grounded by the wife! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 318
There is this thread called Cruising the AVS Forum while intoxicated... that is sorta buried in the "Theater Room Items & Accessories " forum.

And what happened to me a few days back got me thinking to a thread titled ...... grounded by the wife! wink.gif

Useless thread but I thought it might be fun, and appropriate in the Dedicated Theater Design & Construction forum, as that is where lot's of $$$ are spent - at times w/o the wife really knowing what's happening till the gear shows up..
So, what purchase got you in the doghouse and grounded by the wife?

Mine is the new Denon 4520CI, which arrives hopefully next week .
Too excited so I started this thread to kill time.
(I tried explaining why I needed 11.2 speakers in our 18.5 foot long x 14.5 foot wide home theater.....and it went downhill from there)

1) what purchase got you in the doghouse? How long were you "grounded" rolleyes.gif
2) or are you getting some gear soon and duly expect to be grounded for buying it? (new speakers, cylindrical anamorphic lens, 4k PJ upgrade, Darbee vision darblet, etc)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-13-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I usually just take what I want to spend and then buy a purse or pair of shoes of equal value. She gets something expensive and I get something expensive. The end result is that they cancel one another out and nothing ever happened.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-13-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Uh oh Mike, be careful! We don't want your wife too mad at you about home theater equipment purchases or she may not let us have any more HEMI meets at your house. She will claim we are a bad influence when in reality we are actually a support group biggrin.gif.

Nick
post #4 of 22 Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
It has been suggested to me that flying Dennis or Adam to Sydney for calibration may result in an extended stay in the dog house !

What should I do ???

Cheers,
post #5 of 22 Old 11-13-2012, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post

It has been suggested to me that flying Dennis or Adam to Sydney for calibration may result in an extended stay in the dog house !
What should I do ???
Cheers,

Ha! Dude is there really no one on the entire continent qualified?

Sorry if I sound like your wife. Good stuff.

Here is mine. I had talked to my wife about doing soundproofing and that is would mean taking the existing drywall down. But, I never actually got the go ahead. So when she came home and tried to park the minivan in the garage this is what she saw.

photo-6.jpg

At that point the cat was out of the bag and I had "some splaining to do"!
post #6 of 22 Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 227
My wife is generally very cool about the expenses - since I'm the tight-wad around here. It's the time schedule that gets her worked up. When the story started breaking that CHT (my planned speaker and sub source) was probably going to close, I suggested to her that I might just build some speakers instead. That was met with a resounding and immediate "No!"

Worse, actually, was when she overheard me tell someone at a party that it might take another year to finish... rut roh.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-14-2012, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

What should I do ???
Cheers,

BAHAHAHA! if you dont you know it'll be like putting sump oil in a Ferarri

P.S. I'll speak with my two, but I am sure you'd be more than welcome and comfortable in my dog house biggrin.gif

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #8 of 22 Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:

What should I do ???
Cheers,

After having visited a room done by Dennis and Adam, I'd suggest purchasing a plane ticket and acquiring a taste for dog food. smile.gif Sounds like a worthwhile trade to me!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #9 of 22 Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

My wife is generally very cool about the expenses - since I'm the tight-wad around here. It's the time schedule that gets her worked up. When the story started breaking that CHT (my planned speaker and sub source) was probably going to close, I suggested to her that I might just build some speakers instead. That was met with a resounding and immediate "No!"
Worse, actually, was when she overheard me tell someone at a party that it might take another year to finish... rut roh.
Same here. The wife is pretty good about accepting my "purchases" and sometimes I have to talk her out of things when I was the one that originally suggested it. Timing is another story, however, as she thinks everything can be done quickly. Fortunately, I'm in the final phases and I'm hoping to finish a few months early! (Plus, she keeps popping up side projects that take away from my time in the theater.)

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #10 of 22 Old 11-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post

Time is a big factor for my wife too. However, replacing my month and a half old plate amp with an iNuke 3000 dsp got me grounded big time. I've got to report all purchases directly to the boss now. biggrin.gif
post #11 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mine has no problem with me spending money on the theater, or any other hobby I have. I'm lucky I guess. Not to sound like an A$$ but she accepts that I make the money and I get to chose where it goes. She does however think I am crazy every time I wanna do something to improve sound. I'll get that "but it sounds fine that way it is" and then after the upgrade I the "wow you were right it sounds amazing!" Hmm, when I type it, it does sound a bit sacrastic lol!
carboranadum likes this.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife and I have a budget system that includes an allowance for each of us. What we spend our allowance on is our own business, if I want to blow it on booze and hookers so be it... I would be grounded / dead for the hooker portion but not because I spent the money. biggrin.gif
post #13 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkpenguin View Post

Mine has no problem with me spending money on the theater, or any other hobby I have. I'm lucky I guess. Not to sound like an A$$ but she accepts that I make the money and I get to chose where it goes. She does however think I am crazy every time I wanna do something to improve sound. I'll get that "but it sounds fine that way it is" and then after the upgrade I the "wow you were right it sounds amazing!" Hmm, when I type it, it does sound a bit sacrastic lol!

