Moving past 7.1 into 9.1/11.x/3D ObjectAudio in HT via AudysseyDSX/DolbyPLIIz/DTS Neo:X™/Auro-3D - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 893 Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 290
[edit March-15-2014, added Auro-3D to title, as I'll be doing this in future..Dolby Atmos/DTS-UHD™ have not made clear their Home Theater strategy - yet]
I'm sure many here have built their Dedicated Home Theater to 7.1 (or 5.1) surround sound, did nice job pre-routing the speaker wire's in wall for integrated look, and lived with it for a few years.

And now with Audyssey DSX and its competition Dolby Pro Logic IIz / DTS Neo:X™ in the market for a few years, some of you are like me and considering "upgrade" time.

Audyssey visual:

This visual from my Denon 4520CI manual, makes it easier to grasp all the 7.1/9.1/11.1 speaker layout.

Here is the DTS Neo:X™ visual:

Here is the Auro-3D visual:
http://www.auro-3d.com/system/concept/
Quote: Top Layer : Situated directly above the listener. Enhances the realism of fly-over effects by creating a bridge with the Height Layer. This combination produces an enveloping sphere or 'cocoon of sound' around the listener.
Height Layer (40° above the Lower Layer): The most important layer in the creation of immersive sound AROUND the listener. The capturing of ambient reflections in this layer allows Auro-3D® to deliver a more natural sound & improve sound source localization.
Lower Layer (0°-20°): 2D horizontal plane where ear-level source sounds are located.

Home Theater (small rooms); Auro 10.1 (+ Top Ceiling / VOG)
Quote: 100% compatibility between all Auro-3D® listening formats have a Height Channel above and around the listener, which is crucial to a fully immersive experience.
This is unattainable with only a Top Layer.

Dolby Atmos layout info added:

Therefore this thread is for those that have already upgraded to Audyssey DSX or Dolby PL IIz / DTS Neo:X™, or plan to upgrade, and to post what they did or will do;
-decision methods used to determine which route to take; "wide" or "height" or both.
-hiding new un-planned speaker cables; I'm guessing most will not route thru walls rather try and hide them "creatively", so I'd like to see that
-hanging un-planned speakers; brackets used DIY vs already made ones
-While not focusing on the New AVR planning and buying phase, if also decision on Ext amp then location and integration of that into your already planned rack/media area
-Acoustic treatment considerations
-etc

and.....frank assessment of that...simply was it "worth it" :
-did the "experience" improve in your viewpoint, also your wife/sig/kids viewpoint

My HT, done in 2008, has 7.1 via Denon 4308CI, and now I'm shortly buying the new Denon 4520CI and going at least 9.1, possibly 11.1

There are threads on DSX and PL IIz / DTS Neo:X™ in the "Receivers, AMPs, and Processors forum" , so I don't want to duplicate those, rather add to them from the construction viewpoint then impressions captured also.
[edit 10/30/2012]
I'll be posting my DSX questions in the "Official" Audyssey thread, http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/off...#post_22539710
[edit 11/25/2012]
Denon 4520CI owners manual speaker layout visual added, info on DTS Neo:X added

[edit Nov-8-2013] added final room picture

and final room layout

Last edited by mtbdudex; 07-27-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 893 Old 10-26-2012, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

reserve 1;
As key info/stuff gets noted in this thread I'll re-post below for FAQ

J_P_A asked in post 8:
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Do you have any information regarding the tolerances for the wides and heights speaker locations? The columns that I would like to prewire for wides will be closer to 70 degrees than the 60 degrees recommended. I know those diagrams are really intended to be general locations, but it's tough to find much information on the ranges that will provide acceptable results.
Response post 19:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Feedback from Chris on the placement tolerances for DSX:
Quote:
"Chris Kyriakakis"
Tolerance for Wides azimuth angle is ±10°. Elevation should be ear height.
For Heights we recommend: "slightly wider than the fronts and as high up as possible on the front wall".

Demo material - so far I've gotten these recommendations:
A-DSX:
1) the attack scene from Pearl Harbor (especially the right to left fly by).
2) Ch. 2 of Wall*E where he's roaming the empty streets with background music (listen for the improved opening pan from LSurr to front).
3) Range also has a great rain scene that is very immersive.

