FINALLY FINISHED!!! A few pictures of my completed theater... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-05-2012, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I finally got some pictures taken of my completed theater room project. While many are blurry (I'll have to try and do a better job this evening with my photography!), I wanted to get some "better late than never" photos posted. This build took nearly 3 years, with a nearly two-year hiatus in the middle of the project.

Again, I appreciate all the help received here at the forum, which helped give me the skill and confidence needed to tackle this project!

Here is a picture of the room as you enter from the hallway:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1536

Here is a picture looking from the "screen wall" toward the back of the room:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1521

Here is a picture looking from the back of the room toward the screen wall:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1518

Here is a picture of the "equipment rack" and the DVD/Blu-Ray cabinets...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1527

Here is a picture of how the stairs turned out, which step up to the second level of seating:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1524

Here is another view of the equipment and media cabinets:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1533

And finally, a view of the screen wall from the left side of the theater, looking back toward the hall that leads to the theater room:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1530

Again, thank you all for the assistance you provided along the way; I am really happy overall with how things turned out. It was a tough project, going from attic space to a completed theater, but I'm real happy with the final result.

We watched a couple of movies and a football game so far; I'm still tweaking my equipment and such, but so far the experience has been just incredible! It's really nice to head upstairs to this room to relax and unwind, as opposed to heading upstairs to this room to work! smile.gif (Though, building it was indeed an exciting challenge...)

Thanks for looking,

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Liked: 10
Nice
post #3 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Jimbo!

Steve
post #4 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 01:12 PM

Very nice Steve, I like the colour and that seating looks about as comfy as it gets.

I would ask for a Harmony remote for xmas wink.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM

looks very nice....

couple questions..
1) how big if room
2) how big is screen
3) how big is you rear seat riser?

i have a room a little bigger than 13x18x8 that i'm starting to design. trying to figure things out
post #6 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 04:08 AM

Liked: 13
Way to go. Love your built-ins. You might think this is modest but I can bet that the people that come to your house have their jaws hit the ground when they see it.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Nice!

Could you snap a few more pics of the DVD wall shelf you built? I have been thinking about building something similar but the stud depth isn't deep enough for a box. I have been trying to come up with attractive ways to extend the depth beyond the wall.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-07-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Hey secondhandler -- your comment cracks me up; I posted these pics to a woodworking forum that is focused on the brand of table saw that I own. The guys there helped me solve some table saw issues I was having during the trim carpentry stage, and I had promised pictures when I finished the project. One of the first comments on that forum was "you need a Harmony!" So, that's TWO votes for a new remote! smile.gif I don't have a ton of components, obviously; is there a model of Harmony you suggest? I had looked at this URC model... http://www.amazon.com/URC-RFS200-PowerPak-MasterControl-PowerBlaster/dp/B000FL9E6U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352333767&sr=1-2 ...but I can go with a "Harmony" just as easily...

jaydogg25 -- the front part of my room is 15' wide, 12' deep; the back portion of the room -- the riser level -- is 8 1/2' wide, and 6 1/2' deep. Thus -- total depth of the room is 18 1/2'. Overall, it sounds like our rooms are very similar in size. My front seating position is about 9' from the screen, and the back seating position is roughly 14' from the screen. The screen is 92" diagonal (45"x80"), and the riser height is 12". The bottom of the "viewable" part of the screen (not counting the 2" black border) is 25 1/2" from the floor. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

aggoodin -- it is VERY modest compared to some of the jaw-dropping, elegant theaters I've seen built here, but it does get quite a few nice comments from my guests. I am real happy with the design -- I'm a fairly simple guy, so it fits my style!

jdanforth -- I'd be glad to snap a few more pics for you. You are right, stud depth isn't enough for a DVD/Bluray box -- fortunately, I was working in an attic space, so I had plenty of freedom to extend beyond stud depth -- and so I did. What I did was build the cabinet flush with the front of the wall (though, like I said, I was able to extend deeper than stud depth), and then trimmed it out with 3/4" thick oak stock, which gives you effectively another 3/4" of "depth" (for a total of about 4 1/4" if you are limited to a stud-depth cabinet -- still not quite enough for DVDs, but getting close...) BTW -- thanks for the cloth; you can see how it was used.

