Furnace vent location - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a propane furnace with exhaust/intake pipes running across my theater room. I'm contemplating relocating them to reduce some of the ceiling obstruction that they cause.

Current output location:
Untitled_zps968ee67f.jpg

From what I have been able to find, it looks like the only restriction on the vent's location is that it needs to be at least 12" from windows and doors? Would moving it from it's current location to somewhere on this wall work?:
Untitled_zps3b304e19.jpg

Can anyone confirm or clarify the spacing constraints? I also understand that the vent piping is supposed to slope down toward the furnace for condensation purposes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
That's a Rheem/Ruud sidewall vent terminal.

12" from openings into the building is correct, as far as I know.

It needs to be 3 feet from what appears to be a fireplace vent. I would not recommend placing it under that.

Also be aware that the vent piping for the furnace needs to follow specific guidelines that are in the instructions included with the furnace. Diameter is based on length and the number of elbows. If you change these things, the piping diameter may change. Also note there is a specific amount of 2" piping just prior to the exhaust termination.

You are correct about the slope; 1/4" per foot is typical (read the instructions to confirm).

If you are unclear, probably a good idea to call a pro. I would also warn that you should not assume what is there now is correct. I have seen this screwed up before. If you are the last person to touch it, you are soley responsible for any issues.

HTH,
Tim
post #3 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Tim View Post

That's a Rheem/Ruud sidewall vent terminal.
12" from openings into the building is correct, as far as I know.
It needs to be 3 feet from what appears to be a fireplace vent. I would not recommend placing it under that.
Also be aware that the vent piping for the furnace needs to follow specific guidelines that are in the instructions included with the furnace. Diameter is based on length and the number of elbows. If you change these things, the piping diameter may change. Also note there is a specific amount of 2" piping just prior to the exhaust termination.
You are correct about the slope; 1/4" per foot is typical (read the instructions to confirm).
If you are unclear, probably a good idea to call a pro. I would also warn that you should not assume what is there now is correct. I have seen this screwed up before. If you are the last person to touch it, you are soley responsible for any issues.
HTH,
Tim

Excellent, thank you.

The silver box is in fact a direct-vent fireplace. The proposed move would require less overall pipe length and less elbows, so I should be good there. Interesting point on the "specific length" of 2" pipe: I believe that currently the pipe flares out to 2" just after leaving the furnace.

I'll check back to the furnace documentation to see if I can get any clarifications on the pipe sizing requirements.
post #4 of 4 Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Actually, I was wrong. The vent pipe starts as 2" at the furnace, and transitions to 3" after about a foot.

The current setup is ~36ft of 3" pipe with 2 x 90's and 3 x 45's (~76' equivalent). The installation manual lists max 100 equivalent ft for 3" pipe. The new setup should be same or less, so I should be good sticking with 3" pipe.

Looking at everything tonight, I noticed that there is some condensate leaking at one of the 90 deg fittings near the furnace. Can't trust these local yokels to do anything without screwing it up...
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page