post #451 of 1811 Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

EDIT - I will respond to the other questions you have on automation and wiring when I return home today....airline depending, of course. It's always a crapshoot during these winter storms. I'll go through each piece of equipment and post a detail here of how I'd recommend setting it up. I can't check at the moment, but hopefully your first post has a listing all of your current equipment.

Here is the equipment Tim,

Dish Hopper
Marantz 8801
Oppo 103
Panamax MB 1500
Halo A-31
Ati 1807
Sony 1000ES
GE GRX 3106

Peavey ipr2 7500 but will be manually operated
Trinnov TEQ-12.......hopefully, by June

That's my equipment in rack and what I plan to use for automation.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1811 Old 01-25-2014, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 307
My post regarding IR control of the 3000 series Grafik Eye: http://www.avsforum.com/t/557480/the-definitive-grafik-eye-master-thread/1320#post_23295553

I'm gettin' to the gettin' now, but will come back to this when I take a break around lunch.
post #453 of 1811 Old 01-25-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My post regarding IR control of the 3000 series Grafik Eye: http://www.avsforum.com/t/557480/the-definitive-grafik-eye-master-thread/1320#post_23295553

I'm gettin' to the gettin' now, but will come back to this when I take a break around lunch.

Well get'er done! Take your time.....no rush as I just found out yesterday the Peavey ipr2 doesn't arrive until late February......bummer! Anticipated this due to some venders in December were out of stock and showed February for next shipment.

So........my electrician is on hold until all is in place. Nice having one of my ex-players being my designated electrician.....he has been golden!!

Anyhow, GREAT MOMENTS in Oregon history! Oregon Coast.......sun is out, no wind......and close to 60 degrees F. Miracle........or a very RARE event!

post #454 of 1811 Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well.........I've chosen sides:

Once a "Trojan.....a Trojan for life!"

With more than 18 Seahawk fans crammed in my theater room and overflow in second area, Northwest football receives recognition!

Predicted Score:

Seahawks 24

Denver 20

biggrin.gif
post #455 of 1811 Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I came across this new remote from RTI today: http://www.rticorp.com/products/wireless-interfaces/t2x-universal-controller.html

It uses bi-directional Zigbee for metadata feedback, meaning it is one of the few independent remotes you can use to browse your media server from the remote itself and without a display turned on. There's plenty of other bells and whistles as well.

I haven't forgotten about your rack plan, I just over-committed a bit! biggrin.gif
post #456 of 1811 Old 01-28-2014, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I came across this new remote from RTI today: http://www.rticorp.com/products/wireless-interfaces/t2x-universal-controller.html

It uses bi-directional Zigbee for metadata feedback, meaning it is one of the few independent remotes you can use to browse your media server from the remote itself and without a display turned on. There's plenty of other bells and whistles as well.

I haven't forgotten about your rack plan, I just over-committed a bit! biggrin.gif

When you say come across, did you actually demo the remote and play with it? I'm vaguely familiar with RTI and have a dealer real close who can do installs. I've checked into Savant and closest dealer is in Washington State.........not conveinent.

What are your thoughts? Not like my one room automation is going to be a challenge.......the challenge is having my wife operate the system with out me getting involved or fixing her mistakes! biggrin.gif

Once again, your help is most appreciated and take your time getting back to me! You haven't steered me in wrong direction yet! wink.gif
post #457 of 1811 Old 01-28-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

When you say come across, did you actually demo the remote and play with it? I'm vaguely familiar with RTI and have a dealer real close who can do installs. I've checked into Savant and closest dealer is in Washington State.........not conveinent.

What are your thoughts? Not like my one room automation is going to be a challenge.......the challenge is having my wife operate the system with out me getting involved or fixing her mistakes! biggrin.gif

Once again, your help is most appreciated and take your time getting back to me! You haven't steered me in wrong direction yet! wink.gif

Came across it on the web, not in real life. But in thoroughly reading all of the documentation, it ticks every box you could possibly want.

