Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1289 Old 04-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

i should have known smile.gif seems like everything that is sound related points back to those guys...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1289 Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You can go to the Zero International website ( http://www.zerointernational.com/ ), but they make a million varieties, and it is seriously confusing.
post #33 of 1289 Old 04-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I love the sound proofing website. Great resource. Explain their stuff very well.
post #34 of 1289 Old 04-18-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Really moving along doublewing! That is one awesome looking door!

Thanks for the reply................."The Coffin Build" I starting to think was DOA, no pun intended. I've been way busy and have been terrible about taking pictures so I had my wife take a few. Plan to take more pictures as the build progresses......
post #35 of 1289 Old 04-18-2013, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Dwing,

Did you ever decide on your speaker choice yet? I thought you were after some Triad Plats last, but not sure.

Funny that you asked.......

I first planned on using Triad Gold Monitors but finally realized that those fine speakers will not be able to handle the room size......you can imagine I was bummed. When I submitted my plans, I made it clear I wanted Triad Plats but Gold LCR were spec-ed. Upon further communication with other members, I have no idea what I'm going to do. My first inclination is to stick with Gold LCR and follow the plan to the T............but I'm not so sure.

Plats are still in the equation, Gold LCR are the most likely candidates................but RMK has me really thinking about the JTR Noesis 212's. Cat 12's are another option but I'd prefer to have non-active speakers.............

I just purchased my projector from Mike at AVS and feel confident I received solid information and recommendations....................the Sony VPL-VW 1000 is going into the theater. I've auditioned many RUNCO 3 chippers, SIM Lumis................and feel very happy with my decision. IMHO, the Sony comes real close to displaying the same quality as the Lumis for 1/2 the price.
post #36 of 1289 Old 04-20-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sheetrock was completed Thursday (pictures coming), including side soffits which are being used for can lights and HVAC mufflers. The side soffits were build after the initial shell of 5/8'' OSB+GG+ 5/8" drywall using once again, OSB+GG+5/8'' drywall.

To give an example of my satisfaction with our soundproofing efforts, when we were stuffing the two 8" returns and two 7" supply ducting through the room's shell, I was screaming at the top of my lungs and for the life of me, I could not hear or understand what was being yelled at me from the rafters. Sounds like a soundproofing success so far.
JRock3x8 likes this.
post #37 of 1289 Old 04-21-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sheetrock was done Thursday............boy, the dry wall crew was fast, accurate.......

Green glue all over my legs............green glue all over my pants.............green glue everywhere!

The two young men doing the drywall were clean as a whistle!! Luck them!

The theater room is a first floor construction and the back of the theater room is adjacent to a three car garage. The garage wall which shares the same wall with the theater received an additional layer of 5/8" OSB+ GG+ 5/8" drywall due to air exchanger being located near by. That's a grand total of 4 different layers with green glue with a middle layer of r-24 insulation. Once in the theater room, a screaming maniac in the garage can't be heard! Soundproofing is a success!!
post #38 of 1289 Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carpet Change............new product going into the theater.

April 15th was the first day for production of this carpet............ Global Exploration is the line, color is "Bourbonnas Grey"
post #39 of 1289 Old 04-24-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

8 hour drive to audition JTR Noesis 212's.....................thanks to RMK for opening his theater to me this weekend.

Next week should have decisions on what speakers go into the room.......

short list:

Triad Plats for LCR
Triad Golds LCR
JTR Noesis 212HT's

6 Triad Silvers LCR

Subs, either 2-3 SubMersives or 2-S2's...........still up in the air
post #40 of 1289 Old 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 254
This is my first look at your project Cory and I am impressed (although more photo's are needed wink.gif. It appears this is your bucket list room and IMHO you are doing it right but still remaining reasonable about component costs.

