post #541 of 659 Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
Nice job on the theater! It looks like you have put a lot of hard work into it.

Quick question, is there a reason why all your surround speakers look like your atmos speaker with tweeters added to the top?
Thanks.

Well... In that case it's dolby doing the copying as this speaker has been around for 18 years. But it is designed to be used in multiples, so it's quite possible that the angling has the same physical reason as Dolby's... To avoid you hearing the direct signal possibly.The tweeters actually help with nulling out the speaker, as they are reverse phase and running in parallell to the fullrange element. So perhaps these are the perfect atmos speakers without knowing it? I will not use them for that, not unless I know that to be a fact at least, so I'll try out their smaller brother instead (the white one) which I already have four of lying around (was going to make my own VOG channel and use them for that....)

Under construction: the Larch theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 659 Old 08-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 51
They definitely have a unique look to them.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #543 of 659 Old 08-14-2014, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
They definitely have a unique look to them.
Yes. Probably won't appeal to anyone that's into pretty things. Myself I only care about what they do... And that in itself turns them into something pretty.

post #544 of 659 Old 08-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Plus you can be proud of the fact that they were designed by a master in the art of speaker building.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #545 of 659 Old 08-16-2014, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Small channels to run cables for side surround in... most the wall painted, also 5 of 6 panels:

And some cable spools out from storage:

This is cable for oldfashioned telephones... 2x 0.7mm solid conductor cable. Just perfect.

post #546 of 659 Old 08-17-2014, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Both sides surrounds now have wires drawn. Have finished repainting the ceiling with Rosco, have the front right diffusion panels to paint and the cable channels and some minor area on the front left wall that I can't get to right now.

post #547 of 659 Old 08-17-2014, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

All painted now (at least on this side of the protective plastic over the screen).

If I didn't have the carpet incoming*, I probably would have put the chairs into position and got the sound and picture up and running.

* when = no idea

post #548 of 659 Old 08-18-2014, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Actually gave the back wall diffusion 'bars' a repaint today as they'd gotten a bit shabby when the ceiling above was taken down and so on.

Carpet arriving tomorrow... The 'rubber mat' to go below it a day later at the earliest according to reports today. I may be attempting going 'on steam' this weekend then.

post #549 of 659 Old 08-19-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Carpet(s)!
JRock3x8 likes this.

post #550 of 659 Old 08-19-2014, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Have almost moved everything off the back platform besides the carpet and a lamp... Sometimes I feel it's not so big a room after the wall rebuild... But heck... It's still quite possible for a couple to dance a good waltz on the back platform alone. ( Yes, I tried - I like to dance. )

Last edited by Nightlord; 08-19-2014 at 12:15 PM.
post #551 of 659 Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Wow. What a transformation!

Can you elaborate on the wood panels on the ceiling?
post #552 of 659 Old 08-19-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post
Wow. What a transformation!

Can you elaborate on the wood panels on the ceiling?
Thanks.

Well, I don't know all the theory/thinking behind it, it came with the acoustic design for the room I bought consultancy for, but I have seem it mentioned online how much more efficient it is in that direction compared to across. It hasof course to do with breaking up the ceiling reflex, but what frequencies it's aimed for and if the slight angle relative the fronts has anything to do with it I don't know.

What I do know is that it's not hyper-critical as I got a reasonably wide range of board size and spacing to choose. I also went the cheap route by just adding one board with spacing onto the drywall, you could have done all board with one resting on the edges of the upper one (that probably has a good and proper english name, but I don't know it so I hope you could still follow me).

What I have noticed when painting is the angle difference you notice when looking across compared to along, so I can't help feel that this somehow has been figured out as a benefit to handle the reflex, but I may be overthinking it. . But I would not put it past my designer to come up with something like that.

My room doesn't have anything that special in the ceiling compared to some other rooms he has designed, the most special in my case is probably that he could place a false wall about 1/3 in to combat the longitudinal modes. Don't know if I've seen that before.

But in any case... If you're considering doing this instead of a flat ceiling, by all means do! My boards are 3" wide and 1" high approx. and I put them with 2" spacing. (70x21mm, 50mm spacing). It will do more than you think. But you can't get a painted star ceiling and placing atmos in-ceiling speakers would take some extra doing.

