Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again - destination Columbus, Indiana - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
man_of_steel_2-wallpaper-960x540_zpsa3364a60.jpg

And once the new Man of Steel comes out on blu-ray we need a picture of it on your screen.

So what is the first movie you watched in the completed space?

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Just project that image.
post #813 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 56
post #814 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

post #815 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Simply incredible! Amazing job to all involved.

-Greg
post #816 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Waking up everyday to the compliments and humor from you guys really makes my day. Thanks again Guys!

Nick the Soffit is also curved so the center can lights are the closest with the middle of the can light to screen material distance is 8.5 inches. If you were talking about the vertical led lights shooting at the screen the nearest vertical column light washing the front edge of the screen is 23.5 inches.

Design1st Code2nd I have already been watching multiple documentaries, national geographic, imax 3d and 2d, 3D movies and all kinds of stuff biggrin.gif before the carpet was installed lol! But the first thing I watched was the Ultimate Home theater Demo Disc Version 2.0 With RT and got locked in. After the carpet was installed I think the first movie i watched was Aliens special edition. and yes i will put the man of steel on the screen once it comes.

Gary i love it! I will try to browse for a high resolution image online of the same or similar and project it tonight or tomorrow then post a screenshot! smile.gif
post #817 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
EXCELLENT! Looks great.

CONGRATS!

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #818 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

How about now?

The Official Man of Steel Home Theater! biggrin.gif

(sorry, if you don't like it Vik, I'll delete this post)

Awesome!!!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #819 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Landshark,

That added screenshot is the icing on terrific cake. Hopefully Vik will find a way to project itt as part oh his welcome/warmup screen

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #820 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
Mu iPhone keyboard stinks :-)

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #821 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Congrats on the completion of your theater vikgrao! It looks absolutely amazing. Your color choice on the carpet was BRILLIANT. I always say that it pays to take risks in life and boy did that risk ever pan out well for you. Man I wish I lived in Indiana. I'd love to hear and see a demo in that theater. Enjoy it with the family.

A/V Gear: EPSON 5030UB | 100" Fixed Mount | Samsung UN46F5500 LED TV | Yamaha RX-A1010 | Emotiva XPA-3 | OPPO BDP-103 | Panamax M5300 | Pro-ject Carbon Debut | Polk 265-RT (L/R) | Polk 255C-RT (C) | Polk 65RT (L/R SUR) | Polk RC80i (L/R REAR SUR) | PSA XV-15 | Sonos

904WMC Media Room Build Thread
post #822 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Advanced Member

post #823 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked: 10
I never post but ...... awsome! How did you come up with that array of speakers?
post #824 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

I had my share of speakers with soft dome tweeters for home theater and two channel listening in non dedicated rooms previously. When building this room i had two things in mind extensive soundproofing and overbuilding it. and to go with speakers using compression drivers/horns like in the movies and pro-sound settings . I also wanted to do more movie watching than music and to watch the action scenes sometimes at over the top above reference volumes without distortion. To achieve that there were quite a few speaker options but I decided to keep the budget under $20,000 for the speakers.

So when i browsed around and demoed with that price range in mind i discovered the Seaton Catalyst 12C to my liking for both movies and music very dynamic and articulate with good sound stage and imaging. Also they had limitless power being internally triamplified with a total of 2000 watts per speaker and you can drive them as hard as you want without distorting clipping etc.

Regarding surrounds i am not a fan of dipoles bi poles and also its a personal choice that i wanted monopoles. I did not choose seaton surrounds because the product which was an exact match for the catalysts was not available in the market as yet, so i went for the procella's which i think was the closest match with the seatons even though surround matching to the mains is not that important.( the procella surrounds though are still a bit of overkill because they can be used as mains for my size rooms)
post #825 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
First off, very nice. It came together great. I'm sure you're proud. You should be!

Second, a question (or three) - What would have you done different if you were to redo it again tomorrow? What was your biggest challenge? Whats your favorite part?

I like to pick peoples brains before they forget or get settled in. Since I'm a PM, call it your retrospective or lessons learned.

Bud
post #826 of 983 Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Bud!

For the record i will be redoing it in a different City hopefully in a few years.

What would i have done different well here goes!