My room is much more humble (by design) as I sort of backed into it by creating a dedicated space that could easily and inexpensively re-purposed if I sell the home. I see myself moving at some point in the next few years and your approach the project is very close to how I would do it with a new home build. I look forward to talking with you about this if you come for a visit/demo this weekend.

In any case, nice job on the design and build but please get some more photos posted ... smile.gifcool.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #41 of 1289 Old 04-28-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

In any case, nice job on the design and build but please get some more photos posted ... smile.gifcool.gif

Roger THAT! smile.gif

Yes, more photos are in the making as the guts of the theater room are getting done............on to the fun stuff........the fancy stuff ie. serenity mat glue down, carpet, painting, furring out for fabric track, fabric, Knotty Alder Colums, Knotty Alder trim, stage, riser.....the list goes on and on!!! I'll do a better job of documenting the rest of the the build. Actually, I did initiate a photobucket account, but am too busy it seems to learn how to use it.

On another note............

Thanks Rob for opening your home to me..............you were most helpful and your room is FAR from humble! Excellent sound and you have done an exceptional job putting your room together.

With that loooooonnnnngggg 10 hour drive my wife and I discussed many options concerning the theater............

I believe I'm going with the Noesis 212's and am trying to find a way to implement two Orbital Shifters upfront. Problem are of course size.....but also wiring as I've only placed only one dedicated 20 amp circuit up front for subs. I really thought I future proofed the theater by placing 3 wire 20 amp circuits at each mid-line on each wall for a total of 4 dedicated circuits. Never crossed my mind that I might need two 20 amp circuits up front............snafu? On a good note, at least I was wise to have 3 wire installed so now I can run 240 volt circuits!!!! biggrin.gif
post #42 of 1289 Old 05-03-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

6 Triad Silver LCR are being used for surround duties and am trying to figure out to alter design and fit 2 Orbital Shifters for the front stage..............

I've been on the road for more than two years looking for speaker nirvana.....................the Orbital Shifter is the cleanest, most musical sub with HUGE output I've ever heard. The TC Sound LMS dual 5400 Ultra used to be my standard............well, there is a new "Sheriff" in town. If you get a chance, have an audition to a pair of OS....................................... by far the best LF I've ever heard.......................
post #43 of 1289 Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another milestone..................

Paint in the theater is done! The walls are primed gray in 1/2 black using Kilzs...............the only paint that will be seen is the soffits and ceiling. The photo shows the first layer of Ralph Lauren Suede paint in color "Deigo on the ceiling and soffit. The color from the paint chip was a gray-green, but after the first roll on layer.........and with the light it tends toward gray brown. Love the color as I'm not too fond of black! FYI, I have 6 500 watt Halogen lights shining on the front wall................the Ralph Lauren is a true light absorber!!!

The second coat of suede paint involves hand painting X's which is labor intensive but well worth the effort. The wall will be covered in fabric which was mentioned earlier in this thread. Last week ordered fabric channels and GOM Style Meander in Boulder from Fabricmate. Boulder is a gray green which complements the carpet and Diego paint.
post #44 of 1289 Old 05-05-2013, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Screen is ordered............

140 inch Seymour/Screen Excellence 140" wide Enlightor 4k in 2.37 ratio...............

AVS has been great.................and Mike Garret has been most helpful and patient with all my calls and questions. Looking forward to the Sony and 4k pairing.

This afternoon, will be working on laying down 3/8" Serenity mat.........not looking forward to glue down. Pictures later........................
post #45 of 1289 Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Progress moves along.............

Woke up at 5:00 AM and began the busy day with this view...........not too shabby!

This week after work.....................began to set down the "Serenity Mat" for floor damping. Due to issues with not wanting any elevation transition, I decided to forgo the two layers of 3/4 plywood on the "Serenity Mat" upon entry into the dedicated room. The riser and front stage will receive the double layer of 3/4 plywood placed on the "Serenity Mat".........then framing..............and then decking with green glue and three, yes three layers of 3/4 AC plywood!

