The Larch Theater (a not-a-19.6-system) - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes

post #481 of 674 Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I was going to say something "witty" about the Soviet way, but someone is listening...and this is not a political site.

My computer downloaded an update from Microsoft yesterday and has become unstable. It's taken 2 restarts to get this far in this text. So hurry up and fix your computer. It's creating an instability in the space-time continuum!

Winterfell theatre build - working title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 674 Old 07-22-2014, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Well, after having replaced DVD-drive, graphics card and put in a new hard drive, the THIRD 8.1 I burned finally managed to install it. (Yes, I do have a valid license for it - I've got a MicroSoft Developers Network (MSDN) account). Have copied our 'profiles' back too, but I haven't yet managed to re-install all the software on it, and it's still on it's side with the belly opened up. So I don't think your instability originates from here.

Have you checked windows update for any other pending updates?

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #483 of 674 Old 07-24-2014, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Enough stuff moved out from cinema part for me to begin doubling the back platform floor. Put down the first three yesterday with a little of the last remainder of the GG below. I think I will need ten of those "chipboards" (6'x2'), bought eight yesterday. Have some other stuff happening this weekend too, but with some luck I'll complete it before monday.

Upcoming after that, making a little hideaway for curtain rail for the screen drapes and after that's in place I can start doing the ceiling diffusion.

post #484 of 674 Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Almost completed. Probably would have had if it had been 5C less hot, but it's just a think sliver left but I needed to move some stuff first before I can go at it and I did not complete that move during yesterday.
( We've had scorching temperatures here for a week now and I think I haven't fully managed to reach the amount of water I should have been drinking. )

post #485 of 674 Old 07-28-2014, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Flooring done!

Furniture move time... still freaking hot and since I need to skip work to drive family around to doctors and dentists tomorrow, I think I need to drive to work around 2am and get something important done and dusted before 7...

post #486 of 674 Old 07-28-2014, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 227
So, I'm not calling anybody a pansie or anything (and I understand you probably don't have air conditioning), but weather.com said the high temp today in Gothenburg (I don't know where you are) was 78F. Here in Atlanta, it was 91F. How hot was it?
post #487 of 674 Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefulFred View Post
So, I'm not calling anybody a pansie or anything (and I understand you probably don't have air conditioning), but weather.com said the high temp today in Gothenburg (I don't know where you are) was 78F. Here in Atlanta, it was 91F. How hot was it?
It's been 87F or slightly above that around here.
My wife and kids were in Turkey just a few weeks ago and they had 113F there - and they all tell me it wasn't half as bad as the heat we're having, it's all up to the humidity I guess...

No, we don't have A/C in houses here. In cars, at workplaces and in stores - but not at home, unless you're got an air-to-air heat pump inverter you can run backwards.

Last edited by Nightlord; 07-28-2014 at 07:25 PM.
post #488 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Made the "inverted U-shape" crossbar in above the screen where the rail for the curtains will hide and brought out all the boards for the ceiling diffusion. The remains from the glue came off reasonably by use of a chisel. Got the 6 first up and repainted. It'll be about 70 in total.

Today unfortunately we suddenly got rain and I hadn't covered the heap of wood, so I'm a bit nervous about how it will look tonight - if I can use it or not. ( Forecast hadn't shown any rain incoming. )

Don't know if I've written about it before, but one thing with this very flat paint - when I was doing the computer models, it was hard to get a non-reflective black not to come out in a greenish grey where lit, and it's actually looking very like that IRL too, so the lighting model wasn't flawed. It does seem like this paint is totally free of any specular reflection which is good, but one cannot help wonder if it would be possible to suck out the direct lighting even better too. I think I should try out a small can of Rosco just to see if it can get any better or not.

post #489 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 44
post #490 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
Mawr pic tures!

post #491 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

post #492 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
is that toilet paper?
Safety equipment. "In case of BS, break seal."
JRock3x8 and HopefulFred like this.

post #493 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Addendum to last reply -

I think it's definitely a question of humidity... The newspaper first page claimed we've had 100% humidity (sounds impossible, but I honestly don't know How it's defined and I definitely don't trust newspapers for fact), but I took some hygrometer readings myself today. Today wasn't a bad day compared to before and I measured 86% at most. Now in the evening it's not bad at all for me and it reads 61% which is still on the wet side but fortunately down to 61F. It's rained today too, of course since I had unprotected wood for the cinema on the porch...

post #494 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Once you get up into the 80s, humidity can be horrible. When we occasionally get dry air here in Atlanta, it feels like the temperature comes down ten degrees.

Shame about the wood; is it going to dry and be okay?
post #495 of 674 Old 07-30-2014, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Once you get up into the 80s, humidity can be horrible. When we occasionally get dry air here in Atlanta, it feels like the temperature comes down ten degrees.

Shame about the wood; is it going to dry and be okay?
I think so. I cleaned about fifteen and took them in, so they'll get a day more before any of it goes up. And the rest is not uncovered anymore in case we get more rain. And I do believe there came quite a bit less rain here than I had at work, fortunately.

post #496 of 674 Old 08-01-2014, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh my... amazing how difficult is getting hold of a can of paint... I had already tried locating the local retailer for it (Rosco) last year and non of the addresses found by google had any store, so I assumed if it existed - it was run out of an apartment somewhere only.

