Ash's Theater Project - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-26-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now that I have the framing almost finished, I finally decided to start a thread here.
I would be posting pictures and updates as the project proceeds. My setup will not have a dedicated room which makes things a bit harder but I'm planning to get the best out of this current layout.

In this image, I'm looking at the theater and bar area. I have the framing almost done on this side.

This image shows the layout of the floor. the red area is raised seating and I've changed the design of it already. I have a few design ideas on mind and will be posting some 3d plans here shortly.

Stay tuned!

Thanks for looking.

Ash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

A lot is happening here besides my basement project.

So I got the framing almost done and here are some photos.

Before the platform

Platform built.

So I've seen several projects here that when people build their platform, they either use sand or insulation. I can understand why they would use insulation but what's the science behind using sand? my platform is secured to the back wall. I will use some moisture barriers at the bottom then use insulation but I wanted to know if there are any recommendations. I used 2x6 treated for building the platform and will use OSB for the platform floor. this is my goal for the day. please advise before I screw the floor down.

Thanks and stay tuned.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
The sand goes under the areas where your subwoofers sit. It helps to reduce resonance created from the bass.
spider9 likes this.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Would it be okay with regular insulation (R-13) and no sand? this would be a seating area. I do plan to put a sub woofer on this platform somewhere.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
You'll be fine. The sand in theory provides for some tighter base, but as long as the chamber isn't empty, it will certainly help.
spider9 likes this.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn_hokie View Post

You'll be fine. The sand in theory provides for some tighter base, but as long as the chamber isn't empty, it will certainly help.

was talking to the Home Depot guy. he said no insulation at least not the paper faced ones. this platform would be covered with carpet so I'm not seeing any issue but putting this much insulation won't cost me a lot and will probably stop me from regretting later!

I have some 1/2" OSB boards. thinking of putting two of those to form the floor. will put glue between the boards of course.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Question about the floor. do any of you think the 1/2" OSB would be okay for the flooring or do I need to double that.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

I have a question about the projector minimum throw distance. The way I did the framing, and the location I'm planning to place the projector, seems like I would have 13' distance from the lens to the screen. my screen would be 12' wide (not diagonal). I haven't decided on the aspect ratio yet. I plan to buy a 3d 1080p projector.

http://youtu.be/sIOPqKFT1bI
On this video you can see I'm planning to put the projector inside the soffit box.
Please advise.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

what do you use for creating a sound barrier on the basement ceiling? I was told fiberglass insulation works well. I'm not planning to use a suspended ceiling system. The local hardware store carries some type of drywall/board that they recommended for creating sound barrier. I just need some recommendations on what would be ideas and cost effective.

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider9 View Post

I have a question about the projector minimum throw distance....

Try this calculator at Projector Central:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/projection-calculator-pro.cfm