The rule of thumb is that the higher end the control system, the easier it is for the user to operate. The caveat is that you have to have a competent programmer to effectively stand behind this statement. And it's all about the user interface to create intuitive and straight-forward operation. The RTI remote is $899. The introductory Savant system is just $100 more and includes a much more robust controller at the head-end. The Savant remote in the $999 deal is not as capable as the RTI, but that could also be perceived as "less confusing" for the wife. As always, my advice is to work with a local dealer who has one of each type on hand so you can touch, feel and get a sense of what you like and what you don't....and definitely bring the wife along for the trip. She might fuss, but it's for her own good! tongue.gif

One-room control systems really open up the playing field of choices because the systems are generally not scalable. If you foresee any automation "creep" in the future, especially with the deluge of wireless devices, then I'd definitely go the Savant route because it is a scalable system. If not, the RTI deserves a fair shake or even the Logitech Ultimate remote as the minimum of what I would consider for your system.

Let me "tick the boxes" of control options for each piece of equipment you have and how I would design it for bulletproof operation. In terms of control protocols, I look to TCP/IP first, followed by RS-232, both of which are bidirectional communication protocols. And lastly IR and simple 12v triggers which are both unidirectional. IP and RS-232 are by-far the preferred methods because they can give status-state feedback to the control system which adds to the "bulletproofing". biggrin.gif
post #458 of 1811 Old 01-29-2014, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok.........what is with all this subwoofer delays? First I was told my Peavey ipr2 7500 would be delayed......now my drivers are being delayed until early to mid-April? What the heck? I had to wait almost three months for my JTR S2.........now this!!! rolleyes.gif

From Rory Buszka: Dayton Audio

Gentlemen, I have a bit of news.

We are expecting the arrival of the Ultimax 18" driver to be delayed until early to mid-April.

During our in-house testing of a prototype unit, we discovered a reliability issue with one of the crucial adhesive bonds within the moving structure under certain conditions. We have since resolved the issue with our build house (by increasing the amount of epoxy at this joint and upgrading the voice coil former wrap to resin-impregnated glass fiber, and also changing the tinsel lead wire dress to a more robust loop weave that allows for more travel with less strain), and extensive reliability testing of the new prototype beyond the point of abuse has shown the problem to be completely eliminated; the affected adhesive joint is now practically indestructible, and the "weak link" is now the thermal limit of the voice coil. However, the resulting delay from addressing this issue caused us to miss bringing the driver to production before the Chinese New Year holiday, when manufacturing in China shuts down for nearly a month. As a result, production cannot begin until late February, and the speed of ocean shipment accounts for the rest of the new ETA. The product will be available for shipment as soon as we receive it.

We would much rather provide a high quality product later than a poor quality product sooner, so this delay was unavoidable in our view. However, it means that some of you who have preordered UM18's will be waiting longer for your production drivers. Some of you may wish to cancel your preorders or choose other drivers, and that is something we are prepared to accept. The excitement around this affordable, high-performing driver has led to a large number of preorders, but we at Dayton Audio are still confident that this will be a spectacular product once it is in-stock and available.

Also, while we have not had similar trouble with the other Ultimax models (since the Ultimax 18 undergoes quite a bit more VC travel and mechanical stress), the lessons learned in the development of the Ultimax 18 will flow down to future production units of the other Ultimax models, to increase their mechanical ruggedness.

Thank you all for your interest in our Ultimax series, and we look forward to serving you with more top-quality loudspeaker products in the future.

Best regards,

Rory Buszka
Product Manager
Dayton Audio
post #459 of 1811 Old 01-29-2014, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My sentiments on another long wait for Ultimax 18 drivers! Wait equates to six long months!!!! mad.gif
post #460 of 1811 Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well frustration with another 2-3 month delay with Dayton Ultimax 18 drivers has me contemplating starting over with subwoofer application.

Thinking of selling JTR S2 because I can't spit and place each driver at 1/4 space along front wall. Going back to drawing board.......seems like a consistent pattern in my build!redface.gif

What I'm thinking if doing, sell S2 and pair of Diysoundgroup cabs I built and start over building four SI-24ht subs each placed at 1/4 space in front and back wall. Cabs will have to be larger ie.10cf......but can be easily hidden in back and front screen wall. Here are the locations for my planned subs........

Looks like I may have to buy another Peavey ipr2 7500
post #461 of 1811 Old 02-04-2014, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Came across it on the web, not in real life. But in thoroughly reading all of the documentation, it ticks every box you could possibly want.

