The Coffin Build - Page 58 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1711 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 319
To help other AVS members budget and plan a project like this, I'm going through receipts currently to finalize tab. As fore-mentioned at beginning I am fortunate to have opportunity to receive pricing advantages on Knotty Alder which most consumers don't have, but at least it can spark interest for others to tackle a similar project.

Going off the top of my head, from start to finish including all materials, any additional labor I contacted, acoustic treatments........everything......I believe I'm in neighborhood of $2500-$3000. I'll have the final tally including line items by end of day......yup, when it come to financial matters, I'm all business!

On another note, what many of us are wondering, what to do about Atmos.

For me, the main structure is ready and prepared for Atmos......question is what goodies to fill theater room to actually implement and operate Atmos. No jabberwocky from me......I'm all Atmos businesses........not waiting or planning to implement Atmos........or stringing out construction for a year or two......I need to figure what to do now!

To answer that question, was planning to attend CEDIA since I have money to burn for implementing Atmos. Under prior conditions, attending CEDIA was worth my while but opportunities to further my knowledge base were rescinded and given to another. Can't believe how disappoint I am but it is what it is.

Off my soapbox.........I'll have those final tabulated numbers........by end of day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry about this.....editing my front page and wanted to insert this photo. iPhones and vbulletin for some reason don't mix! .......shrugs.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	220666  
post #1713 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Thank you for taking the time to post all the details that went into the ceiling. It was very informative and helpful.

Second:
Quote:
To answer that question, was planning to attend CEDIA since I have money to burn for implementing Atmos. Under prior conditions, attending CEDIA was worth my while but opportunities to further my knowledge base were rescinded and given to another. Can't believe how disappoint I am but it is what it is.
What kind of BS is that. How terribly unprofessional. Do you know who they gave your invite to? Was it Tim. I bet it was Tim. Everybody boycott Tim's progress in his build thread...er, wait.
doublewing11 likes this.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #1714 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Thank you for taking the time to post all the details that went into the ceiling. It was very informative and helpful.
Thanks.......

Glad my documentation was helpful which I'm hoping others are willing to take on such a major project.........not terribly expensive, but takes a lot of time, work and effort to accomplish. BTW, I feel real guilty not documenting how room was constructed.......ie two pages from beginning and room was done. Promised myself I'd be more thorough with following projects.........as I look back......58 pages now when room was 90% complete after 2 pages?

BIG mistake on my behalf was not taking time documenting how foundation was constructed/engineered...........that would've sparked interest but I was too busy wearing too many different hats during construction. My engineering degree has been useful from time to time especially during our home construction.........I've never used my degree professionally though.

Now it's just a matter of figuring out all the goodies.......I've set aside a significant budget with my wife' approval.........she has enjoyed theater room far more than she or I anticipated!
post #1715 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
I've never used my degree professionally though.
that sort of upsets me... Why waste it? Start making use of it!
/Nightlord who is a representative of his local engineer's union
doublewing11 likes this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #1716 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
that sort of upsets me... Why waste it? Start making use of it!
/Nightlord who is a representative of his local engineer's union

I used it building home........just not professionally. I tend to waste a lot of things........like a plane ticket to Denver for CEDIA.

J_P_A likes this.

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-20-2014 at 12:29 PM.
post #1717 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
dw...
I really like the front stage area, and I have only been following since the Atmos upgrade installation. I did look, so forgive me if i missed it. The front side "wing" area around the screen...is it flush with the side walls, or recessed? I assume this is for side light reflections coming from the screen?
Love the colors, and the richness of the look with the wood. (Everywhere)...So many people try to implement wood trim, but fall short of expectation. You, sir, have not. The Cloud design is ingenious, and I can only imagine the sound that will result when/if Atmos comes in to it's own.
The overhead (future) Atmos effect speakers are only in the front cloud section? What will you do when everything is ironed out? Pull down the existing fabric, and re-stretch...or replace entirely?
Thank you for sharing your journey.
doublewing11 likes this.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1718 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
dw...
I really like the front stage area, and I have only been following since the Atmos upgrade installation. I did look, so forgive me if i missed it. The front side "wing" area around the screen...is it flush with the side walls, or recessed? I assume this is for side light reflections coming from the screen?
Love the colors, and the richness of the look with the wood. (Everywhere)...So many people try to implement wood trim, but fall short of expectation. You, sir, have not. The Cloud design is ingenious, and I can only imagine the sound that will result when/if Atmos comes in to it's own.
The overhead (future) Atmos effect speakers are only in the front cloud section? What will you do when everything is ironed out? Pull down the existing fabric, and re-stretch...or replace entirely?
Thank you for sharing your journey.
Glad you have been following and have taken interest in my room.........

