post #841 of 1306 Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

I have three compressors and about 8 brad nailers plus I have two cordless battery brad nailers.

Since I bought the cordless brad nailers I haven't used the air compressor ones. It's just not worth the trouble of the noise and hose. At first I thought that the cordless with battery would be heavier but actually with the strain of the cord weight pulling down or on the corded model they will fatigue your arms and shoulders easier.

Cost for a compressor can be $69-$499 depending on CFM and quality. But a cordless Ryobi at HD is like $129. Get the lightweight battery with it if you care about weight (I use the heavy big nicad). They make a finish nailer and an 18 brad nailer in bright green in the brad nailer isle - check it out.

As for compressors I have a Campbell housfeld (spelling?) that's decent, I recently bought that $180 upright from harbour freight (it's $149 sale this weekend) and I have a craftsman portable unit - the red one covered in plastic. The harbor freight is crazy annoying loud eek.gif For trim nailing I usually use the small portable craftsman , it's quietest and easiest to move around and set up. It kicks on a few more times due to the small tank but that's ok, it makes plenty of pressure to drive finish nails.

I'd get something like that plus an air gun or just jump right to cordless brad nailer. I'll never go back to cords.

Thanks and definitely food for thought. With this coffered ceiling project, I have to drive finish nails though trim, 5/8's Rock and into 5/8's OSB. Definitely a liquid nails and finish nail job. Any experience with cordless firing 15/16 gauge 2-1/2 " finish nails? Makes perfect sense.......but am so used to pneumatic nailers. Do these cordless nailers have enough force to drive 2-1/2" without jamming? Can cordless accommodate various lengths? Don't know nor do I have experience with cordless nail guns...........always been old school. biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 1306 Old 06-07-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Mine will burry below surface grade 2" nails into MDF the long way. They have adjustments for more pressure. HD has a 30 return policy too. I bought thinking I would try and could return but I ended up loving it so much.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #843 of 1306 Old 06-07-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine will burry below surface grade 2" nails into MDF the long way. They have adjustments for more pressure. HD has a 30 return policy too. I bought thinking I would try and could return but I ended up loving it so much.

Thanks,

BTW,

Western Mass huh? Whereabouts? Reason why I ask, my daughter went to school in area and worked in Boston before being transferred to Berlin, Germany. Traveled quite a bit through your area.......just nosey or curious.

Thanks once again
post #844 of 1306 Old 06-08-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Haven't had a chance to get to Home Depot or Sears to look at finish nailers........my wife had me digging 5 huge holes for her Dogwood trees......rolleyes.gif

What I did do was order six 2 X 4 ft Owens Corning 703 4" panels for front wall ceiling treatment. With my reimbursement from MiniDSP Open, I was forced to open a paypal account. Didn't want to do that, but was only option for reimbursement. Anyhow, I purchased my acoustic absorption treatmentsvia PayPal and welcomed myself to 21st Century on economic exchange! biggrin.gif

Still up in air and still researching for six 2 X 2 ft 3D diffusers for rear of ceiling........

Starting to become a total DIY guy............after hearing what is possible with my subs, why not acoustic treatments. Though I love my Quest acoustic products and what they do, I think I can treat my ceiling myself and save bundles.....
post #845 of 1306 Old 06-08-2014, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Thanks,

BTW,

Western Mass huh? Whereabouts? Reason why I ask, my daughter went to school in area and worked in Boston before being transferred to Berlin, Germany. Traveled quite a bit through your area.......just nosey or curious.

Thanks once again

I'm just south of Springfield (the only city people know here lol ) almost on the CT boarder. We are closer to Hartford CT than Boston, but then again nothing's really too far away in New England. Boston for me is probably like one of the Texas guys here driving from one side of Dallas to the other ... Lol.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #846 of 1306 Old 06-08-2014, 07:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Haven't had a chance to get to Home Depot or Sears to look at finish nailers........my wife had me digging 5 huge holes for her Dogwood trees......rolleyes.gif

What I did do was order six 2 X 4 ft Owens Corning 703 4" panels for front wall ceiling treatment. With my reimbursement from MiniDSP Open, I was forced to open a paypal account. Didn't want to do that, but was only option for reimbursement. Anyhow, I purchased my acoustic absorption treatmentsvia PayPal and welcomed myself to 21st Century on economic exchange! biggrin.gif

Still up in air and still researching for six 2 X 2 ft 3D diffusers for rear of ceiling........

Starting to become a total DIY guy............after hearing what is possible with my subs, why not acoustic treatments. Though I love my Quest acoustic products and what they do, I think I can treat my ceiling myself and save bundles.....

First, a Paypal account is a must! You'll be glad you have one once it's set up.

Second, what's the mini DSP return about? I don't think I followed that. You still looking for a solution ? I just bought a Behringer DSP1124P for $39 from Guitar center Yesterday. Great deal if it suits your need.

