post #61 of 1358 Old 06-17-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBenji View Post

Congratulations doublewing - this looks really amazing!

Thanks AirBengi,

The room is truly gorgeous and has received a lot of praise from those attending the home show. My neck of the woods, home theaters are foreign. Bend, Oregon probably has quite a few. BTW, I'm hoping Roger Dressler stops by someday and give me ideas on how to improve the room......he lives in Bend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1358 Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All is not done.............

Just purchased more Knotty Alder boards........... decided to trim out the upper part between soffit and wall so the base board matches. The small gap between the ceiling and fabric track is driving me nuts! Thought the ceiling trim could match the baseboard trim.

Will do the same to both intersecting walls......................5-1/2 X 3/4 trim.

Pictures to come..........
post #63 of 1358 Old 06-21-2013, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
For speakers, I know you were looking at the Adam Audio GTC 88 a while back. What made you decide on the Triads? Availability?

post #64 of 1358 Old 06-21-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

For speakers, I know you were looking at the Adam Audio GTC 88 a while back. What made you decide on the Triads? Availability?

I spent the greater part of two years looking for speakers.......up and down the West Coast.

To answer your question, I've only heard the Adam monitors and was impressed with their sound.....especially for their size. I was really interested in the GTC 88's but I was hoping they would come out with their in-wall version which was slated for the end of 2012......which didn't happen.

Because I wanted in-wall surrounds to place in columns.........that was the deciding factor on the Adams...........no in-walls for surround eliminated the system.

I decided to go with Triads due to several reasons.............first, Triad is an Oregon company which my wife wanted to support. Second, the Gold Monitors have always been my favorite speaker along with the Ariel 20V2's..................

Due to my room size, the Gold Monitors wouldn't cut it and Erskine Group spec-ed the system so I just went with their specs. Haven't fired up the system yet.............we shall see how it sounds.
post #65 of 1358 Old 06-22-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Wait, I am confused. You said "due to my room size the gold monitors wouldn't cut it". Did you mean to say something else? You did go with the Gold Monitors right? Is that what EG spec'd?

I have become interested in the GTC 88's too and wish I could listen to them close by. The Triad Gold's are high on my list to audition. I have heard the Noesis 212HT and for HT I have not heard anything better but there is a lot I have not heard and one needs to consider music as well.
post #66 of 1358 Old 06-22-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm surprised they spec'd the triads. Dennis said my B&W 802D's were only better than no speaker at all because of the tweeter (1" dome tweeters won't cut it for HT, need to be compression drivers). Shawn has reiterate that point several times here as well. I looked up Triad Gold Monitors & LCRs and both use 1" fabric dome tweeters. Go figure.

post #67 of 1358 Old 06-22-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident View Post

I'm surprised they spec'd the triads. Dennis said my B&W 802D's were only better than no speaker at all because of the tweeter (1" dome tweeters won't cut it for HT, need to be compression drivers). Shawn has reiterate that point several times here as well. I looked up Triad Gold Monitors & LCRs and both use 1" fabric dome tweeters. Go figure.

I would guess that important factors would include the type of AT screen and the distance from the speaker. I think if the screen was vinyl you are going to have to boost the treble by more db's than a woven screen. And a close listening distance might have something to do with it as well.

Maybe he spec'd them due to the customer's preference. EG have been Triad dealers for a long time I believe and there are certainly instances which they would be a fantastic choice. I wish I were more knowledgable to figure this one out myself.
post #68 of 1358 Old 06-23-2013, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Wait, I am confused. You said "due to my room size the gold monitors wouldn't cut it". Did you mean to say something else? You did go with the Gold Monitors right? Is that what EG spec'd?

I have become interested in the GTC 88's too and wish I could listen to them close by. The Triad Gold's are high on my list to audition. I have heard the Noesis 212HT and for HT I have not heard anything better but there is a lot I have not heard and one needs to consider music as well.