DTS Neo:X
4) Expendables 2 which has a 7.1 mix specially optimized for DTS Neo:X 11.1. It is very impressive
5) DREDD also has 7.1 mix specially optimized for DTS Neo:X 11.1

[edit]
added demo material
post #3 of 893 Old 10-26-2012, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 149
I don't have a (de-)coder for these formats, but as I am constructing a 'theater' currently, I do plan those channels into the big scheme of things. Already have speakers for them too, so I will connect them all the way to a panel next to the electronics for the day I do get a pre-pro or receiver than can do it.

The main problem with these channels is if you don't have a big room both in width and height, you'll have quite uneven channel levels for off-center seating. I think that this will force many to use non-optimal angles for placement with the resulting less optimal steering.

For everyone who hasn't already done the math... first do a quick look at your room where you'd like to put your front highs, then compare that to where 45 degrees to the side, 45 degrees up really is...

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #4 of 893 Old 10-30-2012, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have the Denon 4520CI on order along with 2 pairs of bookshelf speakers to add to my 7.1 set-up, expect those within next 2 weeks.
My Emotiva XPA-3 | 200W x 3 amp will be delivered Wednesday Oct, 31.

Based on a facebook discussion with Chris @ Audyssey, I will be adding the wide speaker first, then the height speaker.
Quote:
"Mike R";Chris - my dedicated basement HT room has appropriate acoustic treatments at 1st side wall/ceiling reflections for both 1st and 2nd row, verified via ETC.
I see on your FAQ for DSX you recommend wides before heights.
In this case, is it "ok" to go with heights directly on top of my 7.1 set-up since my walls have treatments on them already?
Quote:
"Chris Kyriakakis"; I would still push for Wides.
It doesn't matter that you have treatments there.
The wides (small bookshelves) can be on a stand right in front of them. Their benefit is just so much bigger than Heights...
Quote:
"Mike R";Thx, so I'll tackle wides first before going to heights.
I'll get the 4520, set-up my current 7.1 wiring, + the front wides , run audyssey in 9.1 mode.
I might hold off buying 2nd pair of speakers for the front heights, because that also means getting an external amp....
Now, can I then for A/B comparison turn off the Front Wides and listen to some 6.1 track, then turn on the wides and re-listen for quick A/B?
I assume the Denon 4520 and your Audyssey can handle it like that. Honestly, I can see many people would like to demo at my home for next home theater group meet just like that.
Quote:
"Chris Kyriakakis"; Sure, you can turn DSX on and off from the menu
post #5 of 893 Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also had discussion with Chris related to DSX and HT acoustic treatments.
Quote:
"Mike R"; Chris - this is follow-up to my prior question, related but different;
For DSX wide/height, and relative to acoustic treatments, what is Audyssey position on them?
I use the RFZ model, my HT has acoustic treatments for traditional front sound stage Front R/C/L verified by ETC graphs.
Shall I also run ETC charts and create RFZ for the wide/height speakers?
Quote:
"Mike R"; Has your team done without and with acoustic treatments A vs B analysis for the wide/height speakers when placed into a already established RFZ model HT?
I'm guessing this falls into the psycho-acoustic preference data gathering realm....
Quote:
"Chris Kyriakakis"; The same rules apply to the W and H speakers: room reflections are bad.
Quote:
"Mike R"; Thx for quick answer, so I'll install them, use them, then run ETC charts to determine location(s) that need treatment.

Please - don't take Chris comment to flame this thread on room reflections good or bad, I know he meant that within the context of my RFZ question in our facebook conversation.
post #6 of 893 Old 10-30-2012, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
MIke,

Just subscribed. Thanks for starting this thread!

