post #1051 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post
Happy 4th to you as well. I am beyond ready for a long weekend and the weather is absolutely beautiful this weekend in Indiana.

I have heard the Triad gold's and I thought they were exceptional. I have also heard JTR 212's and Triple 12's. I also think that both of these are exceptional. All of the rooms were very well treated. The JTR's were in a DIY treated room, the Triads in a professionally designed and treated room. All of the above impressed me for different reasons, but above all it further confirmed that the room is the largest piece of the puzzle, and given a certain budget I would rather invest in room treatment done right and even go with a less capable speaker IF compromises have to be made. My Wife will attest that I hate compromising, so I probably won't when it comes to speakers, etc.

Everyone is a little different, and for whatever reason, I really like the sound of compression drivers when EQ'd correctly.

BT1
I couldn't agree with you more.......room is 75+% of what we here.

Not a fan of compression drivers, though I must admit PHC ie. Proaudiotech compression drivers have that HUGE cinema sound which was appealing. Of course the $50,000+ ticket for admission was hard for me to chew......

Myself personally, I'm a ribbon type of guy and came real close to purchasing Adam Audio GTC 88's......but in-wall GTC's that were supposed to come out were scraped. I needed in-walls for columns so dropped them. AMT's are very close to ribbons.......if I'd have known about Quested speakers, could have easily gone that way too.

Happy 4th
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
What is the dimensions of the space you are putting your coffered ceiling in? I guess I'm asking for the space between he soffits?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1053 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

What about something like this for your ceiling?

Or you can move the projector base if it needs to be connected to the soffit.

doublewing11 likes this.

Last edited by J_P_A; 07-04-2014 at 02:11 PM.
post #1054 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 224
^ that's very similar to option 3 from before, I think. The Coffin Build

I think your particular variation doesn't account for the space that was to be allocated for ceiling treatments, but I'm not sure how that fits with the possibility of ceiling speakers. Perhaps wait and see is the right approach, unless DW has already committed and not revealed his complete plan.
post #1055 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. Unfortunately, I think the proportions of his previous sketches have been bothering me a bit. The center is much larger compared to the open areas around the edges. If he truly needs that space, I think it might look better to use smaller coffers and break the center portion up into more spaces to get the proportions back into share. Take all this with a grain of salt, though. I like things to be symmetric and even. Not everyone has the same OCD I do

My gut feel at this point is the ceiling speakers will need to be near the soffit rather than out towards the middle near the coffers. Obviously I don't know anymore than anyone else on the topic, just a guess. But if that turns out to be true, I don't think it will change the design of the coffers much, unless we try to hide the speakers in one of the legs. If that's the case then the coffer design will be heavily dictated by where the speakers are going to be.

post #1056 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
What is the dimensions of the space you are putting your coffered ceiling in? I guess I'm asking for the space between he soffits?
Inside vertical soffit is 12'8" by 19'10"........
post #1057 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What about something like this for your ceiling?

Or you can move the projector base if it needs to be connected to the soffit.

I really prefer what you've drawn up and would like to build coffer that way...........my hang up is in ceiling treatments which is main reason for that 13 x 8 center piece. Now with possible Atmos implementation, it may make your design even harder.

I wonder what acoustical property coffers will have.......it coffers help with first reflection points by diffusion that would be the ticket! Thousand pound gorilla now is how do you hide four speakers?
post #1058 of 1812 Old 07-04-2014, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
^ that's very similar to option 3 from before, I think. The Coffin Build

I think your particular variation doesn't account for the space that was to be allocated for ceiling treatments, but I'm not sure how that fits with the possibility of ceiling speakers. Perhaps wait and see is the right approach, unless DW has already committed and not revealed his complete plan.
Fred, you are correct......does have similarities as #3 ........that plan is only problematic that I have to re-wire two 4 " can lights that are in sealed backer boxes.

I haven't committed to any design yet........though I admit leaning to #1 or #6 which is only projector leg.

By adding legs, figuring out light tray is another issue which can be solved. Don't want a second light tray on vertical soffit face, but would like light tray in middle hence #6 .

With Atmos speakers, all four would go in corners of center piece.....rest would be acoustical treatments.
post #1059 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just sitting back on porch on the 4th contemplating JPA's drawing...........symmetry is good. But what about acoustical treatments...........?