My room was designed by Erskine Group......while design was great, I had to deal with a few issues namely screen wall area due to wanting a much larger screen along with shrinking stage since designed stage was too big for my tastes. I cut back size of stage by 18" which created several issues, but in end all worked out.

Stage area is built in typical EG form.......so stage is floating with sand, 1/4" off wall, voids filled with insulation yada, yada......yada. To answer your question specifically, the wing is close to flush with wall ie 1/4" offset. Fir strip and fabric channel are used from Gray/green fabric to black.......both fabrics use same fabric channel.

The black fabric was extended as you mentioned for side light reflections. My goal was to minimize length of black fabric while maintaining screen contrast, and room aesthetics. Wife and I are pleased with how it turnout and those friends who have visited the last couple days have been in awe. Now remember.........West Coast dedicated theater rooms are a rare commodity compared to back East or Mid-West........maybe awe should be tempered.

On Atmos front, I've received help from a little Dolby birdie on my shoulder........namely Roger Dressler who has acknowledged speaker parameters were I'm confident my solution is doable. Must give credit where credit is due...

Atmos is already pre-wired in four corners of cloud including middle row pair just above 1st row seating. When I'm settled on specific components, implementation will be extremely easy! 2 X 2's are in cloud for speaker backing ie attaching speakers to cloud. AlI have to do now is pull back fabric at each location, dampen speaker and screw into 2 X 2 backers.......simple as pie!

For time being, plan is to house 6 ceiling speakers...........

Thanks for the kind words concerning wood execution........Knotty Alder is a fantastic wood to work with..........takes stain well, forgiving with nails and screws, and really has a warm interesting grain. Our home essentially is rustic/modern so Knotty Alder fits in quite well.

Thanks again for following and hope this thread has been helpful.......I just love this hobby to death!
Mfusick and J_P_A like this.
post #1719 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
….........I just love this hobby to death!
Considering the name of your thread, that's certainly convenient!
doublewing11 likes this.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #1720 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Considering the name of your thread, that's certainly convenient!
Too FUNNY!

You should have known from the start........who in their right mind would call their build a Coffin! Me!

Blame it on my Son.......he called this room my coffin. Seemed fitting for a build name.......

I just can't see myself calling this build a palace, or some local theater name......not my style. I'm always joking how old I am..............inside family joke! BTW, I'm not that old at all!

Just to let you know, I do remember the big hair bands in college!
post #1721 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Does THAT mean we're old? I thought it was the noises that come from my body when I get up...that classified me as such. Thanks for the detailed response. I hope you get to enjoy this room to the fullest.
doublewing11 likes this.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #1722 of 1816 Old 08-20-2014, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin g. View Post
Does THAT mean we're old? I thought it was the noises that come from my body when I get up...that classified me as such. Thanks for the detailed response. I hope you get to enjoy this room to the fullest.
Haven't needed an overhaul yet......

Thanks, as soon as I figure out what equipment I need I'll be set!
post #1723 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
The specs on how atmos works, and is matrixed from the existing surround channels suggests you don't need a speaker that digs down much lower than 180hz, so nothing crazy should be required for a speaker.
That 180 Hz spec refers to the upfiring speaker. The bass below 180 Hz is shunted to the main speaker beneath it so as to minimize midbass mislocalization or smear. For a ceiling mounted speaker, it should be the same bandwidth as any other surround speaker.

