The Coffin Build - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-06-2014, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Happy birthday Cory! Looks like you had a good one!
Mfusick likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2014, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Happy birthday Cory! Looks like you had a good one!
Thanks.....

But my birthday is tomorrow......

Just picking tons of free peaches which equates to tons of peach pie in the next few weeks! Sweet!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 1202
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Thanks.....

Just picking tons of free peaches which equates to tons of peach pie in the next few weeks! Sweet!

Well happy early birthday then!...lol
doublewing11 likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Thanks.....

happy birthday!
doublewing11 likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Happy Birthday!
doublewing11 likes this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
Old 08-07-2014, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
+1

happy birthday! Nothing like being 28....... Again
doublewing11 likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Old 08-07-2014, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Tomorrow Wife is going to make me a peach pie and I've been given duties making homemade ice cream. Add bar-e-que beef ribs, homemade potato salad......I'll be in heaven!!!!
Doublewing responding to AVS posts, Circa September 2014...

Happy birthday man!
doublewing11 likes this.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 1018
Happy Birthday !
doublewing11 likes this.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-07-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Well happy early birthday then!...lol
You're saying happy birthday twice so you can have peach pie!

Thanks JB,

Sounds like your GTG went well......too bad I didn't bring the Golds........would have been the pinnacle of your speaker listening!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
happy birthday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Happy Birthday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
Happy Birthday !
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Happy birthday man!
Thanks Guys!

But I'm not telling my age!

Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
+1

happy birthday! Nothing like being 28....... Again

I WISH!

Thanks JPA...........you just reminded me of my Daughter! She turns 27 today too........yup, the GREATEST gift besides my wife, my oldest was born on my birthday........what a gift from God 27 years ago! She is soooooo smart, beautiful, and soooooooo independent! She looks so much like her mother.........thank GOD!

There's an inside joke in our family my birthdays stopped 27 years ago so you aren't too far off.

Get to Skype and talk to Daughter is my best gift for the day........she's in Ireland celebrating her birthday with a friend.

Just another day of being 27.........
Old 08-07-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok guys........

About to give Fabricmate a call asap.....

Sensa is a thinner version of Anchorage........since I used Anchorage for screen wall, then makes perfect sense to use material that is much better acoustically but still maintains same look.

In another thread I started asking about material, someone said it was too transparent and can see objects behind material which perked my concern. Since bays covered my material will be flat black, I wonder how much of a realistic issue it will be.

Here is another light test......

Anchorage is easily identifiable........not so much between Sensa and 701.

Any last minute concerns or suggestions before I order material?

Thanks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0202.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	200977  
Old 08-07-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you just lay the Sensa sample on a piece of insulation and see if you can see through it? I'll be interested in hearing your results. I was not aware of the Sensa fabrics, but I'll need to take a look at them. We haven't been able to find that perfect color in either Anchorage or 701, so maybe this will give us another option.
Mfusick likes this.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm looking for a color like this:

But I have a question, for my side walls (not over speakers) does it matter how AT the material is ?

One of the ideas I had was playing with contrasting colors of RED/BROWN stained wood vs BLUE/PURPLE fabric accented with Black

But I've never seen it done before so I wonder if it would look good in person or not ? Also, I've never seen fabric like that either.

Another option I had was black fabric, but I worry it would look bad or be too dark. Another options was black, and different shades of grey. I for sure do not want to do RED fabric or paint at all, but I like RED and darker RED specifically... stained wood. I'm looking for a bold color yet dark enough to light control that would contrast or go well with RED or BROWN stained wood. Ideas? Ever seen fabric like that?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	120
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	201001   Click image for larger version

Name:	wood color choices.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	201025  

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
Old 08-07-2014, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can you just lay the Sensa sample on a piece of insulation and see if you can see through it? I'll be interested in hearing your results. I was not aware of the Sensa fabrics, but I'll need to take a look at them. We haven't been able to find that perfect color in either Anchorage or 701, so maybe this will give us another option.
Best I can do is place Sensa in front of leg portal and you can see for yourself. I used R-13 for coffer legs but threw away leftovers......hate insulation and don't want it lying around.

Your wish is my command.......and I've added a quasi-political statement.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0203.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	201065   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0206.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	201073   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0208.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	201081   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0209.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	201089  
Old 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ With the 15th around the corner, that photo makes my blood boil!

It's going to be hard to see in a photograph, I think the only suggestion I can offer is to turn the lights up in the room, and put that fabric in front of something with some contrast and see if you can see through it well enough to be a concern. Maybe put half of the sample in front of the screen and the other half over the edge (velvet I assume). That would give you a good idea of just how visible stuff behind it will be. The only thing that might be of concern is the rope light shining directly on it.

