Fall Frenzy, Curve Frenzy, Man of Steel theater (You pick) - BIGmouthinDC hits the road again - destination Columbus, Indiana - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #991 of 999 Old 10-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Good Jokes guys, I dont have that lock anymore and currently the entire door has been remodeled to look exactly like another home theater door on this forum which i liked. I replaced the biometric lock with a modern Emtek passage door knob which Jeff and i originally liked.

http://www.build.com/emtek-510rou-pa...FQsSMwodhAUAfA

I have also remodeled and finished the rest of the basement last month and one of the things i got done was add a new wall and create a passage way in front of the theater entrance with a hidden door in the wall. Right now i am waiting on my custom bar to be completed once my finish carpenter comes back from vacation. Hopefully will post some pics of all the changes before December!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 999 Old 10-12-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Looking forward to seeing the pictures. I even looking more forward to seeing the upgrades in person.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #993 of 999 Old 10-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

post #994 of 999 Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

And.........we are still waiting for pics of all the updates you have done. No pressure it's only been a couple of months.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #995 of 999 Old Yesterday, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

post #996 of 999 Old Yesterday, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikgrao View Post
Lol! Guys today was supposed to be a fun session and it started out that way. Before the carpet came this month end RT and I decided to give a test run and do a demo session. We did a Quick calibration and started enjoying LFE scenes from the home theater demo disc.

Few minutes into the demo my 8 year old son wanted out and after he left he wanted back into the theater but could not come in. He was well versed with the programming of the lock since he did it himself a month ago. and Yes the keypad with the biometric reader was outside of the theater room. The problem was we could hear the unlock every time the scan was accepted but the bolt which goes into the wall was not moving back into the door.

after he tried and tried and also went on the internet to download the instruction manual and tried again nothing happened, My wife then who we finally decided to tell him to tell what was happening , came down got a screwdriver and removed the handle to access the manual key unlock and with the keys but still nothing happened.

Inside the theater room RT also used his key chain to remove the inside panel of the lock but it was of no use because the door handle inside was holding it back. So we started calling nationwide 24 hour emergency lock smiths with local services via goggle search . We got back to back sorry technician not available due to family emergencies from the operator after promising we would get one right away.

Through t this ordeal RT who was very cool and laughing calmed me down cos i was kind of uneasy about the situation He called his friend and got a number for a guy who luckily was available. In the time it took the locksmith to arrive RT and i started watching a couple of movie scenes again and also tried to fiddle with the video settings of the projector to distract over selves.

The lock smith came and whatever he tried was not working. He even borrowed our handheld power tools from my wife without much luck. he finally got some other tools from the van and that along with the power tools cut the bolt and got the door opened. The whole ordeal i guess lasted more than an hour!!

The verdict according to the locksmith was nothing was wrong with the bio-metric lock but he said the Zero door seals around the perimeter of the frame were pushing against the door with tremendous pressure and that somehow was messing with the bolt. and no regular locks or commercial lock bolts can withstand that. I am not sure what was the terminology he used to explain his theory but i remember that is what i heard. He also said this would happen with a regular lock to since it was not the issue with the lock.

Finally thanks to RT for bearing through all this and helping me out earlier to calibrate the system. The pictures of the Carnage are below and thankfully nothing serious happened while we were in there. Imagine like a fire or HVAC shutting off etc I am also glad it did not happen with a family inside kids and all. I guess i have to think of a solution of what i am going to do so that this never happens again. Now keep the jokes coming!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by RTROSE 

I just thought of something. Say someone with ill intentions breaks into the house and sees that door, with a lock like that, they will think they have found the worlds largest home safe. They do by some means gain access see that it's not a safe but one of the nicest home theaters on the planet sit down and watch a movie. Now they are distracted, you are alerted to the bad guys presence, you call the police and they get the bad guy! Everybody wins! Well except the bad guy but who cares about them right?

Actually, I think you could actually label your theater a multi purpose room. Seeing how it was constructed you could use it as a theater, vault, or doomsday bunker!

Regards,

RTROSE

On the 15th of December I posted the above.

I found out this evening that Vik's theater does in fact qualify as a vault. It was "keeping" two highly valuable objects hostage er ah I mean "safe" from the outside world. But first things first.

