Gap between crown and 5-1/4 OG base which will be butt up against 1 X 8
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	166137  

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
This theater and thread is a dedication to trees ! I love the pics and step by step progress.

You work on this nearly daily huh ? That's impressive. You know how people are "loganed" ? I think we need a name for the opposite: "doublewinged"
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1233 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Current state of affairs........photo of back soffit face waiting on final design plans. When design is finalized, projector mount cover gets replaced with coffer leg which ties into ceiling cloud. Box has 1 X 6 verticals but will be replaced with 1 X 8's.

Heading out the door as wife and I are going to an Atmos theater in Vancouver, Washington. Quite the trek but wife is actually interested in experiencing reason for all room changes.......she's been very supportive. I'm real curious too if Atmos is really worth all these change of plans.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	166489  

My Build Threads

Last edited by doublewing11; 07-17-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #1234 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
let me know what you think of the ATMOS experience. I've never been to an ATMOS equipped theater, so I've got the upgrade bug and I'm not even sure what the fuss is about!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #1235 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 10:00 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
I'm real curious too if Atmos is really worth all these change of plans.
Yeah, but admit it....would you really stop things at this point if you were just luke warm about Atmos after hearing it in a commercial cinema??

I'm interested to hear your feedback. What's the movie choice for today?
post #1236 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
....would you really stop things at this point if you were just luke warm about Atmos after hearing it in a commercial cinema??
You know how to spot the pioneers...they're the ones with the arrows in their backs...
I'll probably add some cables for the future, but not implement anything related to Atmos in the initial version of my new theater.

post #1237 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post
You know how to spot the pioneers...they're the ones with the arrows in their backs...
I'll probably add some cables for the future, but not implement anything related to Atmos in the initial version of my new theater.
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment because there's no way you're slowing down the Doublewing train!!

I'm also taking a blind leap of faith by installing Atmos right from the start - even without the benefit of ever hearing it in a commercial cinema. I placed my order on Tuesday for four of the new Procella P6iw to be used as Atmos ceiling speakers and have confirmation that I will receive the first production units when they are available in September. Woot! Woot! The Notebook, Glitter and Ishtar will never have sounded so good!
post #1238 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
let me know what you think of the ATMOS experience. I've never been to an ATMOS equipped theater, so I've got the upgrade bug and I'm not even sure what the fuss is about!
Quote:
Yeah, but admit it....would you really stop things at this point if you were just luke warm about Atmos after hearing it in a commercial cinema??

Well.......

Evidently Oregon has an Atmos theater........it's at Omsi Science Museum in Portland. 7:30 PM showing PST so wife isn't happy hanging around thousands of kids until then..........she has her fill during year. Talked to Steve and will disclose latter.

My Build Threads

post #1239 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Guess my first Atmos experience on IMAX screen.....
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	175
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	167177  

My Build Threads

post #1240 of 1801 Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

Got me!

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	178
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	167337  

My Build Threads

post #1241 of 1801 Old 07-18-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

You guys want my honest feedback?

If you're going to experience Atmos for the first time..........make sure the specific movie you plan to watch is worth seeing. GODZILLA was horrible which took away from Atmos experience.

What I found during the first 1/2 hour was I gave up on the movie and concentrated on how the sound was being vectored to me. For the most part there are subtle differences on how sound comes at you...........and during dynamic scenes it felt like an umbrella of sound was over you......it sounded bigger, more spacious, and coming from every direction.

I wish I had experienced what Hopeful Fred described with "Gravity"...........I think a movie with subject matter like that can take full advantage of what Atmos can offer........but with a movie like GODZILLA, Atmos sorta got lost in shuffle.

It was recommended to me to skip Cinetopia at Vancouver Mall and experience Dolby Atmos at OMSI theater which is IMAX configured. Klipsch cinema speakers were used with 7 side surrounds on each side spaced evenly, three rows of 5 ceiling speakers front, center, and rear.........and as Hopeful Fred suggested, I sat smack dab in the very middle of theater so I had the money seat.

Now I must admit, I was told before hand while not all movies are Dolby Atmos enabled and some are good.......bad.....and in different, GODZILLA fell in the latter category. Oh, well.........

While my experience with Atmos was lukewarm.........I suspect subject material was major issue, I do see how now directors, producers, and sound engineers have a new tool at hand which can add to movie experience. Last night's experience wasn't earth shattering nor created a gotta have mentalitity.........but it did show me I prefer watching a movie in my own theater.........more comfortable, and sounds better!

It is what it is...........

My Build Threads

post #1242 of 1801 Old 07-18-2014, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It was a tongue-in-cheek comment because there's no way you're slowing down the Doublewing train!!

I'm also taking a blind leap of faith by installing Atmos right from the start - even without the benefit of ever hearing it in a commercial cinema.
Not stopping Doublewing in football might be a true statement...........but building an Atmos enabled home theater might be different story.

