Moving past 7.1 into 9.1/11.x/3D ObjectAudio in HT via AudysseyDSX/DolbyPLIIz/DTS Neo:X™/Auro-3D - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer Need and want are 2 different things. I didn't need 11 speakers ( over my previous 7 ), but I like it a lot more. I don't need a 2nd subwoofer either - but it's on it way !!

That is so true smile.gif

For me to put 11 speakers in, I would probably need to have a new processor since the Classe SSP-800 is only 10 Channels including the subs. In addition I don' think I can afford to add four more 802D.

Moving from 7.1 to 11.1 ( or .2 ) is a " chicken and the egg " sort of thing. I wouldn't have thought about doing it, crawling in the 110 degree F attic running new speaker wires, if I hadn't already bought a new Denon 4520 receiver. I didn't necessarily buy the 4520 for 11.2, I bought it for the Audyssey XT32. Of course, once I had the ability to have an 11.2 system, well, it was only a matter of time. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumbleypeg View Post

I am getting an oppo 103 and have heard different answers about whether it will pass the DTS Neo:X signal to a receiver. Has anyone in this forum tried it with The Expendables II?

No movie is recorded in "DTS NEO:x "..it is not a surround format. It is post processing applied by the AV receiver. The Expendables II is a DTS HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack on the Blu Ray...just like a ton of other Blu Ray movies.

http://www.dts.com/corporate/press-releases/2012/11/the-expendables-2-first-blu-ray-to-feature-dts-neo-x.aspx

Home audio receivers equipped with DTS Neo:X offer entertainment consumers an unprecedented multi-dimensional audio experience by optimizing 5.1 or 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™ soundtracks for a full 11.1 experience. DTS Neo:X technology enabled on films, such as The Expendables 2, delivers a high intensity audio experience that truly elevates the 3D home entertainment experience to a new level.

My updated (2/2014)HT set-up

post #423 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Oppo BDP 103 - it's an excellent Blu Ray player.I'm still using my BDP 83 Oppo !!

post #424 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:

I am getting an oppo 103 and have heard different answers about whether it will pass the DTS Neo:X signal to a receiver. Has anyone in this forum tried it with The Expendables II?

Any Blu-ray player capable of bitstreaming the DTS-MA codec will work with the Expendables II soundtrack. The DTS Neo:X "information" is matrix encoded on the 7.1 channel track. There are no "special" added channels outside of the official Blu-ray specs.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #425 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 11:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1043 Post(s)
Liked: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

No movie is recorded in "DTS NEO:x "..it is not a surround format. It is post processing applied by the AV receiver.
There are 3 movies on Blu-ray recorded in DTS Neo:X. Neo:X can be surround processing OR matrix decoding, depending on source. With most sources it will be used as surround processing (blind upmixing). With Neo:X encoded sources, it is a decoder (it extracts the height and wide channels that the mixer encoded into the soundtrack).

Sanjay
post #426 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

There are 3 movies on Blu-ray recorded in DTS Neo:X. Neo:X can be surround processing OR matrix decoding, depending on source. With most sources it will be used as surround processing (blind upmixing). With Neo:X encoded sources, it is a decoder (it extracts the height and wide channels that the mixer encoded into the soundtrack).
What movies? I bet they are something that I could care less to watch.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #427 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 11:22 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View PostMoving from 7.1 to 11.1 ( or .2 ) is a " chicken and the egg " sort of thing. I wouldn't have thought about doing it, crawling in the 110 degree F attic running new speaker wires, if I hadn't already bought a new Denon 4520 receiver. I didn't necessarily buy the 4520 for 11.2, I bought it for the Audyssey XT32. Of course, once I had the ability to have an 11.2 system, well, it was only a matter of time. smile.gif

I hear you, I just could see myself hanging B&W 805Ds on the ceiling :)

My humble Cinema
post #428 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 11:30 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Yep.

http://www.dts.com/consumers/entertainment-audio/new-releases.aspx?q=Movies&at=f44a2081e2bb42718beef1d0a2440475#recentReleases

post #429 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post

Then don't worry about which movies they are.

