The Coffin Build - Page 34 - AVS Forum
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last
Dedicated Theater Design & Construction > The Coffin Build
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 11:45 AM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Great...........teaches me NOT to forget cell phone when I leave town! I probably would have checked out miter saw before I purchased this at Home Depot!

Like the idea the miter saw is 12" from Harbour Freight........

It's an 80+ mile round trip for me ........is it really worth it? Now if I exchange and it's a piece of schiese.......I'll flying into Logan and hunt you down in Mass!
Attached: image.jpg (238.3 KB) 

Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 01:19 PM 06-30-2014
I'm on boarder of CT so fly into Bradley airport / Hartford CT. It's about an hour less drive.

It's not like that ryobi sucks (I have one) but the harbor freight really is a steal for the money.

Use the ryobi for now, return it next time you go to the store. HD will give you a credit if you change you mind. Gives you something to use in the meantime before you get te other.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 01:54 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
I'm on boarder of CT so fly into Bradley airport / Hartford CT. It's about an hour less drive.

It's not like that ryobi sucks (I have one) but the harbor freight really is a steal for the money.

Use the ryobi for now, return it next time you go to the store. HD will give you a credit if you change you mind. Gives you something to use in the meantime before you get te other.
You're evil ! lol

doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 03:24 PM 06-30-2014

Bottom of light tray is getting 1 X 2 piece underneath......really beefs up crown.....I like it.

Wife is my little helper when I need to nail and glue each piece. I have to scream at her from her dedicated sewing room ......a little pun.......anyhow, she is dragging her feet because she's in middle of a quilting project.....oh well!
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 03:58 PM 06-30-2014

Attached: image.jpg (238.2 KB) 
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:58 PM 06-30-2014
Bostitch compressor didn't work out so purchased Porter Cable pancake......well compressor works like a charm along with 16 gauge gun that came with it. Have to purchase a pin nailer for crown molding.

Attached: compressor.jpg (141.0 KB) 
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:04 PM 06-30-2014
Liquid nails panel adhesive on back of 1 X 8. Yeah, I was very careful about getting adhesive on her Iranian imported granite! By the way, thought there was an embargo on Iran.....

Attached: image.jpg (211.8 KB) 
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:13 PM 06-30-2014
Base for coffered ceiling is coming together. First piece of 1 X 8 going up.......just 63 linear feet to go. Nice to have KA that is straight and in 10 ft sections.....very light wood for sure.

Tomorrow hope to have all 1 X 8 nailed and glued in place. When done, for insurance I plan to counter sink Spax 2" self tapping screws at ends and at 5 ft intervals top and bottom......just a little insurance.

Attached: image.jpg (193.8 KB) 
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:16 PM 06-30-2014

Attached: image.jpg (176.5 KB) 
pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 08:25 PM 06-30-2014
Can't say it enough times- I love the wood that you used in your theater! Choice!
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:25 PM 06-30-2014
BTW, I'm cutting butt ends of 1 X 8's at 30 degrees.......have always done it that way. I prefer 30 over 45's or 22.5.

Attached: image.jpg (243.4 KB) 
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 08:33 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Can't say it enough times- I love the wood that you used in your theater! Choice!

Thanks!

I can't wait to get coffers going.....still trying to figure out design. Issue really is what to do about Atmos and still have speakers hidden!

I'm re-thinking about purchasing the TEQ-12 since 12 channels is limit and am currently at 13. Maybe QSC products TMcG was talking about..........he hasn't visited for a while so I must learn more on my own.

PDX, you'll have to pay a visit when I'm done.
btinindy's Avatar btinindy 09:02 PM 06-30-2014
Very nice! Getting started is always the hardest part, well, that and finishing!

I can already tell that this will take your theater to the next level. Wood looks rich and warm. Keep up the good work.

BT1
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 09:19 PM 06-30-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post
Very nice! Getting started is always the hardest part, well, that and finishing!

