Why aren't more screen walls filled with Acoustic Treatment (Roxul, OC703, etc)? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Very good tips man! Thanks for the link. IDK if ill go the extra step of 1.5" thick and GG in between though, my 5/8" drywall doesnt have any problems effectively confining the acoustic energy inside my theater in the form of standing waves ;-)

Still, thank you for the info sir!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Wow great thread. Great conversation and info. Bookmarked.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #33 of 37 Old 08-02-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I'm pretty stoked about this project. I'll post pictures of the actual install and measurement data. I have measurement data for the speaker kinda free field and on its back to compare with the in baffle wall measurements so I should be able to see whats happening.....

I expect some omni "seepage" around the baffle panels down around crossover but I'm not as concerned in this region as the overlap of the subs should mitigate any SBIR that occurs as well as the wall now stuffed with Roxul. The region I'm most concerned with is approx 150-500Hz which was traditionally pretty ragged in my theater.
post #34 of 37 Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

Here is an image illustrating what I intend to do:

Baffles in Red and Roxul in Green:

I'm really glad that you are bringing up these issues for discussion.

I wish I could say that I have answers for you, but I really oly have more questions. But for what it is worth, I'm planning on almost the exact same scenario for my screen wall area.

One perhaps relevant difference is that the speakers I'm using are in-wall speakers that are presumably designed for a baffle wall type installation.

In my particular example, starting from the front wall (which is constructed of double 5/8" drywall on decoupled framing with green glue in between), I'm planning on:

- 2" Linacoustic on the drywall
- approximately 8-12" of air space
- approximately 8-12" of pink insulation
- baffle wall constructed of 2x4" framing with 18-24" of open framing (no drywall) above and below the middle where the speakers will be mounted
- two layers of 1/2" drywall with green glue in between
- 2" Linacoustic on the drywall
- a few inches of empty space
- screen wall constructed in the minimalist fashion of Mr. Big's design
- AT fabric and AT screen on the screen wall

The speakers will be enclosed in a 3/4" MDF box and attached to the baffle wall framing with IB3 isolation clips. I was not planning on any toe in.

One question that I haven't yet found an answer to is whether the front plane of the speakers should be mounted flush with the drywall (as would happen in any standard installation of speakers where they are visible on the wall) or if they should be mounted with their face in the same plane as the 2" Linacoustic which is applied to the listener facing side of the baffle wall.

And for discussion, when I asked my speaker manufacturer about how much drywall needs to be around the speakers for them to function optimally, he said a couple of feet. I mentioned that I didn't think I would have that much space to accommodate such an installation, he replied that the likely side effect would simply be a bit of a peak around 2000 Hz.

You mentioned that you would be able to measure the response of your speakers/room. I am going to investigate getting some measurement equipment of my own. We should compare notes in the end.

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #35 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 232
I am currently converting a 2 car garage to a dedicated HT. We have a 6' space that will be behind a 14' wide AT screen with my front 3 speakers being JBL 2360a horns on top of Klipsch La Scala bass bins with a Danley DTS sub. Which would be better for my situation... Baffle wall or just AT screen with damping on the rear wall (the whole room is a double walled construction with 1 layer OSB, and 1 layer drywall with GG between)?

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
post #36 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hey ellisr63, I think we met at RMK!'s GTG a few months back. Good to hear your build is coming along. I'm definitely interested in hearing some answers to your question, as I'm in the same boat right now. It seems like this is a very common question with a lot of people talking about it in other threads as well.

Subscribed.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #37 of 37 Old 05-15-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by uopdrmark View Post

Hey ellisr63, I think we met at RMK!'s GTG a few months back. Good to hear your build is coming along. I'm definitely interested in hearing some answers to your question, as I'm in the same boat right now. It seems like this is a very common question with a lot of people talking about it in other threads as well.

Subscribed.
Yup, that was me. smile.gif

Denon 4520ci, 3 JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, 3 1/4 Pie bass bins, MiniDSP 2x4s, 4 Klipsch HIPs, 2 Klipsch KP3002s, PS3, XBox 360, 3 Intel NUCs, Monoprice Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 SUPER SPUD subs, Panasonic AE8000u, and a Yamaha P7000s.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page