Sanjay
post #430 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 01:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

So when there are actually 11.1 soundtracks the oppo will still bitstream them?
post #431 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You'd have to ask Oppo; though by the time there are discrete 11.1 soundtracks on the market, Oppo might have introduced newer disc players anyway.

Sanjay
post #432 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Doesn't HDMI 2.0 allow for up to 16 channels of audio output?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #433 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:

Current BD players can technically deliver 11.1 via Auro-3D, TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. But not as PCM.

Roger

post #434 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Doesn't HDMI 2.0 allow for up to 16 channels of audio output?

32 channel audio support:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

post #435 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:

Then don't worry about which movies they are.

ok......I would still probably watch them just to hear the audio though.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #436 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View PostCurrent BD players can technically deliver 11.1 via Auro-3D, TrueHD or DTS-HD MA. But not as PCM.

Cool but none of them decode them as of now!

My humble Cinema
post #437 of 893 Old 10-08-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

32 channel audio support:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Version_2.0

Ok.. Even better!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #438 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 19
hey to all.

Let me first start by stating that my system consists of the Denon 4520, and 11.2 audio. As my living room may not have been the best for the speaker placement. It does sound pretty good. Of course it does depends on which blu ray disc is being played.

I'm trying to figure out how i'd go about adding 1,2,3 4,5, (at least 1 anyways) speaker(s) over head. Not sure if adding to the front heights. Maybe with a some type of delay. Or stealing something from the sides. I don't know.

I've been reading through some of the pages here. Seems like i'm not alone. Ya, just upgrade the Denon via usb port adding 2 new channels. Making some type of dolby atmos hybrid.

I really don't know. Its I see a few of these home theater pictures that are posted from time to time. And I see sometimes people have a few speakers running down the center of the ceiling. (voice of god).

I'm sure that just adding speakers, stealing from front heights, or front wides or rears is not the way to go. Might even be worse than doing nothing. Or adding some type of capacitor to the ones I add up top to remove the bass. It might add more crackle to lightning effects etc etc bla bla bla....

Or is there some type of processor that I can run front heights, rear sides, into and create a new type of upper channel.....

I should have stayed in school....

I have 4 yrs to get this right. My daughters room becomes my H/T when she moves out....Its 17' x 25' And all block walls....I know that technology wont change any by then......
post #439 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Why do you want more speakers than the 11.2 you have now? Are you trying to have 2 speakers in place of one, per channel ( like 2 left height speakers instead of one )?

post #440 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 12:05 PM

If you are looking for an Atmos speaker position, it would be a stereo pair located just under the thirds, meaning if your row of seats is 12 feet wide you would mount the speakers a bit more than 4 feet in from each side. One stereo array goes above each row of seating you have. HERE is a link to Dolby Atmos professional cinema's technical guidelines.

But this also doesn't take into account the external DSP processing you would need to make something work. And without discrete content, the amount of benefit would be limited at best IMHO. Just love your system the way it is now!
Gary Lightfoot likes this.

post #441 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrybnbad View Post

Ya, just upgrade the Denon via usb port adding 2 new channels. Making some type of dolby atmos hybrid.
Ain't gonna happen. Will have to be a new receiver to do what you're describing.

Sanjay
post #442 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ya, just upgrade the Denon via usb port adding 2 new channels. Making some type of dolby atmos hybrid.

That's a new one on me !

post #443 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Hi TMcG,

Thanks for the Atmos link - the speaker placement info is very concise and useful - it even mentions a baffle wall set up and how the speaker components should be angled.

Cheers

Gary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

If you are looking for an Atmos speaker position, it would be a stereo pair located just under the thirds, meaning if your row of seats is 12 feet wide you would mount the speakers a bit more than 4 feet in from each side. One stereo array goes above each row of seating you have. HERE is a link to Dolby Atmos professional cinema's technical guidelines.

But this also doesn't take into account the external DSP processing you would need to make something work. And without discrete content, the amount of benefit would be limited at best IMHO. Just love your system the way it is now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #444 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM

i'll just say WOW
post #445 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

That's a new one on me !