The rule of thumb is that the higher end the control system, the easier it is for the user to operate. The caveat is that you have to have a competent programmer to effectively stand behind this statement. And it's all about the user interface to create intuitive and straight-forward operation. The RTI remote is $899. The introductory Savant system is just $100 more and includes a much more robust controller at the head-end. The Savant remote in the $999 deal is not as capable as the RTI, but that could also be perceived as "less confusing" for the wife. As always, my advice is to work with a local dealer who has one of each type on hand so you can touch, feel and get a sense of what you like and what you don't....and definitely bring the wife along for the trip. She might fuss, but it's for her own good! tongue.gif

One-room control systems really open up the playing field of choices because the systems are generally not scalable. If you foresee any automation "creep" in the future, especially with the deluge of wireless devices, then I'd definitely go the Savant route because it is a scalable system. If not, the RTI deserves a fair shake or even the Logitech Ultimate remote as the minimum of what I would consider for your system.

Let me "tick the boxes" of control options for each piece of equipment you have and how I would design it for bulletproof operation. In terms of control protocols, I look to TCP/IP first, followed by RS-232, both of which are bidirectional communication protocols. And lastly IR and simple 12v triggers which are both unidirectional. IP and RS-232 are by-far the preferred methods because they can give status-state feedback to the control system which adds to the "bulletproofing". biggrin.gif

Hey T,

Just got back with wife in tow looking at control systems..............

One place didn't have the remote you suggested but received all literature...............problem with this place, they are the only RTI dealer in 50 mile radius and are just a notch better than Geek Squad types at Best Buy! They sell high end appliances, video/audio.....furniture and the like and am worried about quality of install!

We went to another store front that specializes in Crestron installs......but they do carry URC as their low cost alternative. As you know already, my last home had full blown Crestron for lighting, audio/video and I won't go there again! biggrin.gif

Have inquiry to Savant but nearest dealer/installer is in Washington State..........willing to pay more fore reliable system wife can use and have budgeted $4000-$5000 for top notch install.........

Thinking of Control4 as possibility..........I have faith in one integrator who supports Control4.
post #462 of 1811 Old 02-05-2014, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 264
DW11, that sucks on the delay of those 18" sub drivers.
Possible you could use SI 18"s instead ? 4cu ft boxes you built would work.
But.....going 4 24" subs that would be big league territory... Huge!

Fwiw, my brother in law has control4 whole home, including his HT, and has high praise for it.

Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #463 of 1811 Old 02-05-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I would also recommend checking out Control4. I just recently had it installed for my theater and family room electronics, no lighting or environmental controls yet. I like it, and so far the WAF is much higher than I thought it would be (which is arguable more important). It is definitely different than Savant, both interface and hardware, so preferences will play a big role in the decision.

Psychdoc also just installed C4 in his theater. Might be another resource for some questions. Good luck.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #464 of 1811 Old 02-05-2014, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Possible you could use SI 18"s instead ? 4cu ft boxes you built would work.
But.....going 4 24" subs that would be big league territory... Huge!

Fwiw, my brother in law has control4 whole home, including his HT, and has high praise for it.

Yeah, it seems every time I get into the ULF realm, either long delays or out of stock. I ordered the four UM's in November and won't see product until late April or even May!

My daughter visits in March and have been scrambling to finally get everything in place..........lost my motivation on learning Dayton drivers are delayed for 2-1/2 months!eek.gif

I'm seriously thinking of selling S2 for four SI-24's. JTR must have a solid backing as I have had several interested parties in purchasing sub........also helps pricing on S2 is going up $300 soon!biggrin.gif

On subject of SI-24's, a respected poster asked me to check into sealed cab size for the SI-24's as Nick at SI has stated 10 cubes for sealed. Evidently, qtc values are a little high but have been in contact with another respected "bass head" here at AVS who believes the 10 cubes should be fine with the driver. Have to dig deeper due to not wanting to make another costly mistake.

Without a doubt, four SI-24's would be ample for my room!
post #465 of 1811 Old 02-05-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Possible you could use SI 18"s instead ?

With the SI-18's discounted, very tempting...........

Thanks for the heads up on Control4.............hopefully, my wife likes the GI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

I would also recommend checking out Control4. I just recently had it installed for my theater and family room electronics, no lighting or environmental controls yet. I like it, and so far the WAF is much higher than I thought it would be (which is arguable more important). It is definitely different than Savant, both interface and hardware, so preferences will play a big role in the decision.

