Star Ceiling Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2012, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I know I'm going to catch some flack for even asking this, but I've tried searching and can't find the particular thread I'm looking for. I remember reading here somewhere about a guy who built star field panels and wrapped them in fabric, then mounted them to the ceiling. I want to do something like this in my theater because I have some plumbing above the center of the theater that I'd like to maintain access (albiet difficult access). So my plan was to use 1/4" smooth plywood with some kind of dimensional lumber on the backside for rigidity. I would drill all my holes in each panel, then paint the panels black and wrap them in fabric. Then push the fiber optic strands through, clip them to length, strain relieve the backside,and here's where the plan derails.......how the heck do I attach these things to the ceiling with something that you don't really see, but is removable (i.e. screws)? I was thinking black drywall screws, but I think if I use those on the outside of the fabric, they will be seen by the viewers. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2012, 07:02 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 69
there is two of them both a awesome

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1117148/saga-of-the-old-vic

http://www.avsforum.com/t/574704/sandmans-home-theater-construction-begins
Old 11-28-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks snickers. Sandman's thread was the one I was remembering from long ago.

From what I gather, he just attached it with velcro and finish nails. That's pretty much the only way I could think of as well, unless someone knows of a better way?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:32 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Old 11-28-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I helped a friend hang his star ceiling. It was semi open on the top which it sounds like you want. I forget his exact building materials but I think he may have used (4) pieces of 3/4" MDF all attached together using a 2x2 frame. It was a huge panel and weighed in at over 400 lbs if I had to guess. He attached it to the bottom of the floor joists using eyebolts, s-hooks, and heavy chain. Actually worked out pretty well. Only issue is that during heavy bass scenes you can occasionally hear a chain rattle. But, if you ever needed access above, you could gradually walk the panel down by lowering the chain in each corner.