Decision has to be made by Monday or Tuesday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	148970  
post #1060 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
You can cover acoustical treatments with black cloth and do a fiber optic star ceiling in between the coffers for a sky light effect.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1061 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you split the acoustic panels between two sections of the coffer? If I remember correctly, the center section of that render is about 4'x6'. That was based on guessing what your dimensions are, but it looks like it would be a few inches bigger than that.

Nice view, sir! That looks like it would be good for the soul!
doublewing11 likes this.

post #1062 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't do a render right now, but could you rotate the panels so that you have a diamond shape and do the coffers that way?

post #1063 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
You can cover acoustical treatments with black cloth and do a fiber optic star ceiling in between the coffers for a sky light effect.
I guess I could.........how do you like JPA's rendition? His sample was my first thought before I started this project. I have over 27 linear feet of 70" wide acoustic fabric left which is on wall........GOM "Meander" in color Boulder. I'm not a fan of black.......it was hard for me to commit installing GOF Onyx on side walls but glad I did. The plan has always been to use wall fabric on ceiling.

Good idea on star ceiling in voids, but I'm not a fan of painted or fiber optic star ceilings........I prefer focus be beauty of wood. Besides, I'm old , boring , and have no artistic taste! Wife also keeps asking me why am I covering up that beautiful ceiling......
post #1064 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Well darker ceiling gives best picture quality and image performance so whatever you do I think if you make the ceiling dark (black obviously the best) it will be good in terms of your cinema experience. My suggestion was coming from that angle.

Black ceilings (fabric) over acoustical treatments will also be best for not just picture but for sound too. Obviously color doesn't effect the sound, but the treatment does. I was just thinking combine the best of both words. Turning it into a star ceiling is one way to keep it from being plain. You can turn it off too. But if that's not your thing I'd do something with geometry ... Diamond's or circles or ovals could be cool.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1065 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can you split the acoustic panels between two sections of the coffer? If I remember correctly, the center section of that render is about 4'x6'. That was based on guessing what your dimensions are, but it looks like it would be a few inches bigger than that.

Nice view, sir! That looks like it would be good for the soul!
Yes, that is what I've been contemplating..........how to use voids in coffer. What do you think with using fabric channel in middle three and back three voids..........leaving front three squares empty. I've thought about that idea.....but wonder about look. I'd lose crown on vertical soffit face, but I'd gain additional space for ceiling speakers and/or acoustic treatment locations. Wonder if it would look hokie?

BTW, that's our Family Partnership ranch.........we had an option to build on property but ultimately built in town. May still sell our current home and move out there and build home theater #2 . Those trees in back ground put food on table!
post #1066 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Well darker ceiling gives best picture quality and image performance so whatever you do I think if you make the ceiling dark (black obviously the best) it will be good in terms of your cinema experience. My suggestion was coming from that angle.

Black ceilings (fabric) over acoustical treatments will also be best for not just picture but for sound too. Obviously color doesn't effect the sound, but the treatment does. I was just thinking combine the best of both words. Turning it into a star ceiling is one way to keep it from being plain. You can turn it off too. But if that's not your thing I'd do something with geometry ... Diamond's or circles or ovals could be cool.
I'm a green and brown color guy........colors of nature. Had a hard time picking colors so settled on gray-green (acoustic fabric) and gray- brown (ceiling and carpet). All colors coordinate well........well, in both my wife's and I's color wheelhouse.

Great suggestions on geometry........my only worry is looking too modern. If I make sense at all.......rustic, lodge look with a touch of traditional is what both my wife and I prefer. Does that make sense? Both my wife and I are decorative outliers ie. don't have mainstream decorative tastes..........

When you think of Montana, think of our home!
post #1067 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This photo may illustrate my thinking.....

I'm taking down projector mount cover plate which will be part of coffers.....will also be stained just like vertical soffit face. Only base trim molding and light tray crown on soffit will remain natural....rest all "Fruitwood" stained.

I thought real hard about varying depth which this small detail catches eye without being too bold. Depth of projector mount box is 5-1/2 " and would like to use same depth for rest of coffer ceiling.........problem is, not much room for light tray crown molding and what to so for coffer and soffit transition. BTW JPA, I'm starting to become enamored with your rendition.

Question is, I can forget tray lighting all together which will expose beam face more.......or I could put crown light tray at bottom of coffer beams like my soffits bottoms. To light or not to light.......hmmmm

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	128
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	149058  
post #1068 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I can't do a render right now, but could you rotate the panels so that you have a diamond shape and do the coffers that way?
Sorry, missed this......iPhone issue!

That was TMcG's idea.......BTW, where is TMcG?