You are correct......Gold Monitors would not cut it.......so Gold LCR's are being used which is a three way whereas the Gold Monitors are two way, I love Gold Monitors but purchased Gold LCR's which were spec-Ed by EG.

Blame it on Triad's name game......
post #69 of 1358 Old 06-23-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Noesis 212's are fantastic speakers, but I'm not going to listen at rock concert levels.
IMHO, the Triad Golds sound better at moderate levels and so there was a trade off in my purchasing decision.

I came extremely close to purchasing Noesis 212's btw. Once again, thanks to Rob with opening his home to my wife and I.
post #70 of 1358 Old 06-26-2013, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have I lost my marbles? The little white thermostat has kept me up at night........................from the corner of my eye, all I could see was WHITE! What happened to my contrast? Black floor?

Now you see it..........................

Now you don't! Talk about ANAL RETENTIVE!!!!!

post #71 of 1358 Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

You are correct......Gold Monitors would not cut it.......so Gold LCR's are being used which is a three way whereas the Gold Monitors are two way, I love Gold Monitors but purchased Gold LCR's which were spec-Ed by EG.

Blame it on Triad's name game......

Oh, I see. I missed the monitors vs LCR thing. I would love to hear them sometime. Can't wait to get some listening impressions when you get everything hooked up.
post #72 of 1358 Old 06-28-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, I see. I missed the monitors vs LCR thing. I would love to hear them sometime. Can't wait to get some listening impressions when you get everything hooked up.

I'm waiting on AVS to deliver my A31 amp............I have an Evo 403, but refuse to hook up to the Gold LCR. Too tempting to let her rip! I'm also looking for a pre-amp...........looking at the Marantz 8801.........have to play with the GI to see if I like the machine.

I have ordered an S2 but would like to have used a pair of OS instead, but size matters as I didn't want to change my screen wall to accommodate. Need to see if I need leveling subs.................I'm anticipating I will as I've wired all mid-walls to accept subs.
post #73 of 1358 Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

The room is truly gorgeous and has received a lot of praise from those attending the home show. My neck of the woods, home theaters are foreign. Bend, Oregon probably has quite a few. BTW, I'm hoping Roger Dressler stops by someday and give me ideas on how to improve the room......he lives in Bend.
Just discovered your thread today via the "Completed theater" thread. I was trying to deduce where in Pacific NW you were, but then bang, right in Bend. OMG, I am salivating to see/hear/experience your room on multiple levels. On size alone, your room can comfortably hold two of mine. Who's in the coffin now? tongue.gif

What is handling the room tuning / EQ?

Next week I will be testing the Illusonic processor. Perhaps you'd like to hear it?
post #74 of 1358 Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Just discovered your thread today via the "Completed theater" thread. I was trying to deduce where in Pacific NW you were, but then bang, right in Bend. OMG, I am salivating to see/hear/experience your room on multiple levels. On size alone, your room can comfortably hold two of mine. Who's in the coffin now? tongue.gif

What is handling the room tuning / EQ?

Next week I will be testing the Illusonic processor. Perhaps you'd like to hear it?

Thanks Roger for replying.....................

I'm on the other side of the Cascades............a rocks throw from where your daughter works................you mentioned it about a year ago! wink.gif

I was hoping the next time you travel to see you daughter, you could stop by my theater and give me suggestions on what to do regarding DSP, improving sound etc. I will be using the Marantz 8801 for processing............but I'm looking for DSP for my 6 surrounds. I'm not completely in the house yet nor is the theater up and running. BTW, think you will enjoy the Sony 1000 if you haven't seen it already. You are always welcome to my home. smile.gif
post #75 of 1358 Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good call on keeping your wife happy. My Triad Plats look eerily like a large sectional soon to be placed in our living room. Oh well.

I love the knotty alder. Looking forward to seeing how the woodwork all comes together.

Where did you source your door? How about your hinges? Over 2'' thick is quite impressive.

Now I'm envious of your Plats!! Though I've never heard nor seen them!!!

