Acoustical Treatment with open wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This sketch below shows a three sided room I'm doing in new home starting next month.
I read here about putting sound proofing in the walls but with the one left side open to living area anyway is a waste of $$

It is slab with 10' ceiling R-30,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

ok, did I post this in the wrong place?

anyone?
post #3 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
What exactly is your question? Are you asking if it will be a waste of money only treating 3 walls or did you already come to that conclusion?

Keeping sound from leaving that space is impossible without enclosing it and treating all 4 walls and the ceiling. And "treating" involves more than just putting insulation in the walls.

Is there a spare bedroom in the house that might make a better location?
post #4 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

If I needed a nasty answer now I know who to ask, WTF
post #5 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
It wasn't meant to be nasty. My apologies if it came off that way. I've reread your post and I'm still not sure what your question is. Just trying to point out that putting insulation in 3 walls will not yield satisfactory results and that choosing that particular location might not be the best option if soundproofing is one of your goals. That's why I asked about a spare bedroom.
post #6 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

It wasn't meant to be nasty. My apologies if it came off that way. I've reread your post and I'm still not sure what your question is. Just trying to point out that putting insulation in 3 walls will not yield satisfactory results and that choosing that particular location might not be the best option if soundproofing is one of your goals. That's why I asked about a spare bedroom.

+1. I also did not think your reply was ill-mannered.

What exactly is the question Jimbo?

Alexander Reynolds
GIK Acoustics
post #7 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

The ? is that due to fact that I have access to open walls as a new build

I was asking if I should bother putting some type of sound proofing in the three surrounding walls before the drywall is installed.

tks
post #8 of 15 Old 11-12-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I would say it is not worth to spend money on soundproofing unless you treat the entire room. So the short answer is "No"
post #9 of 15 Old 11-13-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 12
The only reason I can see to install some kind of soundproofing, even as simple as a staggered stud wall (which should help a lot), would be to help with sound getting into the bedrooms.

From the drawing you provided, there are 2 bedrooms adjacent to the theater (not sure what the room to the top of the picture is/will be). Again, unless you are addressing the bedrooms it will be a wast of time/money.

That being said, for future considerations (growing family, guests, etc) AND that the house is a new construction. I might encourage you to consider the staggered stud and insulation surrounding this room. It would be the cheapest solution for the maximum impact. And like I was saying, future considerations. It is a lot easier to work with it now, as opposed to living in it and tearing it back out to fix something....

Beyond that. Focus on you acoustical treatments to knock down on echo and bass build-up.. GOOD LUCK!
post #10 of 15 Old 11-13-2012, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

We are not concerned about noise being heard in the adjacent bedrooms, no kids just 2 of us.

The staggered stud wouldn't have much effect in my plan I think.

What about bass and echo effects any input along those lines?
post #11 of 15 Old 11-13-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
The sound is definately going to travel, especially since this is an open room in the middle of the home. You can help absorb some of the bass with carpet, some wall panels, etc, but at the end of the day, sound is still going to work it's way around.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-19-2012, 05:45 AM

Liked: 12
Bass and echo effects....

From the layout I can see a good and bad...

In most theater scenarios, the room is completely enclosed. Thus sound is reflecting/bouncing around and needs to be controlled within the theater space. Obviously, with the open wall the sound is going to leave the space. However, it COULD reflect back into the listening space from the living room, creating an echo effect. Not sure how you plan to decorate the living room but some acoustical treatments could help out.

You could even make you own artwork/acoustical treatments. Make a 1-2" deep frame and fill with insulation panels/Rockwool etc. and then cover with a material with a nice pattern on it (maybe something that matches the furniture in the living room...let the wife pick it out!tongue.gif) and hang them in the living room, foyer, etc. This will help with the echo from the theater AND general echo in the living room.... Just nice, warm acoustics all the way around. (Hint: my wife responded to that phrase "nice, warm acoustics" when I made wall panels for our front hallway to control the echo)cool.gif

Sound will leave the room, you just don't want it coming back.... hope it helps!
post #13 of 15 Old 11-19-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

tks

I think I'll wait and see how it sounds, I wanted to cover the issue of what if anything to do during the build.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-19-2012, 11:40 AM

Liked: 16
Like what was said, there's really nothing you can do to keep the sound from leaving that section of the room. If you don't care about soundproofing, then there isn't really anything to do during construction. Once construction is finished, it would behoove you to put up acoustic treatments to prevent echoing. However, This could be rather complicated considering that the speakers are not centered in the room and that the sound will hit the walls on your sides at different times. You'll need to do a lot of careful calculations to make sure the echoes don't drastically affect you when you're watching.

Like you have decided, perhaps it would just be best to install it and see what happens.

On another note, you may get more support in a different forum. This section is intended to help people with dedicated theaters, which yours isn't. You will likely find better support and possibly more knowledge and experience in either the General Home Theater & Media Room subforum. I'm not trying to be rude, but the responses above you thought of as rude will not be found if you post in the forum with people more experienced and interested in what you're doing.

Good luck with the build! Let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out. biggrin.gif

post #15 of 15 Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

thanks
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page