Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 1802 Old 04-17-2014, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 308
And then there were three.......

Waiting on fourth, which should arrive any minute. Hopefully, this weekend I'll begin measuring......

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 1802 Old 04-17-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, it took a little under two months to receive all four drivers. The fourth will sit until spray adhesive has a chance to air out and dry on fourth cab. Used spray adhesive to attach Linacoustic RC to walls of four sub cabs for dampening. Will seat fourth and final driver tomorrow.

Will begin tearing out rack tomorrow as I have two HDMI cables, two shielded cat 6 cables, and one un-shielded cat 6 cable for projector automation to run through 2-1/2 inch PVC pipe to ceiling mount.

Will also send two runs through both front and back snurf tubes containing 4 conductor 12 AWG in-wall wire for future needs ie. if I add another four UXL's. Busy weekend.....

My Build Threads

post #633 of 1802 Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And now there are four! Had to pull one driver out due to muscling one bolt in.......big mistake! Had to pull driver off and epoxy hammer nut that popped out..........all is well now.

Tore out Knotty Alder mount that hides power-bridge and PVC pipe. Will sand and refinish projector mount in same stain as columns. Reason is, this Summer I'll finally have time to build coffer ceiling. Ceiling was framed with clips and channels at 16 inch on center to handle extra load of coffers. Have metal stud finder and framing plans, pictures to help in endeavor. Wire has been laying in attic crawl space waiting to be hooked up to sixth and final zone in Graffic Eye. Trying to figure out what to do with lighting in coffers. Original plan was to use treatments and fabric used on walls......but I'm not so sure. Really like what Spaceman did with his room and 7channel's room too.......mulling over direction to take.......

My Build Threads

post #634 of 1802 Old 04-19-2014, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Success today.......biggest fear has been pulling 50 ft of 4 conductor 12 AWG wire through snurf tubing. Well, worry was unfounded......piece of cake! Lube was most helpful....along with my brother-in-law who helped me pull wire since wife has been a little under the weather. How convenient..........biggrin.gif

Just a few photos......more to come. BTW, rack units are getting scarce.........just room enough for one more item! wink.gif

My Build Threads

post #635 of 1802 Old 04-19-2014, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just a better picture of Speakon wall plate. Both Speakon wall plates are on same column but on opposite sides.

My Build Threads

post #636 of 1802 Old 04-20-2014, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

"Happy Easter" to everyone...................

The most important day to remember.................;)

My Build Threads

post #637 of 1802 Old 04-20-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
He is risen indeed! Happy Easter to you as well!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #638 of 1802 Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Happy Easter!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #639 of 1802 Old 04-20-2014, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Happy Easter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

He is risen indeed! Happy Easter to you as well!

Regards,

RTROSE

Same to you guys! 

We are soooooo blessed!  ;)

My Build Threads

post #640 of 1802 Old 04-20-2014, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pulled a few more wires for projector upgrade. Added a cat 6 for room automation, another 50ft Redmere HDMI cable for 4K server..........am waiting for two 50ft shielded cat 6 cables to add. The two cat 6 shielded cables are for HDMI braluns if Redmere cables have issues. Call it insurance if you will.........

Planned on tearing apart rack but was able to work in cavity for pulling wires and cables. Love the AXS-R rack but I should have purchased the 41 inch temporary rack rails rather than 31 inch.

My Build Threads

post #641 of 1802 Old 04-21-2014, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Projector is finally hung and working......

To be honest.......no real difference in picture quality.......picture as good as ever! cool.gif

Fired up Peavey ipr2 7500 and ran Audyssey XT32 without MiniDSP Open......waiting until I have wire from Parts Express which arrives Friday. Will wire up the other two and work in MiniDSP open and for calibration and then re-run XT32.

