Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again - destination Columbus, Indiana - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #451 of 993 Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Watch for the Big Chill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 993 Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Thanks again Big!! . Glad you reached home safe, and great dash cam pics! I am going to take a break for a couple of weeks and start finishing up the rest!. I found out why that little bit of sound was leaking in while we were yelling from outside. It was not the Zero seals. Outside of the door there was a gap above the door top crown molding piece and drywall through which sound was leaking into the area near the seals. I caulked it and now I don't hear anything even when screaming biggrin.gif
post #453 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers1 View Post

Awesome Work big .. the lines in this build are just amazing did you cut any straight lines at all ??? smile.gif
Vik Keep us updated i am sure the finishing touches will be just as amazing as it has been up until this point
p:s BIg now you can catch up on Dexter... tonight was the season finally and all i got to say is WTH!!!!!

Right dude the season finale was nuts!! My wife was in shock for about two hours afterwards.eek.gif

JBL Pro Cinema
post #454 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20

Vikgrao - I think I missed what screen you went with? What size and Brand?

Theater looks Awesome!
post #455 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Hi,
Thanks.
Its a 140" Curved Seymour Center-stage XD with fixed magnetic masking Panels.
post #456 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Hi,
Thanks.
Its a 140" Curved Seymour Center-stage XD with fixed magnetic masking Panels.

Lol...biggest I've seen in person is 135"....I wouldn't go over 139"....140" is just silly... biggrin.gif

Are you happy with the center stage material? Or have you not had a chance to try it out yet?

Shades of Grey Theater

Live: Hero of Cannton 

Currently Playing: CoD Black Ops II

post #457 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 10:55 AM

Liked: 10
Simply AMAZING! Great work team....

B2
Living the dream....

post #458 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

Lol...biggest I've seen in person is 135"....I wouldn't go over 139"....140" is just silly... biggrin.gif
Are you happy with the center stage material? Or have you not had a chance to try it out yet?

Matt, I have not yet tried. I will take a break for two weeks and start back on finishing up the rest. It looks very good for me. I was worried that from the first row which is at 11.5 feet i can see the weave but me and everyone in my house could not spot it. I guess i have to still test it again after i get the PJ. I love large screens and i wanted a very enveloping experience while watching 3D movies.
post #459 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2round View Post

Simply AMAZING! Great work team....

Thanks B2!
post #460 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Vik thanks for the opportunity to work on your unique theater. Can't wait to see the finishing touches you and the misses will put on the space.
Here are the highlights of my trip home:
Cheap gas and food.

I had both
Gas finaly got under $4 for regular here in Hawaii. I will be glad to se $2.95!eek.gif
post #461 of 993 Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 PM

Liked: 19
Truly an impressive build. Looking forward to seeing the finishing touches.
post #462 of 993 Old 12-18-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Matt, I have not yet tried. I will take a break for two weeks and start back on finishing up the rest. It looks very good for me. I was worried that from the first row which is at 11.5 feet i can see the weave but me and everyone in my house could not spot it. I guess i have to still test it again after i get the PJ. I love large screens and i wanted a very enveloping experience while watching 3D movies.

I love large screens too. I'm only about 8.5' from 120" screen. Even though I'm only rocking 720p...i wouldnt have it any other way....ok well...1080p would be nice... rolleyes.gif

Shades of Grey Theater

post #463 of 993 Old 12-18-2012, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
MAN! Do you guys sit in the first row at a real theater?

I'm about 12' from my 104" scope and that's plenty big for me. Before framing out the screen the wall I set up a 144" screen (entire width of the room) and dialed it back until it was comfortable. Much bigger than that 104" and I/we found ourselves moving our head side to side to see the entire screen. Bigger IS immersive, but to me it's like watching a tennis match.

BTW - we usually sit about halfway in the real theater.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #464 of 993 Old 12-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
11.5 feet back from 140" would be too big for me as well depending on content. If it's masked to 16:9 and say football or a drama then it would be fine. If it's 2.35/2.4 and lots of panning/action it would be too much for me.

Parts of Cloverfield were too much at 10' from a 113" screen for me. Having said all that I am going larger and my front row is moving up during the rebuild so go figure smile.gif

You can always move to the back row right?

Not sure I could take 2 weeks off with the theater so close, you have more patience than me Vik.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #465 of 993 Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I usually sit towards the front of the middle section.

My screen is as large as I can comfortably watch from that distance. The only time i feel like its too big is when I'm playing games...I dont sit in the front row while playing halo(unless its split screen), but otherwise yup.

