The Coffin Build - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1857 Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Yes for most people it is time well spent which is why I added that last bit in there.

In my case I have 3 boys under 2 years old so it is not possible for me to spend that kind of time in the theater and leave my wife on her own. And I have still ended up spending many hundreds of hours on this project in total after you count research, ordering materials, trips to the hardware store, the actual labor itself and just sitting there noodling out a problem.

I am sure for those folks who don't have my extreme situation it is a great sense of accomishment to know that they have "100 percented it". Heck I will be proud enough just knowing that I did around 25 percent of the labor myself. I have been involved with the rest of the 75 percent too but I have had help. Realistically I don't have the carpentry skills to do it all myself but I have learned a lot through this process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1857 Old 07-19-2013, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 325
New milestone..............

The Sony VPL-VW 1000ES has finally been installed....................

Took some time to have a friend of mine build and create a box to hid the power bridge and 2'' PVC pipe for connects.

I had the projector delivered the first of May, and today was the first time I gazed in the box. This projector is HUGE!!!!

Will follow with comments on my opinions of the projector...........I'm at 16.5 ft throw on a 140" wide 2.37 screen......hoping I have enough light.

post #93 of 1857 Old 07-20-2013, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 164
That's one heck of a PJ. Congrats. smile.gif

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #94 of 1857 Old 07-20-2013, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The lens on that thing looks E-normous! I'm anxious to hear your opinions on the brightness. Keep us updated.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #95 of 1857 Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, at 16.5 ft throw with low lamp on a 140" wide 2.37 screen......the picture is plenty bright. I was really concerned about going to a 12 ft screen that has 0.8 gain ie. Enlightor 4K, but Mike at AVS made the right call..........I'm happy I listened to him. At 12.5 ft from the screen I'm loving it!

Currently watching the "Hobbit" and am amazed at black levels and the overall picture quality. My wife even commented on how amazing the picture was. She wasn't' too happy with me when I told her the price of the 1000. She has only seen the Sony 50 and thought that was an amazing picture and stated to me that should be good enough......,..well, she is eating crow as she just stated to me, "Now I understand what you were talking about,,....that's an incredible picture."

"Thanks Dear"
biggrin.gif

I came real, real close to purchasing a Runco LS-10i......a brighter projector but doesn't throw a picture quite like the 1000.
post #96 of 1857 Old 07-20-2013, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Great theater! Nothing like my lowly basement build, but hey, gotta start somewhere right? And the way I figure it, being only 21, I have plenty of time to make mistakes and end up with something like yours down the road!smile.gif
post #97 of 1857 Old 07-21-2013, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slansing View Post

Great theater! Nothing like my lowly basement build, but hey, gotta start somewhere right? And the way I figure it, being only 21, I have plenty of time to make mistakes and end up with something like yours down the road!smile.gif

Thanks for your comments......

You are way ahead of the game. It took me three different builds to get this one right. I bet you'll have a much better theater than mine when you reach my age! wink.gif

I could have really used this room many, many years ago when I was coaching football........biggrin.gif
post #98 of 1857 Old 07-21-2013, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still have to tweak............but came real close to eliminating black bars on perimeter just using mount adjustments and zoom- no lens shift. I'm really impressed with black levels of this projector...............and the brightness!!!

I left my soffit rope lights on so I could read instructions for projector...............once the rope lights were off.......BLACK HOLE!

After viewing the projector in action, I've come to the conclusion painting everything black is not a necessity. I've used Ralph Lauren Suede paint on ceiling and soffit which is a dark/bronze grey......along with a gray/green fabric and dark gray/bronze carpet. When the lights are all off, I see no light reflection what-so-ever.............the screen just sits in a sea of black. When I turn the lights on, the room is quite inviting with wood tones and warm colors. I respectfully disagree that having a room painted in all black is the best way to go...............there are other colors which chosen carefully can give the same results as pure/flat black room.

Swervepf likes this.
post #99 of 1857 Old 07-26-2013, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Zero door seals are finally installed..............still a lot to do before room entertains.

Will not start installing AV gear in the ASX-R rack until Dish sat is installed which is this coming Tuesday..........only router has been installed in rack so far.

I'm finally submitting a few pictures of my double door system and first glimpse of graffic eye.............6 zones which works like a charm.

Still waiting on my sub delivery which has been a long 6 week wait so far.......hoping the wait was worth it. Chairs are coming next week........I broke down and gave into my wife's concerns. She wanted leather........I wanted cloth........my Son broke the tie breaker. We ended up with black leather.........I preferred brown but was out voted.............go figure.

More to follow..............

post #100 of 1857 Old 07-30-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Received cables yesterday..........and as I type, Dish sat is being installed in rack. Early this morning, I trimmed out the speaker boxes which are now ready to be deployed. One xlr cable is hanging for the big boy which will be the source for a JTR S2 for the front stage...........the smaller box below are wires for Triad leveling subs which will be installed in columns.

