Help with hiding all my A/V equipment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought my first house about a year ago and plan to finish my basment sometime in the near future. I plan to mount a 60"+ LED TV on the wall and run all my a/v lines to the utility room where I will have my A/V equipment. (I also might do a projector but not sure yet) I will have a dirctv receiver, PS3 and Home theatre receiver. My question is, how would I control these decives from the family room since they are all hidden. Im already running my Directv receiver upstairs on R/F since its hidden in the closet so I probably can't do that with this one since they will most likely interfere. I'm new to all this and any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 356
The DirecTV RF remotes are "paired" with the receiver - you can use more than one with no problems...

If you put the whole stack in one location, you can use an HDMI-over-cat5e extender with IR repeating to handle this. I'd recommend the HDBaseT technology to do this, and Monoprice has a great little unit which includes IR repeating as well as Ethernet in the mix:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8123&seq=1&format=2

Also, spend some time reading in the 'Home A/V Disttribution" forum a few down from here, where this topic is common...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #3 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 08:08 AM

I have the exact same setup... Search logitech RF remotes (Logitech's Harmony 890), they do have more advanced models but they are awesome!
post #4 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far. I have one question though, why would I need to hook up cat5? Can anyone show me a wiaring diagram?

Thanks again...
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 09:19 AM

Liked: 13
Pretty much what's been said here. In general you would use either an IR repeater kit or an RF remote.
post #6 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 09:51 AM

I did try an ir repeater first, that being said my lighting in my theater badly affected it when i tried using my remotes, it was a pain. Bought the logitech remote it worked flawlessly.. (Not saying that you would have the same problem, but just throwing it out there)....
post #7 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 09:54 AM

Liked: 12
I have a pair of Harmony 900 remotes for my basement. One for my theater, one for the living room. They work quite well. A little lag sometimes, but overall very good. The lag was noticed when adjusting the volume on my Denon. I moves very slowly 1 touch at a time. But if you hold it down, the lag could bite you and take the volume too high. It's a bit of a balancing act.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Or in other words, just buy a harmony remote and it should be able to control my future a/v receiver and directv without interfering with my upstairs directv thats using RF? It sounds like I shouldnt have to worry about my ps3 since its bluetooth and will only be about 15 feet away and only traveling through one wall.

Does that sound right?

Thanks
post #9 of 9 Old 11-21-2012, 10:14 AM

I have two rf direct tv remotes in my house and the logitech remote, there is no interference with the logitech remote.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page