The Coffin Build - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 1774 Old 06-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
For what it is worth, every time I purchased a "Smaller" pneumatic nailer, I used it more often. I typically use my Grex 23 gauge pin nailer for everything now as far as finish. You can get the nails up to 2"! For instance, I used 1-1/2" pin nails with glue to finish my UXL18 sub boxes (Erich's flat packs). Tiny holes in finish trim that you can barely see.

BT1
doublewing11 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1774 Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Save your marriage. Don't swim against the current. Path of least resistance has advantages.
Absolutely! With her input she feels SHE is making decisions.........active participant therefore she can't complain about dollar bills flying out the window!
post #903 of 1774 Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post
For what it is worth, every time I purchased a "Smaller" pneumatic nailer, I used it more often. I typically use my Grex 23 gauge pin nailer for everything now as far as finish. You can get the nails up to 2"! For instance, I used 1-1/2" pin nails with glue to finish my UXL18 sub boxes (Erich's flat packs). Tiny holes in finish trim that you can barely see.

BT1
Since I'll be gluing.........crown pin nailed might be the ticket. For the most part, I won't have to fill in nails due to either being covered by crown or being covered by already installed light tray.

BTW, how are the UXL's treating you? Best purchase so far next to my projector!

Last night I watched WOTW for the first time.......OMG! I ran the pod scene for a second time at 0 and thought room was going to explode or break apart! Room was shaking violently......floors were sending pulsating energy which I've never experienced. Absolutely happy with quads and am really glad I didn't get a second S2!
post #904 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 AM
Advanced Member

Yes, the pin nails are headless, so there is nothing to fill you have to look really hard to see any holes. I have used them in crown many times and other finish trim and never filled. The nicest part about that is that I can typically pre-paint or pre-finish which often is easier than with the pieces in place.

I love the UXL's. I have not even measured or EQ'd them yet, but they sound excellent for music and for movies they dig very deep and maintain their composure for everything that I have thrown at them. I also have two Captivator 1000's which I love, but I may sell them to go all sealed, or I may keep them for their impact and put them behind the seating position.

I currently have two and will add two more. I recently purchased a new house, which happens to have a perfect location for a dedicated theater, so I will be referencing your thread as well as the others here on AVS for inspiration and start the planning/building process.

BT1
doublewing11 likes this.
post #905 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the pin nails are headless, so there is nothing to fill you have to look really hard to see any holes. I have used them in crown many times and other finish trim and never filled. The nicest part about that is that I can typically pre-paint or pre-finish which often is easier than with the pieces in place.

I love the UXL's. I have not even measured or EQ'd them yet, but they sound excellent for music and for movies they dig very deep and maintain their composure for everything that I have thrown at them. I also have two Captivator 1000's which I love, but I may sell them to go all sealed, or I may keep them for their impact and put them behind the seating position.

I currently have two and will add two more. I recently purchased a new house, which happens to have a perfect location for a dedicated theater, so I will be referencing your thread as well as the others here on AVS for inspiration and start the planning/building process.

BT1
Congrats on finding a new home..........I've found great joy being able to build this room. With all the existing build threads, you should find lots of inspiration. Looking forward to following build!

BTW, I don't know your personal tastes, but consider using real stained wood. For most cost is defining factor or consideration in selection of material. From a DIY perspective, I've found MDF just slightly less expensive than most wood materials I have access to. IMHO, well worth the slight added cost.........
post #906 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Congrats on finding a new home..........I've found great joy being able to build this room. With all the existing build threads, you should find lots of inspiration. Looking forward to following build!

BTW, I don't know your personal tastes, but consider using real stained wood. For most cost is defining factor or consideration in selection of material. From a DIY perspective, I've found MDF just slightly less expensive than most wood materials I have access to. IMHO, well worth the slight added cost.........

Thank you! I am excited.

Real wood is something I love (Love the alder by the way!), but my current house has mostly painted trim, etc. MDF is not the most enjoyable material to work with, but it is true and flat and if supported properly will stay that way. Another advantage to using pins with MDF is that it does not cause swelling where you fasten it. With larger finish nails after a humid Summer the MDF can swell especially in the area of the fastener which has caused the fill material to flake out and paint to chip. I have not had that issue with pin nails and glue.

BT1
doublewing11 likes this.
post #907 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Will be doing this ceiling project in two stages......

Stage one, I'll be trimming out the perimeter soffit face and adding 1/2 X 2 trim piece under current light tray. As light tray currently sits, I receive a little bit of light bleed even though the tray interior is wrapped in foil tape. Have wanted to add that trim piece for some time.....yet waited until start of trimming soffit face project.

