2Likes

post #361 of 462 Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
congradulations!

Does that include planning and designs?

If it includes planning, I've got 20 years on you from the "Having a theater in the house might be kind of neat" idea. I have a room full of wood and dust and you are already on 2.0! biggrin.gif European efficiency! smile.gif

Winterfell theatre build - working title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 462 Old 03-11-2014, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWCR View Post

Right there with ya brother. It's all worth it in the end. Well, that's what I hear anyway. I can vouch for "It's all worth it NEAR the end" though... tongue.gif

Good to know, good to know! Thanks.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #363 of 462 Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post

congradulations!

Does that include planning and designs?

If it includes planning, I've got 20 years on you from the "Having a theater in the house might be kind of neat" idea. I have a room full of wood and dust and you are already on 2.0! biggrin.gif European efficiency! smile.gif

Yes, it actually does. It's since I got the idea and had it signed off by SWMBO. First picture I took was three days later, and the only thing done before that was cleaning out old stuff.

I do have a minitheater too, which I put to some use watching LoTR1 @ REF-12 last night. Makes one wonder what I need the big theater for, I don't see any reason to watch louder than that...
(although the speakers in the cinema will play at MUCH lower distortion levels at the same level, and the subwoofers will dig much deeper, so I guess that is the answer besides the bigger screen and the cinema chairs...)

post #364 of 462 Old 03-16-2014, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have taken down some of the plastic and a few square meters of insulation and started up a small heating element and let's see how that works out. If it does manage to keep the temperature, then I can go on and be about a month ahead of (last year's) schedule.

post #365 of 462 Old 03-16-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

Yes, it actually does. It's since I got the idea and had it signed off by SWMBO. First picture I took was three days later, and the only thing done before that was cleaning out old stuff.

I do have a minitheater too, which I put to some use watching LoTR1 @ REF-12 last night. Makes one wonder what I need the big theater for, I don't see any reason to watch louder than that...
(although the speakers in the cinema will play at MUCH lower distortion levels at the same level, and the subwoofers will dig much deeper, so I guess that is the answer besides the bigger screen and the cinema chairs...)

2 years, idea to theater 1.0. I hate you! biggrin.gif

I do the exact same thing. Ask why I need more than what I have and then feel compelled to justify spending buckets of bucks on bigger and better! What is wrong with us? eek.gif Of course I do this very quietly so the spousal unit doesn't hear or she would be offering her very definite opinion!!!

post #366 of 462 Old 03-16-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just jim View Post

2 years, idea to theater 1.0. I hate you! biggrin.gif

I do the exact same thing. Ask why I need more than what I have and then feel compelled to justify spending buckets of bucks on bigger and better! What is wrong with us? eek.gif Of course I do this very quietly so the spousal unit doesn't hear or she would be offering her very definite opinion!!!

Follow the Nike slogan!

Honestly, the main reason would not be either of the mentioned ones, even though they are quite important too. The main reason is that the cinema build could be done with close to no restrictions regarding acoustic treatments and similarly not very much physical obstacles (doorways, windows, radiators, whatever). From what I've learned over the past decade, the importance of a good, well treated room is probably the most important one for the end result, and that's not achievable in either our livingroom nor our tv-room. I'm fortunately blessed with a livingroom that was fundamentally good even before the small treatments that's been possible to do, so the stereo works fine, but turning it into a theater would have been a nightmare.

post #367 of 462 Old 03-19-2014, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Looks like it will stay above 6C (~43F) the next couple of days, so I may decide to have a go at sealing the first three "holes". Did a calculation on how much caulk I will be needing ( caulkulation?) and had the store give me a better price on it. Actually got a very decent discount on it. smile.gif

post #368 of 462 Old 03-21-2014, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have gotten rid of almost all of the ceiling insulation now, temperatures stable. Have about a carload left which is on the cinema side of the back wall, so I'm contemplating letting it stay for now while working on the "machinery room" side.

avs63.jpg

Used up 1½ tube (310ml) of caulk on the T&G cracks, so YEAH! I've done the first constructive operation for this year! smile.gifsmile.gif

post #369 of 462 Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 PM

You need to pay special attention to the space above the block wall. The rim joists are sitting on the outside edge of the block. You would definitely have a crack to the outside under the joist. Start with caulking the crack. Maybe pack it with sound bat (best would have been 1/2 lb spray foam which would stick to the block, joist and floor and fill the void.) and run 5/8 DW or OSB up the block to the underside of the floor boards. Seal all joints with caulk. Are you doing the separate ceiling joist sitting on the wall in this area? They would all be inside of this "top of block" space.