I find it interesting regarding your loving the Knotty Alder. Twenty years ago, alder was considered junk wood...............we never received good dollar values per thousand. Now-a-days, Alder is like gold..............and there is a huge demand paying big bucks for the stuff. Go figure.................
post #76 of 1358 Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

I'm on the other side of the Cascades............a rocks throw from where your daughter works................you mentioned it about a year ago! wink.gif
Ahh! Will do. We were in the area for the 4th. Went to the St. Paul Rodeo/fireworks. Today in Vancouver and Mt. St. Helens.
Quote:
I was hoping the next time you travel to see you daughter, you could stop by my theater and give me suggestions on what to do regarding DSP, improving sound etc. I will be using the Marantz 8801 for processing............but I'm looking for DSP for my 6 surrounds.
Yes, the Marantz ought to do swell. XT32 works. But it would be nice to decorrelate the pairs of surrounds or at least time stagger them. I'll think on that.
Quote:
I'm not completely in the house yet nor is the theater up and running. BTW, think you will enjoy the Sony 1000 if you haven't seen it already. You are always welcome to my home. smile.gif
Have not seen the 1000, and would really like that. We'll find a time -- Thanks!
post #77 of 1358 Old 07-06-2013, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Ahh! Will do. We were in the area for the 4th. Went to the St. Paul Rodeo/fireworks. Today in Vancouver and Mt. St. Helens.
Yes, the Marantz ought to do swell. XT32 works. But it would be nice to decorrelate the pairs of surrounds or at least time stagger them. I'll think on that.
Have not seen the 1000, and would really like that. We'll find a time -- Thanks!

Great! Looking forward to your visit!
post #78 of 1358 Old 07-07-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Great................

Went shopping for Theater chairs.................will not receive two rows of 4 chairs for about 10-12 weeks. Makes no sense, but it is what it is.

I fought with my wife, but in the end.........I win! She wants leather, while I'd prefer cloth. My comeback was......."I didn't tell you what appliances to get, so does that mean you'll reciprocate regarding seating in my theater room?" Well..........got my way! smile.gif

One would think cloth would be cheaper.................NOT!
post #79 of 1358 Old 07-07-2013, 11:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Brave man with the fabric - have you got kids? pets? inconsiderate friends?

We've got it in our living room, love it, but its high maintenance

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #80 of 1358 Old 07-08-2013, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
My wife would have preferred cloth, but the chairs I got were not available in that.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #81 of 1358 Old 07-08-2013, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
cloth looks and feels great but with 5 kids cloth seating in our movie room would be a disaster. i am wiping down the seats from spills a lot - they live there too and enjoy the room but i am glad the leather (fake leather i guess)is easy to clean!
post #82 of 1358 Old 07-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have a cloth sectional that we use upstairs in Rec room and it's destroyed from the kids. Tis why I have 6 Fusion Escapes sitting in my garage for theater once it's done. Fusion Escapes

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #83 of 1358 Old 07-08-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

Brave man with the fabric - have you got kids? pets? inconsiderate friends?

We've got it in our living room, love it, but its high maintenance

Nope...........no kids at home.

IMHO, leather is very uncomfortable............we have it in our living room and I would only accept nubuck leather which was a compromise with the misses. She loves leather.........I hate it.

Maintenance is not a problem..........................comfort is priority
post #84 of 1358 Old 07-08-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Ah, you're all good then. I completely agree with you btw.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #85 of 1358 Old 07-09-2013, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those who take on the challenge of building their own dedicated, sound proofed, acoustically engineered room............I thought I'd give a heads up on specific construction costs that may be helpful............certainly, one can be more cost effective than I......but the same token, others could blow the roof off of mine.

Now remember........I didn't actually frame the room, but supervised and designed the footings, foundation etc. to take on the specifics for isolating the subfloor from the rest of the house. I did all the blocking in prep for clips and channels..........I didn't do insulation, electrical or drywall, but I did apply the green glue...... therefore these expenses are not mentioned. The following is a rough sketch which obviously will miss a few items.......but 90% of my invoices/receipts are included:

Hope this can help those contemplating building their own space..............