Framing for the riser is semi-done............the electrician needs to come in a rough in 20 amp circuit for theater seat receptacles.............15 amp circuit for step lights, and two twenty amp circuits for subs.
There is no putty pads in this build...........all electrical boxes are either wired in the front stage, riser, or columns......................acoustic caulk has been used liberally to seal all holes that have intruded the soundproofing shell.

16 Tubes of acoustically caulk have been used.................both layers have been sealed.......even "Serenity Mat" was placed down and then sealed on edges with acoustic caulk.

While on the subject of "Serenity Mat", I had a hard time sourcing adhesive for the mat..................three days later..............and after 10 or so calls............I finally found a source for adhesive to lay down the mat. Next time.............if there is a next time........I'd purchase my adhesive from the Soundproofing Company specifically formulated for their mat. Thanks to Ted White for his helpful emails................
"
post #46 of 1289 Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have suggestions on mounting the projector? I have 5/8" OSB then 5/8 sheetrock................I'd prefer placing a Knotty Alder block underneath to use with mount, and then back with 2X8 fir in the attic space............the ceiling is decoupled with clips and channels.

A friend of my who has 30+ years in the construction business thinks I should attach to ceiling truss and have rod penetrate the shell...............he thinks it would be a stronger set up and more esthetically pleasing with just a rod coming out of the ceiling than having a projector mount. I'm ok with that as long as RC-4 clips are used to attach to the truss...........I don't want to ruin my soundproofing efforts.

Any suggestions? Better ideas?
post #47 of 1289 Old 05-19-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well..............my friend wins out.............attaching the projector mount to the trusses and drilling a hole for the pole to pass through.........will use acoustic caulk around pole penetration through shell and touch up with paint.

Have to double and triple check throw ratio and pole length..................

Decision was made once again on the good advise of fellow AVS'ers...............
post #48 of 1289 Old 05-19-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I think this is he first time I've heard of this in a decoupled room where OSB was used for the first layer. The plywood should be more than sufficient to hold the PJ.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #49 of 1289 Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Riser is done.............16' 10" wide and 9' 8" deep. The rear surrounds have enough room to breath as there is 4' to ear of rear row. 2X12's were used with 2X8 joist, along with two layers or R-13 for insulation.

With riser complete, now I can store the various of parts of the construction.............like the two rolls of 4X100 linacoustic RC, fabric, fabric channels.............

Quest Acoustic products which cost an arm and a leg...................was stored in front of the third bay garage for 6 weeks until I finally was able to get the help to move them into the garage. Getting the concrete pour was another factor..........no damage due to Pacific Northwest weather.

Front stage assembly.....................the design called for 12" stage but due to the room being built on TGI 16" on center............ie. first floor crawl space.......I decided to use 2X8's instead to eliminate some load on the joist. Only 33 50lb pounds of sand to this riser. Amazing how the sand can solidify the floor. I used a "Minnie Me" version of what most others have used. Front stage only comes out 54" inches with wings that are 14" inches wide. There will be only an 8" transition to the low step due to wanting more space entering the room. Amazing how a 25' long room can get so small quickly.
post #50 of 1289 Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As spec-ed...............double layer of Linacoustic RC sandwiched between 3 mil poly. The upper stage has a layer of "Serenity Mat" which hasn't been glued down.

Quest treatments are hung and placed exactly as spec-ed. Don't know why there is 11'' between Quest Excel panel and Q Sorber. I had a 4 X 8 panel of Q Sorber left over and thought I had made a mistake..............but all was done to spec.
post #51 of 1289 Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Throw some speakers in there, I want to know how it sounds smile.gif

That's some serious progress. I can imagine that having those treatments up will really get you motivated!

post #52 of 1289 Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Throw some speakers in there, I want to know how it sounds smile.gif

That's some serious progress. I can imagine that having those treatments up will really get you motivated!

