Moving past 7.1 into 9.1/11.x/3D ObjectAudio in HT via AudysseyDSX/DolbyPLIIz/DTS Neo:X™/Auro-3D - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 893 Old 05-09-2014, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What are the pro's and cons of an Altitude vs a Datasat? Have you tried both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 893 Old 05-10-2014, 02:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikas View Post

What are the pro's and cons of an Altitude vs a Datasat? Have you tried both?

Datasat

Pros: It can do Auro, NEO X and has an open architecture, excellent DACs, great company support. A professional product modded for home. It has a very sophisticated room correction (DIRAC) and from all reviews here at AVS and in various review sites, is the gold standard SSP currently. Easily design/modify target curve
Cons: Price with Auro, mic ($22K) and only 1 HDMI out. Up to 24 channels. Can do active crossovers. Very good mic for auto set up.

Trinnov Altitude

Pros: Uses the most sophisticated room correction - regarded as best my many observers (including myself as I had a 2 month trial or similar Trinnov MC). Will have Auro, NEO X, and will be open architecture (for future Atmos), etc. 8 HDMI 2 Outs. Up to 48 channels. Can do active crossovers. Good mic for auto set up. Most tweakable of any room correction device. Great support and calibration via VNC remotely from Trinnov is included.

Cons: Not yet available (Sept/Oct). Very expensive Price (~$27K but could be more or less) always a worry buying a 1st gen processor (though Trinnov Room Correction has been around awhile and is very stable - HDMI is new to Trinnov).

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #873 of 893 Old 05-11-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebland

Datasat

Pros: It can do Auro, NEO X and has an open architecture, excellent DACs, great company support. A professional product modded for home. It has a very sophisticated room correction (DIRAC) and from all reviews here at AVS and in various review sites, is the gold standard SSP currently. Easily design/modify target curve
Cons: Price with Auro, mic ($22K) and only 1 HDMI out. Up to 24 channels. Can do active crossovers. Very good mic for auto set up.

Trinnov Altitude

Pros: Uses the most sophisticated room correction - regarded as best my many observers (including myself as I had a 2 month trial or similar Trinnov MC). Will have Auro, NEO X, and will be open architecture (for future Atmos), etc. 8 HDMI 2 Outs. Up to 48 channels. Can do active crossovers. Good mic for auto set up. Most tweakable of any room correction device. Great support and calibration via VNC remotely from Trinnov is included.

Cons: Not yet available (Sept/Oct). Very expensive Price (~$27K but could be more or less) always a worry buying a 1st gen processor (though Trinnov Room Correction has been around awhile and is very stable - HDMI is new to Trinnov).

Thanks for posting such a comprehensive reply and it clears up a number of questions I've had about these two competing technologies.

So, what are you doing as regards readying your cinema for Auro or Atmos in-so-far as speaker placement/addition is concerned?

You've mentioned the 5 Seaton Catalysts which are all fronts - right? What about front heights and surrounds? What are you planning or using for these? Have you got as far as thinking about over heads and rear/side heights for Auro implementation?

Atmos for home is still sometime off I think.......
post #874 of 893 Old 05-11-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikas View Post

Thanks for posting such a comprehensive reply and it clears up a number of questions I've had about these two competing technologies.

So, what are you doing as regards readying your cinema for Auro or Atmos in-so-far as speaker placement/addition is concerned?

You've mentioned the 5 Seaton Catalysts which are all fronts - right? What about front heights and surrounds? What are you planning or using for these? Have you got as far as thinking about over heads and rear/side heights for Auro implementation?

Atmos for home is still sometime off I think.......

Hi.

I have 5 Seaton Submersives. Not Catalysts.

I'm planning an 11.5 set up. Auro set up. 7.1 + 2 front heights and 2 side heights. Using Quested speakers and amps.

Look for Dolby announcement at CEDIA.
zuluwalker likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #875 of 893 Old 05-12-2014, 03:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked: 1518
post #876 of 893 Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Datasat

Trinnov Altitude

Nice hopefully one day these will come down to earth! I think not but then again, Kaleidescape has in some limited fashion.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #877 of 893 Old 05-15-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this is cool but the cost alone for a decent 7.1 to 9.1 is at least 1-2k in speaker and amps another 1.2k from 9.1 to 11.1 then if you have a older system timber matching the new speakers plus a new preamp

if you are lucky enough to be irish you are lucky enough
post #878 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Just add water and stir

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 467
Well Atmos has been announced for two days now, products on their way to a Home Theater near you.

What does this mean for DTS? Will MDA be soon to follow? Or will they cling to Neo:X, of which I own a processor using it.

Exciting times indeed gentlemen. These are new water for Home Theater enthusiasts. We are making a giant leap into X,Y,Z.
post #879 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 10:44 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 732
Damn right!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #880 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 10:47 AM
Just add water and stir

Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishgonzo View Post
this is cool but the cost alone for a decent 7.1 to 9.1 is at least 1-2k in speaker and amps another 1.2k from 9.1 to 11.1 then if you have a older system timber matching the new speakers plus a new preamp

I fear to say, that those estimates may even be considered low.

Upgrading to more than 7 speakers, required amps per channel, and then processor requires a commitment that is a No Fear level of drive. Of course, much can be done on any budget, but results for which we dream of, take a pound of flesh too.

