Dan's DIY Home Theater - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 57 Old 12-09-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Couple of questions as I prepare for drywall. I've decided to install the riser and the Soffit after the drywall. I'm planning to run a dedicated 14/2 romex in to the riser, and I'll use this to provide outlets for the front row of chairs (back row will be powered from outlets in back wall) as well as step lights. This is straightforward to me.

What I'm a little unclear on is what I'll need to run up in to the Soffit. I plan to have rope lighting in the Soffit...I'm guessing that's ran like any other light? Powered off a switch? Also, my star ceiling. Is that the same way...just needing a 14/2 powered off a switch? Or dues the unit plug in to an outlet? I'm still guessing I'd put a switch the outlet if that's the case.

I know I need to run power for the two circuits that will be can lights. It's just the power/writing for the star ceiling and rope lights I'm uncertain on.

Thanks in advance!

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 57 Old 12-09-2012, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
HopefulFred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 2,814
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I can't help directly with the star ceiling and rope lights - I think there are different ways to do it, depending on the hardware system you want to implement, but I wanted to remind you that if you wire the outlets and step lights together, you won't be able to dim the step lights. You'll be limiting yourself to changing bulb wattage in the event they are too bright or hot. This may turn out to be totally useless information - but there it is.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HopefulFred is offline  
post #33 of 57 Old 01-26-2014, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Been a while since I updated this thread. Need some better pics too. Going to build the vision shroud to cover this projector this week. ta8u9a5y.jpgnererede.jpgna2yrahe.jpga5eqy2ud.jpgha6ezy5y.jpgyhana5u5.jpg

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #34 of 57 Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
*custom shroud, not vision shroud.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #35 of 57 Old 02-09-2014, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Just ordered my seats. Went with one row of 4 and one row of 5. I got the Octane Boost XL700.

They can't get here soon enough!

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #36 of 57 Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
 
7channelfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: North Houston
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I'm really liking your colors and the wood. Now I need to go look up those chairs since I'm not familiar with those. Looks great!
7channelfreak is online now  
post #37 of 57 Old 02-10-2014, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7channelfreak View Post

I'm really liking your colors and the wood. Now I need to go look up those chairs since I'm not familiar with those. Looks great!

Thanks! My wife gets credit for the colors, although it was me that decided to do the stain grade trim in that room. I'll post some nice photos once the seats are installed (hopefully in about a week).

Go check out the seats... I'm really excited about them. Apparently they're exactly like the Lane 103 Matinee.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #38 of 57 Old 02-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Member
 
panino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Indy
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26

Dan, did your order your seats from an online vendor (if so who)?  or did you buy them local?



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
panino is offline  
post #39 of 57 Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by panino View Post

Dan, did your order your seats from an online vendor (if so who)?  or did you buy them local?


I bought from www.theaterseatstore.com.

Tried to buy local, but nobody had stock and everybody needed 6-8 weeks. These guys said they'd have them to me 7 days and the pricing was great plus no sales tax.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #40 of 57 Old 02-14-2014, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Seats installed today. Now I just need to hook up the subs and calibrate the audio, then I can install the speaker grills and call it complete for a while.

ja8ezy4e.jpgmegu3aza.jpg

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #41 of 57 Old 02-14-2014, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Houston
Posts: 1,964
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Nice! You can have a pretty good crowd in there.

Looks like someone has already claimed the first seat.

Spaceman Theater Build


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Spaceman is offline  
post #42 of 57 Old 02-14-2014, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Nice! You can have a pretty good crowd in there.

Looks like someone has already claimed the first seat.

The kids treat it like a damn jungle gym, LOL. That's why I didn't go all out on seats this round. With the kids being able to double up, we should be able to get a good body count in there. First movie night with company is next weekend. We're stoked.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #43 of 57 Old 02-17-2014, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Today is the day when I'll install the projector cover that I built, and finally hookup my two 12" subs.

Once those two items are done, then I'll calibrate the projector for PQ and the receiver audio.

Pics to come later.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #44 of 57 Old 02-17-2014, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Man your room is screaming for a 2.35 screen.

Would my projector even be able to handle that?

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #45 of 57 Old 02-17-2014, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'll play with it later this week.

I'm assuming pretty much any Bluray is going to be 2.35:1?

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #46 of 57 Old 02-17-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by W00lly View Post

Yep. What size is your screen now. When I'm watching 16:9 material my screen is a 120 diagnal I do not mask the sides as it does not bother me.


By the way Dan your theater turned out pretty sweet.