I can already tell that this will take your theater to the next level. Wood looks rich and warm. Keep up the good work.

BT1
Thanks for the inspiring comments! Rich and warm are the two adjectives I was shooting for! I'm not a fan of black but glad I did do front and side of screen in black.....does help with picture.

Glad you are keeping tabs.......I've been looking forward to this part of build for a year! I now have time on my hands to actually do the work. Gotta love finish work....

Looking forward to watching your build too....lots of fun!
JRock3x8's Avatar JRock3x8 06:48 AM 07-01-2014
love the wood look
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:27 AM 07-01-2014
Up at 5:00 AM in the morning getting ready to start.......coffee in hand raring to make sawdust.

After today, I will be at a standstill..............wrong sized crown hasn't been replaced yet which is most likely a good thing.....ie more time to think.

This Atmos announcement has me second guessing myself regarding design ie. coffer ceiling, eq.........VOG speakers, you name it. Since I have no ETA for crown, I have a few days to figure it out.

If VOG speakers in Atmos will work in front and behind seating positions in an angled baffle, I'm good to go..........if not, with best practice being VOG speaker coming from side, then my current design has issues to overcome. Hoping anyone who has been researching and in the know will have suggestions.

I am really looking at hiding all speakers and have placed a premium on wood accents being show piece of room along with incredible acoustics. I'm getting there. The only aspect of room which is finished is video side........very few projectors can compete with Sony 1100ES which I am blessed to have received guidance from those in the know from AVS.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 07:31 AM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
love the wood look
Thanks........

I'm looking forward to seeing all that wood on currently bland ceiling!
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 01:45 PM 07-01-2014
So.......

If I'm going to invest more money into implementing Dolby Atmos system, before I do......I have to experience Atmos for myself. Wife and I are planning on taking a trip tomorrow to Seattle area just to experience this new Dolby Atmos movement. It's close to 4 hour drive but will be worth it if it helps with decision making process to implement Atmos or not.

New Transformer movie or Edge of Tomorrow.......hmmmmm tough choice.

No theater in Oregon has Atmos..........which BTW is always the case on cutting edge technology!

I'm just wondering how Atmos is so much better? Is it really worth changing my plans completely? Those who have experienced Dolby Atmos, how is it better?
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 01:51 PM 07-01-2014
It's not a major improvement; but checking it out is a good idea.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 02:48 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
It's not a major improvement; but checking it out is a good idea.

Have you seen a movie in an Atmos theater?
HopefulFred's Avatar HopefulFred 04:58 PM 07-01-2014
I think it's pretty good. Some mixes are more interesting than others; Gravity was exemplary, IMO. Either of those should be a good choice, though I bet Edge of Tomorrow is the better movie. Make sure you get there early enough to get seats in the center of the auditorium.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 05:08 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
I think it's pretty good. Some mixes are more interesting than others; Gravity was exemplary, IMO. Either of those should be a good choice, though I bet Edge of Tomorrow is the better movie. Make sure you get there early enough to get seats in the center of the auditorium.
You are probably right Fred........for some reason, most of Tom Cruise movies I enjoy......though I'm not a fan of TC per say.

I'm really curious to find out myself.......ie Atmos. Is it worth the headache and investment in your honest opinion? If all it entails is slapping speakers in ceiling at correct point sources......then pre-wiring seems to make sense.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 05:17 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Have you seen a movie in an Atmos theater?
I saw hunger games Catching fire in ATMOS a while back, it was the first and only time. IMAX was better IMO. It's about a 40 minute drive to an ATMOS theater so it's not something I do (or would do) very often.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 06:16 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
I saw hunger games Catching fire in ATMOS a while back, it was the first and only time. IMAX was better IMO. It's about a 40 minute drive to an ATMOS theater so it's not something I do (or would do) very often.
40 minutes? That's nothing!

To get to anywhere around these parts, 40 minute drive is very close. BTW, I do recall only taking an hour to drive from NH to CT.

