Cable pulling issue between floors - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Trying to run a cat-5 cable from my router in my living room to my theater downstairs and I'm trying to figure out the cable pull. It is not a straight pull, it's up a wall, across a ceiling and through a floor.

In the same location there is a RG-6 cable that goes into my cable mode. So there is 1 wire already there, I just need to pull a second wire immediately next to it. Are there any tools out there to assist with this type of pull? I thought about pulling the existing RG-6 cable with a line attached to the other end, then affixing the CAT-5 to that same RG-6 cable and pulling back through via the line. I also thought about attaching my pull tool to the RG-6 cable with a lose zip tie and seeing if the attached zip tie will allow the pull tool to follow the patch of the existing wire making it possible to fish that way. My fear is if something goes wrong and I can't get that RG-6 cable back to the original location I'm screwed and now I have to relocate my entire networking system.

The house was built in the 70's and the guy that owned it before me was a DIY hack. The RG-6 cable on one end just goes through the carpet, it doesn't even have a wall plate. So I'm hoping like most things in the home he didn't affix the cable to the floor joists in the ceiling.

Any advice on a project like this? Is there anything on the market that can help this issue? Am I over thinking my solution?

I Golf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 01:05 PM

Assuming you have a basement: Do the long direct run. Drop down to basement and run the cable to the wall which is a direct run. Many years doing this by the way.

Going on 4 years to finish a 2 week upgrade...

post #3 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

I live in a split level, so everything is finished. I can't get to anything with out tearing up the dry wall.

I Golf
post #4 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Wireless router? That's what I'm using right now for streaming. Works fine with my Comcast cable service.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #5 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

I'm streaming 1080p mkv files with HD audio, so were talking 20gb files. I've got a ton of bandwidth and wireless just isn't enough

I Golf
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Ethernet over coax... (MoCA)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page