I am one of those you mention; considering moving beyond 7.1 to 9.1 or 11.1....
Fortunately during my build I ran an extra set of runs for my L/R mains (thinking someday i might want to try bi-amping - never happened - so now I might have a use for these extra wiring runs) smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #7 of 893 Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Took today as vacation day, kids in school and later the Halloween thing with them.
Plus....I knew this was also arriving today biggrin.gif
My 1st gear for this journey just arrived 30 minutes ago!
photo.JPG

It's in the big box, the Emotiva XPA-3.
Time to re-locate gear in the rack, I'll wait till the 4520CI comes, hopefully within 2 weeks.
The XPA-3 will go up high, just below the 4520CI.
It will plug into my 20A Furman PS-Pro series II, which has delayed outlets.

Also a side project, basement audio related, I bought a used Valley Tiger slate top pool table 2 weeks ago, so had to move the zone2 audio to have stereo over that.
Doing it right now.
photo2.JPG

Heck - when this 11.x journey is done I might be game for another HEMI meet at my place, Spring 2013? 2 years since the last one.
post #8 of 893 Old 10-31-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked: 267
I love it when Santa dresses like the UPS man smile.gif

Do you have any information regarding the tolerances for the wides and heights speaker locations? The columns that I would like to prewire for wides will be closer to 70 degrees than the 60 degrees recommended. I know those diagrams are really intended to be general locations, but it's tough to find much information on the ranges that will provide acceptable results.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #9 of 893 Old 10-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I recently moved from 7.1 to 11.2 and I also followed part of the discussion on facebook (Audyssey Tech Talk). I agree with Chris (100%) that wides are substantially more of an impact that heights. I lucked into my height speakers, but if I were buying speakers knowing what I know now, I would save my money and go 9.2.

I recently got irule running and added all the Audyssey toggles for the different effects which has allowed me to instantly turn heights/wides on/off w/o needing to go into the menus. The wides stand out, but the heights are just barely noticeable. Unfortunately wides are A LOT more difficult for most people to implement b/c of the placement. I suspect this is why most people go heights first or don't bother at all.

Because I need to rebuild my columns to fit my wide speakers, my wides are at about 45 degrees and I notice the improvement. I'm guessing moving them back to 60 will make it even better. I also run all Emotiva power (XPA5+UPA2+UPA2+UPA2) w/ a Denon 4311.
post #10 of 893 Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleyc View Post

I recently moved from 7.1 to 11.2 and I also followed part of the discussion on facebook (Audyssey Tech Talk). I agree with Chris (100%) that wides are substantially more of an impact that heights. I lucked into my height speakers, but if I were buying speakers knowing what I know now, I would save my money and go 9.2.
I recently got irule running and added all the Audyssey toggles for the different effects which has allowed me to instantly turn heights/wides on/off w/o needing to go into the menus. The wides stand out, but the heights are just barely noticeable. Unfortunately wides are A LOT more difficult for most people to implement b/c of the placement. I suspect this is why most people go heights first or don't bother at all.
Because I need to rebuild my columns to fit my wide speakers, my wides are at about 45 degrees and I notice the improvement. I'm guessing moving them back to 60 will make it even better. I also run all Emotiva power (XPA5+UPA2+UPA2+UPA2) w/ a Denon 4311.

Pauleyc,
Good info. thanks for sharing! I know that I have a good (and easy) location to mount a right-wide speaker, however - tonight I need to check the possibility for a left -wide smile.gif

Going a little off-topic:
How easy is it to go with i-rule? (I am currently running a Harmony1, and have a patience problem with anything that gets too "software-related, or too PC intensive)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #11 of 893 Old 10-31-2012, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I’m in this category as well. I am currently building my dream theater (the build thread is: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1406831/hawaii-home-theater-construction ) and decided early on to expand my horizons and go with a 11.4 system. Here is my equipment:
Equipment:
Aerial Acoustics 20T Mains in birds-eye-maple
Aerial Acoustics CC5 center speaker in Birds-eye-maple
Aerial Acoustics LR5’s for wides
Pending: Aerial Acoustics 5b’s (for heights when pre/pro is released that does all 11.4)
Aerial Acoustics SW12 subwoofer X 4 in Birds-eye-maple (1 in each corner)
Aerial Acoustics SR3 surrounds