In the last week we melted a foot of snow, gained 6" of snow, melted that 6" plus some and tonight we are supposed to get another 6" +/-. The wind is starting up. Winter in Canada.biggrin.gif

post #370 of 462 Old 03-22-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes, there are full joist height "holes" to the outside there. That's one of the two major flaws of the building which I am correcting. It will be drywall with dual layers of 3mm bitumen foil (car dampening material) 70mm insulation, drywall+GG+drywall and a good dose of both caulk and spray foam.

Heard on the news that the first fresh potatoes had came out of the ground here now. Definitely spring here and it's very early.

post #371 of 462 Old 03-22-2014, 11:57 PM

That should do it!

Gee our news was about the Tulips coming up through the snow and getting buried in fresh snow...biggrin.gif

post #372 of 462 Old 03-23-2014, 01:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'm well aware before anyone points it out that closing it like that and then adding the extra inner wall will make this part triple leaf, but given the differences in size and stiffness, I'm hedging a bet that it's a lesser evil that just a bat in that volume with just a single dw to the outside. And It seems to work well for the 4/7ths already done.

Mounted a thin piece of wood in the top edge for the first two, so there's something to set the dw againstin the top. At the bottom it sits against the masonite that's already there and I'll use som angle brackets from the front as well.

post #373 of 462 Old 03-30-2014, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quite a lot easier now that the lift is invented, than when I balanced it on a hand and my head last year biggrin.gif:
avs64.jpg

Then adding some bitumen foil (3mm) to the drywall.... heating it to as warm as one can tolerate holding to put up....
avs65.jpg

Now we're on summer time (daylight savings) so that'll give me an hour better light/temperature for the parts I do outside. smile.gif

post #374 of 462 Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 74
I bet that lift makes things WAY easier eek.gifcool.gif
post #375 of 462 Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

I bet that lift makes things WAY easier eek.gifcool.gif

Yes, it does. It's not as fast as a commercial/rental one, but I'm not in a hurry, and it cost me very little as well. smile.gif

post #376 of 462 Old 04-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Nightlord, you are very motivational! I was feeling so guilty that I've gotten out all my artwork (again) and am now actually in the process of cutting mattes and framing about 40 photographs/prints/engravings and paintings! After 20 years in the house, I'm finally getting something seriously organized on the walls. Now it will be a "home". biggrin.gif

...AND I'm working on preliminary drawings for the HT space! Hopefully I'll get them posted "soon". rolleyes.gif

All is good!

I can see in your last pictures how porous that block is. Wow! Can you blow through it? eek.gif

post #377 of 462 Old 04-02-2014, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

Artwork is good. smile.gif

"Soon", would that be before summer, before new years eve or in the current decade? wink.gifbiggrin.gif

I doubt you can. There might be a theoretical possibility that a block could have a tiny winding passage, but I'm certain the process is optimized to avoid it. Those clay balls would be still wet when the blocks are pressed, so the surfaces are probably the most porous part of them.

post #378 of 462 Old 04-04-2014, 05:36 PM

"Soon" ...pushing for before summer, New Years is my fear, but I afraid Decade may be reality... push me! biggrin.gif

Matting going well. I'm trying find a V nailer to assemble the frames. They are 1/2 the price in the States but the shipping is ridiculous to Toronto. $8 to Buffalo, NY (about a 3 hr round trip) or $60 -75 to Toronto through the border (there is no duty and taxes are not included)!

post #379 of 462 Old 04-04-2014, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Might be because the truck driver has to be sourced from Mexico, as neither americans nor canadians want to pass the border. biggrin.gif

post #380 of 462 Old 04-18-2014, 02:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Everything parged with the primer red base now, and real parging begun. First layer (out of two) up on one of the short walls - took 5 25-kilo sacks. I had calculated 55 sacks, but based on this part that seems a bit excessive, somewhere around 40 currently seems more reasonable estimate. Have five sacks more at home, but I doubt I can buy any more during Easter anyway.

