The Coffin Build - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1840 Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 325

Well it looks like I'll be canceling my Bluejeans Cable order early tomorrow!  :rolleyes:

Seems lately I order something and cancel within 48 hours.................

Well, going 4 conductor in-wall 12 AWG wire which has been verified I'll be ok...........just worried about all that heat due to watts/amps passing through speaker cable.......and of course, worries about loosing conductivity and some db's due to cable run length.

Will use Speakon connects except the front two UXL cabs.  Because I have at most 22 inches depth in front screen wall area, needed speaker terminals that are recessed.  Rear subs will be all Speakon.  Enclosed is parts list I just ordered from Parts-Express.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1840 Old 03-11-2014, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://www.bcae1.com/wire.htm

Information used to figure on Belden 4 conductor 12 AWG  in-wall speaker wire for both front and rear subs.  Wire choice is on cusp of being too light as according to resource, 9 AWG would be minimum.  10 and 12 AWG spec-ed similar..................

Will be using max numbers from Peavey ipr2 7500 which is 2025 rms at 4 ohms before clipping amp. UXL will take 2000 watts in 4 ohm...............voice coil is not issue, but mechanical is limiting factor.

1900 watts rms is max for 55 ft run of 10/12 AWG wire which shows 0.37 db loss with power delivered at speaker being 1744 watt.......ie. loss of 156 watts due to wire run.  The next diagram will show at 2025 watts, larger wire is required.  As you may note, using 12 AWG is barely workable.........but suspect all four subs will typically run at much lower wattage due to multiples.

As noted, at 2025 watts 12 AWG doesn't meet 300 circular mils spec so larger diameter wire is required.

post #543 of 1840 Old 03-12-2014, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The agony of departing with my cash..................

Was dragging my feet on upgrading my projector to 1100ES ie. motherboard switcharoo.  Seems silly purchasing a projector that is only 10-11 months old and having to invest more cash to bring it up to date. The added features of the Sony server aka. hockey puck and tablet IMHO are useless as teats on a boar!!!!! Will try to have my Son sell tablet and Sony server via ebay as he's the expert not me!  The additional bulb is a bonus though!  ;)

Just got off the phone with Mike @ AVS and have paid for upgrade and will have kit and service done to projector in the next couple weeks. It's been noted by Mike he's trying to get all upgrades scheduled before March 28th, which precludes major layoffs by Sony!  :eek:

I will try to photo document the upgrade process that is supposed to take 2-3 hours.  Well, I'm relieved with this decision which has been made.  I have a HUGE financial liability with upcoming  Trinnov unit..........

post #544 of 1840 Old 03-13-2014, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 227
I thought the hockey puck was digitally linked to the projector, and wouldn't stream to any other device. If so, it'd be useless to any purchaser.
post #545 of 1840 Old 03-13-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

I thought the hockey puck was digitally linked to the projector, and wouldn't stream to any other device. If so, it'd be useless to any purchaser.

The server will work with any Sony 4K projector (1000ES would have to have update) and it works with the Sony 4K TV's. Some of the earlier Sony 4K TV's require an update also. The server is only valuable to those that want to currently rent or buy 4K movies now.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #546 of 1840 Old 03-13-2014, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow...............fast turn-a-round!  Received confirmation my upgrade packet has shipped from AVS.  That was quick considering I called in payment last night!  Now waiting on when Sony tech will install upgrade.

Just to let people know.....................most of my theater has been equipped through AVS with Mike taking the reins. Have been impressed with information, customer service, and attention to detail. If you are considering AV equipment, give AVS a call first.............and ask for Mike!  ;)

Now if only Mike had a cattle prod to get my sub-woofer driver manufacturer going and deliver the goods! :D

post #547 of 1840 Old 03-14-2014, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Peavey ipr2 7500 6 ft power cords delivered today. Quality construction and quick shipped. Would have been nice if manufacturer would have supplied cords but contacting Peavey and talking to techs In my case was futile. Oh well, power cords in hand and now can start in tearing out rack and start over.

I'm running out of rack space pretty quick.......have 3 ru's left for my baby....

post #548 of 1840 Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just got confirmation via e-mail, the first of my four UXL's may start shipping out the middle to end of next week.  A little too late for my Daughter;s visit who we see very little due to her working in Berlin, Germany.  On a good note, she will come back home in July for another two weeks and should have theater all done up my then.