Thanks for heads up on your experience......we do have an IMAX theater in Portland......my experience wasn't earth shattering.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 06:29 PM 07-01-2014
Yes it is about an hour from CT to NH or VT. I live on the boarder of CT and MA and I can get out of mass going north in an hour. I can hit Boston in about 1 hour 45 minutes without traffic. Hartford is about 40 min away. In New England anything more than half hour drive is considered far away.
pdxrealtor's Avatar pdxrealtor 08:05 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
So.......

If I'm going to invest more money into implementing Dolby Atmos system, before I do......I have to experience Atmos for myself. Wife and I are planning on taking a trip tomorrow to Seattle area just to experience this new Dolby Atmos movement. It's close to 4 hour drive but will be worth it if it helps with decision making process to implement Atmos or not.

New Transformer movie or Edge of Tomorrow.......hmmmmm tough choice.

No theater in Oregon has Atmos..........which BTW is always the case on cutting edge technology!

I'm just wondering how Atmos is so much better? Is it really worth changing my plans completely? Those who have experienced Dolby Atmos, how is it better?
DW - Vancouver WA Cinetopia has one, maybe two, atmos rooms. Put together by Meyers sound.

Last I checked they were playing how to kill your dragon two and jersey boys. That was about two weeks ago.

Let me know when your room is ready for a movie night!

Here ya go- http://cinetopia.com/pricing-page-vancouver-mall-23/

2 atmos rooms. Also, I heard a movie reviewer who loved txformers 1 say txformers 4 was horrible. Worse than txformers 2!
HopefulFred's Avatar HopefulFred 08:26 PM 07-01-2014
In the context of a full-on home theater build, with the commensurate budget, etc. I think adding wiring for 4 ceiling speakers for ATMOS makes good sense if there is at least four feet between ears and speakers.

ATMOS isn't a hugely revolutionary experience at this point. It's good, but like all movie-making technology the implementation is critical (3D, anyone?). If it catches on, I think it's a reasonable $1000 upgrade to a nice home theater (I say $1000 for the speakers, and assume that the processor won't be a significant additional cost in the future). If it doesn't catch on or if directors and sound designers don't make good use of it, the wire is a cheap hedge.

Now that my favorite local cinema has RPX, it's the only way I want to see spectacular movies (since at home is not a competitive option... yet ). ATMOS is part of that, but the big screen is too, and the nicer seats, and especially the better sound calibration in the auditorium - but it is a more expensive ticket.
Mfusick's Avatar Mfusick 08:28 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Not the exact center though. Bass isn't the best there
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 09:46 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
DW - Vancouver WA Cinetopia has one, maybe two, atmos rooms. Put together by Meyers sound.

Last I checked they were playing how to kill your dragon two and jersey boys. That was about two weeks ago.

Let me know when your room is ready for a movie night!

Here ya go- http://cinetopia.com/pricing-page-vancouver-mall-23/

2 atmos rooms. Also, I heard a movie reviewer who loved txformers 1 say txformers 4 was horrible. Worse than txformers 2!

Thanks a lot! I looked for Dolby Atmos theaters from Dolby website which indicated Lakewood was closest (Seattle)...........that saves 2-1/2 hours drive time.

Not a Transformer fan........but it seems the TC movie has had good reviews and should be a real test for listening to Atmos.

When I'm done, your more than welcome for a visit. You will be impressed with the upgraded Sony 1000.
doublewing11's Avatar doublewing11 09:55 PM 07-01-2014
Quote:
In the context of a full-on home theater build, with the commensurate budget, etc. I think adding wiring for 4 ceiling speakers for ATMOS makes good sense if there is at least four feet between ears and speakers.

Now that my favorite local cinema has RPX, it's the only way I want to see spectacular movies (since at home is not a competitive option... yet ).
Well.......I do have 10 ft ceiling which helps. Four feet........no problem.

As far as your room.......I expect it to be stellar!
Tags: Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
First ... 32  33  34 35  36  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop