The Coffin Build - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1321 of 1801 Old 07-26-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 205
I don't follow. What's the thickness of space allowed for the treatments? It's not much different to fill the allowed space vs. half-fill with air-gap, so the cost savings for less fiber is a reasonable move in those cases. The plastic should be at least 2" from the ceiling - never against it (or the wall).

I think I missed some details in your plan - can you lay it out, inch by inch?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1801 Old 07-26-2014, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Out at ranch's shop getting ready to cut 1/2" AC-U plywood into 7-1/2" strips for inside verts for coffer ceiling cloud.

Since 1 X 8 Knotty Alder is actually 7-1/4" and will be used for outside verticals with 1/8-1/4 reveal with base 1 X 6, these plywood pieces will be flush with base and will add appropriate trim piece to top of plywood to get depth needed for fabric channel.

MOAR wood cutting..........

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1323 of 1801 Old 07-26-2014, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
I don't follow. What's the thickness of space allowed for the treatments? It's not much different to fill the allowed space vs. half-fill with air-gap, so the cost savings for less fiber is a reasonable move in those cases. The plastic should be at least 2" from the ceiling - never against it (or the wall).

I think I missed some details in your plan - can you lay it out, inch by inch?
Sure........I'm hoping to have 8 " depth for ceiling cloud.......we shall see.

Plan for absorption is the following starting from the ceiling:

3-4 inches air gap
2" Owens Corning 703
Spray adhesive
6 mil poly
Spray adhesive
2" Owens Corning 703
Fabric.....

There might be a space between fabric and absorption material but that is of no concern. I will hang treatment with eyelets and wire.

My Build Threads

post #1324 of 1801 Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Good. Thanks for clarifying. I approve (not that my approval is terribly meaningful, but that's what I hoped you were planning).
doublewing11 likes this.

post #1325 of 1801 Old 07-26-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Moar!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moar-Angry-Baby-demotivational.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	181706  
HopefulFred and doublewing11 like this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1326 of 1801 Old 07-26-2014, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Moar!

MOAR Cutting done!!!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	279.7 KB
ID:	181834  
JRock3x8 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #1327 of 1801 Old 07-26-2014, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
Good. Thanks for clarifying. I approve (not that my approval is terribly meaningful, but that's what I hoped you were planning).
Thanks Fred for the help........this build is moving fast so I don't want to make a mistake.

My Build Threads

post #1328 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Did your theater design call for acoustic treatments on the ceiling?
post #1329 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Did your theater design call for acoustic treatments on the ceiling?
No.....

Actually, when I called Gary Lemay at Quest, he thought too much of the expensive Perfsorber was spec'd and felt I could get away with less but just went with Erskine Group plan as is................I'll just leave it at that.

When Roger Dressler came over he detected two major issues which one has not been addressed yet and will soon be tackled.

First issue earlier noted in thread was 300 Hz problem from front and immediately I knew what the problem was. In haste getting room ready for tour, I didn't line facade screen wall ceiling with poly sandwiched between layers of Linacoustic RC. Since then, have fixed issue but still exists slightly........most likely 1st reflection issue from mains is my best guess.

Second issue noticed was infamous 60 Hz buzz coming from my 6 surrounds which is related to Graffikeye. Lights on, buzz.......lights off, no buzz. When I change out to Krell amp which has balanced connects, no issue. ATI 1807 which has RCA connects is issue. I'll be addressing this issue when I have electrician the whole day and find origin of loop problem along with troubleshooting dimmer issue with noise.

I thought about contacting Nyal........may still.........but if I was told to completely change my treatment plan once implemented......I wont be a happy camper. What I don't know can't hurt me..................besides, I have alternatives to problem solve.

Room sounds great to my ears........and there's always room to improve. Jeff Meyer will be coming in June of next year.......hopefully, I'll have new processor, eq, and speakers ready.

My Build Threads

post #1330 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Have you measure your room or room gain yet for bass ?

If you can measure there is a fairly simple way to measure your rooms gain. ( transfer function ) You need a sealed sub and the ability to EQ it flat. You do this outside. As in measure and EQ it outside in big open area. You don't have to be loud either; What you need to be is louder than the rooms basic noise level. Fairly easy. Then just play the same signal inside and measure the difference. If you are using REW it will be fairly easy to see the difference using a multiple response curve graph. Give you an idea of how your room performs. I was originally going to ask Fred this in his thread, but your thread lives near the top of the forum more often (kudos for that and progress!)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program: MOAR CUTTING!

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1331 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Major issue!

No room in garage..........three bays.......no room!

All Knotty Alder has four coats of satin lacquer and has sat for a couple of days. Tomorrow MOAR cutting since trim finally is ready for last stage of build.

I'm really beating myself up on how to install.......thought I would build each side of cloud on ground and hoist up glue and nail. My concern is, my wife is only helper and she is not a very big/strong person........tough, yes since she was raised on ranch.......but heavy beams overhead might be an issue. If my Son was available he could help..........I'd love to have that 6' 4" 230 chiseled guy around but he has grad school to attend too.

I'll be building rear leg for projector and rear beam today after church........
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0072.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	182434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0071.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	182442   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0070.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	182450  

My Build Threads

post #1332 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Have you measure your room or room gain yet for bass ?

If you can measure there is a fairly simple way to measure your rooms gain. ( transfer function ) You need a sealed sub and the ability to EQ it flat. You do this outside. As in measure and EQ it outside in big open area. You don't have to be loud either; What you need to be is louder than the rooms basic noise level. Fairly easy. Then just play the same signal inside and measure the difference. If you are using REW it will be fairly easy to see the difference using a multiple response curve graph. Give you an idea of how your room performs. I was originally going to ask Fred this in his thread, but your thread lives near the top of the forum more often (kudos for that and progress!)

Now back to our regularly scheduled program: MOAR CUTTING!
No I haven't........

With room length probably not as much as I would hope for. In modeling with Winsd and comparing with my real world measurements in REW, I'm fairly close with exception of low end frequencies which are 4-5 db's greater in SPL real world compared to model............amazing what eq does. 4300cf isn't small.........

When I change out processors, eq and possible amps.......could easily be done then.

Back to:

MOAR CHURCH, then cutting!

JRock3x8 likes this.

My Build Threads

post #1333 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 41
i love the aggro tone of this build all of a sudden.
doublewing11 likes this.

post #1334 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
i love the aggro tone of this build all of a sudden.
Boy, I haven't heard the word "aggro" since I was a little nipper!

Yeah, these blokes are quite barmy to say the least......seems a few of them have been on a bender per say. It's not like we're going to bite our arms off, rather a few of us are buggered and blasted how quickly this project has come together.

Won't bodge this blooming project since I'm not blinkered as I've had help from me mates chin wagging.........sure made this project a doodle!

I'm one who will not fanny around......definitely going full Monty on this project!

Still have to give Roger Dressler the bell........but have been knackered by my own accord.

British and Americans............we're separated by more than an Atlantic Ocean........do we really have a common language?

My Build Threads

post #1335 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Constructing one leg which attaches to ceiling cloud. Because I have to have access to compartment, I'm building a a simple drop down door which will be screwed from bottom so four screws will be seen. I pondered many ways to build this but I want to be able to have leverage when pulling cables/wires so access panel on bottom. Some may cringe due to being able to see outline of door but my decision to build this way has benefits.

My trade off is simple, no cutting into ceiling for speaker wires........I will be using projector conduit and pull three 4 conductor in-wall 12 AWG wire since I'll have access to ceiling cloud via projector box........obviously conduit for projector goes to rack.

So far in 2-1/2" electrical conduit, I have two HDMI , Cat 6, and now three speaker cables........tube is getting busy!!!!!!!!

Here are pictures of leg construction..........there are three pieces.......longest piece will be trap door not nailed to vertical 1 X 8's. It will be screwed in 1 X 2 blocking inside of leg because of two things........need a stop to set piece flush with other parts of leg, second if screw holes become stripped out or won't hold access door then I can replace with no problems. Will use the smallest black or antique bronze screws I can find ie #6 or less.

Currently waiting for stain to set, Will put a layer of polyurethane on 2-1/8" keyhole and edges of all pieces.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0075.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	155.7 KB
ID:	182858   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0077.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	182866   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0078.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	182874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0079.jpg
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	182882   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0080.jpg
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	182890  

My Build Threads

post #1336 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Done for the day..........boy, am I tuckered out! Getting up at 5 AM is taking it's toll.....

