The Coffin Build - Page 55 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 1711 Old 08-16-2014, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 271
My Daughter just sent me this knowing full well my dislike for flying........really had me laughing so decided to share.

http://safeshare.tv/w/kLlmcNCGBk
Maklar and BllDo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1711 Old 08-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Have to second the bigger rack ( ).
are we still talking about home theater here?
post #1623 of 1711 Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
are we still talking about home theater here?
Speaking of racks......

If you're referring to other kind of racks......wouldn't know anything about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (147.0 KB, 146 views)
post #1624 of 1711 Old 08-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 35
post #1625 of 1711 Old 08-16-2014, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Screen dilemma is over.......

Last night watched "All is lost" and the oil spot was clearly visable and drove me CRAZY! So took down screen once again and gave it one more try before purchasing replacement screen material.

So here is THE plan of action which solved problem.

1) Toothbrush plus Dawn dishwasher scrub. Both sides of screen scrubbed vigorously with toothbrush then sprayed/soaked Resolve stain remover and proceeded to scrub again.........15 minute scrub!

2) Heck with the delicate cycle.........went all out using ALLERGIENE cycle with extra hot water and heavy soil level. Used regular detergent too....

3) Prayed a lot!

4) Pulled out of washer and table dried!

5) Put up screen, voila'! No stain! It's gone!

Now this episode is done..........Monday begins rear bay finishing with diffusers!

Wow.......got lucky on this one! Pneumatic oil on screen is a bugger!
avtexan, Nightlord, TMcG and 1 others like this.
post #1626 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Atmos Speakers for ceiling

After much thought, and with consultation..........leading speaker to go into ceiling for Atmos implementation is Tannoy iw 6TDC.

Sensitivity of speaker is 91db/w/m which matches my Triads.......any issues with timbre can be eq'ed away.

What speaker does is disperse 90 degrees conical which will place all seating in sweet spot so rear compromise with coffer cloud is no longer a problem, can build my own backer boxes to meet my specific baffle angles required for ideal installation, and eliminates a few issues due to boundary location in ceiling.

I'm considering attending CEDIA in Denver this year to sort out direction I'll take for Atmos. Nothing is set in stone........who knows, Triad may have a new product which meets my needs but I highly doubt it. Placing custom Triad Silver LCR's in ceiling is not going to help meet specific requirements for Atmos ie dispersion and also adds significant other issues/problems to installation.

Here's info on Tannoy iw 6TDC speaker......

http://www.tannoypro.com/#!Page=Product&Id=5.60

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-17-2014 at 07:10 AM.
post #1627 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
After much thought, and with consultation..........leading speaker to go into ceiling for Atmos implementation is Tannoy iw 6TDC.

Sensitivity of speaker is 91db/w/m which matches my Triads.......any issues with timbre can be eq'ed away.

What speaker does is disperse 90 degrees conical which will place all seating in sweet spot so rear compromise with coffer cloud is no longer a problem, can build my own backer boxes to meet my specific baffle angles required for ideal installation, and eliminates a few issues due to boundary location in ceiling.

I'm considering attending CEDIA in Denver this year to sort out direction I'll take for Atmos. Nothing is set in stone........who knows, Triad may have a new product which meets my needs but I highly doubt it. Placing custom Triad Silver LCR's in ceiling is not going to help meet specific requirements for Atmos ie dispersion and also adds significant other issues/problems to installation.
What is the problem with these triads?

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iws4mon.html
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/ics6mon.html
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iwg6mon.html

The frequency range, power handling seems to be ideal for this application. not to mention these would match your LCR triads nicely I assume and they could be installed in your cloud easily also.

I can't find the dispersion pattern of these in the specifications but as they use traditional tweeters they should be very wide. If not, you could easily angle them properly inside your cloud given their shallow profile.

oh yes, and in contrast to the tannoy above, the triads are already boxed so you can be sure that you have the exact intended performance that match the crossovers' design. while with the tannoy you need to build a 20L box for them and hope its shape and rigidness will result the sound they intended to produce..

do I miss something obvious drawback? (aside from maybe price on which I have no info)
doublewing11 likes this.

Last edited by raczkri; 08-17-2014 at 07:57 AM.
post #1628 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raczkri View Post
What is the problem with these triads?

http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iws4mon.html
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/ics6mon.html
http://www.triadspeakers.com/products/iwg6mon.html

The frequency range, power handling seems to be ideal for this application. not to mention these would match your LCR triads nicely I assume and they could be installed in your cloud easily also.