Really lucky on getting costs down for trim.......this first round which includes all trim for soffit face and perimeter ceiling is less than $500 for all! Stain and sealer coat is not included, but a friend from church who does high end painting will sand and shoot 4 coats of satin lacquer for me for $200........I have to supply lacquer. One job off my hands........at least I'll know the surface of all trim from this project will be perfect. The guy is really talented with sealing wood.

Here is materials list for stage one of project........once again, all Knotty Alder wood for less than $500!

70 linear feet 1" X 10" X 9/16th "
70 linear feet 4-1/4" crown molding
140 linear feet 1/2" x 3-1/2"OG base molding
70 linear feet 1/2" X 2" base which I will use router to add a little detail.
8 linear feet 1-1/2" cove molding for corner trim
post #908 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thank you! I am excited.

Real wood is something I love (Love the alder by the way!), but my current house has mostly painted trim, etc. MDF is not the most enjoyable material to work with, but it is true and flat and if supported properly will stay that way. Another advantage to using pins with MDF is that it does not cause swelling where you fasten it. With larger finish nails after a humid Summer the MDF can swell especially in the area of the fastener which has caused the fill material to flake out and paint to chip. I have not had that issue with pin nails and glue.

BT1

Since I'm gluing, you have me convinced to purchase pin nailer for crown which is only trim piece were finish nails will be exposed. BTW, I hate trying to match/fill finish holes!
post #909 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are three stain mockups for Knotty Alder. Light tray and base molding is done in natural ie. no stain. Soffit face is going to be stained using cut "Fruitwood"......my go to stain. Wife likes idea of two different colors of wood and I tend to agree with her.

Here are three different levels of diluted stain all done in "Fruitwood". Concentration goes from 75% to 25%........let you guys comment on stain concentrations. I promise you, all are different even if it's hard to tell. I started out at 25% took a picture, 50% took a picture an so forth. These photos are mock ups for beam trim for center piece holding acoustic treatments and have legs that attach to soffit.

What to you think? BTW, one edge piece has straight "Fruitwood" ie. hasn't been diluted which is easy to see. Thought I'd show what straight "Fruitwood" looks like.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (213.2 KB, 172 views)

Last edited by doublewing11; 06-21-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: Vbulletin posted same three photos
post #910 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (153.8 KB, 167 views)
post #911 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (222.0 KB, 167 views)
post #912 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

I vote for 75. Beautiful wood.

BT1
post #913 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Does the image in post 909 show all three stains, or am I comparing the stain in posts 909, 910, and 911?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #914 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Does the image in post 909 show all three stains, or am I comparing the stain in posts 909, 910, and 911?
Stumped?

All three photos have different dilutions........side 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 trim which is on edge of 1x8 is 100% and 50%......can you tell which is which?

Alder is such an easy wood to stain......all samples have had Benzite wood conditioner applied so blotching is not an issue. If you were at my site you could tell which dilution is which....yet it's very shuttle.
post #915 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'll help ya JPA......

This is just KA shot with 4 coats of Lacquer. To be fair, those side trim pieces have been shot with rattle can lacquer to test sheen.......1X8 has different dilutions of stain. I'm definitely going to use satin lacquer and not go as many coats. Definitely prefer a soft mat finish/sealer coat ie. least amount of visible sheen possible.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (175.6 KB, 156 views)
post #916 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I vote for 75. Beautiful wood.

BT1
Yeah, I'm leaning 50% or 75%. Depth of grain improves with less stain.

Now the real question is........which one is 75%?
post #917 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm just not sure what I'm comparing I guess.

In post 909 and 911, I like the right edge. The stain has a richer look to me. The middle section in both of those posts looks dry in comparison. I may not be seeing the left side of the mockup well due to the flash overexposing that part of the picture, though.

In post 910, I'm guessing the board on the right is natural (no stain that is)? In any case, those boards look dry as well, so I'm not really digging those.

If some of those have lacquer already applied and others don't, that may be what's catching my eye.

As far as overall color goes, I'd say I like the right side of the board shown in post 911 the most.

post #918 of 1774 Old 06-21-2014, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm just not sure what I'm comparing I guess.

In post 909 and 911, I like the right edge. The stain has a richer look to me. The middle section in both of those posts looks dry in comparison. I may not be seeing the left side of the mockup well due to the flash overexposing that part of the picture, though.

In post 910, I'm guessing the board on the right is natural (no stain that is)? In any case, those boards look dry as well, so I'm not really digging those.

If some of those have lacquer already applied and others don't, that may be what's catching my eye.