Quote:
I have to say, I'm all over the place with how to go on this. What I've read recently indicates that those attending the Dolby demos have slightly preferred the ATMOS enabled speakers over the in/on-ceiling speakers.
Maybe if they used coaxial speakers and aimed them properly, they would sound better (but that was not the mission of the demo, was it.... Only one demo room in LA uses coax speakers (if I'm reading the reports from NY and London correctly), and all of them point the speakers straight down. Funny, that's not how they are positioned in Atmos cinemas...
doublewing11 likes this.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1724 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Maybe if they used coaxial speakers and aimed them properly, they would sound better (but that was not the mission of the demo, was it.... Only one demo room in LA uses coax speakers (if I'm reading the reports from NY and London correctly), and all of them point the speakers straight down. Funny, that's not how they are positioned in Atmos cinemas...

I've read a few of those reports and thought it was odd ceiling speakers were firing straight down which was counterintuitive to way I know or understood speaker alignment. Shrugged it off thinking those folks who designed room and speaker alignment knew what they were doing...........hmmmm.
post #1725 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

What kind of BS is that. How terribly unprofessional. Do you know who they gave your invite to? Was it Tim. I bet it was Tim. Everybody boycott Tim's progress in his build thread...er, wait.
No BllDO.......

It was a beauty contest...........you pick 6 girls for a date hoping one will accept. When more than one accepts date you have a conundrum.

So happens the mature girl who is ready to settle down and get married must have a wart on nose........since young boisterous gal who's not close to being ready for real life implementation was selected. Not a wise choice IMHO........
post #1726 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
…...
That was my initial thought as well, but after I read through the white paper I was left wondering if the intent is to aim the speakers or not. My interpretation of the white paper is any speaker with a 90x90 or greater pattern should be aimed down, and anything with a narrower pattern should be aimed at the LP.

Not pointing the speakers towards the LP does seem counterintuitive, though. And it's still a valid point that the Dolby demo was intended to showcase the up firing speakers.
doublewing11 likes this.

post #1727 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not pointing the speakers towards the LP does seem counterintuitive, though. And it's still a valid point that the Dolby demo was intended to showcase the up firing speakers.
Naive as it may be.........never caught on to why ceiling speakers were pointed down........took it for granted how speakers were aimed! Afterall, one would think Dolby would want to place best foot forward.

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-21-2014 at 10:42 AM.
post #1728 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 353
^^ If Dolby came out saying that ceiling speakers ought to be aimed toward the listeners, it might send shivers down the spines of all those folks who already have (or want to use) typical in-ceiling speakers. "OMG, I have to tear out my speakers just for Atmos!" We already saw such reaction from those who have front height speakers for PLIIz. It's a fine line to walk.

I will easily be able to try aiming my speakers both ways. Just need the signals!
doublewing11 likes this.

Deadwood Atmos theater
AV7702 Atmos 7.4.4, SSP-800 PLIIx 7.4
Aerial Acoustics 7B/CC3B fronts, B&W CWM8180 surrounds, Tannoy Di6 DC heights, Hsu ULS-15 subs
post #1729 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
^^ If Dolby came out saying that ceiling speakers ought to be aimed toward the listeners, it might send shivers down the spines of all those folks who already have (or want to use) typical in-ceiling speakers. "OMG, I have to tear out my speakers just for Atmos!" We already saw such reaction from those who have front height speakers for PLIIz. It's a fine line to walk.

I will easily be able to try aiming my speakers both ways. Just need the signals!

We ALL wait patiently and with anticipation for your long awaited signals!!!!
post #1730 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
We ALL wait patiently and with anticipation for your long awaited signals!!!!
That one part might be a stretch

post #1731 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That one part might be a stretch
Insert.......

Imperturbably?

post #1732 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

$275 light bulb replacement? What the heck?

