Haze Grey Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok... This won't be the typical " Tear it all down and build from scratch" type of thread that you normally see here. I have been lurking this forum for probably about a year picking up snippets of ideas and tips from all of the awe-inspiring builds here. Mine will be relatively simple in comparison.
I am starting from a already framed in and finished basement with a drop ceiling about 7 ½’ from the deck. Above that there is about 2-21/2” to the bottom of the joists.
The area will be fully carpeted with a dark tight mesh berber type carpet. The window on the right hand side will be “boxed” so as to eliminate any light from entering the space.
I will also be removing the existing florescent lights and installing can lights … 3 in front of the screen.. then four on the left and right side.

The seating, is still up for debate. We know that because of the floor plan and the drop ceiling we really can’t do a riser setup so we are going to do a single row of seating with a either a sectional ( as shown in the schematic) or buying individual recliners and staggering them in two rows. Still undecided about this. The WAF really points toward power recliners with the heat and massage .. which I am of course agreeable to. The issue is space. If you look at the diagram there is a little bump out that has a fireplace where two recliners will go, and that is a nonnegotiable item according to my better half, and finding a sectional that does not stick out so far as to make that area impassable along with other requirements ( not leather or any other fabric made from animals .. the Wife is a Vegan)

I will also be painting the walls a deeper tone... somewhere between taupe and brown matte finish, although I am unsure what to do with the ceiling because I know that there will be a lot of light splash from the screen on it. I don't want to have half the room's ceiling painted black because that would just look funny.

Equipment:
  • PJ: JVC RS45 mounted next to a wall partition that encloses the whole house vac and cast iron plumbing stand pipe.
  • Screen: Seymour Centerstage XD 109” diag in 16:9
  • Audio: Currently have a Sony STR-DE935 5.1 DTS / which is adequate for now, but will be upgraded probably in the future to a Denon.
  • Speakers: I currently have some “Buy Other Sound Equipment” (Bose) AM15 which will also be replaced pretty quickly once the funds allow.
  • HTPC: Mac Pro 8 core Xeon running XBMC HDMI ouput
  • Blue Ray / Gaming: PS3 - Will soon have Oppo BlueRay player

So I have included a picture as the room stands now… and a schematic diagram. My PJ Arrives today, so it will be quite the struggle not to pull it out and “try it”.
That is all I can think of at the moment. More to come later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Have you bought the screen yet? If not, as others have stated before, throw the image up on the wall (with temp screen / sheet) first and flirt with 'as big as you like'. You may find that a max size is what suits you and family. Far too many have bought screen (when going from LCD/Plasma) thinking that 100" +/-is 'plenty big' only wishing for more.

It looks like you have room to go bigger.

I'm at 140" diag, sit at 12-13' away and it's not too big or dim. DVD looks good, HD cable and Bluray are excellent at this size and distance.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasman View Post

Have you bought the screen yet? If not, as others have stated before, throw the image up on the wall (with temp screen / sheet) first and flirt with 'as big as you like'. You may find that a max size is what suits you and family. Far too many have bought screen (when going from LCD/Plasma) thinking that 100" +/-is 'plenty big' only wishing for more.
It looks like you have room to go bigger.
I'm at 140" diag, sit at 12-13' away and it's not too big or dim. DVD looks good, HD cable and Bluray are excellent at this size and distance.

No, I have not purchased the screen yet, I have found it increasingly difficult to contact anyone at Seymour AV to give them money... I have called, emailed... etc.. trying to give them money.. .but no one returns my calls or emails.

You may be correct, but I am not sure the wall can support bigger. Currently I have the bottom edge masked off at 25" above the deck and 1" below the ceiling. I am afraid that any lower would not be comfortable viewing... but I will play with it when....

speak of the devil... UPS guy here... PJ Just arrived here from AVScience. smile.gif

here is a pic to give a little idea of the screen layout on the wall... now mind you.. I will actually be building a wall about 2 1/2 feet forward from the wall in this picture... to allow a space behind for speakers and my rack to go. ( It's all going to be AT material)
post #4 of 8 Old 10-22-2012, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have to correct some information... The ceiling height is really only 6'8" ... not 7 1/2 ' .. I don't know where I got that measurement from ... but apparently I was insane.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 AM

Nice layout and thread.
What program did you use to create that Layout Drawing?

I personally would do a 2:35 Screen and use the entire wide of that Stage (from left to right) but everyone each has their own smile.gifsmile.gif

Are you going Anamorphic Lense with the Project?

You theater will be big, the height of your ceiling will be no problem as you site and watch movies. wink.gifwink.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by donjuanwater View Post

Nice layout and thread.
What program did you use to create that Layout Drawing?
I personally would do a 2:35 Screen and use the entire wide of that Stage (from left to right) but everyone each has their own smile.gifsmile.gif
Are you going Anamorphic Lense with the Project?
You theater will be big, the height of your ceiling will be no problem as you site and watch movies. wink.gifwink.gif

I used a iOS app called Magicplan for the layout. It is pretty cool. It lets you create the blueprint and measurements just using your iPhone/ iPad camera. I just had to make only minor adjustments to the measurements.

I think I am going to stick with 16:9 .... Because I honestly do not know enough about anamorphic lenses and masking devices.

I am however thinking of going with a larger screen now that I have had a chance to throw the display up on the wall, it would appear that I can get away with a 120" diag screen without much sacrifice. Although the wife thinks that is a little overkill.... So we will have to see how that goes.

I do have to say that I am really knocked out by the picture presented by the b-stock JVC RS45 that I picked up from AV Science... I was testing screen sizes and watching The Avengers BluRay... Wow.....just wow.
post #7 of 8 Old 11-16-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

My Screen arrives today, and have been trying to come up with a viable plan for the screen wall. got a framed Seymour AV Centerstage XD screen. 120" Diag. (105” wide)

Here is my conundrum.
My original plan was to build the screen wall out about 2’ from the back wall to allow placement of speakers / sub, and to also house/obscure my A/V rack on the right hand side wall.

Buut....
I have been toying with the Idea of building a frame work that would house the LCR / SUB that would require me to only be about 6” from the back wall. The screen will be centered on this wall. But I have about 2’ to play with as far as distance from the back wall. I can adjust seating to optimize viewing distance. The throw to the back wall is currently about 16 feet.

I want this wall to be black fabric to help with the contrast perception and cut down on light wash from the screen. I have zero knowledge on what kind of fabric will achieve what I am looking for. I know how to frame and build the wall… that is easy for me but how to cover it is my problem.

Do I just cover the frame work with the fabric? Or is it better to make fabric panels that can be removed?
Do I need to put some sort of baffling on the back wall to eliminate reflections?

My next question is : Is it better to conceal the A/V rack or is it ok to have it facing out ( In my case it would be facing from the left wall. Or would it be better to build the wall out more to have the A/V rack behind the screen wall.

This may be jumbled and confused… but makes sense to me. I just wish there was someone here in the Kansas City area with excellent experience that I could discuss this with.

Here are a couple of links to help you see what is in my mind when I am thinking of this. I know I am probably going about this all in the wrong order.. but it is what it is. : /
This one
or this one
This one is closest I think

Let me know what you think...
Thanks..
post #8 of 8 Old 11-19-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

After much more trolling the threads, I have decided on utilizing BigMouthinDC's "Goalpost" design. I will most likely be using some form of micro velvet to match the frame on the Seymour frame. Does anyone have any suggestions for the fabric?

Another question. I am looking at having the A/V rack sitting to the left side of the screen on a perpendicular wall. I am hoping this wont be too distracting or cause any light wash on the screen... The screen will be about 2 1/2 feet away. any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page