Shades of Grey Theater

post #466 of 993 Old 12-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

I will mostly be playing 1080p Content. I always have the second row to go sit in if it feels too close. I want to get a immersive experience while watching 3D so i thought a close first row will be good thing. I read somewhere that George Lucas said cover each side of your face with the palm of your hand then close the opposite eye and see if we can see beyond the edge of the screen. If we can then it is fine to watch from that distance. When i used that tip i could see a lot beyond the sides of the screen from the first row smile.gif I never sat in the front row in a movie theater it was always a little back from the mid point...so let me see how it goes i will let you guys know! I was aware this Question would pop up as soon as i said 11.5 biggrin.gif

I am impatient also to get the rest of the theater done, but because of the theater build i have been procrastinating a lot and my wife is mad eek.gif
post #467 of 993 Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

I am impatient also to get the rest of the theater done, but because of the theater build i have been procrastinating a lot and my wife is mad eek.gif

I feel yah! My wife wants the theater done so we can get back to watching movies. I of course want to significantly improve it which means alot of time working on it so I get the stink eye when the kids are running her ragged.

I foresee vacation time being used before long to get things done in my future.

Can't wait to see finally pics, it's going to be awesome!

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #468 of 993 Old 12-19-2012, 07:12 AM

Liked: 10
Vic and Big,

As many have said, a truly impressive build. Congrats. I know once it is fully setup and adjusted it will look and sounds amazing.

Vic, I would love to ask a few random questions:

1. Was curious regarding your decision to use Seaton catalyst 12c for the front 3 and then the Procella P6V Surrounds x 6. Did you consider using all Seaton with the 8ca or Sparks for you surrounds or was the decision based on equipment already owned?

2. When you built the room in a room, are the 12' 10" x 22' 2" dimensions the interior dimensions after the 3 layers of dry wall? Did you use clips and channels for the walls or just the ceiling as I was under the impression that if you built a room in a room, the drywall could be installed traditionally to the interior studs since they were decoupled from the exterior studs.

3. The basic design by Byrne and Erskine, what did that include, and what info did you provide them?

4. Why did you decide to go go with the SeymourAV Centerstage XD curved screen without even picking a projector (I am a screen idiot so I am looking for general information rather than a justification)?

5. What is the seating plan for the room? Curious as to how many chairs can fit comfortably in a room this size for my own reference.

Thanks again for such an entertaining build. Can't wait to see it completed!

Poop
post #469 of 993 Old 12-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopShoe View Post

Vic and Big,
As many have said, a truly impressive build. Congrats. I know once it is fully setup and adjusted it will look and sounds amazing.
Vic, I would love to ask a few random questions:
1. Was curious regarding your decision to use Seaton catalyst 12c for the front 3 and then the Procella P6V Surrounds x 6. Did you consider using all Seaton with the 8ca or Sparks for you surrounds or was the decision based on equipment already owned?
2. When you built the room in a room, are the 12' 10" x 22' 2" dimensions the interior dimensions after the 3 layers of dry wall? Did you use clips and channels for the walls or just the ceiling as I was under the impression that if you built a room in a room, the drywall could be installed traditionally to the interior studs since they were decoupled from the exterior studs.
3. The basic design by Byrne and Erskine, what did that include, and what info did you provide them?
4. Why did you decide to go go with the SeymourAV Centerstage XD curved screen without even picking a projector (I am a screen idiot so I am looking for general information rather than a justification)?
5. What is the seating plan for the room? Curious as to how many chairs can fit comfortably in a room this size for my own reference.
Thanks again for such an entertaining build. Can't wait to see it completed!
Poop

Hi,
Thanks for your comments.
1. Mark Seaton was supposed to come out with a complimentary triamplified surround for the Catalyst 12c and 8c this year . Instead of waiting for the release i thought i would go ahead and buy the next closest thing with compression drives which was the procella in my opinion. Also i was looking for monopole surrounds since i am a big fan of them.
2. Correct, the dimensions you stated are the interior dimensions of the finished room.( Room dimensions before build was 14x24x9). Yes since the room is decoupled you may directly put the 3 layers of drywall with green glue on the stud wall, But you are supposed to get even more better results if you further decouple with the clips and channel on the studs.
3. The basic design included a basic acoustical layout plan in terms of seating, viewing distances, projector placement ,and acoustical treatments needed. I further requested and had some more things done such as using the raiser as a broadband absorber. I provided a pdf of the room pics, dimensions and equipment along with a handful of conversations with the Bosses. After that I and Big tweaked the design to change it to what i further preferred.
4. I had a couple of temporary projectors already in my mind which i planned on buying and based on what i read on the forum i felt the best bang for buck and allrounder was to go with the centerstage XD , regardless of if i upgrade in the future to more expensive projector which will need me to change to a microperf or a 4K screen.
5. Seating plan is for 6 seats. Currently i am searching for something space saving and contemporary in a curved config with total width of each row of 3 seats under 100".
PoopShoe likes this.
post #470 of 993 Old 12-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I feel yah! My wife wants the theater done so we can get back to watching movies. I of course want to significantly improve it which means alot of time working on it so I get the stink eye when the kids are running her ragged.
I foresee vacation time being used before long to get things done in my future.
Can't wait to see finally pics, it's going to be awesome!