My S2 was always calibrated -6dbs by XT32.........this time around UXL's are calibrated -12db's by XT32.............very interesting. With my ever so short listening session, the UXL's have the same low end grunt, but have much more output at > 60 hz. Having the ability to place subs at 1/4 space upfront makes a HUGE difference. Can't wait to hook up other two in rear and pickup an extra 6db's.

My Build Threads

post #642 of 1802 Old 04-22-2014, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Subs are in place and rear pair are waiting on wire to finish off. Last night, watched "Desolation of Smaug" in entirety and can say for certain made the right move going the direction I took concerning ULF. Bass was clean, had low end grunt, and had much more output on upper mid-bass. I believe UXL drivers are much better that Fi drivers used in S2.......but I believe the main reason for improvement in ULF is due to added Xmax, splitting driver at 1/4 wall space, and giving driver watts they need and deserve. Last night I gave the UXL's all I could handle.........the Peavey ipr2 wasn't even breaking a sweat! Not once.........and I say NOT once did the clipping lights light up and I was pushing 121db's on my meter during peaks or move. Adding two more UXL's in back 1/4 wall space will most definitely smooth out frquency response, but I'm prepared to turn down the dial! eek.gif

I'm extremely happy with running two UXL's as I'm very finicky concerning ULF. No boomy sound......just smooth bass like I favor. Believe me, I have no problem with identifying issues with sound coming from UXL's........IMHO, the pair sounded a lot like the dual LMS-U's I heard......they are that clean and no THD issues. Can't wait to implement four............Friday seems an eternity away......

I will run the four on the single Peavey ipr2 7500 for the next two weeks and see if I can get away with one amp for subs........any stress in amp or if clip light engage what-so-ever, I will immediately purchase another 7500.

Rear subs are not hooked up due to waiting on appropriate wire. Will first try firing driver away from rear seating for smoothest response but will see how that pans out with measurements.

My Build Threads

post #643 of 1802 Old 04-22-2014, 05:33 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
I wish I could have joined you for that movie and experienced it myself!!! Since I am essentially copying the LFE part of your system I am really encouraged by your positive feedback with just two woofers and can't wait to hear your feedback on four woofers with the single Peavy amp.

Anxiously waiting....
post #644 of 1802 Old 04-22-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I wish I could have joined you for that movie and experienced it myself!!! Since I am essentially copying the LFE part of your system I am really encouraged by your positive feedback with just two woofers and can't wait to hear your feedback on four woofers with the single Peavy amp.

Anxiously waiting....

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised...............no hyperbole from me.  ;)

Your presence would have been appreciated..............my wife didn't watch movie with me.............she was more interested in "The Voice'. :rolleyes:

What shocked me, I tried getting clip lights to flicker, but I cried Uncle and just couldn't get there...........the volume on a few scenes were downright scary and still no Christmas tree affair.   I did want to take it easy at first, but found myself working gain knob to ear bleeding levels with only two UXL's.  I absolutely made sure all subs were sealed up like a drum due to hearing horror stories of funky sounds emanating from drivers from faulty seals......................no such sounds coming from subs........phew!

For now, two UXL's are an improvement compared to a single JTR S2.........................now whether that is from subs themselves or due to flexibility of having placement options from a pair of single cabs I don't know.  I do know for a fact, the UXL's most definitely perform much better higher up the frequency chain..............that was clearly evident.  My S2 at times could be on the boomy side at high SPL levels............. once again, could be due to dual drivers in the middle of room...............didn't hear stress whatsoever from  UXL's at same SPL levels.  Both drivers were as clean as a whistle which to me was encouraging.  I was a little apprehensive not purchasing quad LMS-Ultra's.....................but many whom I spoke to behind closed doors felt both drivers are indistinguishable up to 2200 watts which subsequently LMS-U takes over due to power handling.

We shall see how implementation of the MiniDSP Open with all four drivers working pans out........................I'm preparing myself for a battle of wave cancellation issues so delays will be fun to tweak.....................

So far so good............will keep you posted.

