Moving past 7.1 into 9.1/11.x/3D ObjectAudio in HT via AudysseyDSX/DolbyPLIIz/DTS Neo:X™/Auro-3D - Page 29 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 893 Old 05-04-2014, 09:14 PM
Just add water and stir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Okay back on topic then.

I placed full range towers tonight into my 11.1 system. What difference the extra dynamics offered up!

Anyone considering full range towers, give it a shot!

Scott Simonian likes this.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
 |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 893 Old 05-04-2014, 09:17 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 802
^^^^^^^^

Props.

Now you just have to start treating your actual center channel with as much dignity. biggrin.gif
zuluwalker likes this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #843 of 893 Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Spam

Posted

Scott Simonian and zuluwalker like this.
post #844 of 893 Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 449 Post(s)
Liked: 802
zuluwalker and ambesolman like this.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #845 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 01:44 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post

Okay back on topic then.

I placed full range towers tonight into my 11.1 system. What difference the extra dynamics offered up!

Anyone considering full range towers, give it a shot!

Really cool so you have 11 towers surrounding you? biggrin.gif

It would be too expensive to do that with B&W 802Diamonds seven is all that I can afford smile.gif
zuluwalker likes this.

My humble Cinema
post #846 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
^^^^ Holy crap that was arrogant! biggrin.gif

For real though.... I bet it sounds amazing! Good for you!
Schwa and zuluwalker like this.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #847 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Infliction View Post^^^^ Holy crap that was arrogant! biggrin.gif

For real though.... I bet it sounds amazing! Good for you!
zuluwalker likes this.

My humble Cinema
post #848 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Haha. Nice
zuluwalker likes this.

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #849 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Just add water and stir

Haha

Things have taken a turn for the better around here.

|
 |
|
 |
post #850 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Yes if any one is any good with Photoshop, I would love to see a two channels with the Diamond tweeter and the Marlan head. I could see them hanging from the ceiling like in Alien :)

T

My humble Cinema
post #851 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 06:41 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Really cool so you have 11 towers surrounding you? biggrin.gif

It would be too expensive to do that with B&W 802Diamonds seven is all that I can afford smile.gif

I mis-spoke; what I meant to say was I added two towers to my wides tonight. I have a total of four towers in the front of the room. And four on wall surrounds and rears.

|
 |
|
 |
post #852 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 09:26 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View PostI mis-spoke; what I meant to say was I added two towers to my wides tonight. I have a total of four towers in the front of the room. And four on wall surrounds and rears.

Great so 9 around, how do you find the four towers upfront?

My humble Cinema
post #853 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 09:28 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

When I get an AV pre/pro that can do DTS NEoX 11.2 I will use my 802s for the front and probably add a pair 805D for the rear!

I wonder if any of the high end pre/pro will ever adopt DTS Neo X, might have to buy a Marantz?

My humble Cinema
post #854 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 09:32 PM
Just add water and stir

Quote:

Great so 9 around, how do you find the four towers upfront?

Eleven speakers, I never changed the heights. The addition of towers to my wide placement was sensational. The additonal dynamics presented were just fantastic. I believe I may have been formerly using too small a speaker. This was amazing.

|
 |
|
 |
post #855 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 376
Quote:

When I get an AV pre/pro that can do DTS NEoX 11.2 I will use my 802s for the front and probably add a pair 805D for the rear!

I wonder if any of the high end pre/pro will ever adopt DTS Neo X, might have to buy a Marantz?

The denon 4520 can do it. Not a prepro but can be run as one with an extra amp for 11.1
post #856 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

The Datasat RS20i and LS10 pre/pros both support DTS Neo:X.
post #857 of 893 Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 243
"Sensational" is an understatement.

I promise that folks are gonna LOVE 20+ channels. It can easily be done affordably and therefore will be accessible. This debate about how many channels is "too many" is going to be moot within 10 years once folks have actually heard these systems in small scale environments.

Blazar!
post #858 of 893 Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post

The Datasat RS20i and LS10 pre/pros both support DTS Neo:X.

DATASAT is too expensive for now, may be in a few years when the price comes down wink.gif

Unlike speakers and amplifiers that can last 10 + years processors are obsolete with in three years mad.gif

My humble Cinema
post #859 of 893 Old 05-06-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Agreed, I couldn't find myself pulling the trigger on a Datasat when the Marantz 8801 with an extra height layer of duplicated speakers with Neo X did such an amazing job...
zuluwalker likes this.

Blazar!
post #860 of 893 Old 05-06-2014, 07:35 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View PostAgreed, I couldn't find myself pulling the trigger on a Datasat when the Marantz 8801 with an extra height layer of duplicated speakers with Neo X did such an amazing job...

You have the 8801?

My humble Cinema
post #861 of 893 Old 05-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Just add water and stir

I have an AV8801, and it is great!

|
 |
|
 |
post #862 of 893 Old 05-07-2014, 03:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

Agreed, I couldn't find myself pulling the trigger on a Datasat when the Marantz 8801 with an extra height layer of duplicated speakers with Neo X did such an amazing job...

I think it is less the 11.2 options (though the Datasat can do up to 24 channels and / or active crossovers) - a really unique feature to avoid the issues to sound caused by the passive crossovers in all speakers. Not to mention DIRAC live... room correction is where it's at and all is done in the digital domain. Moreover, it will have Auro which by all accounts will be superior to Neo X and with its open architecture, should be able to install Atmos when it's likely announced at CEDIA this year.