So I talked to the importer instead and they said they send it my post, so now I felt like doing that... so I got a page to register myself and put my social security number instead of company registration number on it... next day I got a semi-grumpy man calling from there telling me that they do not have any financial routines to bill private persons and wondered what line of business I was in (!).

Back to my mail guy, he'd gotten some heat from the semi-grumpy man to I guess, and he said "we'll send it, and let the local retailer just handle the billing". Half an hour later the lady local retailer called, really grumpy, telling me she does not bill private people at all after having been ripped off too many times and what the hell was I to do with theater paint (in a tone telling 'it's too good for someone like you')....

So back to my mailguy again... and he said the same to me... "just how difficult can it be to sell/buy a can of paint?" So now I got an invoice by mail and paid it up front and they'll send it when it's verified. Let's hope I do get it... and if it is any good, that getting the big can will be less problematic.

post #497 of 674 Old 08-01-2014, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 335
It never ceases to amaze me the difficulty with getting products in many countries outside the United States. It ends up being a situation like you describe, or the product is significantly more expensive than it should be because of taxes, high shipping fees and even import duties, fees and other handling charges. You end up getting screwed at every turn.

I work for a company headquartered in Europe and am being asked all the time by my colleagues to bring items with me because it would be so much less expensive. In many cases the cost of the item is less than half what it would be than if purchased in Europe.
post #498 of 674 Old 08-01-2014, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
It never ceases to amaze me the difficulty with getting products in many countries outside the United States. It ends up being a situation like you describe, or the product is significantly more expensive than it should be because of taxes, high shipping fees and even import duties, fees and other handling charges. You end up getting screwed at every turn.

I work for a company headquartered in Europe and am being asked all the time by my colleagues to bring items with me because it would be so much less expensive. In many cases the cost of the item is less than half what it would be than if purchased in Europe.
Sweden has 25% sales tax (VAT) on most things, so that's always added when importing from outside Europe. Import duties vary depending on what it is, but 6% is a good guess, so anything imported from the US goes up by 31%... AND THAT INCLUDES THE SHIPPING COST TOO!

The price those decoupling clips cost me was ridiculous compared to what you'd pay, the GreenGlue also cost quite a lot more. I don't want to know what you pay for the Rosco paint either.

post #499 of 674 Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
I don't want to know what you pay for the Rosco paint either.
One quart is $19.95 USD and one gallon is $45.61 USD delivered.
post #500 of 674 Old 08-01-2014, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
One quart is $19.95 USD and one gallon is $45.61 USD delivered.
And getting one quart delivered here is $60

post #501 of 674 Old 08-01-2014, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sorry about the unsharpness, I think I'm starting to reach the point of not being able to take good pics of everything by hand and I really hate getting the tripod out every other day.
Flash one looked worse, so this is my shaking hands blurry instead.

post #502 of 674 Old 08-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry about the unsharpness, I think I'm starting to reach the point of not being able to take good pics of everything by hand and I really hate getting the tripod out every other day.
Flash one looked worse, so this is my shaking hands blurry instead.
If you want sharper pics, rest your left arm on your chest with your hand on the lens while youre shooting with your right arm.
post #503 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you want sharper pics, rest your left arm on your chest with your hand on the lens while youre shooting with your right arm.
Yeah, that is my normal shooting position, but perhaps I didn't manage to lock it down when crouching. But it doesn't give me nearly enough stops, this is 1/6th of a second at ISO-1600!

post #504 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Halfway done.

(locked arms, leaning on side wall, photoshop sharpening...)

post #505 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

yah 1/6th is pretty brutal for sharpness. I'm impressed you got it as good as you did.
post #506 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
yah 1/6th is pretty brutal for sharpness. I'm impressed you got it as good as you did.
Me too when I checked the numbers.... 1/60th is more what I need

(Yes, I'm lazy, I very seldom do anything besides the automatic.... It's a Nikon D90 with the 'standard zoom'. )

post #507 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

someone once told me the max you want is 1 over the focal length so if you're shooting 50mm you want 1/50 at the most and less (shorter duration) is better.

I have definitely been in those situations where you just don't have enough light to make that happen though.
post #508 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
someone once told me the max you want is 1 over the focal length so if you're shooting 50mm you want 1/50 at the most and less (shorter duration) is better.

I have definitely been in those situations where you just don't have enough light to make that happen though.
Yes.... though I'm not sure if that needs recalculation when it's not a full-frame sensor or not.

I've definitely gone black enough for that. Tripods should have a snap mount rather than a screw, though... would make it less of an "obstacle".

post #509 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes.... though I'm not sure if that needs recalculation when it's not a full-frame sensor or not.

I've definitely gone black enough for that. Tripods should have a snap mount rather than a screw, though... would make it less of an "obstacle".
do you ever just leave the shoe on the bottom of the camera so that you can just snap it back on the tripod?
post #510 of 674 Old 08-03-2014, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
do you ever just leave the shoe on the bottom of the camera so that you can just snap it back on the tripod?
Shoe? There's no shoe, just the screw hole.

Or do you mean something from the tripod? Don't think there's anything coming off that one either.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
carlsson , ino audio , nad 208 , rotel 1090

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page