My Build Threads

post #645 of 1802 Old 04-23-2014, 05:08 AM

Thanks.

And by the way....say goodbye to the 4K "hockey puck"....new 4K media player just announced.... http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-FMPX10
post #646 of 1802 Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks.

And by the way....say goodbye to the 4K "hockey puck"....new 4K media player just announced.... http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-FMPX10

Yeah, I heard about that this last weekend. Seems that's how the wind blows with this projector..........ie. in seven months after purchase, change motherboard....and before I can install puck it's obsolete! Seems fitting.....

I was going to pass on installing the puck, but have just enough room in rack for it. I'm not a fan of streaming audio or video......especially when lossless audio is not part of streaming! I'll have much more invested in audio side yet all I can get is Dolby Digital? What the heck?

Did the 4K upgrade for 2.0 and for 4K Blueray which I'm hearing won't be out until 2016!eek.gifrolleyes.gifmad.gif

My Build Threads

post #647 of 1802 Old 04-23-2014, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh boy................................here comes a learning curve!  Playing around with the MiniDSP Open this evening and going through all the parameters available.  Working out a plan when all four subs are working......trying to get a head start on preparing for integrating all four subs.  Most definitely will be a trial and error process, but am tech savvy enough I'll figure it out quite quickly........................bold words I know.........:eek:

Just a few screen shots I'm playing around with........................

;)

Will play with subs using software this weekend and attempt to be a quick study and help those who are thinking of using Minidsp as sub eq. Integrating REW with MiniDSP could be interesting.......................I

BTW, I do have a full crop of hair which is a bonus as my age....................but by Sunday, I hope I don't look like Telly Savalas once I've had a few days working with this software......ie. pull all my hair out!  ;)

My Build Threads

post #648 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Last night unpacked the 4K server ie. "hockey puck" and placed in only available space......the last two ru's on top. Waiting for zero space shelf and two ru solid faceplate from MA via AVS. Once again, Mike from AVS provides great service and great prices. Might as well send my timber revenue checks straight to Mike........well, it seems that way! smile.gif

The puck will be behind the faceplate out of sight........wasn't going to install but might as well since it's paid for. Router is also behind faceplate, out of sight. Most likely will need a new high speed router and I would appreciate suggestions..........cost is not an issue. Since router is in closet and behind anodized metal, signal strength and speed are major factors in purchasing.

I'm running out of ru's fast! Three are left available for Trinnov unit and I used a unique space for MiniDSP Open......pictures to follow of mini's home.

Sorry for random projects............a lot of projects are going on at same time.wink.gif

My Build Threads

post #649 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 AM

This is the router I have and it is consistently rated the best out there at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174 If you look hard you can find factory refurbs for $179.99 delivered, saving you $50. There are a ton of nice features to the unit, but aside from being Gigabit and wireless AC, it is also dual band, reserving one band for media streaming and leaving the other band for normal data / surfing activities. There's also a guest network so guests to your home can surf the web but won't have access to your personal LAN.

I wouldn't suggest putting the router behind the rack unless that's the only place you have to put it. There's nothing like hundreds of pounds of steel and electronics to reduce signal strength and reliability of the network signal.
post #650 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I use that same router, no issues and solid performance. Very user friendly and nice to have a guest network available for friends and family. But still have your network secure.

post #651 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is the router I have and it is consistently rated the best out there at the moment: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320174 If you look hard you can find factory refurbs for $179.99 delivered, saving you $50. There are a ton of nice features to the unit, but aside from being Gigabit and wireless AC, it is also dual band, reserving one band for media streaming and leaving the other band for normal data / surfing activities. There's also a guest network so guests to your home can surf the web but won't have access to your personal LAN.

I wouldn't suggest putting the router behind the rack unless that's the only place you have to put it. There's nothing like hundreds of pounds of steel and electronics to reduce signal strength and reliability of the network signal.

Thanks!