Yes, it could be rotated but do you think that would be too modern with a twist of traditional? Just thinking out loud.......

Don't want to lose rustic, simple look......

Boy, am I too picky, set in my ways........being a pain?
post #1069 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

The lighting is a very cool and classy look, IMO. However, I wouldn't call it rustic. While I don't think it would really clash with the rest of the design, I don't think it's an integral part. If you were using it for a star ceiling or something that you specifically wanted to highlight, then by all means go for it; but I would be comfortable skipping it.
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1070 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The lighting is a very cool and classy look, IMO. However, I wouldn't call it rustic. While I don't think it would really clash with the rest of the design, I don't think it's an integral part. If you were using it for a star ceiling or something that you specifically wanted to highlight, then by all means go for it; but I would be comfortable skipping it.
Yeah, I agree......rope light in a tray really isn't rustic. What light tray does is accent the wood which is what I'm after.

Thanks Fred.....I really like current light tray as mentioned before ie. accents Knotty Alder..........what are your thoughts having two different sized crowns in room, both used for rope light. Wondering if I should keep same crown for coffers and soffit light tray.......or going to 3-1/4 crown on coffers which would really solve a lot of problems.

Thoughts?
post #1071 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

My initial reaction is that the lighting should be uniform, even if the coffer or soffit or whatever else is different.

If the moldings are never illuminating the same area of ceiling, you might get away with different schemes. But I'd avoid it.
Mfusick and doublewing11 like this.
post #1072 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Today I'm officially done with my "honey do list!" I've been working on several projects for wife while still working on my room project. I was told I can now concentrate on my room! The "General speaks!"

Last project.....building raised beds for misses!

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	123
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	149402  
post #1073 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My initial reaction is that the lighting should be uniform, even if the coffer or soffit or whatever else is different.

If the moldings are never illuminating the same area of ceiling, you might get away with different schemes. But I'd avoid it.
Yeah.......in back of my mind I was worried about that. With semi-beefy 4-1/4" crown, I'm forced to use 7-1/4 deep coffers. Well Fred, you just helped me with one issue......depth of coffers......7-1/4" it is.

Thanks....
post #1074 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mock up time.........voice your opinion.......which do you like

1 X 8, then 3-1/4 OG base, 4-1/4 crown with double up, then 3-1/4 OG base on ceiling

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rendor (2).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	149570  

Last edited by doublewing11; 07-05-2014 at 06:23 PM.
post #1075 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

# 2

1 X 8 , then 4-1/4" crown double down, then 3-1/4 OG base on ceiling.....could reveal more on ceiling trim.

Which of two do you like?

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	114
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	149562  
post #1076 of 1812 Old 07-05-2014, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
But if that's not your thing I'd do something with geometry ... Diamond's or circles or ovals could be cool.

The Gray/Green fabric is fine when all lights are off.............room is a black hole, but I agree with you, black would be best........but to be honest, don't think I'd use the room for any other purpose other than movies. The room is used by my wife with her bible study group...........I have Partnership meetings, and other activites. An all black room........or even ceilings being black would make room like two magnets with North and South poles facing each other............... of course just my opinion.

I like your idea with varying geometry............that would definitely challenge my math skills which I'm ok with.................but to be honest, the Knotty Alder itself really makes the room interesting...............someday, you'll have to see for yourself.
post #1077 of 1812 Old 07-06-2014, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I vote #1 . I like the base under the crown. Makes it more dramatic and I like the less pronounced reveal that it creates.

BT1
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1078 of 1812 Old 07-06-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Which of two do you like?
Well, Both are over the top for my taste, but #1 is more visually balanced, so I'd have to vote for that.
doublewing11 likes this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1079 of 1812 Old 07-06-2014, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post
I vote #1 . I like the base under the crown. Makes it more dramatic and I like the less pronounced reveal that it creates.

BT1

You did know this decision was battle of the sexes? One my wife favors, other I prefer.

Reveals can be any depth I want up to 3 inches.......I just quickly nailed to get idea. Thanks, your input helps.......

BTW, you convinced me to pin nail and glue crown....
post #1080 of 1812 Old 07-06-2014, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Well, Both are over the top for my taste, but #1 is more visually balanced, so I'd have to vote for that.
You sound like me............

Sometimes my personality makes me over the top..... my sarcasm, different sense of humor which I blame on my British mum.......but my decorative tastes and eating habits are blah.........who in their right mind could eat nothing but steak and vanilla ice cream and survive? Well.....I have!

Thanks Night........ Two votes for #1 ......
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page