interesting new lighting option - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/29/philips-hue/

"Historically, altering the lighting color of a room required draping a gossamer-thin cloth over a lamp or buying a new bulb from the store. Philips has sought to solve that most taxing of first-world problems with the hue, a smartphone-controlled LED bulb that can cycle through shades at your whim. As well as block colors, you can use photos to create palette and can control the units even when away from home. It'll be an Apple Store exclusive from October 30th, with individual units setting you back $59 (£49, €59) and three-bulb introduction pack with a wireless bridge for $199 (£179, €199). If that seems a little steep, just console yourself in the knowledge that it's a thousand times more useful than other lighting devices we've seen this year."

It seems like it could be an interesting retro fit option.

-ScAndal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-30-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'm having a hard time getting these lights out of my head since I read this yesterday.

On one hand I'm saying to myself "YES! Finally! Awesome!"

On the other hand I'm wondering what happens when the iOS app gets abandoned, the source code closed, iOS updates make the software non-functional, etc. and then I'm sitting on $200 worth of barely-adequate white light bulbs that I can't do any whiz-bang color adjustment with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page