-

post #847 of 1306 Old 06-08-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just south of Springfield (the only city people know here lol ) almost on the CT boarder. We are closer to Hartford CT than Boston, but then again nothing's really too far away in New England. Boston for me is probably like one of the Texas guys here driving from one side of Dallas to the other ... Lol.

Been through Springfield area.......that whole region is quaint!

When I drove from New Hampshire through Mass and then into CT in an hour, both my wife and I said, "What the heck?"

It takes 7-8 hours to drive to Idaho through Oregon..........and a little less than 5 hours from Washington to California. Wonder why West Coast guys like their cars and think a three hour drive is nothing? biggrin.gif
post #848 of 1306 Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

First, a Paypal account is a must! You'll be glad you have one once it's set up.

Second, what's the mini DSP return about? I don't think I followed that. You still looking for a solution ? I just bought a Behringer DSP1124P for $39 from Guitar center Yesterday. Great deal if it suits your need.

My first MiniDSP Open was dead on arrival......which I shipped back on my dime and MiniDSP sent me another........I paid cash to send unit back so MiniDSP couldn't reimburse me cash for shipping unit back to them therefore Paypal was only alternative. Since I just opened account, decided to use balance and then some to purchase the 4" 2 X 4 OC 703 acoustic panels.

BTW, I'm just paranoid about using such things as Paypal, visa etc. I've had three incidences of identity theft, credit card fraud in last three years..........so I'm really Leary with personal info and dealing with commerce.......hence my Paypal concerns. Ask Mike at AVS............he's used to my snail mail payment methods........but it was safe! biggrin.gif
post #849 of 1306 Old 06-08-2014, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Found these diffusers online......manufacturer Auralex.

Does anyone have experience with this product used as diffusers?

The MSR 3D diffusers are $150 a pop plus shipping...and I need six. The Auralex are closer to $70 each with free shipping.

Looking at all options.........resources for 3D ceiling diffusers.

Here's pictures of Auralex product:

post #850 of 1306 Old 06-09-2014, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Acoustical Frontier's offering for rear diffusion:

Vicoustic Multifuser DC2 is a 5.5" deep, two dimensional diffuser constructed from expanded polystyrene

Our take:
A great value high performance 2D diffuser at 1/3rd the cost of the similar RPG Skyline. 2D diffusion is typically used on the front wall between the speakers and towards the rear of the room to improve clarity, spaciousness and envelopment. These products are acoustically quite benign and can be placed close to the listener, unlike deep QRDs. They can also be mounted on top of other acoustical panels and bass traps.

Specifications:
2D diffuser - scatters both vertically and horizontally
24" x 24" (2' x 2') nominal size
5.5" deep
Expanded polystyrene construction
Available in black, white or grey
Mount to walls or ceiling using velcro or construction adhesive

Supposedly similar in performance to RPG Skyline Diffuser.

Here is a photo:

If anyone has information for 2D or 3D diffusers for ceiling application would appreciate it. Still haven't decided on which diffuser yet.
post #851 of 1306 Old 06-09-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I like the look of it, and surely it's cheaper than the Skylines.

But someone call me when something like this can be mould injected for $25 retail for a 2'x2' block.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding cause she knows where I sleep."
post #852 of 1306 Old 06-09-2014, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post

I like the look of it, and surely it's cheaper than the Skylines.

But someone call me when something like this can be mould injected for $25 retail for a 2'x2' block.

I totally agree with you! If I use MSR 3D diffusers, I'm looking at north of $1000 including shipping! eek.gif
post #853 of 1306 Old 06-09-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Looks pretty cheap to make smile.gif

-

post #854 of 1306 Old 06-09-2014, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks pretty cheap to make smile.gif

Yeah, you're probably right.............but it looks like an art project!

Art scares me..........my high school art teacher used to beat me with a ruler.....of course with my mother's approval. biggrin.gif
post #855 of 1306 Old 06-10-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My thoughts and prayers go out to the students and staff at Reynolds High School..........events really hit close to home........
post #856 of 1306 Old 06-12-2014, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After three attempts to post pictures of new coffered ceiling project getting started.......

I GIVE UP!

Was looking forward to documenting coffered ceiling project which starts on Monday when Alder is to be delivered..........guess not.

Sorry, no photos of project nor Trinnov unit arrival!
post #857 of 1306 Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You want help? I'm a forum veteran and I remember the old "suckage" before the tumbler code we just lost.

Add the photo first at an attachment. The attachment button is below the reply submit button. I'll walk you through the rest to make it show better.

-

post #858 of 1306 Old 06-13-2014, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You want help? I'm a forum veteran and I remember the old "suckage" before the tumbler code we just lost.

Add the photo first at an attachment. The attachment button is below the reply submit button. I'll walk you through the rest to make it show better.
Thanks!

I'm an old enough member to remember somewhat the old method of attaching photos. I could only post thumbnail which I never bothered to resize. Getting those photos to proper viewing size would be most helpful! I don't really want to subscribe to photobucket and other online media storage sites!

Thanks, your help will be much appreciated! BTW, posting pics used to be easy....... Take pic with phone, upload and be done with it!

Guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks!
post #859 of 1306 Old 06-14-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Coffered ceiling project begins on Monday........well, at least I hope my raw lumber and trim is delivered by then.

First point is to make sure all 1 X 12's have been plained down
From 11/16's to requested 1/2 inch. Because I'll be nailing into substrate of 5/8 " OSB and then gluing........I want to make sure I can walk board flat, glue and nail with no issues.

I've modified my plans from traditional tic-tac-toe arrangement to a large center piece with rope light surround. Decision was made based on acoustics taking priority. 36 sf of 4" absorption will be used on ceiling for 1st reflection points and also for broadband absorption ie. 100 Hz upward. Still working on product for diffusion in rear........waiting on distributor getting back to me on whether 2' X 4' 3D panel can be made without frame and fabric. Diffuser looks exactly like MSR 3D diffuser but in larger configuration. Most likely, both diffusers are manufactured at same plant.....only price tag is different.....

Heading to town today purchasing my own compressor and three nailers. 15, pin and stapler.......tired of borrowing my brother-in-laws equipment! What brand I have no idea........

BTW Mfusick, I'll be needing that pic re-sizing lesson soon!

http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/u...1379428469.pdf
post #860 of 1306 Old 06-14-2014, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Second attempt on downloading picture. Blank canvas......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (201.4 KB, 180 views)

Last edited by doublewing11; 06-14-2014 at 10:35 AM.
post #861 of 1306 Old 06-14-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Second attempt on downloading picture. Blank canvas......
You need to open the attachment in another window and then copy the URL from the picture and place that between the [img] and [/I mg]

Not the attachment URL but the jpeg URL generated after you load the attachment.

-

post #862 of 1306 Old 06-14-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/attach...5&d=1402764794

That.

Like this:

doublewing11 likes this.

-

post #863 of 1306 Old 06-14-2014, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks,

Once attached, I opened attachment in another window and copied/pasted image......didn't think I used URL from attachment. Wii try again......on my wife' iPad.........which may be problem!
post #864 of 1306 Old 06-14-2014, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I think I found the problem..............I was opening the second window..........copying image, pasting but was getting http://http:// twice. Took one http:// out.......picture!

Thanks again..........now posting is doable!
post #865 of 1306 Old 06-14-2014, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I did that from my ipad^

It's pain. Takes twice as long as a dual monitor desktop. I like the old way better.

-

post #866 of 1306 Old 06-16-2014, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, Knotty Alder trim and boards didn't show......small delay in milling.

On positive note, just purchased Bostitch pancake compressor along with 16 gauge angled finish nailer, brad nailer and stapler. Have variety of different fasteners from 1" up to 2-1/2 inch. Just need to decide on how to seal Knotty Alder once stained.

Brother-in-law who is an extensive woodworker suggested Minwax wipe on poly in satin. He mention just two coats for application........if someone else has suggestions, once again I'm all ears. If in doubt, I could always spray a satin lacquer.
post #867 of 1306 Old 06-16-2014, 06:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I just used some on an end table for my wife for next to the bed, third coat just went on today. I use that stuff all the time. No complaints here. Simple. Cheap. Popular. Easily available. Not much to hate.

-

post #868 of 1306 Old 06-17-2014, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I just used some on an end table for my wife for next to the bed, third coat just went on today. I use that stuff all the time. No complaints here. Simple. Cheap. Popular. Easily available. Not much to hate.

Well, if I have your second approval......good enough for me! Wipe on poly it is.....
post #869 of 1306 Old 06-17-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My quest for finding dimensional lumber for nailer base for verticals has come to a standstill. In other words, finding 5/4 or 1 inch material that is straight has been impossible to find.

So.......I've decided to use 3/4 AC grade plywood and rip in dimensions I need. First, it will be straighter, second it will be cheaper since I only need two 4 X 8 sheets and is readily available. Thinking of using 3/4" for base, use 1/2 AC for interior and then just trim out with Knotty Alder all glued and nailed to vertical pieces.

Time to get show on the road!
post #870 of 1306 Old 06-17-2014, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Acoustic Solutions can sell 2 X 4 or 2 X 2 ft 3D molded diffusers without side trim and fabric. Cost is about 1/2 of MSR 3D diffuser product. Since I need six units, significant savings. Will wait until last minute to decide/order ie. have coffered ceiling built and see how many actual units I need.

On a cost saving note.......I have 27 linear feet of Boulder acoustic fabric leftover which is 70" wide so no need to order more fabric. Don't know how so much fabric is left over from my build.

My wife measured and ordered fabric since she is a quilter and understands how to order fabric. Guess she made a helpful mistake as I have enough fabric for this coffered ceiling project!

On another note, I also have enough fabric channels since I have 19 five foot units leftover from build. When I ordered channel, I ordered 100 pieces due to cost breakdown. If was slightly cheaper to order 100 pieces than what I actually needed ie. Receiving bulk discount has been helpful as there's enough fabric channels for this project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (90.4 KB, 103 views)
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page