1 The most important thing i would have done is payed whatever it takes and get a full set of the more detailed signature level or the higher design plans from Dennis or anyone else detailing everything in the design from stud framework to electrical hvac etc ( I keep waking up everyday till today thinking that is the first thing i would do in my next build)

2. would have build it as a separate addition to the house either over the ground or as a bunker and go way way bigger with taller ceilings.

3. Build a small room/booth inside the theater itself in the rear to house the projector and equipment with some shelves and space for a desk and chair ( dont ask me why smile.gif )
4. Keep the screen on a hinge mechanism so that i can easily swing it out to get access to the speakers
5. Spend more evenly for Video and Audio equipment instead of spending a lot more for Audio.

The Biggest challenge was to convince my wife of my vision at each step of the build, and to explain to her the audio/ video and architectural acoustic science that goes behind the build and to make her not protest and let the cash flow freely towards the build biggrin.gif

My favorite part was without a doubt spending the time with Jeff ( BigmouthinDC)! and helping build it along and meeting new AVS forum members.

Also recently post build my favorite or happy part was when my neighbors came for dinner and i debuted the theater to them and showed of some clip samples of various movies including 3D. The husband repeatedly kept saying he felt like he was part of the movie and the wife said she was lost in the movie and did not feel like they were looking at the screen as a third person.

They also commented on how each and every sound was so clear and detailed where they could hear the gentle flap of the dollar note when someone takes money on screen out of his wallet or how the soundstage filled beyond the screen when the scene changes from club music in a room to an outdoor concert. that is exactly what i wanted to hear from people, and this was coming from them when the room was just basically calibrated amateurishly via audyssey by me. I guess all the hard work put in, the soundproofing and using the patent pending Quest Acoustics not just for the walls but for the ceiling along with getting the Erskine acoustic design really payed off!. I feel it will get even more better once i get it professionally calibrated later.
post #827 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
How are the Procellas as a surround keeping up with the Cats?
post #828 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

post #829 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Awesome set-up. Love the design, the look, the equipment,etc.. Hey, I golf at Otter Creek once in a while (I'm in Cincinnati)...maybe I will swing by and take a gander ...being a fellow JTR owner and all smile.gif
post #830 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks! it would be nice to meet you so feel free to stop by. I read your posts and visited your theater thread on the forum regularly. I too frequently visit Cincinnati and would love to hear the dual S2 some time. You can PM me when you are ready. The only week i wont be available is next week after that schedule is pretty much flexible.
post #831 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Thanks Bud!

For the record i will be redoing it in a different City hopefully in a few years.

What would i have done different well here goes!

1 The most important thing i would have done is payed whatever it takes and get a full set of the more detailed signature level or the higher design plans from Dennis or anyone else detailing everything in the design from stud framework to electrical hvac etc ( I keep waking up everyday till today thinking that is the first thing i would do in my next build)

2. would have build it as a separate addition to the house either over the ground or as a bunker and go way way bigger with taller ceilings.

3. Build a small room/booth inside the theater itself in the rear to house the projector and equipment with some shelves and space for a desk and chair ( dont ask me why smile.gif )
4. Keep the screen on a hinge mechanism so that i can easily swing it out to get access to the speakers
5. Spend more evenly for Video and Audio equipment instead of spending a lot more for Audio.

The Biggest challenge was to convince my wife of my vision at each step of the build, and to explain to her the audio/ video and architectural acoustic science that goes behind the build and to make her not protest and let the cash flow freely towards the build biggrin.gif

My favorite part was without a doubt spending the time with Jeff ( BigmouthinDC)! and helping build it along and meeting new AVS forum members.

Also recently post build my favorite or happy part was when my neighbors came for dinner and i debuted the theater to them and showed of some clip samples of various movies including 3D. The husband repeatedly kept saying he felt like he was part of the movie and the wife said she was lost in the movie and did not feel like they were looking at the screen as a third person.

They also commented on how each and every sound was so clear and detailed where they could hear the gentle flap of the dollar note when someone takes money on screen out of his wallet or how the soundstage filled beyond the screen when the scene changes from club music in a room to an outdoor concert. that is exactly what i wanted to hear from people, and this was coming from them when the room was just basically calibrated amateurishly via audyssey by me. I guess all the hard work put in, the soundproofing and using the patent pending Quest Acoustics not just for the walls but for the ceiling along with getting the Erskine acoustic design really payed off!. I feel it will get even more better once i get it professionally calibrated later.