I stopped by Vik's to help him get a couple of odds and ends taken care of and go through the setup of his new Denon (which is mighty nice I might add) finalize the temp speaker connections and get the theater up and running for a demo. We got all the connections made, hooked up the speaker cables and replaced a defective HDMI cable. We then ran though the Audyssey program and did a down and dirty calibration. After that we went through some demo material. A couple of impressions. The Orbitshifter is simply awesome. I was correct in my first assessment of the sub. Initially when first installed and demoed we were playing it at insanely high volume. Today with the other speakers in the mix we had a better idea of how everything will integrate. The whole system just simply works fantastic together. The sub is running a little hot, but taming that with the level of the other speakers and Vik's system will be fantastic. The surrounds are excellent and using the Scubasteve Demo Disc 2 for some material the surrounds really showed their stuff (as well as the sub). The room treatments really do their job and tame the room very well. Vik is a perfectionist and thought that the vocals were sightly muffled or muddy at higher volumes, but at lower volumes was much better. If there is a difference it is very very small. We were in agreement that the sub should be turned down slightly so at the higher volumes it would be more appropriate ans seamless. All was going well until we tried to leave the room to get to the equipment rack to check a couple of things.

Vik goes to the door and turns the handle........nothing. Vik's son is outside the room. Punches in the code, scans his finger...........nothing. Vik continues to turn the handle.......nothing. Vik's son tries everything he can, including googling the issue........nothing. Vik sends his son to wake up Mrs, Vik. Mrs. Vik tries everything including pulling the handle off and using the manual key.........nothing. Then two calls to Lock Smiths........the local tech is not available due to family emergency. Call to the local PD and they suggest another Lock Smith. Soooooooo...............after about an hour and 30/40 minutes of being captive we were finally freed. Yeah, fresh air, room to roam, and a bathroom! Whoo Hoo. Come to find out from the "professional" Lock Smith Vik's door was so tight that it was exerting a lot of pressure on the bolt and when the lock mechanism disengaged it sheared the internal part the unlocks the bolt to allow the handle to turn to disengage the bolt. Vik was a great sport about it all, he apologized about a hundred times for what had happened, totally not his fault (well actually it is, he wanted the blasted thing). We actually passed the time by doing more demo material and doing some fine tuning to to the projector so it was actually time well spent. After about 30 minutes of working on the lock the Lock Smith released us from captivity. He was able to saw enough of the bolt that we were able to force our way to freedom. Vik's wife quickly reminded me (and Vik) she was against that lock from the beginning. Luckily there was actually minimal damage done to the the door and surrounding trim, and the lock (according to Vik) is now going the way of the Dodo bird. Over all it was a great time and Vik's theater is really coming together.

I've been to Vanice's theater, Matthew H's theater, KNKKNK's theater and of course Vik's theater. I can say however that of all those listed have one been locked IN just one of them.

Regards,

RTROSE

I forgot to add that during all of this, after about 1/2 way through I text Mrs RTROSE to let her know what was going on. I had originally told her I would be home around 7 or so. I then sent a message to her that I was locked IN Vik's theater and not to worry I'd be home when we got out. On the way home I called her to explain what had happened and when I told her she thought I was making it up! She thought that I had just lost track of time and was trying to be funny. It was not until she checked her mobile to see the text that she finally believed me! She then asked why he had a lock like that and I said that is exactly what his wife said!
Vik, RT, hoe can I make sure this doesn't happen to me? I have the zero door seals and door bottoms for communicating doors, which essentially doubles the possibility of this happenng. I havent installed the seals yet, but now, i may be a little scared to install them...
post #997 of 999 Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post
Vik, RT, hoe can I make sure this doesn't happen to me? I have the zero door seals and door bottoms for communicating doors, which essentially doubles the possibility of this happenng. I havent installed the seals yet, but now, i may be a little scared to install them...
I'll let Vik chime in as well but I think the main issue was that there was an incredible about of pressure on the locking mechanism to get it to seal. I could have been installed with a lot less pressure to seal the room and still have worked. The lock I believe was also not "heavy duty" (could be wrong) and not up to the task of holding the door that tight having to fight all of the pressure just to move the bolt out of the way. If you install your seals per the instructions and have enough pressure to seal the room you should be alright.

Vik has a philosophy, which is if it is worth doing it is worth overdoing. This is mostly a very good philosophy, but obviously not for the door and locking system. He has a far more conventional lock on there now and I believe it has been trouble free.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #998 of 999 Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 617 Post(s)
Liked: 757
When we first installed the seals we used a flashlight to make sure the seals were just tight enough, He shined the flashlight at the door from the outside and with the lights off inside the theater we adjusted the seals. After I left Vic felt tighter would be better.
post #999 of 999 Old Today, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Brolic,
I read later on Amazon reviews lot of people had similar issues as me with that particular biometric lock on regular doors also . So I think you will not have any problems at all with the seals!
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction