Advice for decoupling walls - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2012, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I'm making a return to AVS after taking a few years off having built a home theater in my townhouse using lots of advice here. 5 years later I'm in a new home now with an unfinished basement and I'm just starting the planning for a new HT. I'm trying to understand the best way to minimize sound transmission from the HT to the rest of the house.

My room is 18' by 24'. What I have in my room is 3 walls are concrete block, the 4th wall will have a door (or two) and enter into an adjoining room. I'm planning to build a room within a room. So studded walls about 6-8" from concrete walls (that are blanket insulated). I'll fill the new stud wall with R13 insulation. The 4th wall will be an inner wall (the HT side) and then an outer wall for the adjoining room. Both insulated with R13 with about 6-8" between the walls, stud to stud.

Here's what I'm a little confused about. I'm planning to use RSIC L brackets for the inner HT walls. So stud up the walls and attach the wall top plate with the brackets to the floor joist above. I'm most concerned about sound traveling up to the main living area. Not so worried abut the adjoining room which will have a pool table.

Question: If I decouple the inner walls with the RSIC L brackets, can I just do two layers of drywall, with Green Glue, attached directly to HT inner walls? In other words, do I really need to use RSIC brackets with Hat channel on the walls? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt, but it would get expensive fast.

Assuming the walls are properly decoupled with the L brackets, for the ceiling I plan to use the RSIC brackets and channel to mount two layers of drywall, with GG, to the joists. I'll have R19 insulation in between the joists.

So the way I understand it, sound that travels into the HT walls will not travel as easily up into the joists because they are decoupled with the RSIC L brackets. Sound traveling through the ceiling are decoupled due to the RSIC brackets and channels.

Thoughts and advice are appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-26-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:
So the way I understand it, sound that travels into the HT walls will not travel as easily up into the joists because they are decoupled with the RSIC L brackets. Sound traveling through the ceiling are decoupled due to the RSIC brackets and channels.

Correct. And to answer your other question, once you decouple the wall using the L bracket, you can attach the DD+GG directly to the studs.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
post #3 of 5 Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks tlogan! It's all starting to make sense.
post #4 of 5 Old 11-29-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Logan... I see in your avatar your shoe is still stuck to that floor. Did you Green Glue your shoes to the floor... again??

Ted

The Soundproofing Company
post #5 of 5 Old 11-30-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
No, it was nailed there! But a couple of weeks ago I had to cut a hole in my ceiling for one more (final!) pot light and the GG was STILL sticky as ever.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page