Sorry for not knowing more, but one can't expect the pros to spill all their secrets when they do a job, can we? I'm just blessed with having the speaker designer do the acoustic design too, so I know the thinking of both will match.

post #553 of 659 Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightlord View Post
Thanks.

Well, I don't know all the theory/thinking behind it, it came with the acoustic design for the room I bought consultancy for, but I have seem it mentioned online how much more efficient it is in that direction compared to across. It hasof course to do with breaking up the ceiling reflex, but what frequencies it's aimed for and if the slight angle relative the fronts has anything to do with it I don't know.

What I do know is that it's not hyper-critical as I got a reasonably wide range of board size and spacing to choose. I also went the cheap route by just adding one board with spacing onto the drywall, you could have done all board with one resting on the edges of the upper one (that probably has a good and proper english name, but I don't know it so I hope you could still follow me).
Yea. You lost me on how could use another board on edge of others. Any pictures to reference? This looks much easier than trying to use absorption on the ceiling for sure.

How are you attaching them? Are you using glue and mechanical attachments? I really like the look too. And saw something in one of your first photos that used boards in a similar manner that I liked, I think?

Edit. I went back and looked at the side wall picture of surround that had boards too. The image was darker on my other screen and made it look like the boards were angled in and out between other boards when in fact it was just the dark painted wall under the boards.

Last edited by audiovideoholic; 08-20-2014 at 09:55 AM.
post #554 of 659 Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yea. You lost me on how could use another board on edge of others. Any pictures to reference? This looks much easier than trying to use absorption on the ceiling for sure.
Sorry. Could it possibly be called overlocking?

This is a pic of when you do it with a wall. Dont pay attention to what's behind, it's just the surface I mean:

Quote:
How are you attaching them? Are you using glue and mechanical attachments? I really like the look too. And saw something in one of your first photos that used boards in a similar manner that I liked, I think?
Well, I did the same in theater 1.0 and it's the same boards as I managed to same them even if they had to spend a year outside. Originally I had both glued and scr3wed them, but after sitting and painstakingly removing the glue residue this year, I only screwed them this time.

Quote:
Edit. I went back and looked at the side wall picture of surround that had boards too. The image was darker on my other screen and made it look like the boards were angled in and out between other boards when in fact it was just the dark painted wall under the boards.
No, it's the back wall not any of the sides. It's 50% board and 50% leaking into a close to two feet false wall stuffed with insulation. Wall is situated at about 1/3 into the 'real room' so it had a good function with the lowest fundamental longitudinal resonances where they all have combined significant particle movement.

About they darkness: sorry everyone, I guess my screen if brighter than most. So if you loose out details, it's not per intentions, it's because they show clearly on my screen.

Last edited by Nightlord; 08-20-2014 at 11:12 AM.
post #555 of 659 Old 08-21-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you. That makes since and can see why you left out the bottom layer of boards!
post #556 of 659 Old 08-21-2014, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
"board and batten"

Winterfell theatre build - working title
post #557 of 659 Old 08-21-2014, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you have any idea if placing the boards in cross sections as well as length sections would help any more or hurt? I was thinking like a checker board pattern of "each checker board block" being orientated in the opposite direction. Would add character to the ceiling for sure and if added diffusion all the better. I've been putting off room treatments way too long and really need to find a design I'd enjoy doing just to give me that little push lol.
post #558 of 659 Old 08-22-2014, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Do you have any idea if placing the boards in cross sections as well as length sections would help any more or hurt? I was thinking like a checker board pattern of "each checker board block" being orientated in the opposite direction. Would add character to the ceiling for sure and if added diffusion all the better. I've been putting off room treatments way too long and really need to find a design I'd enjoy doing just to give me that little push lol.
Well, if it would have been better (for my room), then I feel quite sure my acoustician would have done so. But I do know he adapts designs depending on each room, so I can't say what is best for yours. But I'm definitely sure that doing SOMETHING is better than not. And there's also always the placebo effect from something we like, so if that design will be more pleasing to your eye, go for it.

post #559 of 659 Old 08-22-2014, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So the carpet underlay arrived yesterday...