As far as overall color goes, I'd say I like the right side of the board shown in post 911 the most.

You have quite the eye.......

The piece you like was leftover from my column build....... Straight, 100% pure stain with 4 coats of lacquer. Had a feeling people would gravitate to that. Well, columns were stained like that piece, maybe would make sense to do the same.

In all honesty, the different dilutions are so subtle........with several coats of sealer it might be hard to tell the difference.

Last edited by doublewing11; 06-21-2014 at 08:06 PM.
post #919 of 1774 Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 777
I'd vote the uniform look. Try to continue as you already have and keep things close to the same or similar.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #920 of 1774 Old 06-23-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'd vote the uniform look. Try to continue as you already have and keep things close to the same or similar.
Well, that ship has sailed......

The base molding along with light tray is natural......just four coats of lacquer. The addition will most likely match columns...........columns and base molding connect but wood tone difference is not as dramatic as my wife hoped for......she tends to buck the system.

Guess, I'll stain exactly like columns and see the end result. This time around, 70 ft of light tray crown which is not stained will be running along side of 14" wide stained soffit face trim with same 70 ft length.

Personally, I think my wife was on to something........she wanted to do same in kitchen but cabinet maker didn't get her memo! She was bummed but she only has herself to blame......I warned her three times to get on it !

Last edited by doublewing11; 06-23-2014 at 06:11 PM.
post #921 of 1774 Old 06-23-2014, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just remembered about this photo..........can you make out the difference between the crown molding, base molding, and door done in natural to columns done in straight "Fruitwood" stain?

The difference is subtle, but on close inspection there is a difference. I'm really leaning to staining soffit face and semi-coffers same as columns. Does photo help?

What do you think?
post #922 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

I vote for darker like the columns. While I do not think that any variation of the same wood will look bad, I just think darker looks better on a ceiling. That wood grain really is rich.

BT1
doublewing11 likes this.
post #923 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I vote for darker like the columns. While I do not think that any variation of the same wood will look bad, I just think darker looks better on a ceiling. That wood grain really is rich.

BT1
Thanks for the feedback.......you and Mfusick are on the same page and really appreciate your feedback.

What's funny, in business world I'm decisive but this decorative stuff helps me get in touch with my feminine side ie. can't make up my mind.

Decision to prioritize acoustics over aesthetics now has me thinking why can't I have both? The center piece of ceiling currently is close to 13' X 8' leaving approximately 34" from center perimeter to soffit vertical face........I'm thinking real hard about adding two small legs to each side with a single leg where projector is located. To do so, I have a few issues to contend with.

Really appreciate your feedback........definitely adds a level of confidence to this endeavor.
post #924 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

That is very funny! My Wife and I are both Chemical Engineers and could not pick paint colors for 5 years, let alone furniture, etc. Luckily our oldest Daughter has a lot of imagination and creativity when it comes to that stuff!

So, prepare yourself to pay it forward when I need some design help!

BT1
post #925 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

After seeing the picture above, I like the column color as well. Is that the color I picked above?

post #926 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
After seeing the picture above, I like the column color as well. Is that the color I picked above?
Yep........

You have a special place in this thread JPA.......you were my very first poster and I always respect your opinion......who wouldn't, you're so anal retentive to details! Sorry, you should have been included in prior post......

You guys have made me 100% certain to use same staining process as what I used on columns!

Thanks.....

There are a few more decisions to be made......today, I'll be staining/sanding trim pieces.......that decision is done!
post #927 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is very funny! My Wife and I are both Chemical Engineers and could not pick paint colors for 5 years, let alone furniture, etc. Luckily our oldest Daughter has a lot of imagination and creativity when it comes to that stuff!

So, prepare yourself to pay it forward when I need some design help!

BT1
We have something in common.......both trained as engineers! But I must confess, I took a different career path.

My wife too is talented in the sciences........which leads me to believe I've been married to a female version of Spock! I appreciate her logical nature which is rare since she is an elementary school teacher........seems like an oxymoron!

Anyhow, wife and I tend to meander when it comes to decorating decisions..........paralysis by analysis!

BTW, you are luck your daughter is creative...........my oldest has not one decorative bone in her body...........she is so much like me it's pathetic........I feel sorry for her!
post #928 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
……..Sorry, you should have been included in prior post......
………..
Ha! I didn't mean it like that. I was just checking to see if I was contradicting myself

post #929 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 777
Your picture embed skills are improving....

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #930 of 1774 Old 06-24-2014, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your picture embed skills are improving....
Thanks, I had a good teacher!
Mfusick likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page