Wall Paint to Use? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I am in the process of painting my white walls for my home Theater and going to put on chair railing to give it a finished look.

Few questions:

1. I have used Sherwin Williams in the past for my house but I have about $150 each to Lowes and Home Depot in Giftcards. Any suggestions on what type and finish paint to get in a home theater? I just need something that goes on easy and looks nice and will last.

2. What are some good colors to use when painting a home theater?

3. I want to get a true black for behind the tv and the ceiling. Any recommendations? Any thing from Lowes or Home Depot since I have giftcards!

5. What type of rollers would i use?

6. Should I use a Gray Primer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Liked: 19
If you're going dark you'll want to prime the walls grey, or have the primer tinted with your color of choice. As an example when I painted my house the primer was tinted 50% the color of the house paint.

My walls are going to be a dark red, with a dark brown ceiling. I had my primer tinted grey.

Talk to the folks at the paint desk. I use Zinssner 123 primer, since my uncle is a professional painter (25+ years) and that is his primer of choice. The paint for my theater came from Miller so I used their primer this time around, mainly because they were having a sale.

Are your walls smooth or do they have a texture to them? Orange peel, knock down, ? A good 3/8" nap roller will work well for most walls. Matt finishes show smudges very easily, where a flat is more durable. Eggshell is not bad but does have a bit of "sheen" to it and would likely be a little reflective.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 PM

Liked: 10
good topic,

What are the most picture friendly colors to use, and please explain why.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxfj View Post

If you're going dark you'll want to prime the walls grey, or have the primer tinted with your color of choice. As an example when I painted my house the primer was tinted 50% the color of the house paint.
My walls are going to be a dark red, with a dark brown ceiling. I had my primer tinted grey.
Talk to the folks at the paint desk. I use Zinssner 123 primer, since my uncle is a professional painter (25+ years) and that is his primer of choice. The paint for my theater came from Miller so I used their primer this time around, mainly because they were having a sale.
Are your walls smooth or do they have a texture to them? Orange peel, knock down, ? A good 3/8" nap roller will work well for most walls. Matt finishes show smudges very easily, where a flat is more durable. Eggshell is not bad but does have a bit of "sheen" to it and would likely be a little reflective.

Thanks