My to do list to be completed by this coming July............once all is done, I can officially close this laborious thread once and for all!  :D

1) Subs will be done and implemented

2) EQ system for theater should be up and running..........yippee, no more XT32!

3) Coffer ceilings in Knotty Alder should be complete...........

post #549 of 1840 Old 03-17-2014, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Received my Parts-Express package today...............

I was really interested in seeing the spring loaded connectors on the two front screen wall cabinet plates I'm using due to limited space and needing a recess speaker plate.

The spring loaded connects are robust which is a relief.................the plate has a solid gasket glued to plate, so looks like I wont have to worry about sub leaks.

In additon, the Belden 4 conductor 12 AWG in-wall wire I received is really robust!  Better quality than 12 AWG in-wall wire I used from Monoprice for speakers.  I'll take a photo when I get the chance.........................looks to be quality wire all the way.

post #550 of 1840 Old 03-18-2014, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Very impressed with Belden 5002 4 conductor 12 AWG in-wall wire. Jacket is much more stout, especially the actual wire itself. With naked eye, the wire looks thicker than Monoprice comparable 12 AWG......don't have fuller gauge so check impression.......just direct comparison. Also appreciate the black sheathing which won't reflect light like Monoprice variation. IMHO, Belden wire is worth the extra few bucks.......

post #551 of 1840 Old 03-19-2014, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I've sat down and put numbers together for this new sub-woofer build and have had several people pm me asking about cost, driver implementation, and whether seal or ported is a better way to go.

As far as what application, that is for each individual to decide for themselves. For me, I am looking to take the load off all drivers though multiples..............this does two things, less watts are needed for each driver to obtain a specific SPL and also improves seat to seat implementation for frequency response. I will receive the first of my four drivers next Tuesday.........hopefully, all turns out well.  For those that seek the DIY alternative to save money.......................well, I'll reserve my thoughts when all is said and done.  :)

Sub-woofer expenses up to this point:

Four UXL-18 drivers:                                   $1640

Two Peavey ipr2 7500's                               $1350

Four Diysoundgroup Flat Packs                   $668

MiniDSP Open                                              $310

Speaker wire, connects Parts-Express           $208

Power cords for Peavey  Customavrack         $45

Paint, primer, brushes, roller, glue                  $120

XLR Cable Splitters Blue Jeans Cable           $74

Clamps                                                           $45

1-1/2 screws and inserts Home Depot            $32

Sub feet                                                          $35

Neoprene 3/4 wide gasket                              $16

Two rack shelves                                            $64

Used Leftover Linacoustic RC                        Free

Total for now:                                                  $4607

That's about $1151.75 per sub which is comparable to some ID sub-woofers.  I'm hoping performance will be way above and beyond any ID sub manufacturer.

We shall see if this change was worth all the effort.............

post #552 of 1840 Old 03-21-2014, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Crap............I did it again!!!!  :eek::mad:

Sitting on couch enjoying a cup of coffee and researching eq......................my wife wakes up from her beauty sleep and reminds me today is our 28th Anniversary!  :eek:

I'm in the "Dog House" for another year..................

post #553 of 1840 Old 03-21-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Did that on our 5th anniversary. Haven't made that mistake in 27 years . . .
post #554 of 1840 Old 03-21-2014, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Did that on our 5th anniversary. Haven't made that mistake in 27 years . . .

Lucky you!  I've done it 4-5 times and keep on doing it!  :eek:

I'm happy my beautiful wife is fore-giving.............or else I'd be in trouble. 

post #555 of 1840 Old 03-21-2014, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Has anyone ever seen a UPS train?

The reason why I ask............my projector upgrade kit has been in Illinois for the last five days. The kit was suppose to arrive yesterday but tracking showed delay due to late vehicle.

Emailed Mike at AVS this morning and he received info from UPS stating a train breaking down and the powers to be are trying to get it fixed. No timeline for delivery!! eek.gif

March 28th is supposed massive corporate bleeding from Sony as they are to layoff all Sony techs AVS has been working with. With the recent sub driver delays.........now I have to contend with missing upgrade deadline! eek.gif
post #556 of 1840 Old 03-22-2014, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Crap............I did it again!!!!  eek.gifmad.gif

Sitting on couch enjoying a cup of coffee and researching eq......................my wife wakes up from her beauty sleep and reminds me today is our 28th Anniversary!  eek.gif

I'm in the "Dog House" for another year..................

