Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 11-16-2012, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blobula View Post

Are you going to have your screen on a false wall and then the speakers set up behind so they aren't visible?

That's the direction I'm leaning towards now. I've given myself 2' behind the screen, though I'm thinking I may need closer to 2.5'-3'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 11-16-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Fleshed this out a little more...

Couple notes:
  • Sizing for a Queen sized bed in that bedroom -- I think it should be do-able.
  • Have an L shaped desk that I can extend (Ikea). May end up adding some pieces to bring it all the way down to the door.
  • Assumed a 1' bar area and 15" seats there are roughly 31" between the center of the chairs. I've added another pillar (even though I only have one structural pole) to make it look uniform. Though i could add a fourth chair by not adding that fake pillar. Any thoughts?
  • Added 2 cabinets on that wall. Each cabinet is 24" deep and 18" wide. Would likely look at a single L shaped piece of granite to go across and also a few wall cabinets above.
  • What could I put on the bar area at the end towards the door? Should I put another chair there on the other side of the pillar? Or maybe a popcorn machine / Keg?
  • Is it worth putting the seating on a platform if there will only be 1 row of seating? Keep in mind I only have 7' ceilings with a single piece of drywall.

post #33 of 40 Old 11-16-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 102
That particular seat style is pretty wide. You might consider something straight, or maybe a straight loveseat configuration in the middle and the end seats angled. Look at the 12006 style here Link The straight 4 are 114.5" wide. A loveseat with angled ends is 117.5" wide. This would give you a wider aisle to the back of your room and might even allow you to slide the seating (and screen) more towards the center of the room. It would also allow you to pull the end of the bar in towards the support pole. It sticks out too far right now. I think people are going to be banging into it. I think it should align roughly where the office door would latch.

No need for a riser if you only have 1 row of seats.

I think 3 bar stools is perfect between 2 symmetrical columns.

What made you decide against flipping the theater/office?

Do you plan on carving out room for a closet in the bedroom?
post #34 of 40 Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I was actually looking at the loveseat with angled chairs. Will look at the 12006 line up as the fusion is 134" wide instead of 117.5".

Thank you for the thoughts on the bar size. I'll see how I can shrink it down.

The biggest reason for not flipping the two is that the support column is not in the middle of the unfinished space. So flipping the room would have the support column 10'7" from the front of the room whereas the way it is going now has the support column 12'10" from the front of the room. This would lead to the seats being either 2-3' closer to the screen or an obstructed view in some way.

I'm going to put a closet on the same wall as the door to the bedroom. I believe my measurements are a little off on the distance between the wall and the bathroom door -- so I think I can stick a closet in there.

Really appreciate your thoughts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

That particular seat style is pretty wide. You might consider something straight, or maybe a straight loveseat configuration in the middle and the end seats angled. Look at the 12006 style here Link The straight 4 are 114.5" wide. A loveseat with angled ends is 117.5" wide. This would give you a wider aisle to the back of your room and might even allow you to slide the seating (and screen) more towards the center of the room. It would also allow you to pull the end of the bar in towards the support pole. It sticks out too far right now. I think people are going to be banging into it. I think it should align roughly where the office door would latch.
No need for a riser if you only have 1 row of seats.
I think 3 bar stools is perfect between 2 symmetrical columns.
What made you decide against flipping the theater/office?
Do you plan on carving out room for a closet in the bedroom?
post #35 of 40 Old 11-16-2012, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Here's another rendering with the smaller sized chair alignment. The bar seats are closer together now as well which I'm not a huge fan of, but it keeps the columns in uniform with the seats infront of them.

post #36 of 40 Old 11-17-2012, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Here's another thought -- We were walking the space today and someone recommended putting the office next to my server room and just finishing that side of the basement. The major wrinkle now would be whether we can move the pole that is in the middle of the proposed theater around 5'. If so, I would flip the theater so that the doorway would be in the back of the room instead. I also wonder if I could remove the pole altogether if I put a stronger beam in (only 1/2 the length of the house so it might be cost effective).