Same situation with me biggrin.gif thanks!
post #471 of 993 Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

Same situation with me biggrin.gif thanks!
Tell me about it. The wife & the family is getting a bit impatient for my final product especially now every gears had or are arriving in a week or so...... And of course I'll have to blame on you Vik! tongue.gif
post #472 of 993 Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

Tell me about it. The wife & the family is getting a bit impatient for my final product especially now every gears had or are arriving in a week or so...... And of course I'll have to blame on you Vik! tongue.gif

Hey! when he started building your panels and sanding, that was the time he was supposed to be in Columbus. So those couple of days lost for me with interest = Ten extra days of Big in Columbus so its even now no one to blame he he tongue.gif
post #473 of 993 Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey! when he started building your panels and sanding, that was the time he was supposed to be in Columbus. So those couple of days lost for me with interest = Ten extra days of Big in Columbus so its even now no one to blame he he tongue.gif
LOL.... O.....K...... Fair enough. biggrin.gif
post #474 of 993 Old 12-19-2012, 09:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Very nice build! Gotta love the catalysts.

How do you get behind the screen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by premiertrussman View Post

My screen is a curved 170" wide and I also used center stage material. I can't see the weave at 12' at the seating position.

My build thread

My 8 x RE XXX 18" Subwoofers, IB build
Couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.

Do you know what Nemesis means?

post #475 of 993 Old 12-20-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanDave View Post

How do you get behind the screen?

The SeymourAV screens utilize a french cleat system for hanging. Bascically a wall mounted bracket that has a lip that catches under the top edge of the frame. For the curved screen they created a modified version that has blocking behind the wall bracket such that it sits extended from the wall enough to fit the curve of the screen. So the wall attachment is three parts. A long metal strip with holes, blocking made out of what looks like composite deck board. And the french cleat lip. The metal strip holds the two cleats at the correct position along the top of the screen. So you basically lift the screen up and set it down on the lips. There are also two brackets along the bottom edge of the screen that keep the screen in the correct vertical position and those have one screw. At Vik's we also have two black velvet covered panels held in place with Velcro over the top of the screen.

So to answer your question, How do you get the screen off to get behind? Remove the two Velcro black panels, remove two screws at the bottom of the screen. Then lift the screen off and set to the side. Takes about 5 minutes and we practiced doing it when Vik realized we left the grills on the speakers and he wanted them off.
post #476 of 993 Old 12-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

LOL.... O.....K...... Fair enough. biggrin.gif

Just kidding!..never expected it to go longer than planned..it just happened smile.gif
post #477 of 993 Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Dave, Thanks for visiting. Have followed your awesome build from day one! and its going to be my inspiration for my 2nd theater build in a few years when i am ready to move and build again.
post #478 of 993 Old 12-20-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

my inspiration for my 2nd theater build in a few years when i am ready to move and build again.

Now that's impressive!
Some of us spend multiple years trying to build a theater, and then there are others who; every few years.... smile.gif

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #479 of 993 Old 12-20-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just kidding!..never expected it to go longer than planned..it just happened smile.gif
As any construction build, it ALWAYS take longer than expected! cool.gif
post #480 of 993 Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

I will mostly be playing 1080p Content. I always have the second row to go sit in if it feels too close. I want to get a immersive experience while watching 3D so i thought a close first row will be good thing. I read somewhere that George Lucas said cover each side of your face with the palm of your hand then close the opposite eye and see if we can see beyond the edge of the screen. If we can then it is fine to watch from that distance. When i used that tip i could see a lot beyond the sides of the screen from the first row smile.gif I never sat in the front row in a movie theater it was always a little back from the mid point...so let me see how it goes i will let you guys know! I was aware this Question would pop up as soon as i said 11.5 biggrin.gif

I set 11.25 ft away from my 125" 16x9 screen and I love it!! 11.5 from a 140" 2.35:1 will be magical I gaurantee.

JBL Pro Cinema
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page