My issues with the Datasat is only 4 HDMI inputs and one output... and the cost:D

I'm just ordering my speakers for a 11.5 set up (have the subs). Should be fun!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #863 of 893 Old 05-07-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

I think it is less the 11.2 options (though the Datasat can do up to 24 channels and / or active crossovers) - a really unique feature to avoid the issues to sound caused by the passive crossovers in all speakers. Not to mention DIRAC live... room correction is where it's at and all is done in the digital domain. Moreover, it will have Auro which by all accounts will be superior to Neo X and with its open architecture, should be able to install Atmos when it's likely announced at CEDIA this year.

My issues with the Datasat is only 4 HDMI inputs and one output... and the cost:D

I'm just ordering my speakers for a 11.5 set up (have the subs). Should be fun!

I would love to do a surround setup with around 25 channels with DIY speakers without crossovers and the processor take care of the rest... Just add a buttload of amps...

Blazar!
post #864 of 893 Old 05-07-2014, 03:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post

I would love to do a surround setup with around 25 channels with DIY speakers without crossovers and the processor take care of the rest... Just add a buttload of amps...

In my smallish room, I think 11.5 wil lbe plenty... though if Atmos allows more, I'd like to add Side-Fronts.

I'm ordering my speakers this week and will have to wait 6 weeks for delivery (as they are a custom order) but after that, I hope to enter audio nirvana!biggrin.gif
zuluwalker likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #865 of 893 Old 05-07-2014, 04:04 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View PostI think it is less the 11.2 options (though the Datasat can do up to 24 channels and / or active crossovers) - a really unique feature to avoid the issues to sound caused by the passive crossovers in all speakers. Not to mention DIRAC live... room correction is where it's at and all is done in the digital domain. Moreover, it will have Auro which by all accounts will be superior to Neo X and with its open architecture, should be able to install Atmos when it's likely announced at CEDIA this year.

My issues with the Datasat is only 4 HDMI inputs and one output... and the cost:D  I'm just ordering my speakers for a 11.5 set up (have the subs). Should be fun!

Yes if the cost was less than $5,000 and have two HDMi output then it would be a no brainer

And this is really cool http://www.cnet.com/news/40-bowers-wilkins-speakers-and-the-art-of-sound/

What types of speakers?

Once Auro 3D and ATMOS are available in 2015!

I will probably add a pair of 805Diamond for the back making my room 9.2 on the ground and 3 B&W AM-1 speakers for the height + 2 Ceiling speakers total 13.2 that will do it for me

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Custom_Installation/CI_Series/AM-1.html

ambesolman likes this.

My humble Cinema
post #866 of 893 Old 05-07-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes if the cost was less than $5,000 and have two HDMi output then it would be a no brainer

And this is really cool http://www.cnet.com/news/40-bowers-wilkins-speakers-and-the-art-of-sound/

What types of speakers?

Once Auro 3D and ATMOS are available in 2015!

I will probably add a pair of 805Diamond for the back making my room 9.2 on the ground and 3 B&W AM-1 speakers for the height + 2 Ceiling speakers total 13.2 that will do it for me

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Custom_Installation/CI_Series/AM-1.html

My biggest issue in choosing speakers is output of speakers. Sure the LCRs will hit 115db but with Auro or Atmos, the codec can and will send an LCR signal to any or all of the surrounds or heights - meaning that those speakers must be beefier or they might blow up / distort. The 3-D sound field requires more output and power. The B&W speakers you pointed to show a 86 db sensitivity. Likely they might barely make it to 90 db at 100 Hz crossover! You might have to go BIGGER!!biggrin.gif
zuluwalker likes this.

post #867 of 893 Old 05-07-2014, 04:32 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View PostMy biggest issue in choosing speakers is output of speakers. Sure the LCRs will hit 115db but with Auro or Atmos, the codec can and will send an LCR signal to any or all of the surrounds or heights - meaning that those speakers must be beefier or they might blow up / distort. The 3-D sound field requires more output and power. The B&W speakers you pointed to show a 86 db sensitivity. Likely they might barely make it to 90 db at 100 Hz crossover! You might have to go BIGGER!!biggrin.gif

That's going to be tough but may be I should just go with these 

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/HTM2-Diamond.html

My humble Cinema
post #868 of 893 Old 05-09-2014, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Perhaps if you're well up in speaker count with a full Auro or Atmos system in the home, a coaxial solution might be an easier and more practical way to go.

Maintaining timbre matching with surrounds, heights and/or over heads using these............

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/coaxial-speaker-kits/v10-volt-kit.html

I'd keep my large horns for the screen channels (and front heights) but I like the co-axial speaker concept for everything else. Seems like an easier proposition than multiple drivers in a cabinet if you're wanting to put matching transducers throughout the room - particularly those going over head.

Having said that though, I'm sure just how important the whole timbre matching thing is given the capabilities of room correction these days.
ellisr63 and SanchoPanza like this.
post #869 of 893 Old 05-09-2014, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a variety of speakers for mains and surrounds and the whole thing sounds great with audyssey running.

There is so much going on you wont notice slight speaker differences for the most part.

Your coaxial idea should work great

Blazar!
post #870 of 893 Old 05-09-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes - 11. 1 should be fun. My theater has been down for about 3 months since testing speakers and the Trinnov MC. I have a ton of missed films from Ron Howard's Rush, to the new Hunger Games to Gravity. Haven't seen any of them. It'll be likely July before the speakers arrive and then I make a determination to purchase a Datasat or hold off a couple months for a Trinnov Altitude. For now I have 5 Seaton Submersives sitting idle...mad.gif
zuluwalker likes this.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Panamax , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page