guess my wife wins and will be adding a forth seat in front row..........hope adding two UXL's will be the ticket!

post #387 of 1770 Old 01-01-2014, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First coat of primer on......

Had to add another layer of Elmer's wood filler due to not wanting any seams to show. Will come back in an hour and sand smooth with another coat of primer.
post #388 of 1770 Old 01-02-2014, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Second coat of primer done,,,,,,,all sanding done. The toughest job of this build......so far......has been process of smoothing all seams. Having several tack cloths around has been very helpful........haven't played around with MDF much........much prefer plywood!!

Will begin spray painting one can of Rust-oleum flat black per cab this morning.....then tomorrow finish up with one can of Rust-oleum truck bed coating per cab.

post #389 of 1770 Old 01-02-2014, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First coat of flat black paint................................tomorrow, truck liner black!

post #390 of 1770 Old 01-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Very nice!!!

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page