Kaleidescape 3U Movie server
Kaleidescape M700 Disc Vault

Sony VPL-VW1000ES 4K Projector

ISCO Anamorphic Lens on a Cineslide

Stewart Filmscreen, 2.35 aspect, 11.5 ft width with side masking

Bryston 6SST2 500Wx3 in 4 ohms (Mains)
Bryston 4SST2 for wides
Parasound 5250 250x5 in 8 ohms (surrounds)

Integra 80.2 Pre/Pro

Torus Power CS 25 AVR power conditioner

Panamax MB1500 UPS power conditioner and projector battery backup

Directv HD DVR

Fortress seating (palladium)- two rows
Kinetics IsoMAX wall and ceiling sound isolation

The Theater dimensions are LxWxH: 26 x 19 x 9. This is the usual point of discussion for this topic; is the room big enough for all the speakers? I’m hoping mine is but time will tell (my room isn’t done yet). Also, there has yet to be a pre/pro that can do all 11.4 channels, at least to my knowledge. Until then I will run with a 9.4 system. Has anyone heard anything more about that?
post #12 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post

Bryston 6SST2 500Wx3 in 4 ohms (Mains)
Bryston 4SST2 for wides

Ye-haa - that's serious amplification! Wonderful. That's definitely outside my budget, but I'm going for the closest I can get in amplifier transparency I can in my price range.

You're well set to upgrade to something with less coloration than the Integra later on.

post #13 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I love it when Santa dresses like the UPS man smile.gif

Good Q!
I've asked Chris - below - and will post his response:
Quote:
Chris - like many dedicated home theatres I'd say most are built with "traditional" 5.x or 7.x speaker arrangement. Trying to implement your DSX for 9.x or 11.x may/will be challenging for some due to existing "stuff"; acoustic treatments, floor/ceiling columns, front stage infrastructure, etc.
Therefore, knowing that what "tolerance" do you recommend as supplement to your guide of 60 deg off center @ ear height for the front wides and 45 deg off center and 45 deg up for the front heights? example; is plus/minus 5 deg still within acceptable zone?
Have you a "out of bounds" guide? example; it would say for the front wides if you are more than "x deg" or less than "y deg" don't even do it, etc.
dsx_480x335_tolerance.JPG

Quote:

Thx for feedback, I've placed the order for (2) pairs bookshelf monitors for my wide/height.
Will proceed with the wides first as phase1 of this project, and then as phase2 temporary put the heights there and see their increased impact.
If not percieved the incremental value I'll return them to my Brick& Mortar dealer (nice thing about working with local store) and stick with the wides only.

btw, you have to post a pict of your Emotiva stack, way cool (or a link to your build/etc that shows them)
post #14 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Thanks Nightlord. I actually have one 6BSST2 and two 4BSST2's, one for the wides and one for the heights (if and when a pre/pro ever gets released that actually does all 11.4 channels). Until then I'll have one of the 4bSST2 just running one of the rear surround pairs. A bit of overkill so I'm hoping something is released soon. They've all been sitting new in their boxes for a few months now and it's killing me that it's taking sooooooo long to finish the theater. In the end I've still had a lot of fun putting all my effort into this project. You never know what you can do until you try!!!

Looking at the chart closely I don't know why I never noticed that the heights need to be set at 45 degree elevation. It's not a problem as the room is still under construction but it will mean that my original plan will need to be modified as the speakers will need to be a lot closer than originally planned.

Is there anyone out there that has built a room in size similar to mine 26x19x9 and running heights? If so, your thoughts?
post #15 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

btw, you have to post a pict of your Emotiva stack, way cool (or a link to your build/etc that shows them)

Not a great pic in the show me thread. This was before I added my final UPA2

http://www.avsforum.com/t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1200#post_21761160
post #16 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoc View Post

Looking at the chart closely I don't know why I never noticed that the heights need to be set at 45 degree elevation. It's not a problem as the room is still under construction but it will mean that my original plan will need to be modified as the speakers will need to be a lot closer than originally planned.