My goal is to get this ceiling cloud built and be able to allow for 6 in ceiling speakers with design. I had a nice conversation with Steve Colburn from Triad and will disclose findings when dust settles.

My Build Threads

post #1243 of 1801 Old 07-18-2014, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Interesting commentary. I didn't think about it when you mentioned your movie selection, but I can see how Godzilla might be an ATMOS letdown. That movie is sort of the anti-Transformers in my opinion. If you're after character development and a (sorta) plot with a side of Big explosions, then Godzilla is the way to go. If you want action packed with, well, everything else secondary, then Transformers is the way to go. I would think something like ATMOS is going to be well suited to more action focused movies. Gravity is the exception where the movie is almost tailored for ATMOS because of the environment. I really wish I'd had a chance to see that movie in ATMOS.

Keep us updated on the ATMOS findings!

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #1244 of 1801 Old 07-18-2014, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Interesting commentary. I didn't think about it when you mentioned your movie selection, but I can see how Godzilla might be an ATMOS letdown. That movie is sort of the anti-Transformers in my opinion. If you're after character development and a (sorta) plot with a side of Big explosions, then Godzilla is the way to go. If you want action packed with, well, everything else secondary, then Transformers is the way to go. I would think something like ATMOS is going to be well suited to more action focused movies. Gravity is the exception where the movie is almost tailored for ATMOS because of the environment. I really wish I'd had a chance to see that movie in ATMOS.

Keep us updated on the ATMOS findings!
Evidently, Dolby has focused on cinemas, studio and monitoring facilities, and is now moving toward consumer home market. The last element which Dolby HASN'T addressed suitably is niche market of dedicated home theater which is quite minute'.

Evidently, according to Dolby, placement of front ceiling speakers is most critical along with timbre matching ceiling speakers..........guess eq will be critical with timbre matching system with pans. I'm looking at more than $6,000 in speakers alone to implement not to mention changing out amps, getting new processor and eq. Price tag is moving way North!

Currently, I have a Krell Evo 403 and S-1507 amps sitting idle.......hate to add Halo A-31 and ATI 1807 to list if I have to use QSC variants for eq. Lots to ponder.....

My Build Threads

Last edited by doublewing11; 07-18-2014 at 09:51 AM.
post #1245 of 1801 Old 07-18-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a more positive note, I have channel finder that works like a charm! Found channels with easy.......locating center of each channel was a breeze!

Today, I'll map out a grid and locate all channels and will use 3" fine thread screws to attach nailer plate for ceiling cloud coffer. I should be screwing plates to ceiling in a couple of days. Going to Portland yesterday, decided to stop by HD in Tigard who had Zircon 40 metal detectors in store. Picked one up and works perfectly!

Here it is:

I ordered a magnet stud finder too that KNKKNKk recommended and will compare performance when arrives from Amazon.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	181
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	168217  

My Build Threads

Last edited by doublewing11; 07-18-2014 at 01:29 PM.
post #1246 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This morning got up early and decided to finish up cove moulding to hide fabric track. Here is finished product:

My wife really liked cove so much she said why not frame your columns too so it would look like picture framing. What do you guys think about my wife' idea?

Not much of an expense....I believe the 70 LF for Knotty Alder 3/4 cove cost me $30!

To make Mfusick happy, I played around with my Sony tablet and here is my first attempt at panaramic photography!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0031.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	170306   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0032.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	170314   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0030.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	170322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	170330   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0033.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	170338  

Bigham16 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #1247 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

It's the first underwater theatre! LOL.

Frame the columns. It looks great.

Jonny 5

Last edited by Jonny5nz; 07-19-2014 at 01:53 PM.
post #1248 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Looking good. I think your Wife is right, and you have nothing else to do anyways until Atmos works itself out!

BT1
post #1249 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny5nz View Post
It's the first underwater theatre! LOL.

Frame the columns. It looks great.
Yeah, there's so many waves, one could break out a surf board and go tubular!

Guess I do't have a steady hand........

My Build Threads

post #1250 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post
Looking good. I think your Wife is right, and you have nothing else to do anyways until Atmos works itself out!

BT1
Thanks......

Didn't even cross my mind to use cove to hide black fabric channels. First suggestion my wife has given which you guys like. I'll go ahead and order 107 LF of more cove........like you said, I have nothing to do unit Triad identifies where front ceiling heights should be located.

BTW, can't thank you enough on pin nailer suggestion. I'm loving my HF cheap pin nailer and am going to for sure buy another that'll shoot longer pins.

My Build Threads

post #1251 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Time to pick ceiling cloud fabric.........

Currently have 9 yards of GOM Meander in color Boulder which currently is on walls. Plenty of fabric to cover planned ceiling cloud.