Great! Its interesting to hear your retrospective, although many of the things you mention are expected. It's funny how the forum has shifted some - maybe its the change in HT market, maybe its an introduction to new design services (by Dennis or AVS or others) or decline in prices in technology, I see more and more people saying and going down the direction (including me) of getting professional help or designs before they build. Being on the board almost 10 years now (hard to believe), you saw a lot of people just banging stuff out without a lot of forethought or thought about ramifications - a lot of no sound proofing, no acoustics, no integration, no thought about platform height, etc. Seems like a shift towards the HT consulting needs and influence over the years. Probably a good thing and a better result.

I would like a bigger room with taller ceilings and building an additional is one way of getting them! I also want the projector out of the room, I'm stuck with another projector box again, better than I had last time, but still part of the room itself.

I love it when people come into the theater for the first time. Most don't get the work involved and the science behind it obviously. When you demo though, mouthes drop. That never gets old. Looking forward to getting there again.

This forum is one of the few I've seen out there with the breadth of knowledge, technical skills, comradery and people geniunely interested in helping folks. Jeff is obviously one of those guys. Sure there are exemptions, there aways are, but for the most part, this is a pretty cool place to hang out. smile.gif

Bud
post #832 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
That is a fantastic screen of superman. One of the striking things about your room is the blue and red contrast. You just have to get that pic on your screen before the movie as others have said and play a little clip of the superman theme music just for fun every once in awhile.

The red carpet is stunning btw. It gets me thinking maybe I should be a little bolder with my design.

Would love to see pics of the equipment room
post #833 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks Grant! I will do that when i am free. Dressing up the equipment room is a little project which i wont be doing right away but I will once i get some ideas!
post #834 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Great! Its interesting to hear your retrospective, although many of the things you mention are expected. It's funny how the forum has shifted some - maybe its the change in HT market, maybe its an introduction to new design services (by Dennis or AVS or others) or decline in prices in technology, I see more and more people saying and going down the direction (including me) of getting professional help or designs before they build. Being on the board almost 10 years now (hard to believe), you saw a lot of people just banging stuff out without a lot of forethought or thought about ramifications - a lot of no sound proofing, no acoustics, no integration, no thought about platform height, etc. Seems like a shift towards the HT consulting needs and influence over the years. Probably a good thing and a better result.

I would like a bigger room with taller ceilings and building an additional is one way of getting them! I also want the projector out of the room, I'm stuck with another projector box again, better than I had last time, but still part of the room itself.

I love it when people come into the theater for the first time. Most don't get the work involved and the science behind it obviously. When you demo though, mouthes drop. That never gets old. Looking forward to getting there again.

This forum is one of the few I've seen out there with the breadth of knowledge, technical skills, comradery and people geniunely interested in helping folks. Jeff is obviously one of those guys. Sure there are exemptions, there aways are, but for the most part, this is a pretty cool place to hang out. smile.gif

Bud

Well summarized Bud, Could not have said it better. Totally agree!
post #835 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog View Post

Bud
agree pertty cool place to hang out
post #836 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

agree pertty cool place to hang out

Because its HT porn...and we all like it...because we are dirty old men tongue.gif
post #837 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Dirty old Man screen shots to come later in the week untill then for all those superman fanatics I projected and took a couple of hasty screen shots at lunch time. Bad Camera settings and put the projector on dynamic mode so very bright! Credits to " Design1stcode2nd and Landshark! "

Rest of the previous pics posted link: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1437336/fall-frenzy-bigmouthindc-hits-the-road-again-destination-columbus-indiana/780

post #838 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Sweet! Love it. Time for a name change: Man of Steel theater

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #839 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

design1stcode2nd Thanks I just put you in the credits above those pics! I forgot you posted the intial pic. Okay okay too much pressure biggrin.gif I will patent that name and put it beside my signature. I cannot though put it beside the original thread name as aka, because it was started by Big.
post #840 of 983 Old 03-12-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

design1stcode2nd Thanks I just put you in the credits above those pics! I forgot you posted the intial pic. Okay okay too much pressure biggrin.gif I will patent that name and put it beside my signature. I cannot though put it beside the original thread name as aka, because it was started by Big.
I'm sure Big will have no problem to change the name for you. wink.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page