Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again - destination Columbus, Indiana - Page 33 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 983 Old 08-08-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
What do you do when Vik texts you and says that TMcG (Stonewater Cinema) will be in town for a theater demo and do I want to join in. Well an overwhelming and resounding YES would be the answer. Vik also said he had some "special" guests lined up as well.

We began the adventure around 5:30 or so with some demo clips, discussion, more demo clips, some more discussion, and then even more demo clips and discussion. Break for some Mexican food and some cervezas , then back to Vik's for more demos and finally a full movie Oblivion.

I have given a couple of reviews already for my impressions of Vik's theater so I will let TMcG chime in when he gets a chance. Vik's theater continues to impress me. We listened to some of the demo material at reference levels and the sonic impression is actually a physical one as it grabs you, smacks you and thumps you in the chest. The system can play loud with clarity and authority for sure. Did I ever mention that Vik likes to play his demo material LOUD? Hey Vik likes to play his demo material loud, just so you know. biggrin.gif

What I did not ever have a chance to do is watch a full movie at Vik's. I can say that even at reduced volumes for normal watching I can say that the audio is well balanced, clear, and honest. Truly a very nice experience. It is always nice to share a theater experience with someone new to see how they react, I'd say that TMcG was equally impressed as I have been with Vik's theater. I will admit though that while Oblivion is a visual and audio treat (actually IMHO a reference disc) it really is a lack luster movie plot and action wise, so much so that TMcG and I took a couple power naps during the movie, one of us even snored a little (that party will remain nameless right TMcG?) causing Vik to divert his attention from movie watching. I think that when it was all said and done we wrapped up somewhere around 2:30 am after a great demo and theater discussion session. Had a great time meeting TMcG and "talking shop" with a couple of great theater enthusiasts.

Oh and the special guests Vik said he had lined up, well they had to cancel due to car trouble but they did send a pic to Vik to prove they were legitimate "no shows"

Bless their hearts, I sure hope they got their car fixed. Maybe if they had been there I would not have fallen asleep during Oblivion!

Thanks again Vik for your hospitality! TMcG is was great to meet you. Looking forward to seeing your theater come together.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 983 Old 08-08-2013, 08:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12

If that's a 911 like I think it is, then their rears should be at the rear of the car and not the front.  Unless they are having a luggage emergency....  But speaking of rears....

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #963 of 983 Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 187
They probably are trying to figure out the jack.
post #964 of 983 Old 08-09-2013, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Lol nice! Man I gotta say I really enjoyed Oblivion all around. A/V quality was top notch and I thought the story was good too. I'm a Sci fi nut.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #965 of 983 Old 08-10-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Vik,

Do the blue lights make anything in your room fluoresce? I picked up some blue LED lighting to test out and it made a few things light up like they were under a black light. I'm not sure if it would be distracting in the finished room or not.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
post #966 of 983 Old 08-10-2013, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Interesting, No my blue led lights don't cause that sort of phenomenon.
post #967 of 983 Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Thanks again Vik for your hospitality! TMcG is was great to meet you. Looking forward to seeing your theater come together.

Regards,

RTROSE

As always nice illustrations and nice to have you come over again RT. It was great fun meeting TMcG! and spending some time,especially the conversations we had over dinner!
post #968 of 983 Old 08-11-2013, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

Vik,

Do the blue lights make anything in your room fluoresce? I picked up some blue LED lighting to test out and it made a few things light up like they were under a black light. I'm not sure if it would be distracting in the finished room or not.

I just got the new philips hue light strips and blue is the only color ive seen so far that reflects off the screen when at 100% brightness. If I turn it down its not an issue but blue seemed to reflect the most off things. I wouldnt say like a black light but you could notice it.
post #969 of 983 Old 09-10-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Theater of the month! Congrats Vik! The pic looks great.
post #970 of 983 Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Theater of the month! Congrats Vik! The pic looks great.

Thanks!
post #971 of 983 Old 09-11-2013, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

Oh and the special guests Vik said he had lined up, well they had to cancel due to car trouble but they did send a pic to Vik to prove they were legitimate "no shows"

Be THANKFUL they didn't show up, otherwise now, you'd all be flat broke, vik would be divorced, and everyone present would probably need a shot or something. A cream or ointment at the very least.

Would it really have been worth all that?

ABSO EFFIN LUTELY!!

and ya gotta admit, that would've been a pretty kick ass way to christen the theater LMAO
post #972 of 983 Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM

Liked: 10
Just read through the whole build -- great thread, great theater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post

Thanks Bud!

For the record i will be redoing it in a different City hopefully in a few years.

What would i have done different well here goes!

1 The most important thing i would have done is payed whatever it takes and get a full set of the more detailed signature level or the higher design plans from Dennis or anyone else detailing everything in the design from stud framework to electrical hvac etc ( I keep waking up everyday till today thinking that is the first thing i would do in my next build)

Why do you feel that you needed more detailed plans? If you didn't have Big helping you and providing professional contracting advice I could easily imagine how attempting to DIY build something could benefit from more detailed plans. I feel like I'm pretty handy, but I don't know a darn thing about construction codes -- I wouldn't even know how far apart to put studs in the wall. But you had Big helping you with the nitty gritty construction details, so how do you think more detailed plans would have helped?

I really appreciate all the details you've put in this thread and answering questions about "lessons learned" etc. To me those are the biggest benefit to those of us that haven't yet started our build -- finding out the things that you didn't know that you didn't know.
post #973 of 983 Old 10-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Dave, Great question. I felt at that time that the electrical and HVAC part of the signature plans would have been very useful for me. There were some things i did before Big started the project and i felt if i had the signature plans i may have done it better and it would have saved me some time and money.
post #974 of 983 Old 12-12-2013, 09:21 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 87
I just did a marathon read of this thread and WOW, that's quite the theater. Very impressive!

I do have a question on the walls, if people are still monitoring this thread. The entire thread started after the walls were completed, so there are scarce details. I do have this picture from Big, though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

DSCN0025.jpg

Okay, I got out my screen ruler and calibrated it on the studs. Based on that, here's what I think is going on:

3 layers of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue in between
1 3/8" hat channel with whisper clips
2x4 stud wall with insulation loosely packed
1 3/4" air gap
5/8" drywall

Is that right? If so, on to the questions:

1. I know that all hat channels are not the same... so what are the specifics on these?
2. Is the insulation in the interior wall attached in any way or just sorta there?
3. What is the reddish-purplish blob just above the lower hat channel?
4. Is there another isolation clip (or similar) in between the two walls (lower right hand corner)? If so, what for?
5. Is there any kind of isolation barrier between the bottom of the walls and the concrete?
post #975 of 983 Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by granroth View Post

I just did a marathon read of this thread and WOW, that's quite the theater. Very impressive!

I do have a question on the walls, if people are still monitoring this thread. The entire thread started after the walls were completed, so there are scarce details. I do have this picture from Big, though:
Okay, I got out my screen ruler and calibrated it on the studs. Based on that, here's what I think is going on:

3 layers of 5/8" drywall with Green Glue in between
1 3/8" hat channel with whisper clips
1 3/4" air gap
5/8" drywall

Is that right? If so, on to the questions:

1. I know that all hat channels are not the same... so what are the specifics on these?
2. Is the insulation in the interior wall attached in any way or just sorta there?
3. What is the reddish-purplish blob just above the lower hat channel?
4. Is there another isolation clip (or similar) in between the two walls (lower right hand corner)? If so, what for?
5. Is there any kind of isolation barrier between the bottom of the walls and the concrete?

Not my thread, but I'll give you my perspective.

1. Most of the hat channel you see used out here is 7/8" tall x 2.5" - 2.75" wide. Used to be only the 2.5" was recommended, but the clip mfrs now all support the 2.75" wide (according to Ted at The Soundproofing Company).
2. If un-faced, the insulation is friction fit. If paper faced it can be stapled. Nothing fancy about the insulation installation here, just the cheap fluffy stuff. As long as you don't compress it, you're good.
3. That looks like a putty pad that gets smashed around any outlet boxes. One of the little details that really helps a good soundproofing solution.
4. Yes. Looks like that might be an IB-3 clip (or similar). Used to give some stability to the inner wall, while still decoupling from the existing framing.
5. Not sure what BIG did here, but most will run a bead of acoustic caulk along the bottom plate to seal off any air gaps.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm mistaken on any of these.
post #976 of 983 Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Not my thread, but I'll give you my perspective.

1. Most of the hat channel you see used out here is 7/8" tall x 2.5" - 2.75" wide. Used to be only the 2.5" was recommended, but the clip mfrs now all support the 2.75" wide (according to Ted at The Soundproofing Company).
2. If un-faced, the insulation is friction fit. If paper faced it can be stapled. Nothing fancy about the insulation installation here, just the cheap fluffy stuff. As long as you don't compress it, you're good.
3. That looks like a putty pad that gets smashed around any outlet boxes. One of the little details that really helps a good soundproofing solution.
4. Yes. Looks like that might be an IB-3 clip (or similar). Used to give some stability to the inner wall, while still decoupling from the existing framing.
5. Not sure what BIG did here, but most will run a bead of acoustic caulk along the bottom plate to seal off any air gaps.

Hope that helps. I'm sure someone will jump in if I'm mistaken on any of these.

Thanks, this is very helpful!

My question on the insulation was mostly because while you can clearly see a smooth paper-faced insulation layer on the outer wall, the insulation in the inner walls seems to be less fitted. At one point, it looks like it spans the gap between the walls and is touching the outer wall and I just wanted to confirm that that's what I was seeing.

Actually, that ties into the red blob, since the pushed out insulation is behind that. That makes sense if there is a junction box there and they didn't see a need to cut around the box.

My first guess with the red blob was a putty pad, too.. but I was thrown by the fact that it's on an already isolated interior wall. Presumably the interior is already completely sealed off from outside, and so what purpose would the putty pad serve?

Looking at the Sound Proofing Company website, that does look like an IB-3. That implies, then, that the wall is not very securely fastened to either the ceiling or floor or both that it needs the clip? Or would there be another reason, even if the wall was bolted to the floor and screwed to the joists?
post #977 of 983 Old 12-13-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 533
The room was originally constructed by a couple of Local Dudes, Vik flew me out for the day and I spent a day with the dudes and Vik talking about theater construction thechniques. By the end of the day I'm sure they thought I was Nuts. I disappeared and came back several months later for the theater finish details and the start of this thread. Maybe Vik has some original construction pictures he can back fill?

Anyway the channel is 25 ga 7/8 inch tall furring channel (be sure not to use 20) . The clips add something based on clip type.

The blob is a putty pad on the back of the wall switches one of the few holes we allowed in the entire theater space. outlets went in columns. Front wall outlets are surfaced mounted. As one of the holes you need to preserve the airtight soundproof shell and the pad does the trick. There are no recessed lights penetrating the fortress only lights inside soffits constructed inside the fortress.

As for the IB3 clip, somebody's OCD got the better of them and I wasn't there to convince them otherwise, not a lot of harm done.

The walls were built on top of a rubber pad and floated sub-floor. Then caulked all around.
post #978 of 983 Old 12-13-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

The blob is a putty pad on the back of the wall switches one of the few holes we allowed in the entire theater space. outlets went in columns. Front wall outlets are surfaced mounted. As one of the holes you need to preserve the airtight soundproof shell and the pad does the trick. There are no recessed lights penetrating the fortress only lights inside soffits constructed inside the fortress.

This confused the heck out of me, at first, because I considered the inner wall to be on the inside of the shell. I spent a some time reading every document on the Soundproofing Company website to try and figure this out. And indeed -- I had it completely wrong! Since the outer wall does not have drywall on both sides (which would create a triple leaf design), I shouldn't be considering it a standalone wall at all. In fact, the two walls together make up THE wall for the theater and as a whole should be considered the barrier between conditioned and unconditioned space. As such, yes, any holes in it will have to be treated.
post #979 of 983 Old 01-07-2014, 10:52 PM

Liked: 12
Hi Vik,

I wanted to congratulate on what looks like, and from all reports sounds/performs like, an absolutely awesome theatre.

I was quite taken with the colour scheme of red, blue and black, and showed it too my wife. She totally loves the red carpet scheme and lighting and I think you've helped us settle on a colour scheme for my own to-be-built HT. It's bold and striking but totally works, we love it. I wish you many hours of enjoyment in this theatre until your next build!

Cheers,
Tim
post #980 of 983 Old 01-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

post #981 of 983 Old 03-24-2014, 06:11 PM

Liked: 10
WoW...! Did a search here for something else unrelated and had NO IDEA there was such an enormous undertaking right in my own town!!! Congrats on that truly AMAZING Theatre, Vik! biggrin.gif

That has me already thinking of what can be done to my family room... wink.gif

Daniel
post #982 of 983 Old 03-24-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ah,

Another HT nut from round these here parts. Welcome to the forum, and yes Vik's theater is one of the beautiful wonders of the natural world. I was lucky enough to see it come together in person. THAT was quite a treat to say the least.

Regards,

RTROSE
Mfusick, datguy85 and Wizzard73 like this.

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #983 of 983 Old 03-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Been busy and not coming on the forum much, thanks Daniel and RT. Its good to see more HT enthusiasts exist in this small town than Just me RT and a couple of others.
Wizzard73 likes this.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page