Ahh..Laminate floor in my "home theater", please assist in my dilemma/strategy - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long story short, this is my prospective Home Theater:

Rough top-down blueprint:
rec%2520room.jpg

Pic from Position 5 (ignore the junk):
2010-11-16_07-47-18_123.jpg

Yes, the space is not ideal but it I have to use it.

It has wall to wall laminate which echoes extremely well. I'm obviously concerned about reflections.

I'm tentatively planning to have the A/V at the 2 position and listening from the 5.

Can't afford $500 for W2W carpet despite being the best options.

The question: Can strategically placed throw rugs or carpet remedy this issue? Are there any techniques or general rules of thumb known to work? I'm even entertaining the idea of tiles on the walls and ceiling if I have to.

The goal is to do this in a tasteful, budget conscious manner. I'm sure this seems pretty half-@$$ed to some but this is part of exploring every single option before I commit, and I'm sure others have experienced this problem. I did do a search but couldn't find anything specific to throw rugs/carpeting sections used in this way..

W2W Carpet in basements is a scary thing, I do have an older house I just moved into to and while I have no leak or moisture issues, I’d rather find out with crap laminate, then to tear up my new carpet.

My speakers are Polk Monitor Series II's, CS2 Center flanked by M70's, M40-Rears with a BIC V1020 sub running via Denon 5.1 receiver.

Any experience with this would be extremely helpful.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Go to a carpet wholesale store and get an end of the roll deal and use area rugs, i had laminate in my theater and was horrible for sound and reflection, now I am in total remodel stage, everything ripped out. Not much a person can do but use area rugs.

-----------------------------------------------
Chase "Fetch"

Current Theater Build

New House Build

post #3 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I agree, an area rug would be easiest. It might or might not be good enough for you, depending on how discriminating you are.

My HT is ~ 14' x 14', with wood laminate floor. I went to a bargain outlet and got an 8' x 10' Persian style rug for about 100 bucks. (A similar rug runs about 200 bucks at Lowes, for instance.)
post #4 of 14 Old 11-14-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Some wall mounted sound absorbing panels would do a lot too. Especially on the side walls to catch first reflection from the left and right speakers, and on the wall housing the TV. Carpet on the wall won't do much of anything though.

You could build some decent panels from rigid fiberglass insulation or duct board.

High Desert Theater - work in progress
Building Bass - Subs

Surrounds - Easy as Pi

Storage - unRAID unDELL

post #5 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I guess nothing revolutionary needs to be done here. Pretty much what I was planning on doing.

I do however question the rigid float idea. I have some extra left over from a project and just testing it with my own voice and doing a "pssst" sound I found it localizing and reflecting a little. I would think a softer, porous panel would be much better.

Anyone with before/after experience in using wall panels in a reflective room?
post #6 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio4me View Post

Thanks for the replies.
I guess nothing revolutionary needs to be done here. Pretty much what I was planning on doing.
I do however question the rigid float idea. I have some extra left over from a project and just testing it with my own voice and doing a "pssst" sound I found it localizing and reflecting a little. I would think a softer, porous panel would be much better.
Anyone with before/after experience in using wall panels in a reflective room?

2 inch rigid insulation wrapped in a fabric frame should do the job. My favorites are the Chameleon frames.
post #7 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post

I think the notion that a reflective floor is an acoustic nightmare only tamed adequately with wall to wall carpeting is a home theater thing.
I think that's true - I think with enough other acoustic features in a room (whether designed deliberate treatments or simply furniture and people), there's no harm in a hard floor; however, it's easy in a sparsely decorated room to have troublesome flutter echo between the floor and ceiling.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 54
The key if you have reflective floors is the ceiling. Often the most offensive surfaces acoustically are the floor and ceiling due, in part, to their respective surface areas. One MUST be treated. It is often easiest and cheaper to treat the floor. I.e. wall to wall carpeting. If the floor is not treated, then the ceiling must be...and well treated at that.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #9 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Shawn - I've understood from reading (Toole) that foam carpet pad is not as good for sound as a felt pad - which Toole describes as "common" - but it seems like most installers carry and recommend foam pads. Can you comment? Is the difference meaningful?

(I hope this isn't to much of a distraction from the OP's question - I think it's germane, and I hope he's understanding.)
post #10 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Carpet in itself is not thick enough to affect too much except the highest frequencies. However, being close to the boundary may offer some measurable difference but this is really frequency dependent. In my opinion, carpet assists in the reduction of reverberation. You can address more broadband absorption on the ceiling. Foam has never been a popular choice for absorption (open vs closed cell) and its density (mass) will likely be less than that of felt. From that point of view, I can see where Toole is coming from. However, the carpet guys may like foam because it is probably lighter and easier to carry and it is likely more resilient than felt.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

post #11 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo View Post

it is likely more resilient than felt.

Foam or rubber is cheaper with massive margins, thats why they use it (in Australia at any rate).

Felt is actually a lot more resiliant and used in large commercial (office) flooring jobs - it keeps its shape (flatness) unlike rubber and foam which compresses to easily and doesn't withstand the wear and tear

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #12 of 14 Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Resiliant part was a guess, so I stand corrected on that one. Thanks Elill!

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group

post #13 of 14 Old 11-16-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Some good information here, I appreciate the discussion.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What did you end up doing and how did it work out ? I have hard laminate floors in a room with two 12 foot high brick walls and am struggeling with reflections too.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page