I could take a gratuitous picture of my Triad Golds and Silvers in the garage waiting to be placed in the room...............

Progress is moving fast.................amazing what you can do working 24/7
post #53 of 1289 Old 06-04-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Progress is moving fast.................amazing what you can do working 24/7

FINALLY! Someone else that understands what working full time means! All these 40 hour-part time folks.... bah! biggrin.gif

post #54 of 1289 Old 06-08-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

One week to go..........yikes!

Door is set but not Zero seals yet............

Fabric channels are almost finish and tomorrow fabric gets installed.........

My columns have been an issue as the cabinet maker gave me an eta of 4-5 weeks so I went an alternate route. Well, my backup plan didn't work either as the fellow cut his hand down the middle and is currently in hospital................out for 2-3 weeks! This all happened in the last week. Found a third alternative and have eta of Tuesday for 7 Knotty Alder columns.

Well, might as well show the gratuitous garage photo of newly purchased speakers........................3 Triad Gold LCR and 6 Silver LCR's for surround.

I would have loved to use Triad Plats in my build........and I almost went that way but decided it was best to follow the spec-ed plans.............

Also enclosed the real reason Plats are not on the menu...............................gotta keep the wife happy!

skipford likes this.
post #55 of 1289 Old 06-08-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Good call on keeping your wife happy. My Triad Plats look eerily like a large sectional soon to be placed in our living room. Oh well.

I love the knotty alder. Looking forward to seeing how the woodwork all comes together.

Where did you source your door? How about your hinges? Over 2'' thick is quite impressive.
post #56 of 1289 Old 06-08-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Good call on keeping your wife happy. My Triad Plats look eerily like a large sectional soon to be placed in our living room. Oh well.

I love the knotty alder. Looking forward to seeing how the woodwork all comes together.

Where did you source your door? How about your hinges? Over 2'' thick is quite impressive.

Living in the Pacific Northwest has it's perks......wink.gif

The door was custom made locally but the guy bored the door handle not knowing about the Zero seals............big snafu! The new door is now in theater (not bored) and is waiting for 5 inch off set latch. The old door is being used for the entry of the equipment room so ........no harm, no foul.

The hinges are made with bearings with which were custom fabricated............. the door jam is almost 12" thick!
post #57 of 1289 Old 06-16-2013, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fine details like using Knotty Alder 6/4 routed with 1/2" slots............vent is 24" X 12" and is dead silent due to being lined with linacoustic RC.

Off the side you can see the AXS rotating rack near the entrance...........no equipment installed yet in the rack.......... that will be done this week!

Small view of entrance to the theater. The whole theater is using Knotty Alder, but the real show stopper is the hardwood floors in the lobby. Australian Cypress has been used throughout including Great room, kitchen, dining, theater entrance/lobby and 1/2 bath. Gives a rustic, elegant look which we were after.

Well...............the theater is almost done! Had a long week but all came together. Now I have to hang the Sony 1000 and hook up various other parts of the theater. Good times.............

The home show was a hit! Several return visits and inquiring minds on how the room came together.

With a lot of hard work and extra planning...........one can complete their soundproofed, acoustically treated room in less than 4 months! It takes long hours.............but having a fine partner in manufacturing is a must! I had a great man helping me.............putting long hours by my side!

Was it worth it? Emphatically YES!
post #58 of 1289 Old 06-17-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Congratulations doublewing - this looks really amazing!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #59 of 1289 Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
nice job you turned what is normally a marathon into sprint for sure... looks amazing
post #60 of 1289 Old 06-17-2013, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

nice job you turned what is normally a marathon into sprint for sure... looks amazing

Thanks........

For the last four months once the house was framed I've averaged five hours sleep working on the room during the week and weekends. Five in the morning until 11PM at night.

I've built three houses in my lifetime.....this time I only build one room. I couldn't have done this by myself.......my old next door neighbor and I put in long hours and am luck to have him in my life.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page