Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 1777 Old 08-09-2014, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Home stretch.......

Pin nailing and gluing rear corners.......down time while glue sets up. Will start in on far right back corner, then it's on to finishing projector leg.

Here JPA......is this what you want?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0228.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	205369   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0230.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	205377  

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1777 Old 08-09-2014, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
…..
Here JPA......is this what you want?

….
Yessir. That give s a little better impression of how everything is going to look. Of course, we already knew it was looking great

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #1533 of 1777 Old 08-09-2014, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Yessir. That give s a little better impression of how everything is going to look. Of course, we already knew it was looking great

Well, all wood working is done.........saw, compressor, table saw are all put away. Just waiting on fabric and acoustic treatments.

JPA, I tried to take pictures that you requested.......I hope this works for you........

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0231.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	205865   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0232.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	205873   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0233.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	205881   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0235.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	205889   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0236.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	205897  

Name:	DSC_0237.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	205905   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0239.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	205913  

My Build Threads

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-09-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #1534 of 1777 Old 08-09-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Looks great, I had missed out on the last 2 weeks as I somehow lost my subscription. I love how the ceiling turned out and can't wait for you to get your treatments up to see how you like them.
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1535 of 1777 Old 08-09-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar View Post
Looks great, I had missed out on the last 2 weeks as I somehow lost my subscription. I love how the ceiling turned out and can't wait for you to get your treatments up to see how you like them.

Thanks........

Two weeks is a long time when I'm working in room 12-15 hours daily.

Hard part is done.......just took me a month.......when treatments get here along with fabric.....then I'll be officially done for time being. Have to figure out if I implement Atmos now or wait for second generation processors hoping for base 7.1 with 6 ceiling input/outputs.

My Build Threads

post #1536 of 1777 Old 08-09-2014, 09:22 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Fantastic work! That retrofit looks like its been there since day one and all the finish carpentry looks really sharp. Not that your room was lacking before, but the ceiling detail really takes the look of the theater to a whole other level. Wish I could see it in person!
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1537 of 1777 Old 08-09-2014, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Fantastic work! That retrofit looks like its been there since day one and all the finish carpentry looks really sharp. Not that your room was lacking before, but the ceiling detail really takes the look of the theater to a whole other level. Wish I could see it in person!
Helps that I had planned for this project the previous Summer............with new home and visiting my daughter in Germany, there was no time.

Well, someday when your business travels take you out West, you'll have to stop by and see for your yourself.

Your more than welcome to stay at our place..........besides, we have the best beef in the country.....all natural, raised at family ranch!

My Build Threads

post #1538 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 04:41 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Meeting a fellow AVS-er, experiencing a top notch theater AND a enjoying a home grown steak dinner? How could I refuse?!!!!
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1539 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
You are a pin nailing son of a beatch!

Wow, a guy takes a little vacation and you go and complete your entire project? Who do you think you are completing a project of that size in that short amount of time?

Color me impressed! The wood on the ceiling adds a certain richness and really heats it up in there. I am sure the pictures do not do it justice. Theaters just don't photograph very well, when they are well done!

Give me a few months and I will be back, building my own room and asking a billion questions!

Bravo! And cheers!
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1540 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btinindy View Post
You are a pin nailing son of a beatch!

Wow, a guy takes a little vacation and you go and complete your entire project? Who do you think you are completing a project of that size in that short amount of time?

Color me impressed! The wood on the ceiling adds a certain richness and really heats it up in there. I am sure the pictures do not do it justice. Theaters just don't photograph very well, when they are well done!

Give me a few months and I will be back, building my own room and asking a billion questions!

Bravo! And cheers!
Thanks for complements!!!

Project is not completely done.......but it's very close. Just wait until I have those six speakers in ceiling......then we can all say it's done!

I'm extremely lucky I designed 10.5 feet for ceiling......originally wanted 12 ft but gable on outside looked too awkward. The front and rear soffits are profile of those two gables ........worked out in end.

I really wanted to use pin nails for that crown used for light trey in cloud but it was too bulky and had to hit it with 16 gauge.

Pin nailer did work like a charm on soffit face crown which is same as cloud crown, but then I had two nailing edges but with cloud crown only one.

Used three Fruitwood pencils......two were for filling nails holes and one for seams. I was shocked, typically I hate crown and sometimes have a hard time with it. Took my time and rather fight with it on a ladder, I just took measurements cut, glued, and pin nailed mittered corners on ground, lifted and nailed into place.....so much easier! What pleases memost, all seams are hard to find......hardly any patching at all!

I agree with you, hard for me to photograph and capture beauty of room. My iPhone takes better pictures so I'll snap a few.....problem is vbulletin only allows me to post one at a time!

I'd be more than happy to help you out when you start building.....I've learned a lot of lessons! There are so many knowledgeable people here on AVS, you're going to receive a lot of sound advise from other than me!

My Build Threads

post #1541 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Maybe I should give up and wait for photographer.......but using a different device to photograph......ie. my iPhone.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	206137  
Maklar and BllDo like this.

My Build Threads

post #1542 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Profile of cloud leg is just short of 12" wide and is 8-1/4 " deep which will allow me more options for ceiling speakers!

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	186
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	206145  

My Build Threads

post #1543 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	186
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	206153  

My Build Threads

post #1544 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Still trying to figure out a better solution for my two rope light transitions. I used 1 X 2 in Knotty Alder and attached clips inside and formed an L 5-1/2" long to cover rope light going from soffit to cloud and then down from cloud to soffit. Sure, I could have electrician wire them separately....but it's just not worth it IMHO.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	184
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	206161  

My Build Threads

post #1545 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	184
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	206169  

My Build Threads

post #1546 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, last year I had hoped to have coffered ceiling done before the home show, but my beautiful wife sent me on a tangent which took the greater part of 4 weeks to complete. I might remind you, I was working full time, working part time for Family Partnership, trying to finish my theater room, and my wife wanted me to do master bath!