Psychdoc also just installed C4 in his theater. Might be another resource for some questions. Good luck.

WAF is the biggest hurdle! She's an extremely intelligent person yet is not tech savvy at all! She even has issues with Dish Hopper remote and keeps changing inputs to processor without knowing and then calls for my help!rolleyes.gif

I'm really interested in Savant, but am willing to give Control4 a try as there are many good integrators in area that are Control4 dealers.
post #466 of 1811 Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

DW11-winISD is really easy to model subwoofers.
Download it, go to HTS and then download the TS parameter file for the 24" sub and model away.

Box size, power, etc.
Really you need to try it.

I'd do it....but I'm getting ready to watch some HDTV.

post #467 of 1811 Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DW11-winISD is really easy to model subwoofers.
Download it, go to HTS and then download the TS parameter file for the 24" sub and model away.

Box size, power, etc.
Really you need to try it.

I'd do it....but I'm getting ready to watch some HDTV.

Thanks,

Several months ago I decided to download winISD and went through list of drivers but had no info on drivers I was looking at. Didn't know HTS had available info on specific drivers so I'll revisit. Going to get stranded today due to snow, so will get to it ASAP.

BTW, getting ready to order wire for subs. I have 1 inch snurf tubing from rack to front and rear available. Trying to decide between running two separate 10 or 12 gauge runs........or one run of 4 conductor 12 gauge speaker wire. I like idea of sending one wire through tubing due to ease of pulling. I have my lube recommended my TMcG so should be easier than the XLR cable I pulled for front.......TMcG also recommend two runs but not looking forward to that!

Will I see better results with high wattage using 10 gauge rather than 12 gauge? I hate the idea of pulling two runs through 1 inch tubing!!!!eek.gif
post #468 of 1811 Old 02-06-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick check during lunch, http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/14410-downloadable-winisd-pro-files.html

I see the SI 15" and 18" files there, but not the 24", so you need to type them in.
I've typed them in myself for the 12" Utlimax when it first came out, there is a specific order to type them in for the program to correctly store them, post #1 here will guide you for manual input, http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/6330-winisd-pro-tutorial-download-detailed-guide-how-use-winisd-pro.html

a good explain of what they mean:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/6329-ts-parameters-thiele-small-parameters.html
post #469 of 1811 Old 02-06-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Use 12ga, you cannot get 10ga wire stranded wire to fit into the Speakon Cable Connector's....
The spec shows 12 ga stranded / 10 ga soldered, I like the ability to easily remove my connector if needed.....I've used 12 ga wire for all my subwoofers.
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190#lblProductDetails

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/spx-series/nl4fx
http://www.neutrik.com/zoolu-website/media/download/207/Product+Guide+2013%2C+04+speakON
Quote:
Wire size 1.5 - 4 mm2 (AWG 12)
for 6 mm2 (AWG 10) remove screw & solder
doublewing11 likes this.
post #470 of 1811 Old 02-06-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Use 12ga, you cannot get 10ga wire stranded wire to fit into the Speakon Cable Connector's....
The spec shows 12 ga stranded / 10 ga soldered, I like the ability to easily remove my connector if needed.....I've used 12 ga wire for all my subwoofers.
https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nl4fx-speakon-spx-cable-connector-4p--092-190#lblProductDetails

http://www.neutrik.com/en/speakon/spx-series/nl4fx
http://www.neutrik.com/zoolu-website/media/download/207/Product+Guide+2013%2C+04+speakON

Thanks!

Thoughts on two runs of 12 or single run of 4 conductor 12 gauge?
post #471 of 1811 Old 02-06-2014, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd use the 12/2, just because if you use 12/4 it may limit your tweaking placement of the 2nd sub.
I used 12/2 and gave about 2 feet extra for tweaking, it's coiled in back and nobody sees it.

post #472 of 1811 Old 02-06-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd use the 12/2, just because if you use 12/4 it may limit your tweaking placement of the 2nd sub.
I used 12/2 and gave about 2 feet extra for tweaking, it's coiled in back and nobody sees it.

I can understand that response......

I will be using two Speakon wall plates and have two 15ft Speakon cables for manipulating subs........here is where I'm placing wall plates......below 20 amp receptacle.......

post #473 of 1811 Old 02-06-2014, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well.........