I'm in process of ordering your suggested model......wink.gif

The only location for router is in rack..........yes, you are correct, the signal is not strong on other side of house....so several months ago I installed a signal extender in hallway and have had only one or two hiccups. Not ideal having router in rack, but it's my only reasonable location.

My Build Threads

post #652 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hooked up Sony 4K server today.......what a pain in the butt! Those obscure computer lettering kept me from obtaining my account because I can't read abstract letters!!!!!rolleyes.gif

Well 4K video is AWESOME!!! But the audio sucks big time!! Until the audio side is taken care of, 4K is not ready for prime time! Sad lossless audio is not part of downloaded 4K material............like driving a Benz with bicycle tires!!!!mad.gif

Took a few picture from my phone........these photos don't do video justice as video is quite compelling!!! Can't wait for 4k Blueray..........aaaaa.......2016? mad.gif

My Build Threads

post #653 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 06:58 PM

I would be shooting blunt tips from my bow at that!smile.gif Looks awesome!

post #654 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post

I would be shooting blunt tips from my bow at that!smile.gif Looks awesome!

You're more of a man than me!!! wink.gif

I had to use a Weatherby .340 for mine! redface.gif

You'd be shocked at the resolution........as close to real life I've seen. Too bad about the audio.....

My Build Threads

post #655 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 07:14 PM

Nice! When it comes to hunting, I am 90% bow. But I am a huge gun nut! Great gun and great theater!

post #656 of 1802 Old 04-24-2014, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cksqurd View Post

Nice! When it comes to hunting, I am 90% bow. But I am a huge gun nut! Great gun and great theater!

Thanks for the complements...........

My brother-in-law has tried to get me to bow hunt with him for years..................but I'm too old along with having one bum knee.  Not a good combination when it comes to beating brush to find an appropriate stand. :(

My Build Threads

post #657 of 1802 Old 04-25-2014, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The tablet looks cool but function is NO where near as good as IPad equivalent.

With tablet, am able to turn server off and on with no issues........but where is the sound? The second HDMI out from puck is not compatible with Marantz 8801. So now I have to jerry rig some contraption to fix audio coming out of puck? Without lossless audio........this solution from Sony is far from being ready for "Primetime" ............be happy you're not the guinea pigs.

I will only be using puck as conversation piece for 4k video .........I'll continue to use Blueray for my source of choice.

My Build Threads

post #658 of 1802 Old 04-26-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Was hoping to wire all four subs this weekend but wire from Parts Express was delayed until Monday. Well, weekend dedicated to sub integration is shot. Wife has me painting lines for landscaper instead........

Was playing around with MiniDSP Open software.......some weakness, and strengths. Didn't have room in rack, so I found an empty niche on bottom of AXS-R rack that is reserved for bearing to help rotate rack. MiniDSP fits perfectly with out interfering with bearing........nice way to save on rack space. Only problem, I have to use temporary rack rails to service or get access to unit. No big deal as the DSP for subs it set and forget. Here are a few photos of MiniDSP location......gotta love the AXS-R for easy access to back of rack!

My Build Threads

post #659 of 1802 Old 04-26-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Pleasant surprise........my zero rack and faceplate arrived today and I ordered from AVS on Wednsday! Talk about express delivery!

I also ordered another pedestal speaker stand for Triad Gold LCR. Will pick up on Tuesday........

Used S2 as speaker stand before I sold it.......now, that I have UXL's at 1/4 space, I need the center stand!

Just finished up rack and installed MA zero shelf which will hold 4K server and router. Both will be hidden behind 2 ru faceplate and out if sight!

TMcG,

If you're reading.......I just watched the opening scene from Prometheus over and over again.....I'm crying uncle with two UXL's!

Four........aaaaaaa..........eek.gifeek.gifeek.gifcool.gif

My Build Threads

post #660 of 1802 Old 04-26-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Four should get you to the threshold of pain!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page