Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again - destination Columbus, Indiana - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #301 of 999 Old 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Just make sure you feed him every once in a while and he might just be tempted to stay behind that screen. That is if there is space left after all the speakers are in place. wink.gif

Looks like the screen wall was build just like the rest of the room. Built to withstand just about anything thrown at it. Just out of curiosity why Lowes and not Menards and have you found a supplier for the moldings? The Lowes vs. Menards is a matter of location preference I was just wondering why go further than you have to. I have bought lumber from both places, but tend to go to Lowes as is closer to the house.

Looks like you guys are still making great progress.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 999 Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Just make sure you feed him every once in a while and he might just be tempted to stay behind that screen. That is if there is space left after all the speakers are in place. wink.gif
Looks like the screen wall was build just like the rest of the room. Built to withstand just about anything thrown at it. Just out of curiosity why Lowes and not Menards and have you found a supplier for the moldings? The Lowes vs. Menards is a matter of location preference I was just wondering why go further than you have to. I have bought lumber from both places, but tend to go to Lowes as is closer to the house.
Looks like you guys are still making great progress.
Regards,
RTROSE

lol smile.gif Did not research about the molding yet. I guess it can wait and i may take care of it after Big leaves if we cant find it. Sometimes its a matter of food preference so Big or both of us go to the store which is closest to the restaurant where we decide to eat. smile.gif
post #303 of 999 Old 12-03-2012, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I built my house I used a local lumber yard for all my trim. The big box stores want crazy prices. I.E. RB3 was 1/4 the cost. Crown was the same differance. For some reason I ordered way to much crown molding and have 200ft that im going to put to good use soon.
post #304 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 757
The molding in question is what the original builder used throughout the house as door casing, It is something I've never seen in stock at the big boxes or custom millwork shops. It may have been a special profile design that the builder had made for his projects. I suggested contacting the builder.

As plan B there is a door planned for removal in another part of the basement and if we are careful we could recycle that molding.
post #305 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 107
In my parents' 100 year old house, we added some doors and obviously couldn't find any of the trim wood to match. Luckily the carpenters had finished the inside of all the closets too. So now several of my parents' closets are missing trim inside them! tongue.gif
post #306 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

In my parents' 100 year old house, we added some doors and obviously couldn't find any of the trim wood to match. Luckily the carpenters had finished the inside of all the closets too. So now several of my parents' closets are missing trim inside them! tongue.gif

you must be related to the painter who painted my first house in Florida. None of the door walls on the inside of closets were painted. Obviously he couldn't fit himself and his spray gun in the closet so I guess he thought I wouldn't notice during the walk through, WRONG.
post #307 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

you must be related to the painter who painted my first house in Florida. None of the door walls on the inside of closets was painted. Obviously he couldn't fit himself and his spray gun in the closet so I guess he thought I wouldn't notice during the walk through, WRONG.

Yeah, now, in my house, I don't think I could do that. biggrin.gif
post #308 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Advanced Member

Could not help Big much today. Quest Acoustic wall treatments went up on the walls. They are a combination of absorption and diffusion panels. The Ceiling treatments are not yet up. First layer of Linacoustic was put behind screen wall. Door to equipment room got prepped. We had the pleasure of meeting Vanice who is a fellow avs member and owner of Grove theater. It was fun sharing our passion for home theater.

I later came down to take some pics with the wall panels up. Had to dim the lights and blur out the pics a little since due to copyright i am not supposed to post pics of the what specific panel went where. This would have been evident by looking at the panels on close up with lights fully bright and noticing the pattern of each panel is different smile.gif

post #309 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Purdy! Love the (slightly) blurry pictures. biggrin.gif It is all starting to come together.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #310 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Vik, thanks for letting me come down and crash your build. It was great to meet you and BIG. You have a fantastic looking room. It's even better in person. Can't wait to see the surprises you still have in store. eek.gif
post #311 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Could not help Big much today. Quest Acoustic wall treatments went up on the walls. They are a combination of absorption and diffusion panels. The Ceiling treatments are not yet up.

What is planned for the ceiling?

Quote:

you must be related to the painter who painted my first house in Florida.
Dang, I missed you in FL?
post #312 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks RT and Vanice. Dengland, the ceiling panels are bigger size absorption diffusion panels spanning across the room you can find more info regarding the panels at

http://www.questai.com/
post #313 of 999 Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 178
It's lookin just awesome!! Love the columns and the rope lights are giving off great light.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #314 of 999 Old 12-05-2012, 03:55 AM

Liked: 10
Love it Vik. I have been following from day 1 and I might have missed your screen size. What size/ratio are you going with? I know it is center stage but I don't recall the other information?
Big beutiful work like always.
post #315 of 999 Old 12-05-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:

Purdy! Love the (slightly) blurry pictures. biggrin.gif It is all starting to come together.
Regards,
RTROSE

I have been mesmerized by these blue-lighting progress photos. Even BEFORE they were blurred out.
Amazing atmosphere you and Big are creating. Then there is the mystique of the Quest panel installation!
And I used to think "Area 51" was fascinating and mysterious. Hmm - have you thought of a name for your theater yet?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #316 of 999 Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Redig Cuzed2 and Blynk. The screen size and model are 140 inch curved fixed frame 2:37:1 SeymourCenterstage XD.
post #317 of 999 Old 12-05-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Thanks Matthew, I remember following your theater thread early this year or maybe late last year. At one point before i knew Big existed i even contemplated of contacting you to get advice and help to build my theater. It is during those times of research that i found Big! smile.gif Your welcome to visit if you pass by Columbus anytime.