If the Powers At Denon put some thought into it. I bet they could find a way to create some type of mini processor that would attach via usb, maybe the denon link too, attaching the front height, the rear sides, and create some new channel just for top center. Maybe 2 sets up top. Call them the Rain Speakers.

Hey, you heard it here first. maybe second, ......................................................................................3rd. The atmos Hybrid....15.2

Who knows maybe someone at Denon just said. "wow, great idea"
post #446 of 893 Old 10-10-2013, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe. But I'm finding 11.1 channels sounds just great as it is. Hell, I haven't even had them all going for hardly 6 months yet.................. smile.gif

post #447 of 893 Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Been so busy at work/kids/yada-yada, been a while since I've posted.
Here's an update to my 130" diag Scope HT (or UltraWide or 2.35:1 or ??) - full 11.3 via Denon 4520CI + Emotiva amp, and added fronts/wides for 11 mains/center/surrounds and 3 subs for LFE give a 11.3 set-up
(I have the IB 4 x 15" line array on Sub1 and both 18" and 15" SI cubes on Sub2, so technically a 11.2 I guess from a processor viewpoint).
Those 18" and 15" SI drivers in sealed cab's along front wall and side wall help flatten the in room response in my 2 row, 8 seat, 11.3 HT.

The panorama stitching in PSE made the curved look to the ceiling acoustic clouds, they are straight in real world.
HT%252011.3%2520cover%2520off%2520Pano-b.jpg

What do you use for playback of Blu-ray?

Missed this Q:
I use a PS3, works perfect and good for gaming also...biggrin.gif

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #448 of 893 Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Moving from 7.1 to 11.1 ( or .2 ) is a " chicken and the egg " sort of thing. I wouldn't have thought about doing it, crawling in the 110 degree F attic running new speaker wires, if I hadn't already bought a new Denon 4520 receiver. I didn't necessarily buy the 4520 for 11.2, I bought it for the Audyssey XT32. Of course, once I had the ability to have an 11.2 system, well, it was only a matter of time. smile.gif

I'm getting my Denon 4520 shortly, Craig. I have the Denon 3313 in my main home theater room now, and it won't do height and wide speakers at the same time, nor DTS Neo:X. When I remodeled my home theater room recently, I wired for both wide and height, and I've had to choose between the two. My remodel all but eliminated the possibility of doing rear surrounds, so the 9 amps in the 4520 will suffice. smile.gif I've toyed with separate amps a bit, but I'm so incredibly happy with the sound of the Denon receivers I've owned in the past that I have no desire to go that route.

Joe Clark

post #449 of 893 Old 11-15-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Quote:

I'm getting my Denon 4520 shortly, Craig. I have the Denon 3313 in my main home theater room now, and it won't do height and wide speakers at the same time, nor DTS Neo:X. When I remodeled my home theater room recently, I wired for both wide and height, and I've had to choose between the two. My remodel all but eliminated the possibility of doing rear surrounds, so the 9 amps in the 4520 will suffice. smile.gif I've toyed with separate amps a bit, but I'm so incredibly happy with the sound of the Denon receivers I've owned in the past that I have no desire to go that route.

congrats Joesph on soon having your 4520 biggrin.gif , mine 11 months old and looking fwd to at least 5+ years of use from it in the HT.
Mine is 24/7 on DTS Neo:X mode wide/height , watched Battle LA last night on bluray, sounded great.
>>The LFE on some of those scenes is classic! Decent story also.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #450 of 893 Old 11-15-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

congrats Joesph on soon having your 4520 biggrin.gif , mine 11 months old and looking fwd to at least 5+ years of use from it in the HT.
Mine is 24/7 on DTS Neo:X mode wide/height , watched Battle LA last night on bluray, sounded great.
>>The LFE on some of those scenes is classic! Decent story also.

I'm really looking forward to trying DTS Neo:X. I've been using Audyssey wides almost exclusively, because they fill in a "hole" between the mains and surrounds, but I appreciate what heights can do. It's frustrating not being able to experience both at the same time. My 4520 should be fully configured in 2-3 weeks.

Joe Clark

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Panamax , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page