Yes, in larger (longer) rooms, the speakers would have to be moved forward; however I wanted to place mine behind a proscenium. Chris said this was fine, but to point them down aimed at the listener. Mine are probably more like 35 degrees.
post #17 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Marantz is coming with a prepro, on the other hand it's probably just a denon 4520 with no amps, slghtly modded gui and a pricetag $1k higher.wink.gif

post #18 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I am also doing 9.2 with 3 Seaton catalyst LCR and 6 procella P6V surrounds( a pair of side surrounds for each row instead of front wides) Denon has a older version which recently received an upgrade the AVR-5308CI(A) 9.3 channel receiver which can process 2 side surrounds. but the only issue is its hdmi inputs are all 1.3. and i am looking for something with 1.4 inputs and all the latest bells and whistles. Also i dont need a receiver necessarily because my LCR are active speakers.

Is there any processor where the front wides can be reassigned as extra side surrounds?. I want the option of running all the side surrounds at once or only the sides of the row which i am sitting along with rear surrounds. My theater will have two rows. My Calibrator suggested to purchase and do this as below.
Marantz AV7701 preamp
Three Parasound A23 amplifiers (these have gain controls to work with your surround switching logic)
Rane PE-17 equalizer for subwoofer
RTI-RCM12 IR controlled dry contacts

The RTI RCM-12 can be used to control the amplifiers used for the two sets of surround speakers. This device has 12 dry contacts that can be wired you’re your amplifiers trigger inputs and controlled with your programmable remote to achieve the desired combination of amplifiers from inside the theater.

The outputs to the surround amplifiers would be Y’d off of the single side surround output.

Wish there was a simpler way!... All i need is a latest processor which can handle everything as above. I looked at Datasat RS20i and it is super expensive:eek:
post #19 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Feedback from Chris on the placement tolerances for DSX:
Quote:
"Chris Kyriakakis"
Tolerance for Wides azimuth angle is ±10°. Elevation should be ear height.
For Heights we recommend: "slightly wider than the fronts and as high up as possible on the front wall".

As key items are documented I'll capture them in the 2nd post as summary/FAQ.
post #20 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Not a great pic in the show me thread. This was before I added my final UPA2

http://www.avsforum.com/t/788074/show-me-your-rack/1200#post_21761160

Looks sweet to me!
post #21 of 893 Old 11-01-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
This is a great topic Mike. I am now subscribed. My theater is obviously still under construction, but I am currently planning to go 7.1. I am curious to hear what people think about 9.1 and above.
post #22 of 893 Old 11-03-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm really impressed at how responsive Audyssey is to questions! That's definitely a plus in the Audyssey column! And thanks for starting the thread, Mike. I probably would have waited until the last minute to consider this if not for this thread.

Another question. Are you aware of any recommendations for speaker types for the wides/heights (dipoles/bipoles/direct radiators)? This would seem to be particularly important with multiple rows where you can't meet the speaker location requirements for all the seats.

post #23 of 893 Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm really impressed at how responsive Audyssey is to questions! That's definitely a plus in the Audyssey column! And thanks for starting the thread, Mike. I probably would have waited until the last minute to consider this if not for this thread.
Another question. Are you aware of any recommendations for speaker types for the wides/heights (dipoles/bipoles/direct radiators)? This would seem to be particularly important with multiple rows where you can't meet the speaker location requirements for all the seats.

I've had quick and good replies from Chis as well.

Direct radiators, afaik, but I would consider testing something odd for the heights if placing them on the 45/45 positions to minimize the dominant effect of the closest one at offcenter seats... You really needs a positioning that brings the farther one onto axis while dampening the close one. For more conventional placement " as high aspossible on front wall " it's definitely direct radiators, but I'd recommend trying to cross on-axis in front of listeners.

post #24 of 893 Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Quote:

I've had quick and good replies from Chis as well.

Direct radiators, afaik, but I would consider testing something odd for the heights if placing them on the 45/45 positions to minimize the dominant effect of the closest one at offcenter seats... You really needs a positioning that brings the farther one onto axis while dampening the close one. For more conventional placement " as high aspossible on front wall " it's definitely direct radiators, but I'd recommend trying to cross on-axis in front of listeners.