Here is what I accomplished to day............have projector leg built and is hung. Leg will serve as a chase for speaker wire for ceiling speakers.

Goal was to finish rear soffit and finish transition to leg......but fell short due to saw problems. Getting tired of saw getting out of square after thirty or so cuts!!
So I returned the darn thing.....

Have finally figured out what I'm going to do with two different crown levels.......will document with photos.

Speaking of photos.......here are a few on today's progress. Still missing three trim pieces but at least leg frame is done!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0082.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	183194   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0084.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	183202   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0085.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	183210   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0086.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	183218   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0088.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	183226  

Name:	DSC_0090.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	183234   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0092.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	183242  

My Build Threads

post #1337 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
How do you apply your stain/lacquer? Do you do it by hand or spray it? Looks good either way but hoping you do it by hand so I don't have to buy a sprayer
post #1338 of 1801 Old 07-27-2014, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

How could I forget grand finale'......

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0093.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	183514  

My Build Threads

post #1339 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

New day, new chop saw.............was tired having to re-calibrate saw and having safety guard constantly fall off. In addition, all purpose blade wasn't cutting it..........picked up 90 toothed carbide blade and makes a whole
lot of difference. I need someone to smack me across my head..........willing to pay big bucks for premium wood but too cheap on where it really counts.....a good blade.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0094.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	183818  

My Build Threads

post #1340 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
New day, new chop saw.............was tired having to re-calibrate saw and having safety guard constantly fall off. In addition, all purpose blade wasn't cutting it..........picked up 90 toothed carbide blade and makes a whole
lot of difference. I need someone to smack me across my head..........willing to pay big bucks for premium wood but too cheap on where it really counts.....a good blade.

Bravo!

is that one of those Home Depot Diablo blades. I like them. They work great, I have on on the full size and table top table saw, and I just grabbed one for the chop saw too. Quiter, and buttery smooth cuts (until you cut 50 sheets of MDF then they are toast)

Is that a new chop saw too? Again ?

-

post #1341 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Bravo!

is that one of those Home Depot Diablo blades. I like them. They work great, I have on on the full size and table top table saw, and I just grabbed one for the chop saw too. Quiter, and buttery smooth cuts (until you cut 50 sheets of MDF then they are toast)

Is that a new chop saw too? Again ?
Yup, New saw...........I was going to get a Dewalt but didn't have model in stock I wanted. Just decided to exchange since stock was on hand. Diablo blade is cutting like a Sharp Wusthof knife!!!

My Build Threads

post #1342 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

What did you go exchange the RYOBI saw you bought for an upgrade? What did you get?

-

post #1343 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What did you go exchange the RYOBI saw you bought for an upgrade? What did you get?
Exchanged for same saw........I was in a hurry to get back and meet my goal but was too rummy and called it a day.

Trying to finish up back so I can hang projector up.............my wife wants to watch the bachelorette tonight.

My Build Threads

post #1344 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Believe I've worked out a solution for transition for two crown levels.

Here is start of that transition.......5-1/4 OG base to 3-1/4 OG base. Strange that profile would be different between these pieces.......didn't make my life easy anyhow.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0096.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	184298  

My Build Threads

post #1345 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 01:24 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Trying to finish up back so I can hang projector up.............my wife wants to watch the bachelorette tonight.
UGH! What a waste of precious bulb hours....

The things we do for our better half!
post #1346 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Isn't that why they invented the economy mode?

Under construction:
post #1347 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 01:44 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Isn't that why they invented the economy mode?
No, that' why they invented the 'OFF' button!
post #1348 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Exchanged for same saw........I was in a hurry to get back and meet my goal but was too rummy and called it a day.

Lol. I thought I was the only one that broke tools withing the return policy. Harbor freight knows my by first name, but all their crap breaks lol.

-

post #1349 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'd do anything for my better half........after 28 years she still is the HOTTEST woman alive!

She has great Norwegian genes!

My Build Threads

post #1350 of 1801 Old 07-28-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No, that' why they invented the 'OFF' button!
The worst part of it all..........I have to record the episode for my big, strapping son so he can watch with his girl friend!

Where's the finger in mouth emoticon?

My Build Threads

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page