My buddy reminds me this is a Sport of Kings. Though I doubt many royalty are into Home Theater, I understand the sentiment.

Now, if I could find a way to get my dogs to earn money while I am away at work, I would have another two incomes to count!
post #881 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 11:15 AM
Just add water and stir

With Atmos now on the field, and my current Neo:X at the plate, how should I be approaching wide speakers?

At current placement, my wides have brought a lot to the movie experience, but will they be adopted by other technologies such as MDA, or Atmos, and Auro-3D?

Not to sure if the investment in wide speakers is necessarily worth while? Thoughts?
post #882 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
With Atmos now on the field, and my current Neo:X at the plate, how should I be approaching wide speakers?
Looks like "not at all", as the first gen atmos@home seems to support either Neo:X or DSX 11.x speaker placements only, not both at once for 13.x. So you're cool for now.
zuluwalker likes this.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #883 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluwalker View Post
Well Atmos has been announced for two days now, products on their way to a Home Theater near you.

What does this mean for DTS? Will MDA be soon to follow? Or will they cling to Neo:X, of which I own a processor using it.

Exciting times indeed gentlemen. These are new water for Home Theater enthusiasts. We are making a giant leap into X,Y,Z.
I personally would wait a little while to buy an Atmos avr. Especially since the only ones out are the Onkyo's. The format might change and those Onkyo avr's that have Atmos don't have auddy xt32. i would wait to see what Denon/Marantz has to offer.
zuluwalker likes this.

MY THEATER......The Thompson Theater 11.9 channels

"Is not love not unlike the unlikely not it is unlikened to?"
- Leon Phelps
post #884 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by Pain Infliction.

I personally would wait a little while to buy an Atmos avr. Especially since the only ones out are the Onkyo's. The format might change and those Onkyo avr's that have Atmos don't have auddy xt32. i would wait to see what Denon/Marantz has to offer.

Probably good advice. I'm personally feeling a little underwhelmed by the Atmos receiver offerings that we've just read about. I think there may potentially be some better object based solutions coming from SRS. Time will tell though.....
post #885 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwikas View Post
Originally posted by Pain Infliction.

Probably good advice. I'm personally feeling a little underwhelmed by the Atmos receiver offerings that we've just read about. I think there may potentially be some better object based solutions coming from SRS. Time will tell though.....
You mean, DTS.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #886 of 893 Old 06-24-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
You mean, DTS.

Yeah Dan. DTS it is.

I don't know. After reading about what's been proposed by Onkyo for Atmos equipped receivers, I just expected more. And I don't think Marantz et al will be that much different from Onkyo but of course that's pure speculation on my part at the moment.

Maybe I'd hyped it up in my own mind too much. I really wanted/expected to see a domestic Atmos type configuration with a higher speaker count (like an Auro 13.1 over head lay out).

It seems to me that Dolby have made this as simple an option as possible to get into the domestic market. I just think it could have been so much more - although I do understand the consumer wallet argument.

Anyway, hopefully the other competing technologies are close behind so it's not as though we'll have to choose the Dolby object based technology if we think another offering is better.........rant off.
post #887 of 893 Old 06-25-2014, 03:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

OUTPUT REQUIREMENTS OF HEIGHT SPEAKERS?

The way the speakers are described, the heights in particular, they will be low power and low output due to size and the fact that they are in ceiling.

I may've gone over board but all my speakers in my Quasi- 11.5 system will reach over 105 db at the listening position
zuluwalker likes this.

post #888 of 893 Old 07-26-2014, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone nuts after the ATMOS announcement.

Was a definitive choice between heights and wides ever made? If you guys have to give up either rears vs. wides for ATMOS (I assume heights would be redundant), which are you going to give up? It seems the cost differential between 7.2.4 and 9.2.4 is pretty high for the first gen of AVRs.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #889 of 893 Old 07-26-2014, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
If you guys have to give up either rears vs. wides for ATMOS (I assume heights would be redundant), which are you going to give up?
Starting with a 5.1 set-up, I would add speaker pairs in the following order: rears, front heights, rear heights, then wides. I get enough phantom imaging between my fronts and sides that wides would be lowest on my priority list. Not that I wouldn't use them, but there are other locations I would fill in first.
Schwa likes this.

Sanjay
post #890 of 893 Old 07-26-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I assumed the heights would be covered by ATMOS. Is that not the case?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #891 of 893 Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
I assumed the heights would be covered by ATMOS. Is that not the case?
So are wides. But I would give them up for Atmos, since they are low on my priority list.

Sanjay
post #892 of 893 Old 07-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I am going to follow Floyd Toole's suggestion and put the Surrounds @ +/-75° and the Rear Surrounds @ +/- 135°. This way, the need for Wides is no longer there. I just tweaked the layout and it seems perfect, no wide gap in front. There's a 90° spacing between both Rears, but that is also in line with what Toole suggests...

This leaves room for 4 Top speakers in 7.2.4 configuration.
Roger Dressler likes this.

Building a HT with 7.2.4 layout and ◤SEOS-24◥ LCR.
post #893 of 893 Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Wowzers?!?!?!

This?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Kwikas

Trinnov Altitude

or this?

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/trim/gt/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model_BillboardImage_8801EF28-86AD-A34E-75BB-A34D75BBA34D.jpg (69.8 KB, 4 views)
J_P_A likes this.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Panamax , Audyssey
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page