Thanks! Screen is 110" 16:9 Acoustically Transparent Dragonfly. I'm really happy with it. Just finished watching Captain Phillips.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #47 of 57 Old 03-20-2014, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Finally got to a few finishing touches, like the PJ cover. That is sweet. I routed it at all out MDF, making sure to leave huge holes for the intake and exhaust, then wrapped it with some black AT cloth. Only thing that would make it better is if the cloth was brown.

ma5uzema.jpg

za5e5a6e.jpg

u3u8u5y6.jpg

aja3u2e5.jpg

We've been using the room like crazy and love it. My cousin is just getting in the A/V business and is going to have done photos professionally taken for his brochure. I'll post those when I get them.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #48 of 57 Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
nichol1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Theater looks great! I wish I could fit 5 seats in the back row of my theater but my door is in the back so I have to leave room for a walkway.

Did you install the mini split system?
nichol1997 is offline  
post #49 of 57 Old 03-30-2014, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nichol1997 View Post

Theater looks great! I wish I could fit 5 seats in the back row of my theater but my door is in the back so I have to leave room for a walkway.

Did you install the mini split system?

I didn't go with the mini split. I ended up replacing all the duct work in the entire home, the furnace and the A/C as I was finishing the basement. The HVAC contractor ran two 7" ducts (flex duct) and a cold air return (also does duct) to the theater and so far it works great. We did do the duct work in such a way that I want to go the route of the mini split later, we could easily do so.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm excited about the 9 seats, though we've only used all of them once so far. I'll pack it full for some spring events though... Looking forward to that.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #50 of 57 Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
230-SEAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 610
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks nice! I too envy your 9 seats!

-Sean
230-SEAN is offline  
post #51 of 57 Old 07-08-2014, 09:00 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Your room looks great! The pics have been very helpful becuase my room is very close to your dimensions and has the double door on the side in almost the same spot. I am also looking at putting in 9 seats. I am trying to figure out how to place the lights in the room. How many recessed lights did you place around the perimeter of the room? Flood or Spotlight bulbs? Now that you've been in the room for awhile, would you do anything different? Did you ultimately put the rope lighting inor along the soffit? Did you put it behind the crown molding? What kind did you use? How did you wire it? Is all your lighting dimmable and controlled by remote? Is it part of your remote control system for your components? Sorry for so many questions, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!
sward83 is offline  
post #52 of 57 Old 07-13-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sward83, first of all, thanks for the kind words and sorry for the slow reply! Let me so my best to answer all your questions.

RE: the number of recessed lights, I put in 11. 3 above the stage on their own circuit, and then around the room I did 3 on each of the sides and two on the back. It is a lot of light when all the lights are on. Plenty of light to clean and do whatever you might want to do. I did 6" recessed cans that I bought at Home Depot. I wouldn't change anything with regards to the lighting.

RE: the rope lighting, I have decided what to do (just this week) but haven't done it yet. I'm going to order some SMD LED take. I can lay it flat behind the crown, and it should work awesome. I put an outlet that is feed off a dimmer, in the corner behind the crown. That's how I'll turn on/off and dim the rope lighting. If I were to start over I'd do a couple things differently here. I would have mounted the crown a little higher, to make it easier to tuck rope lighting behind. I also would have used smaller blocks to anchor the crown to the wall (more room for rope lighting) and I would have mitered the corners instead of coping them. Additionally I would put a smaller, single outlet plug behind the crown instead of a traditional duplex outlet.

All of my lighting is controlled by Control4, as is all the equipment in the theater (and the entire home for that matter). This allows me to do cool stuff like have the lighting come on slightly when I pause the movie, have the lights slowly ramp up after a movie ends, have the lights automatically ramp off when the movie starts, etc... I did wire it all myself. In fact, I did everything myself with the exception of the painting and drywall.

All my equipment, including the lighting, is outside of the room and when in the room all controlled by the remote. Using the automation system, I have different activities happen based on the code I enter in to the lock on the theater room door. If I put in the cleaning code, it just turns the lights on 100% and leaves all the A/V alone. If I put in a second code, it means we're going in for the kids to do a program and turns on only the lights over the stage, and to a certain level. A third code means we're watching a movie and turns on all the appropriate equipment and automatically pulls up my movie library. And on and on.

I LOVE having my projector mounted in the soffit. It gives such a clean, cool look. You can't see the projector at all.

If I were doing it again I'd do a wider 2.35:1 screen. Vertical height is great, but my screen is 16:9. I'd stretch the width out to 2.35:1.

I LOVE the acoustically transparent screen as well. There's nothing up front to distract you... Just the picture.

I'm glad I did an exterior door, and two dedicated ducts and a dedicated in room cold air return. We're able to keep the temperature right and it never gets stuffy.

Hopefully that where them all! If you've got any other questions ask away. I enjoy them and look forward to more!

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #53 of 57 Old 07-21-2014, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I went back to reference a post made by W00ly and they appear to be deleted...any ideas why that would happen?

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #54 of 57 Old 07-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Member
 
69glamboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
Sward83, first of all, thanks for the kind words and sorry for the slow reply! Let me so my best to answer all your questions.

RE: the number of recessed lights, I put in 11. 3 above the stage on their own circuit, and then around the room I did 3 on each of the sides and two on the back. It is a lot of light when all the lights are on. Plenty of light to clean and do whatever you might want to do. I did 6" recessed cans that I bought at Home Depot. I wouldn't change anything with regards to the lighting.

RE: the rope lighting, I have decided what to do (just this week) but haven't done it yet. I'm going to order some SMD LED take. I can lay it flat behind the crown, and it should work awesome. I put an outlet that is feed off a dimmer, in the corner behind the crown. That's how I'll turn on/off and dim the rope lighting. If I were to start over I'd do a couple things differently here. I would have mounted the crown a little higher, to make it easier to tuck rope lighting behind. I also would have used smaller blocks to anchor the crown to the wall (more room for rope lighting) and I would have mitered the corners instead of coping them. Additionally I would put a smaller, single outlet plug behind the crown instead of a traditional duplex outlet.

All of my lighting is controlled by Control4, as is all the equipment in the theater (and the entire home for that matter). This allows me to do cool stuff like have the lighting come on slightly when I pause the movie, have the lights slowly ramp up after a movie ends, have the lights automatically ramp off when the movie starts, etc... I did wire it all myself. In fact, I did everything myself with the exception of the painting and drywall.

All my equipment, including the lighting, is outside of the room and when in the room all controlled by the remote. Using the automation system, I have different activities happen based on the code I enter in to the lock on the theater room door. If I put in the cleaning code, it just turns the lights on 100% and leaves all the A/V alone. If I put in a second code, it means we're going in for the kids to do a program and turns on only the lights over the stage, and to a certain level. A third code means we're watching a movie and turns on all the appropriate equipment and automatically pulls up my movie library. And on and on.

I LOVE having my projector mounted in the soffit. It gives such a clean, cool look. You can't see the projector at all.

If I were doing it again I'd do a wider 2.35:1 screen. Vertical height is great, but my screen is 16:9. I'd stretch the width out to 2.35:1.

I LOVE the acoustically transparent screen as well. There's nothing up front to distract you... Just the picture.

I'm glad I did an exterior door, and two dedicated ducts and a dedicated in room cold air return. We're able to keep the temperature right and it never gets stuffy.

Hopefully that where them all! If you've got any other questions ask away. I enjoy them and look forward to more!
Hi Dan.... Do you have any pics of where your switches are located that are run by the Control4 app? What type of switches did you use that are compatible with this setup/ app. You room looks great. I hope you can post some pics of the finished rope lighting. Are you still planning for a star ceiling? Thanks!
69glamboy is offline  
post #55 of 57 Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Hi Dan.... Do you have any pics of where your switches are located that are run by the Control4 app? What type of switches did you use that are compatible with this setup/ app. You room looks great. I hope you can post some pics of the finished rope lighting. Are you still planning for a star ceiling? Thanks!
I used Control4 switches/dimmers. I have over 150 of them in the house. They are located in the hallway right outside the room. They are just on the other side of the wall from where they normally would be.

I can take some pictures if you'd like, but I don't know that they'd be very informative.

Control4 is a very cool system. Runs the whole house.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
post #56 of 57 Old 07-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Member
 
69glamboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
I used Control4 switches/dimmers. I have over 150 of them in the house. They are located in the hallway right outside the room. They are just on the other side of the wall from where they normally would be.

I can take some pictures if you'd like, but I don't know that they'd be very informative.

Control4 is a very cool system. Runs the whole house.
Thanks for the info Dan. I'll have to check for availability up here in Canada. I've downloaded the app, ran it in demo mode. Very cool....
Thanks again.
69glamboy is offline  
post #57 of 57 Old 07-27-2014, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dhendriksen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Utah
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Thanks for the info Dan. I'll have to check for availability up here in Canada. I've downloaded the app, ran it in demo mode. Very cool....
Thanks again.
No problem. It's definitely available in Canada. In fact, I can refer you to a friend up there with his own company (Andrzej at Coolabode) who will take great care of you.

My home theater build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dhendriksen is online now  
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off