Waiting to install the S2 before I figure out what do do for the column subs...............I'm leaning toward Triad Cinema Plus subs for my back columns due to having room ie. need 9'' in depth. If I followed design, Triad Bronze subs were spec-ed for the front row columns but am having second thoughts. If all else fails.............Bronze in the front..........Cinema Plus in the back columns. biggrin.gif

I have 4-20 amp circuits which are all 3-wired so if I ever need to double voltage no problemo.............. and one 20 amp Power Bridge circuit. Hopefully, it's enough!!! The 2" pvc pipe holds a 35 foot HDMI cable which showed no signs of signal degradation to the Sony 1000.

As soon as the S2 arrives........it's been 6 weeks since I ordered..............the room will be complete. Expect to have seats in room sometime early next week.

Enclosed are photos before I start in on the rack.............speaker terminals are done.......same with sub connects...............just need Dish to finish and I'll start installing ASX-R rack and equipment. It's been tough having a theater with video only!!!

Picture of thermostat and fan....................thermostat is set at 85 degrees which will regulate fan and open up make-up air damper near garage.

post #101 of 1857 Old 07-30-2013, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Very very nice progress! love your PJ! When is the S2 coming and what is the distance between the double doors?
thanks!
Vik
post #102 of 1857 Old 07-30-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Very very nice progress! love your PJ! When is the S2 coming and what is the distance between the double doors?
thanks!
Vik

Thanks for posting............and thanks for your signature info............you have a beautiful theater yourself!!

On the first note, I've been waiting for 6 weeks now.......called Jeff yesterday and did not give me a definitive answer.BTW, I would've really liked to use 2 OS's........but wouldn't fit! mad.gif

To answer your last question......there are three doors entering the theater wing.........all with in 5 feet of each other. Sounds like a cramped space, but it is not! I had to fight with my wife to include the bath next to the theater since she did not want a bathroom anywhere near her dining room-privacy issues. I assured her there would be no noise from the 1/2 bath nor the theater room. Double drywall and Green Glue surround the theater foyer/half bath and that settled her concerns. I'm enclosing a few more pictures to help you feel the flow of the room..............kitchen/dining..........to theater foyer/rack room.........go straight to theater...........or go left to the 1/2 bath.

Flow for theater...............kitchen first............

Kitchen/dining to theater entrance...........

Enter the theater foyer, 1/2 bath to the left..........................theater entrance on the right

Or straight through the door turn right and enter the theater...............rack is on the left of theater entrance door. smile.gif

post #103 of 1857 Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Thanks for the detailed info and the compliments, you have a lovely theater and home! . I heard two cap S2 and two OS at Jeff's place and i know you wont be disappointed. Yeah there is always this time period where there is driver shortage and delivery gets delayed not to mention the new and growing demand from UK customers for him. Hope you get it soon though!

Wow I think its cool! if i had a kitchen and half bath connecting to the theater i would probably shack in the theater for days!! biggrin.gif
post #104 of 1857 Old 07-30-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind complements!

Just received an email from Jeff stating he won't receive the drivers for another two weeks! Tack on a week to build and a week to ship.......well, I'm looking at another month!!!

I ordered June 18th......and may not see the sub until September? Not good.......
post #105 of 1857 Old 07-30-2013, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I understand your frustration. We all want instant gratification. And now that you are at the end of your build it has to be killing you. I have no doubt that when it arrives you will be absolutely blown away and have zero regrets even though it could delay your opening night.
post #106 of 1857 Old 07-30-2013, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

I understand your frustration. We all want instant gratification. And now that you are at the end of your build it has to be killing you. I have no doubt that when it arrives you will be absolutely blown away and have zero regrets even though it could delay your opening night.

"Patience is the greatest virtue", so I was told by me mum and nanny......both were British nationals.smile.gif

Problem is, I've been so methodical in my planning and timelines with this build.......not to mention my personality is more along the lines of a task master..........well, I have a hard time with not meeting dead lines. Blame it on my business experience.............

Well........premiere may occur sometime in September! biggrin.gif
post #107 of 1857 Old 08-01-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

In the process of wiring the rack...............I have to wait for a shelf and faceplate for one of my amps.......so in the mean time I'm looking for recommendations on a IR blaster for Dish sat and various other items.

I have no idea and haven't researched figuring the 2" PVC tube would accommodate any blaster needed. Can anybody recommend 40ft extenders and receivers?

Thanks............
post #108 of 1857 Old 08-01-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I would recommend an IR distribution amp, with individual stick-on emitters for each unit you are controlling. I find it to be more reliable than one blaster for everything. I have used Xantech in my last theatre, and was very happy with it. You'll need an IR sensor to receive the IR from your remote, as well.
post #109 of 1857 Old 08-02-2013, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

I would recommend an IR distribution amp, with individual stick-on emitters for each unit you are controlling. I find it to be more reliable than one blaster for everything. I have used Xantech in my last theatre, and was very happy with it. You'll need an IR sensor to receive the IR from your remote, as well.

Thanks...........