About the same for me and my wife. She never sees the finances. She knows we have college funds and 401k and all our savings taken care of, so she always says, as long a we can afford it, get it.

Granted, it goes both ways, we both just always tell each other about an upcoming purchase.
post #14 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Liked: 12
My wife is good about most purchases, but I'm somewhat handcuffed because my income pays about 90% of our expenses, so hers is the disposable portion. Fortunately she makes good money and will only go up. I definitely feel both blessed and lucky. She is more stingy with MY time. She wants me to do more of the kid stuff because she is often busy with work things. A few months ago, it was "I want the basement done so we can put the kid stuff down there." Here we are, 3 months later with the basement 90% and I get "I'm tired of talking about the basement." I can't win...

As for the doghouse, I only land there when I buy something and then want to sell it. Mostly with camera gear. This works in my favor though, as when I'm looking at something now I always get the "You aren't going to want something better in 6 months, are you?" So now I just cut to the chase and get whatever I REALLY want up front.
post #15 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
My wife is (THANKFULLY!) pretty patient with most of the expenditures that I have been making. But I think that she realizes that I have 3 sources of income that are padding these purchases. ( Military retirement, VA Disability... and my current job ) and she makes pretty good money herself. As long as it all goes in to the budget, she is fine with it. IN FACT she has suggested getting more expensive stuff than I originally wanted... of course after a lot of "arm twisting" I went with her suggestion.
post #16 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Funny how this thread started as a dog house thread and most of the posts are about understanding wives. Very cool.

I brought home my first Sony CRT projector in 1999. My wife said "What do we need that for? What is wrong with our Trinitron"? I fired it up and converged it and connected the DirecTV box to it. After a month she said she could never go back to a small screen. Every time we travel she invariably comments on the small screen in the hotel room. Even the more upscale rooms that have 40"-42' displays.

Since that time I have had more CRT Projectors, followed by digitals, than I can remember (it is an addiction). My wife, bless her, has learned not to ask me what stuff cost. I suppose 'cause she would rather not know. In any event, I am pretty good with still being able to buy toys, even after 30 years of marriage.

Willie
post #17 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Funny how this thread started as a dog house thread and most of the posts are about understanding wives.

Yeah really! Go start you own thread. This one is for b!#^h'n. wink.gif
post #18 of 22 Old 11-16-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograveconcern View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Funny how this thread started as a dog house thread and most of the posts are about understanding wives.

Yeah really! Go start you own thread. This one is for b!#^h'n. wink.gif

Ha - this thread is meant to be tounge in cheek how all - or some - of us try and pass gear by our wife/sig other and sometimes get caught, sometimes not.

Even including those times we had their verbal approval, then when the gear showed up (or we did whatever to our HT space - like tear down walls/etc aka "jedimastergrant"), their eyes opened wide, their words spewed out, or even worse nothing spewed out.....

Have fun with it all, I've enjoyed reading some of the stories, I've got a few more to share also....
post #19 of 22 Old 11-17-2012, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Someone should start a song parody of this thread. Grounded by the wife sung to the tune of Blinded by the Light.
post #20 of 22 Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So Monday Dec-31 Fedex showed up...just a box from PE with 5lbs of subwoofer filler....not the 18" or 12" driver I ordered nor the NU3000....

My wife asked "what's in the box"....me "just some stuffing to improve subwoofer performance" biggrin.gif

I'm waiting for the real stuff to show up Thrsday, then I'll get the phone call at work....rolleyes.gif

I'm sure with Christmas there's gotta be some good ones to add here by others...
post #21 of 22 Old 01-01-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I talk about for a year before buying it, so there are no surprises.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #22 of 22 Old 07-13-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 43

I'd been itching for reference-level-capable front speakers for a couple years. I went the SEOS route, and she helped me build them, but she said, "That's enough for now!"

But then the subwoofer was the bottleneck! Ahh HT...it's like a whack-a-mole bottleneck chasing game!

I "snuck" the purchases of the 4' box flat pack, 18" driver, and then the amp. The iNuke is what really let the cat out of the bag as we both get the Amazon order update emails.

As I finish building it, I've had to make a few trips to Menards and order a couple minor parts, like Speakon connectors.

"Just tell me how much this sub is going to cost," she demanded. "If it's going to be $1,000+ then you're just going to have to wait a while."

"No, Baby," I replied. The big stuff is in, it's like a $600 sub, the amp can power a second sub [not sure if it was good or bad to mention a 'second sub'], and I just needed a few $10 parts. Almost done!"

We both contribute amounts to a shared family expenses account, proportional to what we make. Thus, we each have our own disposable income. Works in theory, but lately she wants us to use disposable income towards home improvement. ;)

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page