Nightlord is spot on with Chris's reply, I bold/highlight the pertinent info piece from Chris posted earlier:
Quote:
"Chris Kyriakakis"; I would still push for Wides.
It doesn't matter that you have treatments there.
The wides (small bookshelves) can be on a stand right in front of them. Their benefit is just so much bigger than Heights...
small bookshelves = Direct radiators
For mine, and keeping inline with my Paradigm speaker lineup, I went with the Mini-monitor, Height, Width, Depth = 13-1/2 in x 7-5/8 in x 10-1/2 in (34.3 cm x 19.4 cm x 26.5 cm)

There was a side-bar follow-up with added info in the fb page.
Quote:
"Meng Sim Quek"; Do we tilt the heights speakers facing downwards towards the listening position? sorry if i have asked this question again....
"Chris Kyriakakis"; Yes, tilting is recommended

I'm going to follow the recommendations, and "experiment" with the toe-in cross position & the tilting - key is your speaker wall mount needs basic ability for aiming to dial them in.

Below is my HT layout, since I have 2 row's, I've found the toe-in for front R/L is actually 2nd row like show in the sketch - seat 6-7, and works very well for 1st row as well, there are no "holes" in my front sound stage.
As we all know here; multi-row Home Theaters have to consider tradeoff/balance; every seat is a "good seat", no seat is perfect/best seat...

So dialing in the wides/heights will be start with the recommendations, and tweak aiming from there......that could mean a lot of time! eek.gif as re-running Audyssey set-up, then saving those to computer, then comparing, rinse/repeat, and pick "optimal" one...

(I have to add the wides/heights to the sketch, which is getting busy and has evolved from simple scale basement drawing overlay since first made in 2007, I just never got around to putting it into Google sketchup/other 3D program)
HT%252520Plan%2525202x4%252520Seats-Riser-acoustics.JPG
post #25 of 893 Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

small bookshelves = Direct radiators
.........HT%252520Plan%2525202x4%252520Seats-Riser-acoustics.JPG

I saw that bookshelves were recommended, but never stopped to put the 'ol brain in gear and make the connection to direct radiators. Sorry about that.

I'll be watching this thread closely, and I'm anxious to see how your testing goes.

post #26 of 893 Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Tuned in Mike

Best of luck, comments to follow ....

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #27 of 893 Old 11-25-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I decided to wire my theater for 11.x (original plan was 7.x). Since my theater is still being built, it was easy to put new speaker cables. and build additional columns. I received advice from many folks that getting wides makes a big difference.
post #28 of 893 Old 11-25-2012, 09:40 PM

Liked: 13
I just tried out wides and heights in my theater. I had actually been running heights for a few months and have been very happy with the results. I picked up bookshelves (large ones) that match my towers and decided to use them as wides. I have RBH 1266 towers and 661 bookshelves. I was using 41-BEs for heights.

I have a larger theater room, plenty of width and depth. After pulling wire for the wides and runnying Audyssey on my 4311ci, I quickly decided I didn't like wides. It really noticed too much sound coming from them, and in some of the clips I played, dialogue was pulled way too far off the screen. Other sounds too, that should have been on the edge of the screen were pulled all the way off. I found it very distracting. I ended up moving the 661s up to the hieght position, and will use the smaller 41s in another spot in another room.

I really am happy with the heights... just didn't like the wides.
post #29 of 893 Old 11-25-2012, 10:43 PM

Liked: 12
Wow, this is a great thread!! When I finally get the space to do a dedicated theater, I'm planning on wiring for an 11. system, but will start off with a 9. system and upgrade from there. I can't wait to see where this goes!
post #30 of 893 Old 11-26-2012, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst96se View Post

After pulling wire for the wides and runnying Audyssey on my 4311ci, I quickly decided I didn't like wides. It really noticed too much sound coming from them, and in some of the clips I played, dialogue was pulled way too far off the screen. Other sounds too, that should have been on the edge of the screen were pulled all the way off. I found it very distracting. I ended up moving the 661s up to the hieght position, and will use the smaller 41s in another spot in another room.
I really am happy with the heights... just didn't like the wides.

Just out of curiousity, did you try moving them closer to the fronts to see (or hear rather) if it made large or marginal difference to the effect?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier , Denon Avr 4311ci 9 2 Channel Network Multi Room Home Theater Receiver With Hdmi 1 4a , Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Panamax , Audyssey
Gear in this thread