This is what cost me last year to completely finish my theater room!

Travertine tile, glass accents, and heated floors in entire room including shower! You can imagine how busy I was and didn't post during construction of theater..........

Just looking for sympathy.......or a violin concerto!

Yup, I did all the work once again by myself.........bathroom was a lot harder than theater room.....especially on the back!
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	181
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	206257  
avtexan likes this.

My Build Threads

post #1547 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	176
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	206265  

My Build Threads

post #1548 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
……..
JPA, I tried to take pictures that you requested.......I hope this works for you........
…...
Room looks great….. except for the hat

I like all the pictures. I just thought a big picture shot was in order as well, and you came through spectacularly! Room looks great!
doublewing11 likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #1549 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Room looks great….. except for the hat

I like all the pictures. I just thought a big picture shot was in order as well, and you came through spectacularly! Room looks great!
That hat is precious! It's a symbol of hope..........though Sark wasn't my first choice, much better hire than Kid Kiffin! Our program needs to be at the top........but must admit several years/recruiting classes away. Wished Sark could have kept Ed around......I'd feel more confident. Last year Neuter Dame and UCLA bRUINs beating us in the same year is just darn right unacceptable.......that better change quickly!

Just getting excited this time of year........nothing at my household gets done from August through December.............I wonder why?

My Build Threads

post #1550 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Bathroom looks great too! Have you even done something like that before such as tile or stone work and plumbing?
doublewing11 likes this.
post #1551 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post
Bathroom looks great too! Have you even done something like that before such as tile or stone work and plumbing?
I've built three homes.....one by myself, one with some help......and this one built last year which I only dealt with theater room and master bath.........I'm getting up there in age but can still out work young whipper snappers!

In master, I was only responsible for tile work since most guys do crap work......time is money!

My wife asked me to do it and I agreed with several conditions.....I will not design, pick colors or anything because I didn't have time. She ordered all the stone, accents, coves and bench. She actually did a great job planning and saved me some headaches. She wanted everything done her way and I have a feeling she likes ordering me around!

It was nice having a GC other than me....giving me freedom to do what I wanted in home......most are worried about liability, but then again I designed home, had plans made up which actually made his job easier.

I really enjoy planning/building and it has helped with not having a mortgage........sweat equity has paid off BIG TIME the last 30 years!

Edit: Oops, I forgot about my wife having a hissy fit about HVAC being routed through her sewing room closet upstairs due to my theater requirements! That was a major conflict which I had to tear out framing and rebuild to her needs.......that was two weeks of my valuable theater building time!

So.....theater, master bath, and re-framing my wife' sewing room closet! lol like it really matters!
edogyip likes this.

My Build Threads

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-10-2014 at 04:46 PM.
post #1552 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
excellent work! Very impressive.
doublewing11 likes this.

(Currently on Pause)
post #1553 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_B View Post
excellent work! Very impressive.

Thanks!

I'm not a builder by profession, I just enjoy building........

You'd never guess what my main vocation is/soon to be was........it's shrouded in mystery!

My Build Threads

post #1554 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 670 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
nothing at my household gets done from August through December.............I wonder why?
Because you're too upset about USC not making it to another National Title game?....lol
post #1555 of 1777 Old 08-10-2014, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
Because you're too upset about USC not making it to another National Title game?....lol
Can't win a National Championship every year........that's unrealistic.

All I care about each year is beat Neuter Dame and crush the little "gutties" ie. bRUINs..........UCLA

Everything else will take care of itself!

My Build Threads

post #1556 of 1777 Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Took care of rope transition from two different levels.

Decided to stack 3/4 cove since I could cut end angle same as crown and just butt up against it. A lot of miter cuts, gluing and pin nailing.......but it does look a lot better. Just a few light bleeds to deal with.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	127
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	207889  

My Build Threads

post #1557 of 1777 Old 08-11-2014, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

As usual outstanding work Cory, you've done such an awesome job on your whole house from looking at all of the pictures that you've posted!
post #1558 of 1777 Old 08-11-2014, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
As usual outstanding work Cory, you've done such an awesome job on your whole house from looking at all of the pictures that you've posted!
Thanks for the kind complements........

I really owe it to a guy who taught me the trade during Summer employment between college terms. Learned enough were I was able to handle being GC on our first home built and have been looking up ever since.

I'll bet you'll want stop by to see room when to go cheer on the "zeros".

Cheering for "zeros"?

My Build Threads

post #1559 of 1777 Old 08-11-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the kind complements........

I really owe it to a guy who taught me the trade during Summer employment between college terms. Learned enough were I was able to handle being GC on our first home built and have been looking up ever since.

I'll bet you'll want stop by to see room when to go cheer on the "zeros".

Cheering for "zeros"?
If its an open invite to stop in if we head down to see the Ducks play hell yeah I'd love to stop by and check it out!....lol

I'm not really a ducks fan, just thought it would be cool to go see a game....lol
post #1560 of 1777 Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If its an open invite to stop in if we head down to see the Ducks play hell yeah I'd love to stop by and check it out!....lol

I'm not really a ducks fan, just thought it would be cool to go see a game....lol

Be prepared......

You're probably going to unload your JTR's in near future if you stop by...........

Fair warning!

My Build Threads

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page