AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Dedicated Theater Design & Construction (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/)
-   -   New theater build - seating suggestions/opinions (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-dedicated-theater-design-construction/1440418-new-theater-build-seating-suggestions-opinions.html)

MBRICHARD 11-21-2012 08:31 AM

After what SEEMS like forever (bought house in 2006) my theater is FINALLY coming to fruition. The room is actually a giant bonus room, subdivided into a gym and theater. The theater portion gives me 13' width to play with for seating. The total dimensions are 13' W X 18' D, 10.5/13' ceilings (it's built up and vaulted in sections- the SCREEN real estate I get on the wall is 10.5'W X 7.5'H).

So the floor goes down in the next 7-10 days, and then it's seating time. Here's where I am looking for some feedback/opinions. After searching these forums extensively, I have come to the conclusion my issue is not unique- my wife is pushing for a sectional type sofa/lounge setup (she continually stresses she wants to be able to lie down/fall asleep on it if she wants...) , and of course my vision all along has been for theater recliners of some sort.

Any suggestions/comments on what you guys in similar situations have done is welcome! I am TRYING to push her to a 3-4 seat recliner setup with a love seat combo- issue that has arisen of course is width- most are around 155-161 that I have looked at, and I'll need some room to get around the seating . (I have double french doors that open inward at the rear of the theater, and the entrance is on the side, about 2/3 back, opening into the room.) SO- I have limitations on what I can do width wise. (I am thinking the BIGGEST I could go is about 130" across...give or take) And that's pushing it...

Hoping to keep it under $2,000.00 if possible. (and that's my absolute ceiling- ideally we initially budgeted around 1,000, but that quickly proved to be barely enough to get anything that would satisfy either if us)

For the curious, I have an Epson 8350 on the way, and will be doing an Elite or JT 120". (Assuming that's the size I decide on- I will be doing wall tests all next week to finalize screen decision...)

Thanks for any input. Cheers!

MR

mn_hokie 11-21-2012 08:52 AM

One nice compromise here is to do a set of 4 recliners up front where the middle 2 seats are a loveseat. This basically just means that you're short one shared armrest, but it's what I almost did in my current build.This setup came in at 124" in length, so there are definately other options out there is length is an issue. If you're interested, take a look at my current build thread. They are the Pepper (also called Playback) model from Palliser.

If the budget is too tight on those, I used Coaster Showtimes the last time around. I'm not sure if they offer a loveseat option, but it would save you some money.

MBRICHARD 11-21-2012 10:54 AM

Thanks so much- oddly enough I had the Pacifico pulled up online to show her later today. (Same setup you described, with love seat in middle, flanked by 2 seats) Comes in at 120"-129", straight vs. curved. This comes in a touch over budget, but I'm getting closer to something that MAY appease the wife and keep my theater looking like, well, a theater wink.gif Appreciate the input- I am enjoying reading your build thread, as well!

mn_hokie 11-21-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRICHARD View Post

Thanks so much- oddly enough I had the Pacifico pulled up online to show her later today. (Same setup you described, with love seat in middle, flanked by 2 seats) Comes in at 120"-129", straight vs. curved. This comes in a touch over budget, but I'm getting closer to something that MAY appease the wife and keep my theater looking like, well, a theater wink.gif Appreciate the input- I am enjoying reading your build thread, as well!

Thanks, and feel free to comment. Always open for suggestions.

My wife wasn't to keen on the pricing of the Palliser's at first either, but once they were installed, she loved them.

MBRICHARD 11-23-2012 08:42 AM

Well, my "dilemma" has has been SOMEWHAT eliminated- After 2 weeks of the wife insisting she wants a sectional, she hit the stores today for furniture shopping, and wouldn't you know, the FIRST thing she sends me a picture of is a 4 seat, power reclining, theater arrangement. smile.gif (I am home with contractors today, so she is doing the "scouting" for me)