Thank you! That's quite the compliment. (my build is very modest compared to most) Yeah I've been off AVS for about a year and a half...lets see...I stopped posting (and everything else) just about the time....oh yeah...right after my PJ went up...lol. FATAL MISTAKE!

I love the curved elements you've put in your theater, they really pop. I can't wait to see the finished product. (probably not as much as you can't wait though wink.gif ) If Big got commission for every time he was the source of inspiration, technical advise, or otherwise....well I'm sure he could afford to buy every member of AVS a drink or two.

Should be a fun ride watching this build come together...So glad I'm back on AVS cool.gif

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #318 of 999 Old 12-05-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Love the lighting, good work!
post #319 of 999 Old 12-05-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Man considering all the awesome gear choices and how incredible the space is looking this may end up being one of my top five favorite all-around theaters! I can't experess how cool the sofit/lighting and stage is looking! Totally drool inducing.eek.gifeek.gif

Im really excited to see which projector you end up going with. I remeber you saying you may go with the Epson 6020 until you save up for a super hi-end model. Just go with the Sony 4K VPL-1000ES or the Sim 2 Lumis 3D Solo.biggrin.gif

JBL Pro Cinema
post #320 of 999 Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Matthew and Damelon. You said it Reddig the two exact projectors i could have and if i had the choice between the two i would go for the Lumis! smile.gif
post #321 of 999 Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Matthew and Damelon. You said it Reddig the two exact projectors i could have and if i had the choice between the two i would go for the Lumis! smile.gif

Nice I think I would too bro!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #322 of 999 Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Vik, Big,

Thanks again for letting me intrude and gawk at your theater. Wow it is really coming along and looks fantastic. Photos just don't do it justice. Speaking of which I know you have some progress to show off so hop to it and post some updated photos will ya! Your (and Big's) attention to details is really showing through and your theater will be a top notch space.

How is the fabric frame fabrication coming along?

Regards,

RTROSE

post #323 of 999 Old 12-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Vik, Big,
Thanks again for letting me intrude and gawk at your theater. Wow it is really coming along and looks fantastic. Photos just don't do it justice. Speaking of which I know you have some progress to show off so hop to it and post some updated photos will ya! Your (and Big's) attention to details is really showing through and your theater will be a top notch space.
How is the fabric frame fabrication coming along?
Regards,
RTROSE

Hi RT Your welcome anytime.Fabric frames were completed today. Equipment room and theater room door hung and all gaps closed and sealed with acoustic caulk. Theater door only will be removed again from the hinges for beefing. J Just 3-4 more panels remaining to be covered with anchorage. Taking a break tomorrow and starting back on Sunday. Sorry did not take any pics today. I think Big has some and may post smile.gif
post #324 of 999 Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

That's my cue

Walls will be basic black, columns a grey, we also got 2 layers of Linacoustic on the front wall. Unfortunately my only pictures of that was after the first layer and shows a secret ingredient prescribed my Dennis.

Work this week was not without incident

post #325 of 999 Old 12-07-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Sunday we are holding a workshop on placing a 160lb sub-woofer behind the screen wall. All attendees welcome. Contact Vik for class times and to reserve a seat in the class.
post #326 of 999 Old 12-07-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sunday we are holding a workshop on placing a 160lb sub-woofer behind the screen wall. All attendees welcome. Contact Vik for class times and to reserve a seat in the class.

HAHAHA!!!! Sounds like a fun class count me in! I'll get in contact with Vik to get my reservation and seat assignment. Looking forward to class.

Monday's class schedule/workshop. Repairing hernias caused by moving 160lb subwoofers. biggrin.gif

Regards,

RTROSE

post #327 of 999 Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

HAHAHA!!!! Sounds like a fun class count me in! I'll get in contact with Vik to get my reservation and seat assignment. Looking forward to class.
Monday's class schedule/workshop. Repairing hernias caused by moving 160lb subwoofers. biggrin.gif
Regards,
RTROSE

biggrin.gif See you on Sunday RT!!
post #328 of 999 Old 12-08-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

LMAO!biggrin.gif Wish I lived closer or I would definitly come to help.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #329 of 999 Old 12-09-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Wish I could come too... I guess ill just supervise from here.... frown.gif

Lift with your knees!!! Heeeyah! /crackswhip

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #330 of 999 Old 12-09-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Work this week was not without incident

Steri-Strips? Something tells me you or someone you know is a physician...

Good luck with the equipment move. If I was there I would help you, although I'm 100% sure I could move it myself...with just my pinky finger.... Well, I'm off to go punch a dragon in the throat....biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page