Do I need to address the floor (sound control) in a top floor theatre room or are the walls and ceiling enough? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently building a new home and have not even reached the framing stage so I still have plenty of time to make decisions on the sound control of the theatre room. There would not be a situation where the theatre room would a problem for people on the floor below it. The sound control is needed most for those on the same floor (top floor) where the theatre is located. Our two small boys will have rooms on that level and we currently have decided on the theatre walls and ceiling to have double layered 5/8" drywall on a clip and channel decoupled setup. All 4 walls and the ceiling and floor will be insulated. I think the sound control should be really good with this system. We haven't decided entirely if we are going to do Green Glue between the drywall layers though.

However, as we were thinking more about this while on vacation this week (you really let your mind wander on vacation and only spend more money eek.gif ) we wondered....do we need to address the floor even though there wouldn't be anybody being disturbed below? Especially since the only place we are trying to keep from hearing the theatre is those rooms on the top floor.

Thoughts on what we should be doing in this situation???

We considered going with a pro outfit to do the full design and construction but at this point, the budget has really reached its' breaking point and the builder would prefer not to have an outside company building a single room during the process. This is more of a liability issue than a money issue or wanting to have his guy do the work. If for some reason we walk, not that we would, this is one thing that is really specialized and he would be left holding that bag. So, I have no problem with his guys doing the work as long as we are all on the same page with EXACTLY what needs to be done. I will be supervising every day.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hey Ray. Can you post some drawings of the space? Not only of that floor but what is below it that you don't think will be affected. Conventional wisdom would be to also do soundproofing to the floor. If you don't, the sound will find flanking paths and not only get below, but around to where you don't want it. Best advice I can give you is to talk to Ted at the Soundproofing Company. He will give you the straight scoop as to what your best options are. Also, AVS has a layout service as well. Those two things were the best things I did when I got started with my build.

Good Luck!!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks GW for the reply! Attached is a pic of the theater and one of the space below. It is Roughly 21x18. The area below the theatre (attached pic) that is covered by the theatre is a small portion of the master bedroom, a small portion of the master bath, and about 2/3 of the formal family room. Looking at the area below you can make out the dark outline of the theatre above it.

From all the reading I have done, it seems that the decoupled walls and ceiling with dual layers of drywall are the most effective (for sound dampening and budget compared to Quietrock) method. However, I haven't seen anything that address the floor. I would just hate to spend this money on the drywall and it be for naught if the floor can ruin the entire process. Heck, I'm still not certain on the clips and channel system over just double 5/8" drywall. The boys bedrooms are 16 feet down the hall and have other rooms, stairs, etc, between them.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson
Old 11-23-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 231
There are things that can be done to improve the sound transmission problems you can expect through the floor as well as the attic space. I would say neither should be left out, but you may decide there is a balance to be achieved after speaking with Ted or John at the soundproofing company. They're very knowledgeable - it's worth sending them a message. You may find that they need more detail (like HVAC plans, or directions of joist runs, or who knows what else) about the construction to make an informed recommendation, or it may be simple enough to give you a good idea without too many details - but a conversation is worthwhile for sure.

While we're looking at it - what's the story on the door to the theater? Looks like it's drawn as a double door. If you're serious at all about sound containment, that's going to need to go.

And since I'm on a roll, don't forget ventilation - now is the time to get it straight if you haven't already.

Fred
Old 11-23-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

The double door is a "sealed" solid core. The HVAC is an independent system. We have a separate system for each floor as well as the theatre room.

Just trying to find that balance between cost and smart decisions since we are in the build process. All we have on site right now is the footings and basement walls poured. Framing won't even begin for about 3-4 weeks.

If I didn't have to have an insane garage and workshop built down on the basement level (I'm a car nut), the theater would have gone down there and I wouldn't have to worry nearly as much about this as I do with it on the same level as the boy's rooms.

Cheers,
Ray Johnson
Old 11-23-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 231
Good to know. Suggests to me that you really should go ahead and put aside the half-measures in sound isolation. Of course, it's your budget - and I can certainly understand how it can balloon out of control - all the more reason to run some estimates for the costs of a full treatment, if you haven't already, and speak with a pro.