The house has two support beams that are not contiguous and not in the same space on the other side of the house. The office wall opposite the server room would hide the beam / poles. I'd put two 5 foot doors going into the unfinished area which would remain storage.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ryan
post #37 of 40 Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

If I put the office in the unfinished storage area I could add a vent from the existing HVAC system, how would I soundproof the vent? That line runs directly into the bedrooms.
post #38 of 40 Old 11-20-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Another Q -- I'm going to do staggered studs in the office area to hopefully reduce the amount of noise coming in and going out of the office from the living space above. Do I need to do any hat channels/clips on the walls in this case or only on the ceiling? Should I decouple the wall from the ceiling as well using hat channel / clips at the top of the staggered stud walls?

Thanks!
Ryan
post #39 of 40 Old 12-08-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

OK so I'm about to get going with phase 1 of my theater build; which is actually not the theater itself. I'll be building my server room and office as depicted in the drawing below. I'm moving the office over here which will open up the area adjacent to the proposed theater entirely for the theater. Theater / Guest bedroom will be phase 2 of this project. Planning on ordering supplies from soundproofingcompany this week and getting the buildout started shortly thereafter. Purchased OVRX Barricade subflooring from Home Depot to be used in the office area as well. I apologize in advance for the length of this post but would appreciate any advice that can be provided to my questions below!

I have a few questions which I'll detail below.

Floorplan design:

Here are some pictures of the area, forgive the mess, we've moved all our junk into the basement while the upstairs is renovated. smile.gif

Couple notes:
  1. Office area will be built with double walls and a hat / channel ceiling. Per advice from John at Sound Proofing Company, I'll be using blocking in between the floor joists to allow me to recess the hat channel a bit more and therefore save ceiling space (ceilings are 7').
  2. All walls will be 3/4" OSB, GG, and 5/8" drywall. Walls will be clipped to floor joists via IB-3 clips.
  3. Floor joists will have 5/8" drywall, GG, and 5/8" drywall attached to the upstairs subfloor.
  4. Ceiling will have 5/8" drywall, GG and 5/8" drywall attached to the hat channel.
  5. OVRX Barricade subfloor will be installed after walls have been run. Carpet will be installed overtop.
  6. I'll be using all sconce lighting. Considering lighting such as: http://www.amazon.com/AF-Lighting-617604-Contemporary-Collection/dp/B005BPBT9K/ref=sr_1_56?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1354895291&sr=1-56
  7. I have an HVAC contractor converting my system to be able to use zones and a zone will be installed for the Office.
  8. The server room will have a fan pulling air directly outside. I live in a moderately cool environment (Maryland) and feel that I can adequately cool the room with fresh air.
  9. Both doors will be 36" solid core doors and I'm considering using the door soundproofing products provided by soundproofing company. If I do, I'll use a hard surface threshold at the doorway to allow the automatic door bottom to seal.

Couple questions:

1. I'm planning on adding both an HVAC supply and a return to the office area but not sure of the best way of getting it into the room. I can pull it off of the main trunk line as the trunk is adjacent to this room, but I'm not sure if I should go through the ceiling and add a soffit below, or if I should go through the wall?
  2. If I go through the wall, should I go into a soffit on the ceiling or should I build a soffit on the exterior of the wall and have the HVAC venting be flush on the wall?
  3. If I go through the wall, wouldn't I be coupling the two walls together with the HVAC pipe going between?
  4. John said I should consider doing a deadvent instead, but my concern is how I would be supplying heat / air conditioning into this room without the HVAC hookup? Is the assumption that the air coming from the rest of the basement would remain moderate and therefore the office would stay at a good temperature?
  5. Anything else i'm missing? I'm trying to get my orders in this week to begin work shortly.

Thanks!
Ryan
post #40 of 40 Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

So how does everyone like this idea for the HVAC supply and return? I would build the soffit exterior to the room on the wall and then connect them to the system at the top and pass through to the bottom in the room. I would use acoustical sealant where the piping went through the double walls and would use DD/GG on the outside of the soffiting as well. Would this introduce the triple leave effect?

Thanks!
Ryan
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page