I'm baaack! This time with a new project! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2012, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
So we bought a house January 2012 and I've finally convinced the "boss" to let me finish the basement and build my dedicated HT/Gaming room! So the allowable space I have is basically half my basement but I need to leave storage space as well since the other half will be the family/rec room with a bar and exercise equipment.

I have the skills and knowledge to design and draft it all using AutoCAD as well as SketchUp for quick renderings (I'm a Project Manager at an architecture firm). I'll also be DIYing the entire build with the help of my dad who is a residential contractor.

A couple of years ago I had designed an entire house including a full designed dedicated HT but our plans changed and we didn't build that house. We ended up buying a house my dad had built and the HT wasn't included in the build at the time...

I've been slowly buying 2x4's and stock piling them knowing I'd eventually get to finishing the basement. And last week woot.com was having a deal on the Pioneer Elite series in-wall speakers so I got four of the S-IW671-LR CST's for the mains and rears and a S-IW571L CST for the center. I have a Yamaha HTR-6130 receiver. I've been researching a lot about IB configurations and REALLY want to go with a couple of 18" subs with the rear chamber in the storage space adjacent to the theater; more on this later.

This build will be pieced together as funds allow so progress will be relatively slow. The reason for this thread is to get feedback and suggestions as I move forward with the design AND construction. We are looking into a home improvement loan which will pay for the finishing of our basement so that means when we close on the loan the "hard" items like drywall, studs, lighting and flooring will be covered under the loan while the HT equipment will be out of our pockets so to speak.

My wife has expressed concerns about going with a projector as her claim is that they don't look as good as our 60" Sharp Aquos or 50" LG Plasma (which both put out a great picture). I'm not sure where she's getting her negative opinion on projectors but we had a Mitsu 73" 1080p rear projection TV and she HATED it!!! So I sold it to buy the plasma! Anyhow, I'm going to need to make sure I get the BEST possible 2D picture out of a projector or the whole project will be a lose since she'll be pissed I spent all the money on a projector with her "perceived" bad picture... We've been to several 3D movies at the theater and just don't care for it so that's not a requirement at this time.

As I've been re-researching dedicated HT's I've been thinking about going with as much flat black for the entire room as I can. That way the picture is truly the only focal point in the room. This theater will be mainly used for watching movies and HDTV broadcast over our DirecTV box. My wife LOVES watching movies at home and I'd like the big HD picture and immersive sound experience. So with that said I think function aggressively outweighs form for my project.

The ceiling is already drywalled using 5/8" Firerock and taped and mudded but not finish sanded or painted. During construction I had the electrician wire me three dedicated 20A circuits (3 duplex receptacles) and an RG6 to the closet under the stairs knowing that I'd be using it as an equipment closet. Below is the basement floor plan as it sits right now along with my proposed space allocations:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by acex008 View Post

My wife has expressed concerns about going with a projector as her claim is that they don't look as good as our 60" Sharp Aquos or 50" LG Plasma (which both put out a great picture). I'm not sure where she's getting her negative opinion on projectors but we had a Mitsu 73" 1080p rear projection TV and she HATED it!!! So I sold it to buy the plasma! Anyhow, I'm going to need to make sure I get the BEST possible 2D picture out of a projector or the whole project will be a lose since she'll be pissed I spent all the money on a projector with her "perceived" bad picture...

I'd HIGHLY recommend you go visit some nearby AVSer's theater and get a demo of a good home theater for her. There is definitely a difference in experience of a projector vs. a modern, very bright flat panel. If she hasn't seen a good projector setup (and seen only crappy in-store setups or dim models from yesteryear) that would explain her perception. But since you had a large RPTV and a good one, she may just not like the 'cinema' look of a projector setup. You really need to get that figured out - to see if she'll be happy with the look, otherwise consider a very large 80-90" flat panel. You don't want to build the whole thing and then find out she doesn't like it and therefore doesn't use it...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Old 11-05-2012, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As jautor said, she probably hasn't seen an HD theater projector set up the way it's meant to be and showing her a proper setup would probably quickly change her perception. My wife was skeptical but once I shot the first movie on a blank wall she got very gitty.

I think this is what some people have in mind from their school days.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

That's a GREAT idea! Where should I post to find local AVSers?

I've been looking into cheaper subwoofer options as I doubt I'll have the ~$1000 budget for the pair of FI IB318's and the EP4000 I had planned. So now I'm looking into a DIY pair of 15's or 18's in enclosures. I'd like to demo some HT subs as well. I wonder who is around that would let me demo both their substage and projector/screen setups.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Try the Area Home Theater Meets section - http://www.avsforum.com/f/61/area-home-theater-meets - not sure if there's one in Maine, but you'll know your geography and what's within driving range.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

There doesn't seem to be a lot of members in my area. At least not active one's... I've been eying the Epson 8350 and a 100"-110" screen for my room. Would going with a gray screen help make the blacks more rich for that projector without any negative aspects over a white screen? My room has no windows and will be as dark as I can get it with very few down lights in the soffit and rope lighting at the riser treads. I'm also about to make a thread in the DIY Sub section asking if I should go with a single FI Q18 in a slot ported enclosure or go IB with a pair of FI IB315's.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My room I'm building (see my sig) is very similar to yours. I will be blocking my only window. I don't think you'll need to worry about a grey screen. Minimizing ambient light (leaks from the projector) along with darker wall colors and keeping the rope lights dimmed will help a lot. My current setup is just a cheap white screen in the family room and on high-contrast/low-brightness mode it looks fine, even with a small bit of ambient light.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Good to know. And how is you're build coming along now?

I'm still in research mode but should be starting the wall construction in the coming weeks. I've decided to go with the single Q18 in a ported enclosure and do away with the IB. I can give more space to my storage room and also get more space in my theater by not doing the IB. Plus since my room is on the relatively small end of dedicated HT's I'm sure I'll enjoy the 18 and may go with building an additional one in the future. But for now I just want to get this damn room up and working!