post #381 of 462 Old 04-29-2014, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now the first layer is parged and the last one well started. If I can keep up the current progress, I'll soon be three months ahead of last year's build!! I started on the inner structure around 5th of August last year and that's soon coming up... Quite a good idea to wish for money/giftcards for Christmas! smile.gif

This is an amazing spring, it's been summer temperatures today and the garden is coming along very nicely.... Magnolias in full bloom and rhododendron opening.... And some years we'd still have snow...

post #382 of 462 Old 04-29-2014, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Glad to hear it. Our spring is weird here in the Central US. Everything is really behind, since it's been so cold. But I'm sure that'll change soon . . . biggrin.gif
post #383 of 462 Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post

Glad to hear it. Our spring is weird here in the Central US. Everything is really behind, since it's been so cold. But I'm sure that'll change soon . . . biggrin.gif

Enjoy the skiing while it lasts then! biggrin.gif;)

The Japanese cherry tree is in bloom now, and mine is late compared to other trees in the surroundings (either it's because mine is still young, or the dark leaved ones are later by nature?). The Ginkgo needles have started to bud as well. 7 pm now and it's still ok with just t-shirt in the garden, but I guess once the sun ducks down behind the neighbor's rooftop, that'll change.

post #384 of 462 Old 05-01-2014, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

40 sacks seems to be correct, only had 38 at home and the remaining job looks like two. Hope to get that done tomorrow. (Dusted will take somewhat longer, methinks)

My elbow wants me to add that it hopes I will never ever do any more parging for the rest of my life
just jim likes this.

post #385 of 462 Old 05-05-2014, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If all goes according to plan, I'll start buying the timber for the walls today. According to calculations, I'll need 37½ 2"x4":s (8' long, that is). Won't be able to get all those in one carload, though. I see in my notes I bought at most a dozen at a time last year, but I don't remember if that was down to car or storage possibilities during build.

I think I have decided on an method to decouple the roof on either side of the attic hatch as well, now only to get the company to ship the clips across the pond as well... *fingers crossed*

post #386 of 462 Old 05-06-2014, 12:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Got home a dozen 2"x4" and four 1"x4" and that's about the maximum I can take, so I guess 14 2"x4" could be possible. They were 270cm long, rather than anticipated 250, so I might not be needing the full count if I get more crossbraces out of them due to that.

I need a little rethink around the door, I realized last night that one of the new ceiling joists ends up just above the door, perhaps a 2x4 section propping up the 1x4 as a T ?

post #387 of 462 Old 05-06-2014, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post

I realized last night that one of the new ceiling joists ends up just above the door, perhaps a 2x4 section propping up the 1x4 as a T ?
photo? If I'm reading you right, I think it would be normal and best to double or triple or quadruple the door header to make up the height.
post #388 of 462 Old 05-07-2014, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Photo will come. What I mean is the beam going across the room (which the ceiling will attach to) will not be able to have an upright 4x2 directly beneath it as support, as there is a door there. The top board I've used is only an inch high, that obviously cannot take the load on it's own, so I was thinking of how to support it the "easiest ok" way.

post #389 of 462 Old 05-09-2014, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I upgraded the top board to a 4x2, which might be enough support, but still considering reinforcing it. Have put up new inner wall on the right side from where I left off last year and past the door. Good progress. Probably would have been further if it had not been raining so much last night (doing the sawing outdoors). Some hail even. I could hear it faintly by the door, walking into the completed part it could be initially heard from direction of door, but then not at all either. It's so nice and quiet that a single little daddy longlegs is easily heard mucking about... smile.gif

post #390 of 462 Old 05-10-2014, 06:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So.... some pics.... new wall framing coming up... here's how it continues from last year's build:
avs66.jpg

Here's the promised one how it is around door. I have added a 2x4 vertically as extra support, I spoke to a building engineer at the place I bought the timber, he thought the lying 2x4 would be enough, but adding the support would definitely remove all needs to even think about calculating, thus I've done so. I put it on the front edge rather than as a T based on where the pivot point will be.

avs67.jpg

And here's laying some new track for the wall on the gable side:
avs68.jpg

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page