A long story as to why it ended up on the date it did, but my anniversary is 8 days prior to Valentine's day so I always get distant early warning in the marketing that occurs. I consider myself very, very lucky. No mistakes (thus far) in 21 years.
post #557 of 1840 Old 03-23-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgbug View Post

A long story as to why it ended up on the date it did, but my anniversary is 8 days prior to Valentine's day so I always get distant early warning in the marketing that occurs. I consider myself very, very lucky. No mistakes (thus far) in 21 years.

Spring Break should be a warning to me.....................but that time of year seems I'm always in the middle of a major project!  My wife is very practical..............grew up on a cattle ranch.  To her special romantic days like  Valentine's Day  wastes money and is too commercial...................she rather have me get her something useful..................sometimes useful tends to be much more expensive than flowers and candy. :eek:

She does have a sense of humor ...............with another year of forgetting our Anniversary she made out like a bandit this year!!!   So.................she wasn't happy with her five foot cutting table.................so we end up going to local sewing center and getting her a larger, movable seven footer!  Love is bliss...........................28 years of it!  :)

BTW, on the way home with her cutting table..............................she made the statement..............."What are you getting me next year when you forget our Anniversary". 

No comment............................:o

post #558 of 1840 Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Men of AVS........learn from my mistakes! Forgetting your wedding anniversary can be very expensive!

I still can't believe what is charged for a simple cutting table. The same can be said about our AV equipment! eek.gif

post #559 of 1840 Old 03-23-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 270
If it makes the wife happy, it's worth every dime! Missed anniversary or not.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #560 of 1840 Old 03-23-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

If it makes the wife happy, it's worth every dime! Missed anniversary or not.

And she is! She married me! wink.gif

BTW, I'm in Roger Dressler country! Sitting down and having a meal in Sisters...........Sisters and Jackson Hole are two of my favorite places!

post #561 of 1840 Old 03-23-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now THIS is what a coffee house should look like...........Sisters Coffee Company!

post #562 of 1840 Old 03-24-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Confirmation today.......Sony motherboard upgrade is set for April 11th. Guess subcontractor for Sony is extremely busy.
post #563 of 1840 Old 03-25-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well................I'm starting to count now.............

One................

post #564 of 1840 Old 03-25-2014, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well......................

With out a doubt, the UXL driver is much more attractive and more robust than the drivers on the S2 I recently sold.  I'll have more pictures to upload later...................

The UXL is quite hefty with a HUGE motor..................I'm guessimating weight at approximately 65 lbs.............BTW, the carbon fiber cone looks GREAT!

post #565 of 1840 Old 03-25-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Sexzy!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #566 of 1840 Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Sexzy!

It is indeed!

Worked to get more SI-18 flat packs made/cut by Diysoundgroup and Erich decided to cut 38 more for a group buy. The driver fits absolutely perfect and no need to take off rubber gasket that surrounds rim of driver.

Four of these sealed should give me the down low extension I want and need. I've modeled four and 130 db's above 50 hz is doable........but why would you want to?

I'm happy to get 110+ db's at 5 hz........as Ricky Bobbie would say, "Shake......and bake!" smile.gif
post #567 of 1840 Old 03-26-2014, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #568 of 1840 Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Four of these sealed should give me the down low extension I want and need. I've modeled four and 130 db's above 50 hz is doable........but why would you want to?

I'm happy to get 110+ db's at 5 hz........as Ricky Bobbie would say, "Shake......and bake!" smile.gif

Should be pretty awesome!

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
post #569 of 1840 Old 03-26-2014, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post

Should be pretty awesome!

Hopefully, you're right! Its been a Herculean effort to change out subs.........I sure don't want to be disappointed.

BTW, I promise to get those sweeps to you........my daughter is on a visit and don't see her much anymore.......and of course I'm battling my own demons to finish up this room once and for all! Hopefully, by this Summer......
post #570 of 1840 Old 03-26-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

TMcG........................

This one's for you..................a perfect fit with rubber gasket!  ;)

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page