I am now committed to change!biggrin.gif

Have my JTR S2 posted in AVS classified!

Now to find four of something.........

Let the research begin. Four SI-24's......four LMS-U's.........or four of something else. I've got the DIY bug for sure! Talk about fun! biggrin.gif

I'm open to suggestions and will be pestering those in the know regarding ULF.
post #474 of 1811 Old 02-07-2014, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

If you want U-LF, get yourself one of these.

-

post #475 of 1811 Old 02-07-2014, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

Well.........

I am now committed to change!biggrin.gif

Have my JTR S2 posted in AVS classified!

Now to find four of something.........

Let the research begin. Four SI-24's......four LMS-U's.........or four of something else. I've got the DIY bug for sure! Talk about fun! biggrin.gif

I'm open to suggestions and will be pestering those in the know regarding ULF.

Awesome, welcome to the dark side. biggrin.gif

I love the LMS's, but there are as capable subs out there for less. If looking at SI's, I wouldn't discount the 18's. They are discontinuing their HT lineup and staying with car audio going forward (with the exception of the 24), and you can pick up the last of the 18's for around 200 each.

I'm sick as a dog, so hopefully my math is right, lol.

4 SI24's will give you a total surface area of about 1808, at a cost of 800 each or $3,200 total for four subs.
8 SI18's will give you a surface area of about 2032, at a cost of 200 each or $1,600 total for 8 subs (give or take on shipping).
16 SI18's will give you a surface area of about 4064, well over twice the 4 24's for the same price.

The 8 si's would require the same amount of airspace as the 4 24's so box size shouldn't be a huge difference. Xmax is a lot more for the 24, but when approaching these numbers in multiples, this becomes less of an issue. More subs also provide additional flexibility in improving FR.
doublewing11 likes this.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #476 of 1811 Old 02-07-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

But bass addict..... Those 24's entail bragging rights!!!!
To heck with logic and best value...
What about the cubic volume displacement comparison?

post #477 of 1811 Old 02-07-2014, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

If you want U-LF, get yourself one of these.

What is the going rate for a Thigpen? $20,000+ ?eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #478 of 1811 Old 02-07-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:

But bass addict..... Those 24's entail bragging rights!!!!
To heck with logic and best value...

That's true; what was I thinking lol.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #479 of 1811 Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

Awesome, welcome to the dark side. biggrin.gif

I love the LMS's, but there are as capable subs out there for less. If looking at SI's, I wouldn't discount the 18's. They are discontinuing their HT lineup and staying with car audio going forward (with the exception of the 24), and you can pick up the last of the 18's for around 200 each.

I'm sick as a dog, so hopefully my math is right, lol.

4 SI24's will give you a total surface area of about 1808, at a cost of 800 each or $3,200 total for four subs.
8 SI18's will give you a surface area of about 2032, at a cost of 200 each or $1,600 total for 8 subs (give or take on shipping).
16 SI18's will give you a surface area of about 4064, well over twice the 4 24's for the same price.

The 8 si's would require the same amount of airspace as the 4 24's so box size shouldn't be a huge difference. Xmax is a lot more for the 24, but when approaching these numbers in multiples, this becomes less of an issue. More subs also provide additional flexibility in improving FR.

Completely understand your thinking and logic...........wink.gif

I'm looking to keep cab numbers down to four. I thought about SI-18's in multiples..........but if I was, patient, which is a problem with me, I'm better of waiting for the UM's as I haven't canceled my order of four with PE.

I like the idea of LMS-U due to box volume requirement, but not the power requirement nor price/driver! I'm even looking into the Pro 5100 and spent this morning reading the Ultra vs. Pro thread since I'm snowed in......

In regards to SI-24.........big enclosure which is a huge negative, especially when driver will partially fire into screen! Besides, will have to modify cab to meet 10cf requirement and won't be placed at 1/4 wall space......lots of options and am open to all! Heck, even UXL-18 is possible!biggrin.gif

BTW, for being sick you did a great job with your math..................but you missed one small fact. When Xmax is figured in, it takes a little more than 3 SI-18's to equal one SI-24. That darn stroke........biggrin.gif
post #480 of 1811 Old 02-07-2014, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is the going rate for a Thigpen? $20,000+ ?eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Well yes, but that is the installed price. cool.gif

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page