I am thinking about using a different fabric on ceiling and need opinions........I'm open to suggestions since current colors in room are gray/green, gray/bronze which is ceiling colors, acoustic fabric and carpet.......in other words, shades of gray and black.

Here's what I'm looking at for fabric on ceiling:

current fabric Meander in color Boulder

Anchorage in Onyx which I use for screen wall.

701 Black

Color would be obsidian for zirconia...........

My Build Threads

Last edited by doublewing11; 07-19-2014 at 05:30 PM.
post #1252 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks......

Didn't even cross my mind to use cove to hide black fabric channels. First suggestion my wife has given which you guys like. I'll go ahead and order 107 LF of more cove........like you said, I have nothing to do unit Triad identifies where front ceiling heights should be located.

BTW, can't thank you enough on pin nailer suggestion. I'm loving my HF cheap pin nailer and am going to for sure buy another that'll shoot longer pins.

Glad it worked. I hardly ever break out any other nailers. If you want to buy the last one you will ever buy, Grex makes a really good one and you can buy their pin nails from amazon.

I close on my house next Friday, so thread will be started soon!

BT1
post #1253 of 1801 Old 07-19-2014, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Glad it worked. I hardly ever break out any other nailers. If you want to buy the last one you will ever buy, Grex makes a really good one and you can buy their pin nails from amazon.

I close on my house next Friday, so thread will be started soon!

BT1
Great! Guess I'll soon have another subscription/build to follow.......

How big is the proposed room for theater? I suspect you will sound isolate? In grand scheme of things......sound proofing isn't a money pit, it's just a lot of work!

My Build Threads

post #1254 of 1801 Old 07-20-2014, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Great! Guess I'll soon have another subscription/build to follow.......

How big is the proposed room for theater? I suspect you will sound isolate? In grand scheme of things......sound proofing isn't a money pit, it's just a lot of work!

The location in the basement I have scoped out has three concrete foundation walls and would allow for about 22' x 15'.

Sound isolation is a must. Currently I have more of a media room in an open basement and between footfall noise and all of the subwoofers, I don't think anyone enjoys when I watch a movie and everyone is home (3 kids)! Also, I usually can't watch anything rated R because my little girls still like to play Barbies in the basement!

I will more than likely hire someone to help advise me in the design. Although, with three solid foundation walls, I am thinking I can put isolation clips on the ceiling with channels, double drywall, green glue and r-19 in the joist space and extend it to the foundation walls and sound caulk the sides and be pretty far down the road.

I don't want to get bogged down in analysis though, so I would rather hire someone that knows and can tell me what to do!

Brian

BT1
post #1255 of 1801 Old 07-20-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The location in the basement I have scoped out has three concrete foundation walls and would allow for about 22' x 15'.

Sound isolation is a must. Currently I have more of a media room in an open basement and between footfall noise and all of the subwoofers, I don't think anyone enjoys when I watch a movie and everyone is home (3 kids)! Also, I usually can't watch anything rated R because my little girls still like to play Barbies in the basement!

I will more than likely hire someone to help advise me in the design. Although, with three solid foundation walls, I am thinking I can put isolation clips on the ceiling with channels, double drywall, green glue and r-19 in the joist space and extend it to the foundation walls and sound caulk the sides and be pretty far down the road.

I don't want to get bogged down in analysis though, so I would rather hire someone that knows and can tell me what to do!

Brian

BT1
Bigmouth has gone to Ohio.........Indiana isn't too much further. In my travels back East and throughout Midwest was amazed how close states are to each other. Out West, distances are soooooo loooong!

22 X 15 will be a nice sized room to work with ...........with three concrete walls sounds like a room within a room framing job. Cheaper and easier to deal with than walls using clips and channels.

My Build Threads

post #1256 of 1801 Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

True! He has been to Indiana as well down in Columbus for a build down there. Don't recall the theater build name but I am sure I have it somewhere!

True regarding proximity...I was born and raised in Las Vegas and lived in Phoenix for 15 years and I seldom just drove anywhere, I always flew! Now we hop in the car all the time and have been to about 12 states in the last 5 years.

We really like Indiana and it is an excellent place to raise a family. With this house, etc. looks like we are firmly cemented here!

BT1
post #1257 of 1801 Old 07-20-2014, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
The panoramic pic is great btw !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1258 of 1801 Old 07-20-2014, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The panoramic pic is great btw !
Didn't get sea sick looking at it?

Still trying to get opinions on fabric.......no takers.

My Build Threads

post #1259 of 1801 Old 07-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Hard to tell on the fabric just looking at it by itself. How is your photoshop skills?

BT1
post #1260 of 1801 Old 07-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Anchorage in Onyx or FR701 in black. I'm not partial to anything but black on the ceiling for video performance reasons. I like the look / finish of the Anchorage better than the FR701, but would be a bit more nervous about wrinkles over time with such large ceiling panels because it is a more delicate crepe material. Obviously your choice, though.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page