1) Framing total: $3805.40
Includes lumber and plywood for stage, riser, firring for trim
55 sheets of OSB

2) 1000 linear feet of hemmed 25 gauge hat channel $495

3) Insulation total: $1017.92
2 rolls Linacoutic RC
10 rolls of R-13 for riser, stage, and columns
4 rolls of R-21 for soffit and two columns

4) Soundproofing Material total: $4117.92
5 5-gal Green Glue pails
1 Green Glue Dispenser
16 tubes of acoustic caulk
372 whisperclips
16 IB-3 clips
1 case of putty pads
5 4X25ft 3/8" Serenity Mats
36" Zero bottom seal
Zero door perimeter seal

5) Lighting total: $1936.86
11 Lithuania 4" can lights with trim
6 sconces
68 ft rope light
1-6 zone Lutron Graffic Eye
2 Led step lights

6) Trim total: $3960
70 linear feet of 3/4 X5-1/2 Knotty Alder
48 linear feet of 1' X 5-1/2" Knotty Alder
6 sheets of 4 X 8 Knotty Alder Plywood for columns
66 linear ft of Knotty Alder crown molding
one custom 2-7/8 in solid knotty Alder door with 5" of set hardware.............$2300 which was the MAJOR expense!!!!

7) Sand 50 50-lb bags $199.50

8) Carpet and install 56 yards $3584

9) Fabric Wall most from Fabricmate total: $2556.80
100 pieces of 5 ft fabric track
35 yards of Meander color Boulder
10 yards GOM color Onyx
Tools for track
Finger jointed pine 1 X 4'' for channel firring (ripped in half) and used for building screen wall. ie. minimalist approach

10) cables from Monoprice: $542
xlr cables, hdmi, 12 in-wall wire 500ft etc.

11) Middle Atlantic AXS-R $1202

12) Paint, Lacquer total: $437.58
2 gal Ralph Lauren Suede Diego
3 gals lacquer
3 gals Kiltz primer
tarps/brushes/etc

Grand Total: $23,360.25 For building room only........equipment is another story!!smile.gif

OMG! Forgot Quest Acoustic Treatments and others!!!!!! $4800

New grand total: $28,160.25
Elill likes this.
post #86 of 1358 Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not bad for a GREAT room!!!

post #87 of 1358 Old 07-09-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbraden32 View Post

Not bad for a GREAT room!!!

Thanks.................

Can't wait to fire up the projector! Skyfall will be the premiere! smile.gif
post #88 of 1358 Old 07-10-2013, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I can't wait either!

I suspect when the great "Roger Dressler" visits the room and lends his feedback,
the sound will improve immensely.

With two arrays of side surrounds, DSP will be critical....finding the right methodology to do so has be dumbfounded.
post #89 of 1358 Old 07-10-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

The cost breakdown is very helpful for those considering building a dedicated sound isolated and treated room.

There are only a few of these candid looks on the forum. I found that before I started this endeavor I looked at other people's cost breakdown and thought to myself how I could do things so much cheaper. Well it just isn't true. One may shift the budget just a little in one direction or another but your total cost is pretty close to mine.

I just think people need to go into this with their eyes wide open and don't kid yourself about the cost. You can save on labor if you are a 100 percent DIY guy but I have seen those builds go for many years. Of course if it is what one wants to spend their free time doing then it is all good.
post #90 of 1358 Old 07-10-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Right. I plan on doing everything but the carpet myself, and you're quite right.

On the other hand... Some people buy an old wreck nad spend the same amount of hours tuning it back into a car... Yesit takes time, but honestly - do you really have anything more interesting to do? Surfing the net och watching tv doesn't count, not is payng video games. I'm sure I'd spend most of my hours doing one of those if I didn't have my project... So even if they are many, I'm quite certain most of them aren't wasted.

Under construction: the Larch theater
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page