My wife's Wolf steam oven light bulb has been out for 3-4 months. Last week called Wolf-Sub Zero to have them send me a bulb so I could replace......steam oven is still under waranty. They wouldn't allow me to change bulb...........instead Wolf sent out a repairmen who's 70 miles away at a cost of $180! Talk about inefficient! I could have done change out with blind fold on! Oh well.......great service though!

Speaking of lights.......electrician comes tomorrow and I'm looking for small downlight with trim that will be no wider than 4-3/4". Any ideas? Putting four adjustable cans/gimbels in cloud.

Thanks....
post #1733 of 1816 Old 08-21-2014, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FINAL NUMBERS

Boards and Molding Knotty Alder

150 LF 1x8
150 LF 1x6
150 LF 3-1/4 OG base
90 LF 1x2
50 LF 5-1/4 OG base
400 LF 3/4 cove
150 LF 4-1/4 crown

Total $1475.25

Acoustic Treatments

Eight 2" 2' x 4' OC 703 plus shipping
Four 24" x 24" x 6.5" 2D diffusers
spray adhesive
6 mil poly

Total $587.78

Stain, paint, seal and supplies

Labor Spray lacquer + lacquer
pre-stain 2 quarts
stain fruitwood one quart
tack cloth, drop cloth, brushes, sponges, painters tape
miscellaneous other items

Total $511.26

Fabric 5 yds Sensa $158.56

Mechanical attachment: nails, screws TOTAL $117.35

Two sheets AC-U 1/2" Plywood Total $76.90

Speaker wire Monoprice

100LF in-wall 12 AWG 2 conductor
100LF in-wall 12 AGW 4 conductor

Total $122.45

Miscellaneous items such as #3 Fruitwood pencils, washers etc

Total $132.63

Grand Total for complete project trimming soffit, coffer cloud

$3,182.15

There you have it.......complete list of expendatures.

Before I started, I solicited three bids ranging from $8,000-$12,500 to do job..............just wasn't worth digging in savings, besides.....I knew I'd do a better job.

Hope this helps!
Mfusick likes this.

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-21-2014 at 09:28 PM.
post #1734 of 1816 Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
I thought you meant you did your entire theater for that. I almost crapped my pants! Then I read it again. .

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #1735 of 1816 Old 08-22-2014, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
I thought you meant you did your entire theater for that. I almost crapped my pants! Then I read it again. .
Hopefully, you eat your fiber regularly.......would make for a healthier/ cleaner experience.

No, no, no.......this Summer project only. Maybe the confusion stems from those three bid numbers? BTW, those bid numbers I originally thought were out of whack........actually, they seem low. This project was a lot more work than anticipated.

Thanks for stopping by......please come again..........ba....ba-bye!

Edit:

BTW, I was going to give a thumbs up or like on post.........but then on second thought, I'd open myself up to JPA commenting on me enjoying/liking subject matter..........naaaa.....no likes for you!

Last edited by doublewing11; 08-22-2014 at 08:33 AM.
post #1736 of 1816 Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just throwing in a gratuitous picture of an angry British sea........seemed appropriate.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	273
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	223649  
J_P_A and Nightlord like this.
post #1737 of 1816 Old 08-22-2014, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
….
BTW, I was going to give a thumbs up or like on post.........but then on second thought, I'd open myself up to JPA commenting on enjoying subject matter..........naaaa.....no likes for you!
Who!?! Me!?!

post #1738 of 1816 Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who!?! Me!?!
Yeah........you!

Giving poo a thumbs up........that's like opening up all kinds of clever-ish ideas for some to comment on!
post #1739 of 1816 Old 08-22-2014, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Graffik-eye surgery!

Finishing off 6th and final zone......4 led lights in cloud along with comm wire to rack. Wire will be laid near location of coffer....still need to select proper sized cans including trim to fit in 4-3/4" space.

Attached Thumbnails

Views:	206
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	224025  
post #1740 of 1816 Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Just throwing in a gratuitous picture of an angry British sea........seemed appropriate.

That's awesome, in the proper meaning of the word!!

Under construction: the Larch theater
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Marantz Av8801 , Peavey Ipr2 7500 Power Amplifier 7500 Watts
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page