Damn heavy... 40kg each roll (~88lbs).

All rolled out:

And some carpet on:

post #560 of 659 Old 08-22-2014, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Everything on the lower platform now move up onto the carpet, stair steps cut to current room size. 32 cm I had to cut off (1'1") so that's how much thicker the new walls are.

Bought a vacuum cleaner today, and that was a lucky break, because after sept 1st the apparently can't sell any more powerful than 1300W because of some misguided environmental law. ( better to take the cost at the hospitals when more people get allergies? ) Do they really think people vacuum that much that a factor two will do anything. If it takes twice as long to clean they haven't saved anything either... Just stolen peoples time...

post #561 of 659 Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
So the carpet underlay arrived yesterday...

Damn heavy... 40kg each roll (~88lbs).

All rolled out:

And some carpet on:

Carpet equates to CLOSE!!!! Looking good!!!!

Now to hang your one billion speakers!
post #562 of 659 Old 08-22-2014, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post
Carpet equates to CLOSE!!!! Looking good!!!!

Now to hang your one billion speakers!
Yes. Thanks.

Some work to do to get a nice rack, but I can probably manage before that too.

Well, it's close to no job, I just need to strip some wire and put the speakers onto their small soft feet and that should be it... Oh, I need to find a stand for the center to play below the screen until I get an AT too. ( The potential Atmos speakers will stay in the box until I can get a 9.1.6 receiver with hdcp 2.2. )

post #563 of 659 Old 08-22-2014, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

BTW, Wifey and I had our 4th (wedding) anniversary yesterday and I got "Metallica- Through the never", so that'll be very interesting to play once the theater is up and reasonably calibrated.

post #564 of 659 Old 08-23-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
BTW, Wifey and I had our 4th (wedding) anniversary yesterday and I got "Metallica- Through the never", so that'll be very interesting to play once the theater is up and reasonably calibrated.

You're like the 5th person I've read about purchasing same Metallica Blueray!

(Insert "Church Lady" gif)

Whatever happened to those who listen to Andrea Bocelli at Verona concert?

post #565 of 659 Old 08-23-2014, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Whatever happened to those who listen to Andrea Bocelli at Verona concert? D
They go straight to hell. Next question?
JRock3x8 likes this.

post #566 of 659 Old 08-24-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Getting closer - carpet about done up front too. Furniture uncovered and in place. Some extra painting done. Center on temporary low stand and connected.

Next up - putting the surrounds up.

post #567 of 659 Old 08-24-2014, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Surrounds up. Electronics fired up for sanity check. Will be rewired for other external amps and re-measured (if I find mic ) some other day. The Sonos came up just fine, despite having been turned off for 1½ years.

post #568 of 659 Old 08-24-2014, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

What projector are you using? Can't remember reading.....

BTW, I was at that Andrea Bocelli concert in Verona in 2001.........15 th anniversary gift to wife.......and it was heaven!
post #569 of 659 Old 08-24-2014, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What projector are you using? Can't remember reading.....
Nothing very fancy, it's an InFocus IN80 which was a "return to shop after repairs" with a good price tag. It's just to survive on until a 4K gets down to what I can imagine paying (around 2017 I anticipate).
It was better than I had hoped, I almost never spot a rainbow even and I'm quite sensitive.

post #570 of 659 Old 08-25-2014, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Rearranged/rewired the rack almost completely today, have just the back surrounds to move to the Marantz MM9000 which is the 'dedicated surround amp' with one channel to spare.

There's also one channel left over in the Rotel 1090 which powers the center channel, they could possibly be used together for a couple of channels of less concern later (surround backs?) as they both have THX gain even if the Rotel has infinite power in comparison.

Took off the extreme-LF gain that is currently in the crossover, ran the quantum of solace prolog and main titles and it felt a bit took much, will probably put some boost back after measuring.

Seems finding my audyssey mic will be one of the toughest jobs in a while, though...

I'm quite pleased with the performance now, even if it's not dialed in.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
carlsson , ino audio , nad 208 , rotel 1090

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page