I can't find the dispersion pattern of these in the specifications but as they use traditional tweeters they should be very wide. If not, you could easily angle them properly inside your cloud given their shallow profile.

oh yes, and in contrast to the tannoy above, the triads are already boxed so you can be sure that you have the exact intended performance that match the crossovers' design. while with the tannoy you need to build a 20L box for them and hope its shape and rigidness will result the sound they intended to produce..

do I miss something obvious drawback? (aside from maybe price on which I have no info)

You have mentioned some fine speakers..........

If I could go back in time.......which I can't........I would have used Triad Gold Monitors with Silver Monitors for surround instead of current speakers. I was told on numerous occasions Gold Monitors would not work in my room. At time, I wanted Triad Plats but never had a chance to hear them, not to mention telling room designer I wanted Plats but room was spec-ed with Triad Golds. Since acoustic design was based on using Gold LCR, decided in end to go that way.

In reality, at my current listening levels ie -8 to -10 on Marantz 8801, I could have easily used Gold Monitors.........and never deal with that voice in my head stating, " What if........."

With ceiling speakers being so close to boundary, along with dispersion needing to be 90 degrees conical to encompass all seats in cone, essentially coaxials are best solution to problem. Because of driver alignment, lobing issues as in destructive energy at crossover frequencies would be issue with all mentioned Triad products.........though Silver Monitors would be less of an issue.

Fore-mentioned Tannoy in-walls require 0.7 cf internal volume as noted by manufacturer............I have no issue and actually prefer building my own baffle for speakers. Internal volume needed would be approximately 18-20 inches long which is certainly doable. Internals of said speaker is approximately 3-1/2 " deep so plenty of room to build backer box which is restricted by 8-1/4 " depth of my coffer cloud. As for Tannoy's super tweeter.......it's crossed over at 16 kHz so destructive issues near boundary are minimal.

It's still a wait and see situation........attending CEDIA and seeing what solutions are out there might be helpful especially with my preference to use Triad speakers. Wife gave me permission to attend CEDIA so it looks like I'm good to go........but a quick flight turnaround has me wondering if I'm taking on too much ie have to fly into Boston immediately after CEDIA to see Daughter.

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-17-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #1629 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 10:26 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Theater room is off to the left of kitchen/dining area.............A huge bonus!!

17 ft Throw on the Sony 1100ES on a 12 ft 2.37 Seymour-Screen Excellence 4k Screen. Bright and throws a gorgeous picture!!

Gorgeous room and kitchen!
doublewing11 likes this.

Last edited by wse; 08-17-2014 at 01:48 PM.
post #1630 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Not so long run to save falling plates.
J_P_A and doublewing11 like this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1631 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
Gorgeous room and kitchen!
Thanks for the kind complements!

Those pictures were before I started cloud.....room has really changed!

I'll pass on complements to my wife about her kitchen. Since I designed home I just gave her her space to work with. She spent months on CAD designing kitchen and picking appliances, granite, tile ect. I kept my nose out of it except I told her I wanted a grill for steaks. Glad she honored my request since barbecue steaks in Winter is great!
post #1632 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Did she know CAD from before, or did she take the time to learn to get the kitchen done? If the latter - I'm very impressed.
doublewing11 likes this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1633 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Not so long run to save falling plates.
Funny you mentioned that!

I warned my wife about getting something, anything to keep plate in cubby from moving......she didn't listen to me, but in essence it doesn't matter. The plate just leans against adjacent wall to theater.

The theater room is so well engineered, dampen.......that shared wall is silent as a church mouse!

Four layers of 5/8" Rock with multiple layers of GG, R-24 insulation and 2 x 6 construction with clips and channels......well, sound proofing and isolation is a success!! That 700 lb frig/freezer doesn't vibrate one bit!

Playing WOTW at reference makes theater room a trampoline! But my wife's kitchen is dead silent except for some low rumbling sounds every once in a while.

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.
post #1634 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Did she know CAD from before, or did she take the time to learn to get the kitchen done? If the latter - I'm very impressed.
The later......she learned how to use software on her own! That woman is extremely intelligent......she keeps me on my toes, besides, she married me!

BTW, it does help being isolated for 8 months since we lived at family ranch while home was under construction......she had nothing else better to do!
post #1635 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 01:49 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Thanks for the kind complements!Those pictures were before I started cloud.....room has really changed! I'll pass on complements to my wife about her kitchen. Since I designed home I just gave her her space to work with. She spent months on CAD designing kitchen and picking appliances, granite, tile ect. I kept my nose out of it except I told her I wanted a grill for steaks. Glad she honored my request since barbecue steaks in Winter is great!
New room pictures please. Yes I love barbecue steaks all year round
post #1636 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post
New room pictures please. Yes I love barbecue steaks all year round

By this Monday or Tuesday I'll be done with room aesthetically....ie no more room changing. When specifics are configured for Atmos, then I'll be officially done!

Roger Dressler has been invaluable pushing me in right direction.......more of a confidence issue......he has given me sound advice.

Plan is to hire a photographer skilled in HD. Plan to post those pictures as soon as they are available......Lord knows I have NO skills in that department.....my skill set lies elsewhere!
post #1637 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Do you have any lights directly over your seating? I thought you did, but I don't see them your pics.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1638 of 1711 Old 08-17-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Do you have any lights directly over your seating? I thought you did, but I don't see them your pics.
Electrician comes Wednesday......we will discuss our options. I was going to wire all four cans, two in rear, two in middle using 12-2.....but couldn't decide exactly what to do.

As room sits, sconces light up room like a Roman candle.......no reason to add more lights. My wife uses room for reading and in her opinion she felt there was no need for added cans too. At this time will wait on our electrician and discuss options with him........he has done well for us so far......besides, he played football for me and is classically conditioned to do as I say!
post #1639 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All six Atmos speaker locations are wired in.......now to figure out which speakers to use .

Cut 10 inch wide, three foot long Linacoustic strips which lines projector leg.

Will button up shortly....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (217.8 KB, 67 views)
post #1640 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 46
Don't be too quick on getting the speakers. You should see speakers for that purpose which 'exactly' match your current speakers at Expo in Denver. Just saying.
Mfusick likes this.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #1641 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Erskine View Post
Don't be too quick on getting the speakers. You should see speakers for that purpose which 'exactly' match your current speakers at Expo in Denver. Just saying.
I think he said he is using triad, and had a contact there.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1642 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks.......

Nothing impulsive ........taking a wait and see approach....but at least I'm ready.

I'd prefer Triad coming up with a solution.......but with my conversations with Triad nothing was mentioned coming down pipeline. I suspect word "exactly" refers to Triad announcing something at CEDIA?
post #1643 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 289
As a Triad CinemaPlus Platinum & Gold user, I'm REALLY hoping Triad brings some dedicated Atmos ceiling speaker-surprises of similar caliber to this year's CEDIA Expo. The "Atmos enabled" speakers just won't cut it for me.
post #1644 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The specs on how atmos works, and is matrixed from the existing surround channels suggests you don't need a speaker that digs down much lower than 180hz, so nothing crazy should be required for a speaker.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1645 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 46
Dispersion will be very important.

Dennis Erskine CFI, CFII, MEI
Architectural Acoustics
Subject Matter Expert
Certified Home Theater Designer
CEDIA Board of Directors
www.erskine-group.com
www.CinemaForte.net
post #1646 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I would assume so, especially considering ceiling height / distance to LP. Do you happen to know if there is a specific recommended dispersion spec for atmos ceiling speakers ?

-

post #1647 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
As a Triad CinemaPlus Platinum & Gold user, I'm REALLY hoping Triad brings some dedicated Atmos ceiling speaker-surprises of similar caliber to this year's CEDIA Expo. The "Atmos enabled" speakers just won't cut it for me.
Wow.......Gold LCR's for surrounds!

After hearing Noesis 212's, I knew Triad Plats were too much for me......too much as in output!

Erskine Group knew a lot more about my needs than my wants........I give them credit for that. Triad Plats would have been too much for my listening habits!

Still have never heard Plats, Paul Scarpelli even tried to convince me to go that route sight unseen/heard. In actuality.......Gold LCR's are perfect........have listened to only one movie at reference level.......clean uncompressed......but won't do that again!!!!

You must be one bold guy.......or at least like loud, clean, uncompressed sound!

Yeah, I plan to be at CEDIA........hopefully, Triad has something up their sleeve..........but with back and forth conversations with Steve Colburn who is involved with Product Development at Triad.......nothing of any sort was mentioned about Atmos ceiling speakers.

Keeping fingers crossed........
post #1648 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That's exactly what I've been told......even to point of being paramount.

Thanks again for info and feedback.....
post #1649 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 12:18 PM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 276
post #1650 of 1711 Old 08-18-2014, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just saw this thread. Great stuff!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page