I've been down the Crestron road before and I wont take that wrong turn again.............tough to find a good integrator in my area. Thought about Control 4 for one second..........and was reminded of my Crestron experiences. Figured I need a one room solution that was DIY since if there are issues I could find and fix myself immediately.

Since all av equipment will have rack shelves and faceplates.............wont the IR stick-on emitters get in the way? I'm hoping for a clean look rather than sticking on wired infrared emitters on the face of each individual piece of equipment. I'm used to having an eye view to equipment with a wand........this time all the equipment will be outside behind closed doors.................
post #110 of 1857 Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Progress is slooooooooowww...........

Working on installing equipment for the last two days. Seems my feverish pitch in building has come to a crawl in the room. I must admit, I started the rack three weeks ago and took it apart due to 1) I hated my silver Krell S-1500 in the rack! 2) I didn't like how I organized my rack and went back to the drawing board 3) Figured how difficult it would be for Centurylink and Dish to install wiring for internet and sat........besides, didn't want them to scratch up any equipment! 4) Anyone who attempts to install 160lb Evo 403 in a movable rack alone is an IDIOT!! Call me stupid..........biggrin.gif

I've settled on an organization plan for rack.............finally received an amp to replace the Krell.......have all cables................still waiting on my A-31 shelf and faceplate which is the next piece of equipment to install........

One last item.........(smacking head).............I don't have enough screws for the MA rack! What a stupid oversight!! rolleyes.gif

I really like the advantages of the MA AXS-R rack.......it slides in and out very easily and rotates with little force giving easy access to the rear of the rack for wiring. The only solution I had due to location of the rack and due to limited space was to use the AXS-R. When rotated giving access to the back, there is enough room to pass into the theater allowing for adjustments up front. With limited space in the foyer, not to mention the finish look of having a rack sit in the wall.............I'm happy with the product.

Organized.......disorganization! Oxymoron?biggrin.gif
post #111 of 1857 Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Another hurdle crossed...............

Received my black leather seating today................ordered 11 days ago...............in the theater and installed.

Thanks to Stargate Cinema.........the customer service was exceptional!! When I order via phone, the person taking my order spelled my address wrong. When I received my invoice, I noticed the mistake, called the service department and they corrected the mistake and made sure that I received up to date information on my shipment.

Great follow-up and wonderful customer service..............very nice and knowledgeable folks to deal with.

Funny story, I PM'ed Ken Lerch, asking about specific details on a few chairs I was looking at........................I had already ordered the chairs on a Tuesday, and Ken answered the PM on Saturday. The information he gave me was assuring since I ordered what Ken recommended. He had no idea I had already ordered from Stargate Cinema nor if I had intentions to. He was just giving information on the seats I inquired about. In my opinion.........classy move!

The seats were well packed, easy to put together...........and solid as a rock.........no problems.

I highly recommend Stargate Cinema if you are thinking about theater seating......................................

post #112 of 1857 Old 08-03-2013, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Very nice. Is the favoured seat going to be front and centre?
post #113 of 1857 Old 08-03-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post

Very nice. Is the favoured seat going to be front and centre?

The money seat is front and center! biggrin.gif

I intend to EQ using the Marantz 8801 and use some sort of DSP for the two rows of side surrounds. We will see what may come out of it.........biggrin.gif
Thanks for the post............FYI, I love your spelling! I grew up learning "true" English as my mother was a British National............had a hard time convincing my American elementary teachers the same!!!!
post #114 of 1857 Old 08-03-2013, 10:52 PM
Advanced Member

Funny. I watched too much American television growing up and now I find myself rolling my r's like an American when speaking.

Out of interest, how much did the 3 seater cost?
post #115 of 1857 Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Funny. I watched too much American television growing up and now I find myself rolling my r's like an American when speaking.

Out of interest, how much did the 3 seater cost?

You might like this short story......in 1968, my mother's sister moved to Sydney from "Jolly ole England"......................my mother had a wild hair and decided she wanted to move to Christ Church to be near her sister. My brother and I fought to the end NOT to make the move.................

Funny thing................my mom's sister moved back to England in just 6 short months. In less than a year they had sold their worldly possessions twice! Needless to say, my mom decided against the move.............she had ready lined up a job and had all visas ready! Wow.......I could have been a Kiwi!!!biggrin.gif

My biggest concern was New Zealand had no baseball.............

Check you pm
post #116 of 1857 Old 08-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

How old we're you in '68? England isn't big on baseball either. How did you end up in the US?
post #117 of 1857 Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How old we're you in '68? England isn't big on baseball either. How did you end up in the US?

I was born in San Diego were my father was stationed ...........he was a Navy Pilot.

My Dad met my Mother in England............Duxford actually........she was a hot bird working in a flower shop. biggrin.gif
post #118 of 1857 Old 08-04-2013, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like a cliche movie plot. Lol.
post #119 of 1857 Old 08-05-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sounds like a cliche movie plot. Lol.

Yeah.................my life's been full of drama! biggrin.gif
post #120 of 1857 Old 08-05-2013, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any details on the chairs that you ordered?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread