"Screen too big!" - need advice for front wall - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20

My wife wanted the biggest screen we could fit so we went with 135" 16:9. (She still thinks we could go bigger :-) and now I would like to build soffits and a stage.

I like Bigs build here with the 2 stage soffits -http://www.avsforum.com/t/1421716/bigmouthindc-summer-fun-just-10-minutes-down-the-parkway/0_100 (See post #63 - second picture) and thought of doing something like that but I don't know what to do for the front wall.

I can probably squeeze in a 4" stage (subwoofers height will be awfully close to the screen height) but not sure what to do with the space over the screen.

This is not an AT screen so I can't build a false wall - plus it would affect the viewing/projector distance.

The top of the screen frame is 4" from the ceiling and the bottom of the screen frame is 18" above the floor.

The subwoofer as it currently sits is 2.5" higher on subdudes. leaves 1.5" to the white screen surface - would have to sit directly on the stage.

Hard to see but here is the space between the top of the screen and the ceiling:

Thoughts? Would it look OK to run soffits on the sides and back of the room and leave the screen wall open?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 02:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 53
How many rows will you have?

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Shawn - I would eventually like to build a riser and have 2 rows.

Currently I have 6 chairs and the center chair is just over 15' from the front wall. (Coaster Showtime)
The projector lens is right about 15' to the screen as well. It is an epson 6010.

Also - as you can see in the pictures, my surround and rear speakers stick out pretty far so I am trying to figure out how to fit them into the soffit equation as well.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 53
HI Jimmy,

Well, there are some issues there. It's tough to see from the picture, but it looks like your rear surrounds appear to be too far back of your listening area. Do you have additional pictures you can share?

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
CEDIA Certified Professional EST II - HAA Level III Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #5 of 6 Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Here you go:

Here is a layout from the GC for when he was finishing the basement - finished ceiling height is 93"
(Just noticed I have one of the front Sub Woofers shown as a Blue box - should be a Black box in the drawing)

Left front view:

Right Surround

Left Surround

Rear Surrounds

Another of the Rear Surrounds

Component Cabinet

Right surround looking forward

I originally planned to use smaller speakers that would fit in the cut outs on the columns but things changed after the build. And of course they continue changing :-)
post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

So I spoke with Shawn (SierraMikeBravo) from the Erskine Group and I decided to go with their Pro Theater Layout service. I received the plans today and am very happy with what they created for me.

I will have to go with a smaller screen (also decided to go 2.39 instead of 16:9) but I now have plans to complete the theater so that it really looks, feels, and sounds like a theater.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page