One other option would be to use some cheap black fabric over the insulation and diffusors (cut out around the speakers) and then put the Sensa over that. Seems like I saw someone on the boards use a cheap landscaping fabric behind their screen wall for just this sort of thing.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm looking for a color like this:

But I have a question, for my side walls (not over speakers) does it matter how AT the material is ?

One of the ideas I had was playing with contrasting colors of RED/BROWN stained wood vs BLUE/PURPLE fabric accented with Blacky

But I've never seen it done before so I wonder if it would look good in person or not ? Also, I've never seen fabric like that either.

Another option I had was black fabric, but I worry it would look bad or be too dark. Another options was black, and different shades of grey. I for sure do not want to do RED fabric or paint at all, but I like RED and darker RED specifically... stained wood. I'm looking for a bold color yet dark enough to light control that would contrast or go well with RED or BROWN stained wood. Ideas? Ever seen fabric like that?
Yeah, I have..............at a disco-tech in Berlin, Germany.......think Mike Meyer's skit "Sprokets"

Man, that is bold! But coming from you......seems fitting.

Color was a HUGE battle for me.......originally, I wanted greens and browns. With all this black talk here, I justt couldn't go that route, but in end used black as an accent color and gone many shades of gray. Gray-brown carpet, gray-Brown ceiling though more of a bronze, gray-green fabric.

I always figured from beginning wood would emphasize color in room and it has. TMcG said something that hit home.......don't distract from tones of wood which makes perfect sense.

Your stain can bring out any tones you want.....choice wisely by matching wood to stain to hue.

Never thought gray would be final color in room......it was a compromise between black.

If you use stain grade wood, don't you want that to be your focus in room?

You are in for a battle..........color is always the biggest issue since it sets tone in room. Gray is a compromise.........there are other color shades that will work.........even neon blue or purple!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^ With the 15th around the corner, that photo makes my blood boil!

It's going to be hard to see in a photograph, I think the only suggestion I can offer is to turn the lights up in the room, and put that fabric in front of something with some contrast and see if you can see through it well enough to be a concern. Maybe put half of the sample in front of the screen and the other half over the edge (velvet I assume). That would give you a good idea of just how visible stuff behind it will be. The only thing that might be of concern is the rope light shining directly on it.

One other option would be to use some cheap black fabric over the insulation and diffusors (cut out around the speakers) and then put the Sensa over that. Seems like I saw someone on the boards use a cheap landscaping fabric behind their screen wall for just this sort of thing.

Here ya go.......

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0210.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	201161   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0212.jpg
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	201169  
Old 08-07-2014, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yeah, I have..............at a disco-tech in Berlin, Germany.......think Mike Meyer's skit "Sprokets"

Man, that is bold! But coming from you......seems fitting.

Color was a HUGE battle for me.......originally, I wanted greens and browns. With all this black talk here, I justt couldn't go that route, but in end used black as an accent color and gone many shades of gray. Gray-brown carpet, gray-Brown ceiling though more of a bronze, gray-green fabric.

I always figured from beginning wood would emphasize color in room and it has. TMcG said something that hit home.......don't distract from tones of wood which makes perfect sense.

Your stain can bring out any tones you want.....choice wisely by matching wood to stain to hue.

Never thought gray would be final color in room......it was a compromise between black.

If you use stain grade wood, don't you want that to be your focus in room?

You are in for a battle..........color is always the biggest issue since it sets tone in room. Gray is a compromise.........there are other color shades that will work.........even neon blue or purple!
I'm just talking for the fabric panels. I want the room to be bright. I mean way brighter than most theaters. But I also want it to be pitch dark and light controlled when the lights go off.

I DO NOT WANT A DARK THEATER when it should not be dark. I'm also making it an entertainment space, with bar and all that. I'd like to have lights on in the back area and not have it be a black hole. But when the lights dim I want a reasonable amount of light control.

I struggled to find darker colors that were bright at the same time. Ideally I want it bright with the lights on, and dark with them off. Purples and blues seem to make sense. Perhaps not that bright and bold I posted but you get the idea.

The bottom of the walls will be wood, the columns will be wood, the trim will be wood, I'm going to have wood accents with the carpets. The front wall wood will be wood (except black where needed like around screen above it, etc.. ) and my back bar would be wood. This is a big room too... The wood will be there. I like how the navy blue matched up with it actually...

The key is finding the right shade of navy blue or dark blue purple and the right color wood stain finish. I've never seen fabric that color though... at least not in the AT rated variety. That is why I ask for fabric frames on the walls does the AT rating really matter?

-

Old 08-07-2014, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you see a difference in person? I assume we're still trying to decide if you will be able to see your treatments through the fabric, correct?

You might try shining a flashlight on it to simulate your rope lighting and see if it makes a difference with being able to see the screen. After that, the only thing left is to give it a try I guess?

Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

Happy birthday man!

My computer chair?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	you-really-need-a-fat-ass-for-that_o_1714917.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	201201  
Old 08-07-2014, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm just talking for the fabric panels. I want the room to be bright. I mean way brighter than most theaters. But I also want it to be pitch dark and light controlled when the lights go off.

I DO NOT WANT A DARK THEATER when it should not be dark. I'm also making it an entertainment space, with bar and all that. I'd like to have lights on in the back area and not have it be a black hole. But when the lights dim I want a reasonable amount of light control.

I struggled to find darker colors that were bright at the same time. Ideally I want it bright with the lights on, and dark with them off. Purples and blues seem to make sense. Perhaps not that bright and bold I posted but you get the idea.

The bottom of the walls will be wood, the columns will be wood, the trim will be wood, I'm going to have wood accents with the carpets. The front wall wood will be wood (except black where needed like around screen above it, etc.. ) and my back bar would be wood. This is a big room too... The wood will be there. I like how the navy blue matched up with it actually...

The key is finding the right shade of navy blue or dark blue purple and the right color wood stain finish. I've never seen fabric that color though... at least not in the AT rated variety. That is why I ask for fabric frames on the walls does the AT rating really matter?

I understand completely demons you're battling with regard to color. Human psyche' is interesting.........with beer and bright colors, you might have WWF grudge matches occurring on a regular basis in your room. Colors can be templates for mood............I prefer to relax in room hence direction I went. For you, I understand completely wanting something with pizzazz or excitement!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Can you see a difference in person? I assume we're still trying to decide if you will be able to see your treatments through the fabric, correct?

You might try shining a flashlight on it to simulate your rope lighting and see if it makes a difference with being able to see the screen. After that, the only thing left is to give it a try I guess?
Rope light does not shine on fabric directly......only issue would be sconces shinning upwards exposing treatments but everything should be flat black so I don't see an issue......

The screen frame shot is probably the best example of worst case scenario........you can barely make out the outline of screen frame and fabric is lighter due to reflecting light from screen.

In all honesty, 701 from what I can see has similar properties as Sensa.........how many people have used 701 successfully? Lots I bet.........
Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

There you have it! Sounds like we've beaten this horse thoroughly! Now, if only I could take the rest of the day off

Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
My computer chair?

bahahahahaha...

That's awesome.

-

Old 08-07-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I have FR701 in front of Q-FractorPlus panels. With the lights full on you could barely see the vinyl stripes. I took a picture with the room pitch black and a flash and you could clearly see the stripes. I added a layer of the black cloth that I did not use from my SE screen underneath the FR701 and all was good.

I was told that I could paint the panels black which would have worked and not required the use of the extra layer but I had already installed the panels and I did not want to take them out.

So I think if you paint the theater side of your panels black and have black speakers you will be happy with the Sensa material.

And.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1462881/th...ruction-thread

Houston GTG - Summer 2014
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/61-are...l#post26079610
Old 08-07-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avtexan View Post
I have FR701 in front of Q-FractorPlus panels. With the lights full on you could barely see the vinyl stripes. I took a picture with the room pitch black and a flash and you could clearly see the stripes. I added a layer of the black cloth that I did not use from my SE screen underneath the FR701 and all was good.

I was told that I could paint the panels black which would have worked and not required the use of the extra layer but I had already installed the panels and I did not want to take them out.

So I think if you paint the theater side of your panels black and have black speakers you will be happy with the Sensa material.

And.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Thanks!

Either way, I'm going to have to paint rest of each bay black along with treatments. Diffusers I just recently purchased are black....the absorption panels will most definitely be painted flat black.

Going to order Sensa. Thanks for giving me needed info....
Old 08-07-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Placed 701 and Sensa in corners and temporary attached to fabric track.

From 4-5 ft away I can't tell difference. Both are slightly see through and can see blue painters tape through both fabrics. Just means I'll have to paint both trays along with treatments flat black.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0213.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	201505   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0214.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	201513  
Old 08-07-2014, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I DO NOT WANT A DARK THEATER when it should not be dark. That is why I ask for fabric frames on the walls does the AT rating really matter?
Can't have your cake and eat it too! Compromise is in your future.......you can have a dark room when lights are out, but not have it bright when lights are on..........kind of like an oxymoron don't you think?

Absorption rates of fabric differ............to answer your question depends. For the most part, if fabric is AT, then you're 99/100 ok.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Can't have your cake and eat it too! Compromise is in your future.......you can have a dark room when lights are out, but not have it bright when lights are on..........
Of course you can! You just need to think enough outside the box. Rotating wall panels with one light and one dark side is all you need (and perhaps love, according to The Beatles)!

Under construction: the Larch theater

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts