Twin Peaks Theater and Basement Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
We just finished up the plans for our basement and will be starting construction shortly. This thread will focus on the theater (that's where I need the most help), but I'll also post shots of the other parts of the build as well. Below is the full plan:

I'll be modifying the theater a bit from this. Here's my initial sketch:

The rear opening is a half wall with arched opening into the bar/game area.

And here's the equipment list for the theater:
  • Triad Gold LCR
  • 4 Triad InWall Silver/4 Surrounds
  • Integra 80.3
  • 3 Emotiva XPA-1 for LCR duty
  • 2 Emotiva XPA-2 for surrounds
  • Panamax 5400
  • HTPC
  • Xbox 360
  • Middle Atlantic rack (ERK-4425)
  • JVC DLA-RS4810
  • 2 18" dual opposed subs custom built by Nathan Funk
  • 2 LG FP14000 clones to power subs
  • Fixed frame 140” width 2:35 AT screen (Seymour AV, frame by Jamestown)
  • 9 Fusion Escapes from Roman

Thanks in advance for thoughts and advice along the way!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-04-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Reserved
post #3 of 20 Old 11-04-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 20 Old 11-04-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If it were me, I'd wall in the room and soundproof it....either have it fully open at the back or not at all (my preference)

You might want to consider the AVS pro-layout service too

As an aside LOL @ the name.....there is a "restaurant" in Sydney called that - google it (NSFW)

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #5 of 20 Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Great looking space, good luck with the build, sub'ed.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #6 of 20 Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View Post

If it were me, I'd wall in the room and soundproof it....either have it fully open at the back or not at all (my preference)
You might want to consider the AVS pro-layout service too
As an aside LOL @ the name.....there is a "restaurant" in Sydney called that - google it (NSFW)

Funny on the name ... I probably should have mentioned where it came from as I can see where confusion may arise smile.gif. I live a bit east of Seattle in the area that the show Twin Peaks was filmed. We've got a nice view of the mountain from our house.

I knew the opening in the back would (justifiably) be one of the first things that came up. It is something we thought long and hard about, and realize it compromises the acoustics of the room but it is the look we want. I had been toying with the idea of the AVS layout service and will think about it a bit more. I already get nauseous when looking at my budget spreadsheet smile.gif. The general plan for treatments I've been thinking about is Linacoustic behind front speakers, OC 703 triangle bass traps in front corners behind screen wall, OC 703 covered with fabric on top 2/3 of side and rear walls (MDF wainscoting on bottom 1/3), riser built with open air construction/stuffed with insulation for rear bass trap.

Thanks!
Mike
post #7 of 20 Old 11-05-2012, 09:25 AM

Liked: 10
I love the concept of an open space incorporating a dedicated home theater. Buffbakerga on one of the show me threads for instance. Will noise from one room distract those in the other? For instance, will pool balls being racked and cracked annoy moviegoers?
post #8 of 20 Old 11-06-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh222 View Post

I knew the opening in the back would (justifiably) be one of the first things that came up. It is something we thought long and hard about, and realize it compromises the acoustics of the room but it is the look we want.

Fair enough. If it were me, I'd go to the trouble to have all the walls and ceiling isolated so that IF you changed you mind in the future, you only really need to address the rear wall.....and lights....and hvac......and power points.....and doors.....

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #9 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Framing begins!

Here's a shot looking from the front wall to the back of the theater:

And an updated room layout. I moved the door closer to the middle of the room after calculating the first reflection points for the L/R speakers to be ~10.4' from the front row center LP, and not wanting the door to interfere with placement of treatments at the first RP. I used the calculation found HERE for the reflection points and also modeled with THIS software (getting the same results).

post #10 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Great looking space you have to work with, and very nice layout.

I was also torn over the open layout versus the dedicated HT. I really love the look of the open concept, in the end I just didnt want to sacrifice the Audio. But I think you will turn out with a great room. Good luck !
post #11 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fax6202 View Post

Great looking space you have to work with, and very nice layout.
I was also torn over the open layout versus the dedicated HT. I really love the look of the open concept, in the end I just didnt want to sacrifice the Audio. But I think you will turn out with a great room. Good luck !

Thanks Dave! Definitely some compromises by going with the open concept, but overall I believe it's the right choice for us. I'm subbed to your thread and watching with great interest. Amazing woodwork you have going on. Best of luck to both of us!
post #12 of 20 Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMass View Post

I love the concept of an open space incorporating a dedicated home theater. Buffbakerga on one of the show me threads for instance. Will noise from one room distract those in the other? For instance, will pool balls being racked and cracked annoy moviegoers?

Hi JonMass, thanks for the interest! Yeah, there will likely be occasions where noise from the bar/pool area will enter the theater, but for us it will probably be during big sports events rather than serious movie watching. So, I think we can live with it smile.gif
post #13 of 20 Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

We've made a bit more progress with the framing, including stage construction. I'll be ordering sand tomorrow (guesstimating ~100 50# bags of the play sand) and will soon be embarking on the rite of passage to transport it down to the basement.

We need to make a decision on heat as well in the very near future (do not need air conditioning). We've had a couple contractors recommend Cadet in-wall heaters like THIS. I hadn't heard of them before, but they seem to get good reviews. I had been thinking we would do a traditional furnace, but the estimates we are getting for the furnace are in the $10k ballpark, contrasted with the Cadet heaters coming in at ~$2k. Even if the furnace is more efficient (?), that's a lot of energy cost savings we'd need to make up to justify the furnace expense. We are also installing a good-size (37,000 BTU) fireplace in the main bar/game area that we expect to be able to take the chill off the room fairly quickly. Would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Mike
post #14 of 20 Old 12-01-2012, 08:43 AM

Liked: 13
I replied in your other thread re heat but I'll do it here too. Are you trying to heat the entire basement? Looks like a pretty big area. The noise WILL be an issue if you go fan forced. The people recommending them probably don't have any home theater experience. How much of the space is below grade? My basement is completely below grade and I hardly ever turn the heat on. Between the equipment, people, and lights it gets very warm very fast. In reality I could use ac down there year round. It's cold and snowy today but the room will be too warm when I hang out down there later this afternoon. IMO, spend the money for a proper HVAC system, you'll be glad you did.

Dedicated theater

JVC RS46U

Lumagen XE3D

115"d 16:9 DIY AT Seymour XD screen with DIY masking

Marantz SR7008

Oppo BDP103

Darbee Darblet

Klipsch RF7II mains

Klipsch RC64II center

PSA XS15 Sub

Roku3

Harmony 900

post #15 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Looking good. I like the open back concept and the floor plan flows nicely. I'm not sure if I'm looking at your pictures correctly. Your drawing looks like the back of the theater is completely open, but the pictures look like it is just a pass through window like opening. Either way it's going to be a great space.

I also replied on your heat thread, and it's a tough call. Are you planning on heating the whole basement all of the time or just when you want to use it?
post #16 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks electricmanscott and Bacon13 for the thoughts on the HVAC. I've decided that I'm going to give the Cadets a shot (still deciding on model, but considering this one), with the following factoring into the decision:
  • About 2/3 of the space is below grade and maintains a pretty comfortable temperature year-round. Similar to electricmanscott, we don't anticipate needing heat many days of the year and when we do, it should be minimal.
  • There will be a 37,000 btu fireplace in the main bar/game area and there is a pass-through into the theater nearby.
  • Cost ... furnace is an incremental $8k.
  • Ability to keep heat off in unused rooms. With the Cadets we can keep them off when not in use (extra bedroom, gym). The furnace pricing we received was for only 1 zone; additional zones would be significantly more.
  • We have no need for A/C. We have it in the remainder of the house and we rarely need it there. The basement always stays cool during summer.

Thanks again!
Mike
post #17 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Just a few more construction pics ...

5,000 pounds of sand and my little helper
post #18 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon13 View Post

Looking good. I like the open back concept and the floor plan flows nicely. I'm not sure if I'm looking at your pictures correctly. Your drawing looks like the back of the theater is completely open, but the pictures look like it is just a pass through window like opening. Either way it's going to be a great space.
I also replied on your heat thread, and it's a tough call. Are you planning on heating the whole basement all of the time or just when you want to use it?

Thanks Bacon13! The back of the room is indeed a pass through. My neighbor has already claimed "his" seat to be able to straddle the theater/bar area smile.gif Thanks for the input on the heat ... it will only be used part time, and expected to be fairly infrequent.
post #19 of 20 Old 12-02-2012, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Starting to think about the interior finish of the theater. One of my biggest inspirations is the Cinemar theater, and I'm going for a very similar look. Thank you Mario for so many amazing ideas and the detailed information in your thread! I'm thinking about black wainscoting on the bottom 1/3 of the walls and 2" OC703 around the room on the top 2/3rds of the walls covered with GOM Anchorage Goose. Carpet will likely be one of the Masland Quadrate patterns (Market Square, Times Square, or St. Marks Square).

Image below is one of Mario's renderings. I'll be lucky if I can get anywhere close to this look. I've also been talking with Jeff at Night Sky Murals to do a star ceiling for us.

post #20 of 20 Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

We've been making some progress, though a bit slower than we had hoped (isn't that always the case?). Drywall is going up now and expect to be done mudding/taping by end of next week. Here are a couple pics of the theater:

Drywall up (OSB underneath), bottom furred out 2" to match up with 2" OC703 going above the wainscoting.

Riser:

Nathan is almost done with my custom subs, which he's turning into an official product, the 18.2. He's starting to post info here.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page