Steve
post #9 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg66 View Post

jdanforth -- I'd be glad to snap a few more pics for you. You are right, stud depth isn't enough for a DVD/Bluray box -- fortunately, I was working in an attic space, so I had plenty of freedom to extend beyond stud depth -- and so I did. What I did was build the cabinet flush with the front of the wall (though, like I said, I was able to extend deeper than stud depth), and then trimmed it out with 3/4" thick oak stock, which gives you effectively another 3/4" of "depth" (for a total of about 4 1/4" if you are limited to a stud-depth cabinet -- still not quite enough for DVDs, but getting close...) BTW -- thanks for the cloth; you can see how it was used.
Steve

Ha! I didn't even realize that was you when I wrote that post. The cloth looks great! biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info on the shelf. Since I can't go through the back of the wall I'm thinking that I'll have to use some extra-thick molding to trim out the cabinet. Excuse to buy a nail gun, maybe?!
post #10 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg66 View Post

Hey secondhandler -- your comment cracks me up; I posted these pics to a woodworking forum that is focused on the brand of table saw that I own. The guys there helped me solve some table saw issues I was having during the trim carpentry stage, and I had promised pictures when I finished the project. One of the first comments on that forum was "you need a Harmony!" So, that's TWO votes for a new remote! smile.gif I don't have a ton of components, obviously; is there a model of Harmony you suggest? I had looked at this URC model... http://www.amazon.com/URC-RFS200-PowerPak-MasterControl-PowerBlaster/dp/B000FL9E6U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352333767&sr=1-2 ...but I can go with a "Harmony" just as easily...

Hi Steve,

Keep in mind you never know when you're going to add more devices and since your component rack is right next to the couch, don't bother going for an RF setup with an old blacklit LCD display and 4 AAA batteries. It'll feel outdated in no time. I've had one very similar and found it slow to process commands, dated quickly and I was changing batteries every few weeks. I've since moved on and got a Harmony One when it was on sale, it's gorgeous, has a charging base and as long as your somewhat comfortable with your PC you set up all the devices using software and then it transfers the commands to the remote. It's pretty convenient set up and easy to modify down the road. FYI - The Harmony One is on sale at best buy right now for $131.99 which is a really good price even if its more than your current needs.
post #11 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 12:38 PM

Liked: 13
Great work Steve. The feeling of entering the room and knowing you are there to sit and relax, as opposed to work, must be a huge relief. Congratulations on making it through to the other side.

What is the tall single chair for in the front corner?
post #12 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

jdanforth -- yep, definitely an excuse to buy a nail gun! I have two (16 ga and 18 ga), and I'd generally recommend the 16 ga. -- unless you will be working with VERY small pieces of wood. For general trim work, including putting up thick mouldings, definitely the 16 ga. My 16 ga. is a DeWalt nailer, and I really like it. Let me know if you still need some more pictures.

secondhandler -- the reason I was thinking RF is that my couch is right in line with the equipment rack, and with my A/V receiver on the lowest shelf, I find myself having to do some contortions when using an IR remote; I could move it up to a higher shelf, which would solve the issue, or use an RF remote...hmm. But, the battery issue you mentioned on the remote you used to have sounds, well, not so good. Does Harmony make an RF version?

TheSly -- thanks! As for that chair, it serves no purpose; I had, before I started the project, decided to hold onto a couple of bar stools we had, which I had hoped to use as "overflow seating." However, they really don't work in the spot I intended them, so I will probably just get rid of them. For now, that's just where I set it.

Steve
post #13 of 13 Old 11-09-2012, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Here ya go, Jon -- here's a better pic of the equipment rack and media cabinet...not a close-up, but a clearer photo...don't know if this adds anything to the discussion or not...

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1548

Steve
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page